• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defensive Vs. Aggro playstyles

Does smash 4 reward defensive play more than offensive?

• Yes.

Votes: 135 63.4%
  • No.

Votes: 60 28.2%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 18 8.5%

• Total voters

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
The game has a defensive slant. You can be aggressive but thats on your characters potential for it.
Whoever has the weaker ranged game will have to approach.

Last edited:
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Most (if not all) fighting games (yes, even Melee) have defensive slants.

I think too many people who don't understand what's happening in fighting games see people dashing and wavedashing and moonwalking all over the place and think the game is more aggressive than it is. Melee is a defensive game. Its inherent defensive options suck (shielding, rolling, airdodging) so people use mobility options as a defense.

Fighting games are just inherently defensive. It's never a good idea to commit. If you lose because you approached it's because you got baited by a defensive option. In Brawl and to a lesser extent Smash 4 it's because they shielded your attack. In Melee it's because they feinted using one of melee's numerous movement techniques. Just because people are moving around a lot doesn't mean the game is more aggressive. Please understand this.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I have played a lot of people who try to camp, doesn't work out for them.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I feel like people are afraid to edge guard off stage in this game, but I have made great success with it. I even died sooner than I thought by people who actually jump off the edge to attack or meteor smash. Combining the fact that many people got meteor smashes, meteor canceling (i believe) is gone, and the way ledge hogging works, I would say that highly benefits an offensive play. Air dodging close to the ground pretty much screams "hit me please".

I have been having a blast online and I play heavily on the offensive. I see no issue with how safer rolling is. I am sure it's annoying at high lag matches, and camping will only get you so far. Shulk don'y give a damn about your projectiles
At this point in the metagame, edge guarding is being reworked. In a few months, we'll see some amazing stuff with the new ledges.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I picked other. It really depends on:

1) The flow of the match. Someone with momentum is gonna go in.
2) The character. Some characters are naturally offensive or defensive during the neutral game at low %s, and some can flip between either play style.
3) Player skill and habits. A player with a game plan may just use a character one way or another. That's just how it's gonna be. How rewarding that is depends on him, and how you can respond to that is based on you.

I will say that this game's balance between the two is more like other fighting games now, and you can't just overwhelm your opponent with insane offense (Melee) or wall them out with ridiculous hit-boxes (Brawl). I like the new balance more, save a few overly spam-heavy characters (Toon Link go to hell plzzle).

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
people should just get use to a NEW game. its still very very early. people just expect to be great in less than a week or so at the game. if the game was too offensive, noobs would just be spamming attacks without any skill involved. i havent played the new game yet but from im hearing fighters that campers arent getting the same love like they did in brawl. thats more than enough for me since brawl favored the campers way too much (and still gave them good close attacks) than fighters that needed to be close to you to win. if you can't get around people's rolls either they are very good at using them or you dont know how to play smash.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

I think too many people who don't understand what's happening in fighting games see people dashing and wavedashing and moonwalking all over the place and think the game is more aggressive than it is. Melee is a defensive game. Its inherent defensive options suck (shielding, rolling, airdodging) so people use mobility options as a defense.

Fighting games are just inherently defensive. It's never a good idea to commit. If you lose because you approached it's because you got baited by a defensive option. In Brawl and to a lesser extent Smash 4 it's because they shielded your attack. In Melee it's because they feinted using one of melee's numerous movement techniques. Just because people are moving around a lot doesn't mean the game is more aggressive. Please understand this.
People call it "aggressive", but really I see a lot of Fox or Falcon dittos dash-dancing back and forth across Dreamland 64 or Yoshi's Story. I'm not sure that constitutes aggressive. There's a lot of feinting that goes on, with dash-dancing and wavedashing instead of walking or standing idle to apply offensive pressure. That's the biggest difference between Melee and Smash 4. Melee you're constantly moving to look aggressive, just changing what animation your character is doing to make it look like you might be readying an attack. In Smash 4, when you have superior reach than your opponent your best option is often to walk at them and then either throw something suddenly, or wait for them to accidentally stand inside your reach or panic and throw an attack while you're still out of reach.

Actually, part of the reason Smash 4 feels so defensive isn't just because of rolls, but also because of how ridiculously tight spacing is for a handheld game (especially since it lacks the C-stick). A lot of the time, if an opponent whiffs their spacing and attacks from very slightly out of range, that puts some part of their hurtbox in range of your punish. For example, barely whiffing an FTilt with Link puts his sword arm in range of Mario's DTilt. But if Link gets too close before using his FTilt, he puts himself in range of Mario's attack. The window wherein Link can hit Mario and Mario can't hit back is very, very small, which makes for a game in which approaching is inherently very dangerous.

Last edited:

Sliq

Smash Master
Aggro online doesn't work because the timing and reacting or thrown off due to input lag. I believe defensive play will still be more ideal, but at least aggro MIGHT be an option now.

I think this is the only thing you've ever said that hasn't made me think you were a complete fool. This post is spot on.

The difference is that movement felt fluid in Melee because of how instantly everything happens. Brawl and Smash 4 feel awkward after coming from Melee. I don't think I ever skidded into an attack in my entire career of Melee. If you never played Melee competitively then I'm sure it doesn't feel weird at all, but that responsiveness is something I miss.

Seriously, screw l-canceling and wavedashing. If dash dancing still worked I'd hands down love this game so much more.

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4

You hit the nail on the coffin. Even xD1x brought this up during his 24hr marathon that Melee can be campy at times. I remember there's a Melee match on youtube (I believe it was Mew2king vs Hungrybox, correct me if I'm wrong) and it was a campy match. It was still entertaining despite that. However, defensive play was overshadowed due to how aggressive and offensive the game was.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
In the 45ish hours i've played online I've lost to and won against both play styles an equal amount of times. This game rewards both agro and defensive play-styles. Maybe right now the meta looks more defensive, but when you have people that play for a long time(I've logged around 100 hours total) such as ZeRo saying it's pretty mixed and balanced then I think it's safe to say that's the case.

Basically i'm trying to say it'll reward what ever play-style you choose to play with.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I think a lot of people who answer no, misunderstand the question. The question is, at high level of play, what strategies are most effective? And without a doubt it is defensive strategies. There are characters that can play aggressive, but they are not as effective as the ones that camp. Little Mac is in-your-face but there's just not a lot he can do against a camping Villager, and he is at a disadvantage by making the approach that even his super armor doesn't really seem to help. There's just an enormous amount of startup and ending lag on most moves now, with landing lag, you're better off letting the other person make the first move.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I think a lot of people who answer

If no, misunderstand the question. The question is, at high level of play, what strategies are most effective? And without a doubt it is defensive strategies. There are characters that can play aggressive, but they are not as effective as the ones that camp. Little Mac is in-your-face but there's just not a lot he can do against a camping Villager, and he is at a disadvantage by making the approach that even his super armor doesn't really seem to help. There's just an enormous amount of startup and ending lag on most moves now, with landing lag, you're better off letting the other person make the first move.
You're ALWAYS better off letting the other person make the first move in EVERY game. That includes Melee, Marvel, Skullgirls, whatever. That's how fighting games work, dude. In fact they have to work this way for there to be any competitive depth whatsoever.

The fact of the matter is: competitive fighters are inherently defensive. If you want movement options to replace shields and rolls, just say that. If you like low lag aerials, just say that. If you like to be able to move really fast, just say that. But don't slam Smash 4 for being "defensive." It just exposes your ignorance to how these sorts of games even function at any meaningful level of competition. Imagine a game where shielding was really bad and all moves were pretty laggy, but there weren't movement options either. How do you guess that game would look at high levels? The answer is: it would be really defensive and there would be a ton of time-outs. Good shields are necessary unless you've got some other way to allow players to bait.

Aggressive actions are always risky, period. What is necessary is for those aggressive actions to carry some kind of reward with them, or people will just block the entire match. There's nothing wrong with campy characters or projectiles, not even melee purists have a problem with that. What they have a problem with is like "I got a hit, not I back off because there's no point in continuing." That makes approaching ever, period, a bad idea. That's what they don't like about Brawl.

Smash 4 just doesn't have that problem. It's not even on the same level. Can you guys please have a rudimentary understanding of how fighters and especially Smash work before you start throwing around terms you don't understand? It's not personal, it just hurts the quality of discourse on these forums. Seriously.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Uhm, with Little Mac.. I don't see this game totally rewarding defensive play or being as one sided as people think.

I think right now, it strikes a good balance.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If dash dancing still worked I'd hands down love this game so much more.
There is a form of this in Smash 4 but due to the 3DS being a 3DS it's not easy to pull off and might break and pad.

On the WiiU version it's gonna be a hell of a lot easier with a gamecube to use.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Input lag in for glory leads to ridiculous things like being hit by an Ike forward smash after he blocks your aerial.

Normally though, aggressive playstyles aren't all that bad. Donkey Kon approaching with well spaced bairs is one of the scariest things for me. Either he short hop double bairs after I block the first one and try to punish it. Or he bairs into a headbutt and completely breaks my shield. Or he lands and I try to roll behind him only to get hit by the Down B. Maybe it's just DK though. It doesn't seem safe to use the shield against him at all sometimes.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
You're ALWAYS better off letting the other person make the first move in EVERY game. That includes Melee, Marvel, Skullgirls, whatever. That's how fighting games work, dude. In fact they have to work this way for there to be any competitive depth whatsoever.

The fact of the matter is: competitive fighters are inherently defensive. If you want movement options to replace shields and rolls, just say that. If you like low lag aerials, just say that. If you like to be able to move really fast, just say that. But don't slam Smash 4 for being "defensive." It just exposes your ignorance to how these sorts of games even function at any meaningful level of competition. Imagine a game where shielding was really bad and all moves were pretty laggy, but there weren't movement options either. How do you guess that game would look at high levels? The answer is: it would be really defensive and there would be a ton of time-outs. Good shields are necessary unless you've got some other way to allow players to bait.

Aggressive actions are always risky, period. What is necessary is for those aggressive actions to carry some kind of reward with them, or people will just block the entire match. There's nothing wrong with campy characters or projectiles, not even melee purists have a problem with that. What they have a problem with is like "I got a hit, not I back off because there's no point in continuing." That makes approaching ever, period, a bad idea. That's what they don't like about Brawl.

Smash 4 just doesn't have that problem. It's not even on the same level. Can you guys please have a rudimentary understanding of how fighters and especially Smash work before you start throwing around terms you don't understand? It's not personal, it just hurts the quality of discourse on these forums. Seriously.
Now's the part of the discussion where we get into dithering about definitions of words. Melee rewarded you for taking the initiative, this game doesn't. Whether you want to label taking the initiative as defensive or aggressive, it doesn't really matter. The strategies that work the best in this game are camping and turtling, with poking back and forth. You can say, as you do, that all competitive fighters are defensive, but look at high level matches in this game compared to Melee and tell me that they are exactly the same in the manner that they are defensive. You really can't do that.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Main people that have issues with defense in this game tend to be Melee purists, something I don't like.

Melee wasn't a "perfect game" objectively speaking, so why on Earth must each new Smash entry be dragged through the countryside to be compared to that game and its mechanics and/or exploits? It just shows that what made that person a "fan" of the series wasn't the series as intended, but specifically the Melee scene. Not morally wrong, but killing the hype and dividing the community out of one's frustration that Smash isn't going back to the objectively-flawed and decade+ old Melee formula is just getting old.

As for this discussion, as I said earlier, the game's defensive like any other fighter would be. Defense is more reliable than offense, but a good offense gets more mileage than defense. The best players can use the best characters that can take this basic rule and make the most out of it to win tournaments. That's how fighting games have been for a good while now. Not sure why this community is getting flipped on its head.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Now's the part of the discussion where we get into dithering about definitions of words. Melee rewarded you for taking the initiative, this game doesn't. Whether you want to label taking the initiative as defensive or aggressive, it doesn't really matter. The strategies that work the best in this game are camping and turtling, with poking back and forth. You can say, as you do, that all competitive fighters are defensive, but look at high level matches in this game compared to Melee and tell me that they are exactly the same in the manner that they are defensive. You really can't do that.
No, he can't do that. But is that a problem? Not really. Take a look at the grand finals for Street Fighter IV at Evo this year. Smash players have no idea what real turtling and defensive play looks like. It's not like there's anything wrong with it either. Some earlier Street Fighter games are considerably more aggressive, but do you see the Street Fighter community as a whole getting angry whenever it's not exactly like the past games? No, they just take it for what it is: a different experience. Smash 4 is conducive to more traditional fighting game rationality. What works as general strategies in Street Fighter and Blazblue tends to work in Smash 4: playing reactively and waiting for, and baiting out, an opening. For some reason, a lot of people here have a problem with this gamestyle and I don't really get it. It's not even overly defensive.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
No, he can't do that. But is that a problem? Not really. Take a look at the grand finals for Street Fighter IV at Evo this year. Smash players have no idea what real turtling and defensive play looks like. It's not like there's anything wrong with it either. Some earlier Street Fighter games are considerably more aggressive, but do you see the Street Fighter community as a whole getting angry whenever it's not exactly like the past games? No, they just take it for what it is: a different experience. Smash 4 is conducive to more traditional fighting game rationality. What works as general strategies in Street Fighter and Blazblue tends to work in Smash 4: playing reactively and waiting for, and baiting out, an opening. For some reason, a lot of people here have a problem with this gamestyle and I don't really get it. It's not even overly defensive.
It's just not exciting to play at a high level, is the problem. You have mechanics like wavedashing and L-cancelling that you can define as defensive techniques, but they move the game forward and reward you for approaching. It's really not going to give anyone who doesn't care for this style of poke and run gameplay any comfort to know, well now it's like other fighting games! If people wanted to play other fighting games, they would. They expect something different in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They aren't really different in concept, how they are performed is but a lot of that has to do with how Melee favors constant movement over using a Shield.

You still need to take an initiative when you shield, it still has trade offs. Shield health gets chunked faster in smash 4 than other smash games and projectile don't do as much damage as before but seem to hit shields harder.

I think this has to do with the reduction of damage calculation in Melee and Brawl to shields where around 30% of your damage is reduced % wise on shields.

Shieldstun is a concern, but even with that moves are still safe on block with faster ground movement.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It's just not exciting to play at a high level, is the problem. You have mechanics like wavedashing and L-cancelling that you can define as defensive techniques, but they move the game forward and reward you for approaching. It's really not going to give anyone who doesn't care for this style of poke and run gameplay any comfort to know, well now it's like other fighting games! If people wanted to play other fighting games, they would. They expect something different in Smash Bros.
Well that last point you said is a fair one for sure. But I disagree that watching high level defensive play is not exciting. I go to events like Evo pretty regularly, and I can tell you for sure that people were just as if not more hyped during the SFIV finals as they were during the Melee ones. Plenty of people enjoy both types. Conceptually very similar things are happenings: players are making choices and changing decisions as they watch what their opponent does, and push punishes to their absolute maximum. The excitement factor partly depends on the audiences level of understanding of what's going on. A lot of the FGC doesn't really "'get" Melee so they can't really get into it (and a lot of Melee fans don't "get" things like SF or other fighting games). I think Smash 4 is a chance to get other people in the community involved because it's visually more similar when you're watching.

As Red Ryu said, it's just the performance that's different, the concept is the same. More movement vs less movement etc. I don't think it's fair to say that the mechanics of Smash 4 don't move the game forward though: they do.

JediLink

Smash Ace
This is... really not anywhere close to true. In the classic example, Chess, there is a clear and established advantage to going first. I think that just blew apart your entire opening sentence, but anyway.

Moving over to fighters, I can't understand how you could ever look at MvC2 Magneto or Melee Fox and think "Yep, this character is definitely always going to be waiting for the other guy to make the first move". No, these characters' whole gameplan is to go in, shut down your options, and always stay one step ahead. In MvC2 especially, they're not waiting for your first move because they don't even want to give you the chance to make a first move. There is great reward to being the one in control the match, if that the balance of the game allows it. (Which of course ideally it always should. There's no way you can construct "reward for control of the match" into something negative or undesirable.)

Of course defense does still exist. When Fox dash dances, that is, generally, a defensive move. You use your defense when the other player is asserting their offense. It's essential to be able to recognize the difference between offense and defense because you need to be able to balance them with each other. This is something that games like Melee and MvC3 achieve with great success. One player will be doing mixups and safe pressure strings or controlling space, while the other has options to deal with it. It's exciting because there's constant action and interaction between players.

There's a clear difference between that and, say, watching two players stand still and do nothing, which is what would happen if the game clearly and heavily favoured defense. If there were ever, say, a rock-paper-scissors fighting game, making the first move would guarantee losing because the other player will always be able to immediately react and counter. That game would be the ultimate failure of competitive game design. And yet you're trying to say that all games are already like that, because you're always better for letting the other player make the first move. There's something that doesn't follow here.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
This is... really not anywhere close to true. In the classic example, Chess, there is a clear and established advantage to going first. I think that just blew apart your entire opening sentence, but anyway.

Moving over to fighters, I can't understand how you could ever look at MvC2 Magneto or Melee Fox and think "Yep, this character is definitely always going to be waiting for the other guy to make the first move". No, these characters' whole gameplan is to go in, shut down your options, and always stay one step ahead. In MvC2 especially, they're not waiting for your first move because they don't even want to give you the chance to make a first move. There is great reward to being the one in control the match, if that the balance of the game allows it. (Which of course ideally it always should. There's no way you can construct "reward for control of the match" into something negative or undesirable.)

Of course defense does still exist. When Fox dash dances, that is, generally, a defensive move. You use your defense when the other player is asserting their offense. It's essential to be able to recognize the difference between offense and defense because you need to be able to balance them with each other. This is something that games like Melee and MvC3 achieve with great success. One player will be doing mixups and safe pressure strings or controlling space, while the other has options to deal with it. It's exciting because there's constant action and interaction between players.

There's a clear difference between that and, say, watching two players stand still and do nothing, which is what would happen if the game clearly and heavily favoured defense. If there were ever, say, a rock-paper-scissors fighting game, making the first move would guarantee losing because the other player will always be able to immediately react and counter. That game would be the ultimate failure of competitive game design. And yet you're trying to say that all games are already like that, because you're always better for letting the other player make the first move. There's something that doesn't follow here.
Chess is completely different from a fighting game. I thought it was pretty obvious from his post that he was talking about fighting games in particular. He has a point. In the design of a fighting game there is very, very rarely a situation in which an opponents action cannot be countered by some other action. Attack can be blocked, you can hit someone out of a grab animation, etc. Given that, if you were a robot, the best action would always be to wait for your opponent to make a decision, because there is always a correct reaction to any action taken by an opponent. On the other side, whenever you take an action you are committed to it, and therefore cannot act until after your attack or whatever has finished, putting you at the whims of the other players reaction.

Now in reality this isn't always the case because human minds are subject to manipulation and baiting strategies and a whole variety of other reasons that basically amount to "we're not frame perfect".

Somethign else you said which was interesting was "you can't construe control of the match as something negative". That's true. How one gains control of a match differs though. You can have control of a match by playing defensively, like characters like Sagat in Street Fighter or Robin in this game do.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Please don't reference Chess as a counterpoint. It's turn based over both players having an equal chance to move. If White plays perfectly they will win by 1 move where as black os 1 move short of pulling of a checkmate themselves.

This doesn't happen because Chess is complex and no person has perfected it to this level.

Checker by comparison with perfect play, always ends in a draw despite someone having the first.

But again you are comparing turn based gameplay to real time. This is why this comparison. Doesn't work for who makes the first move because player is not allowed to do anything at that moment.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
You talking Louffy vs Bounban or whatever his name is?
One dude firing projectiles for 12s and the other reflecting until someone gets antsy/meter.
Looked like I was watching a boxing match, it's fine. However for sbb4 a lot of current play is centered on getting someone out of their dodge roll which is where most talk of SSB4 feeling too defensive comes from. If someone shields you can counter this with grab, if they spot dodge, lingering hitbox's among other thing. Air-dodge has lag attached to it now. So what ends up iffy? dodge rolling. Some of these characters have what 5 frame windows to hit them?

It would help if NA got off dial-up which we must be using since the japanese are giving better connections...when they're on the otherside of the sea.

There is supposed to be a proper defensive action, however thats why we have grabs.
Shield > atttack
Grabs > Shield
Spot-dodge/attack > Grab.
All working fine but current dodge rolling seems to be inconsistent with its level of frames being rather low. The offensive opposition doesn't seem to be consistent enough so while latency is one thing...rolling is legitimately just rather effective.

Offense works because their isn't a defensive option universally potent enough to stop all forms of attack and people make mistakes in how they defend. I dont see why rolling is at the potency it currently has.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Well that last point you said is a fair one for sure. But I disagree that watching high level defensive play is not exciting. I go to events like Evo pretty regularly, and I can tell you for sure that people were just as if not more hyped during the SFIV finals as they were during the Melee ones. Plenty of people enjoy both types. Conceptually very similar things are happenings: players are making choices and changing decisions as they watch what their opponent does, and push punishes to their absolute maximum. The excitement factor partly depends on the audiences level of understanding of what's going on. A lot of the FGC doesn't really "'get" Melee so they can't really get into it (and a lot of Melee fans don't "get" things like SF or other fighting games). I think Smash 4 is a chance to get other people in the community involved because it's visually more similar when you're watching.

As Red Ryu said, it's just the performance that's different, the concept is the same. More movement vs less movement etc. I don't think it's fair to say that the mechanics of Smash 4 don't move the game forward though: they do.
It's really not the same even in concept. Watch a high level game of Melee and then one of Brawl. You'll notice a lot more grab ass in Brawl. What people mean by defensive gameplay is one that is plagued by constant airdodging out of attacks, rolls, poking and running... it's a matter of taste but in my view that's not exciting at all, and it's not rewarding to play. It tests your patience, sure, but I don't think a player should be punished for just not being able to tolerate the constant turtling. The feeling you get when you play Brawl, and this game, is that you have to just sit and wait for a momentary lapse and then prod in and quickly leave, because if you follow up you're going to get creamed... it's dull. Call it defensive play or not, what people mean by defensive is that the options for protecting yourself far outweigh the options for attacking. And that's the way this game is looking so far. It's just dull. That's why you see Melee at Evo after a decade and Brawl is in the mortuary. This game is taking more after Brawl than Melee. The one area that it doesn't, the ledge game, it is universally accepted as something that improves the gameplay, and what do you know, it also is generally acknowledge to make the game more competitive-friendly. Maybe take a note Sakurai?

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
It depends on the character,but as I play greninja almost always, I do much better when I'm just reacting and punishing the other guy. Greninja seems to be the guy to do that with and doesn't say whether the whole game is defensive...I dunno due to lag on it seems everyones moves, reactive is the word more than defensive.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's really not the same even in concept. Watch a high level game of Melee and then one of Brawl. You'll notice a lot more grab *** in Brawl. What people mean by defensive gameplay is one that is plagued by constant airdodging out of attacks, rolls, poking and running... it's a matter of taste but in my view that's not exciting at all, and it's not rewarding to play. It tests your patience, sure, but I don't think a player should be punished for just not being able to tolerate the constant turtling. The feeling you get when you play Brawl, and this game, is that you have to just sit and wait for a momentary lapse and then prod in and quickly leave, because if you follow up you're going to get creamed... it's dull. Call it defensive play or not, what people mean by defensive is that the options for protecting yourself far outweigh the options for attacking. And that's the way this game is looking so far. It's just dull. That's why you see Melee at Evo after a decade and Brawl is in the mortuary. This game is taking more after Brawl than Melee. The one area that it doesn't, the ledge game, it is universally accepted as something that improves the gameplay, and what do you know, it also is generally acknowledge to make the game more competitive-friendly. Maybe take a note Sakurai?
Air dodging got nerfed from Brawl a lot. Rolling is far scarier on Smash 4 than an airdodge, and even then if you ever learned how to punish a roll happy Lucario in brawl you can do the same here.

Ledge play is actually very dynamic since you can't plank or regrab over and over. You for want a regrab you leave yourself open, if you try and get back up there is a window to punish.

Last edited:

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Gawain stating this game has as much offensive potential as SF from what we've seen so far and stating SF is all about defense is absurd. This is far from the case.

First of all your example of Luffy vs Bonchan in Grand Finals? That was hardly a set just about turtling. Luffy only stayed back to build meter. Then he'd go in and he'd go in hard. Watch the set again carefully. He was very aggressive and won most of the rounds he did in the mid range.

The issue people have with Smash 4 is the risk/reward for going in is often just not in your favour. This is for two major reasons:

1. Lack of possible combo potential at mid-high percents. Why go in if you could get punished hard and the only reward is a stray hit or two (if you don't get the edge guard?). Whereas in SF opening someone up even with an average damage character can be a good 20 percent of their life+potential for more mixups after the knockdown/reset.

2. There is no real shield pressure and limited safe approach options in the game and shields are too good. Street Fighter has a lot of explosive, offensive characters with tons of block pressure. There are frame traps, chip damage, tick throws, command grabs, low/high/front/back mixups,etc.

I have a strong feeling as a new Smash and Falcon player who presumably mainly plays in For Glory mode you think the game rewards super aggressive play. The truth is a lot of what you might be doing (dash attacks, down Bs, side Bs, laggy aerials/Smashes on block, whiffed dash grabs etc.) is not safe at all. It's just most For Glory players are too low of a level to punish it. So you might be being mislead into thinking you have all these good offensive options when in reality, it's really just your opponents not punishing you.

Don't get me wrong. I like Street Fighter AND all Smash games. I love Brawl and will probably love Smash 4. But that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend they are highly aggressive games.

Last edited:

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Game definitely favors a defensive playstyle. Rolling is abusable, they just run around the map the entire game avoiding the fight and just spam moves. It's completely lame. It's not that I can't deal with it, it's just that playstyle is so rewarding because this game is still very slow. Levels are very large and the deathline is super far. Either smash attacks need to come out quicker and hit you much farther. You shouldn't be at over 150% and surviving from my up smash or any smash attack that I use.

I don't like where this game is headed. My only solace is that when the wii u version comes out, that the team behind project m start another project and properly rewarding players for playing offensive and actually taking risk, not constantly sitting on the edge and running around throwing items and projectiles all day.

I'm really hoping someone good discovers some very offensive character that's just always being aggressive and just indefinitely beating players who are clearly playing the game wrong. Game is so unbalanced from offensive vs defensive.
Try captain falcon if thats how you feel. He's probably going to be better in wii u, because a gamecube controller or something better than the 3ds is basically required to play C.Fal correctly (the circle pad on 3ds is too hard to properly grip for correct c fal technique). He's probably still the 2nd fastest character in the game (maybe 3rd if you're counting shulk's speed variant), and although he has no projectiles, he's got the most aggressive playstyle of any character.
The only time you're not attacking with captain falcon is when you're playing a mindgame with the opponent, usually dashdancing or the like. If you can get past the ****tyness of your 3ds controls, you'll be booting people and kneeing them all day.

Also, you might be right Zork, but I think that a captain falcon who can land most of their knees and dairs perfectly will be powerhouses. If you want to play aggressively you have to do a lot of accurate reading of your opponent, unless you want to get zoned over all day. Its difficult, but I think c fal is probably the best.

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Like I said previously, both play-styles are rewarded.

This is the most balanced smash game to date, its really just how ever you wanna play.

JediLink

Smash Ace
He has a point. In the design of a fighting game there is very, very rarely a situation in which an opponents action cannot be countered by some other action. Attack can be blocked, you can hit someone out of a grab animation, etc. Given that, if you were a robot, the best action would always be to wait for your opponent to make a decision, because there is always a correct reaction to any action taken by an opponent. On the other side, whenever you take an action you are committed to it, and therefore cannot act until after your attack or whatever has finished, putting you at the whims of the other players reaction.
If we're talking about hypothetical perfect play, there's really no such thing as "waiting" to make a decision. Both players are making decisions every single frame. If port priority didn't exist, then it would still be a draw either way regardless of if you're attacking or defending, so there's no inherent bias to either side. Considering port priority, Port 1 would eventually win but exactly how the match would play out is a whole other discussion.

If we're talking perfect vs non-perfect, then again, there's no such thing as waiting to make a decision. Everything you ever do is a decision. You can take advantage of vulnerability in someone's dash dancing just as much as you can take advantage of them attacking. Even if they're standing there with no input, they will eventually commit to an action not because you waited, but because you forced it.
Something else you said which was interesting was "you can't construe control of the match as something negative". That's true. How one gains control of a match differs though. You can have control of a match by playing defensively, like characters like Sagat in Street Fighter or Robin in this game do.
Well of course. You can assert control over the match either way. That's what I'm saying; there's no inherent bias to either side, it depends on how the game is balanced. Bear here in mind here I have no issue with forcing people to approach. I do play Sheik after all, lol. What gets annoying is when both player's defense is so powerful and offense is so useless that neither of them can force an approach, and no one does anything.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Re: People complaining defence is overpowered:

Spacing is key to good offence. I've been playing with a Mii Swordfighter recently (not sure exactly what the build looks like, just know that I got really lucky in the size vs. sword length ratio), and spacing is seriously powerful. Either I'm going to harass you with chakrams until you come to me, or I'm going to just walk towards you. And once I get within the very edge of my FSmash's range, I'm going to stop. And I'm going to just stand there, not attacking at all. Don't want to remind you of the exact length of my sword's reach by throwing anything that'll whiff, after all. And I'll wait for you to either screw up and attack from out of your range, run or jump towards me and into range of my tilts/Counter, throw a chakram at you if you move away, or simply wait until you're squirming a bit. And if you've not done anything rash and are still standing at the edge of my reach (likely not realizing the move extends quite that far out), I'll suddenly throw out that FSmash. And you are not going to be able to stuff that before the hitbox comes out, because while it has a fair amount of startup lag, my hurtbox doesn't move any closer to you for any appreciable length of time before the hitbox comes out if at all. If you roll towards me, well, good luck with that because I'm at the very edge of your roll distance — or possibly slightly beyond it — and can probably punish on reaction. If you shield, you better have perfect-shielded because the sweetspot at the tip of my sword has serious shield-push and takes your shield almost down to half. Sidestep dodge? Again, too much lag for most characters to get through before I'm able to react with DTilt or FTilt. And if I hit? That's a solid 17% damage you just took.

TL;DR version: Try staying at the edge of your reach when you throw techniques from neutral, especially if your range is better than your opponent's. You can pressure shields safely if you've got some distance, because while shieldstun is lacking shield-push is definitely a thing.

Besides, a surprising number of ground moves that look punishable are actually pretty safe thanks to interrupt windows. Interrupt windows you can use to, you know, stick up your shield or do a back roll, or throw out another quick move. FSmash > DTilt, for example. A lot of people seem to not know how early those interrupt frames really are on some moves, which is part of what makes rolls look so overpowered. Ever dodged a CPU's Smash Attack, and thought you could punish with your own Smash only to have them roll out of the way halfway through their "endlag" animation? That happened to me more than a few times when I first got the demo.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
It's really not the same even in concept. Watch a high level game of Melee and then one of Brawl. You'll notice a lot more grab *** in Brawl. What people mean by defensive gameplay is one that is plagued by constant airdodging out of attacks, rolls, poking and running... it's a matter of taste but in my view that's not exciting at all, and it's not rewarding to play. It tests your patience, sure, but I don't think a player should be punished for just not being able to tolerate the constant turtling. The feeling you get when you play Brawl, and this game, is that you have to just sit and wait for a momentary lapse and then prod in and quickly leave, because if you follow up you're going to get creamed... it's dull. Call it defensive play or not, what people mean by defensive is that the options for protecting yourself far outweigh the options for attacking. And that's the way this game is looking so far. It's just dull. That's why you see Melee at Evo after a decade and Brawl is in the mortuary. This game is taking more after Brawl than Melee. The one area that it doesn't, the ledge game, it is universally accepted as something that improves the gameplay, and what do you know, it also is generally acknowledge to make the game more competitive-friendly. Maybe take a note Sakurai?
its because brawl is the worst smash game of them all just because how it favors the campy/gimmicky characters way too much, the ridiculous chain grabs,metaknight, etc.. they are not gonna have smash64 there so you are left with melee. melee is still a flawed game that relied on a glitch that wasnt meant to be in the game for people to exploit. playing on a 3ds and a controller is gonna feel like 2 different experiences. this game is barely over a week old. people need to get use to a new game and new mechanics. like actually play the game for a while instead of expecting it to come natural to them.

Top Bottom