• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gah, only another week and two days til finals are done. I feel like I haven't been doing enough here...I blame this semester's workload. But hey, once this semester's over, I'll have the Wii U version.

So how's everyone here? All going well?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh hey, @ Opossum Opossum 's here. :)

Anyway, if I may, I'll share a neat story.

So I'm a boxer. It's one of a few sports I've been proficient at. Not incredible by any means, but decent. While training today (I've taken a break recently), I was joking to myself how ridiculous Little Mac looks while fighting. He's very animated, much like the opponents from his series. While I haven't learned anything from Mac's fighting, my entire attitude about him changed while sparing with a friend.

In boxing, if you have long arms/reach, or are strong and fast, you want to poke at your opponent, but also let them make the mistakes. I'm not aggressive when I fight, rather, I wait for my opponent, and then make a good read on his fails. After sparing, while resting, I realized that Little Mac as a SSB4 character isn't about pure aggression. It's about good reads, a reactive/defensive playstyle that is strange (mainly grounded), but can intensely rewarding. So I'm giving Mac a second chance.

Looking forward to getting any advice from you guys in the future. :)

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Oh hey, @ Opossum Opossum 's here. :)
In boxing, if you have long arms/reach, or are strong and fast, you want to poke at your opponent, but also let them make the mistakes. I'm not aggressive when I fight, rather, I wait for my opponent, and then make a good read on his fails. After sparing, while resting, I realized that Little Mac as a SSB4 character isn't about pure aggression. It's about good reads, a reactive/defensive playstyle that is strange (mainly grounded), but can intensely rewarding. So I'm giving Mac a second chance.
I'm so glad that more and more people are realizing this about Little Mac. When you play him in this way, you become a terrifying mind monster. This is the main reason I love Little Mac.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And it makes sense for him to be that way, too. It's basically the entire point of Punch-Out!!'s gameplay. :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like bumping into other Little Mac users online.
I don't know if it's the same with other characters, but they usually stick around for :4wiremac:v:4littlemac: dittos.

I remember one particular match where I lost the first two matches, then I won the next two matches, then it got to 1 win, 1 lose, 1 win, 1 lose, etc.
By then we were both sporting our training hoodies, making it obviously clear we were training to become better Mac players. :)

Those are the times when I wish we had a: ADD FRIEND button somewhere.

(btw, I use wireframe online)

Losho

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheLosho
3DS FC
3883-7759-0830
I always loved playing characters that didn't just go along with the rest of the roster, thinking about picking up Little Mac 100%, should I?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I like bumping into other Little Mac users online.
I don't know if it's the same with other characters, but they usually stick around for :4wiremac:v:4littlemac: dittos.

I remember one particular match where I lost the first two matches, then I won the next two matches, then it got to 1 win, 1 lose, 1 win, 1 lose, etc.
By then we were both sporting our training hoodies, making it obviously clear we were training to become better Mac players. :)

Those are the times when I wish we had a: ADD FRIEND button somewhere.

(btw, I use wireframe online)
They do have such a feature. During an online match, press X (depends on your controller) to view the player's profile. Should be a "Send Friend Request" button underneath it (alongside View Miiverse Profile, Report Player, Block, etc.).

I've actually gotten 3 friend requests like that. One of them was a pretty decent/cool Mac player.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
They do have such a feature. During an online match, press X (depends on your controller) to view the player's profile. Should be a "Send Friend Request" button underneath it (alongside View Miiverse Profile, Report Player, Block, etc.).

I've actually gotten 3 friend requests like that. One of them was a pretty decent/cool Mac player.
He could be talking about the 3DS version, which has no such feature. That's why the best we get is the "'Who WAS That?' - The Player Finder Thread!" thread.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
Look back on the footage from the April Direct. At the very beginning of Little Mac's section, it shows his idle animations. There's a noticeable difference between these and the final, though -- for some reason, all of the movement regarding Little Mac's eyes were removed! Before, he would always look straight ahead, regardless of his head turning (his eyes would shift). Now, he always stares blankly at the ground with no eye movement whatsoever. What happened here?
The better question is why this bothers me, haha!

Last edited:
NNID
MasterHavik
Hey guys. I played Mac at a gathering yesterday. I don't got the game yet. I will have it this week for 3ds. I'm really loving Mac and I'm having a blast playing. After watching some match footage of better Macs. I may use him as my second.(I main Sonic).

Monnotonne

Smash Rookie
After sparing, while resting, I realized that Little Mac as a SSB4 character isn't about pure aggression. It's about good reads, a reactive/defensive playstyle that is strange (mainly grounded), but can intensely rewarding. So I'm giving Mac a second chance.
Yeah, I totally know what you mean by that. I find it funny how at first everyone thought Little Mac was overpowered, and then Sakurai came out with statistics saying that he has by far the lowest win / lose ratio of any character.

I think Little Mac's extreme strengths and weaknesses are pretty well balanced, but my only complaint is that he's just a little too easy to gimp off stage. I know that's the tradeoff, but I wish you had slightly better options. Being able to control the direction of his counter attack (Like Greninja) would make all the difference, I think.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
So I just took 13th place in a 50 man tournament tonight. I'm so hype right now! I'll be posting the results later, but I wanted to go ahead and say this because I'm so stoked xD. My Mac is improving

Edit: The tournaments Results Thread

Last edited:

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Congrats man! I'm really proud of how fast you're improving.

You defenitely have a tournament level Little Mac right now! :D

I'll send you a PM I want to know all the details *-*

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Hi everyone. I've been doing a lot of Mac lately and I have everything down (I even zeroed to death someone) & I was wondering what edgeguarding techniques do we have?

Does DTilt work?

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering what edgeguarding techniques do we have?
Does DTilt work?
D-Tilt is good when they've used their invincible ledge grab. Pop them in the air and you might get a f-tilt or smash in. Might also be a way to start the n-air gimp. But it's not too common to have a chance for it. The more common edgeguard is Dsmash. Dsmash hits slightly below the ledge, and launches horizontally. I like to stand a jab distance away from the edge. This just leads into prediction, as from this position, a upFsmash will hit a jump, Dsmash will hit them grabbing, and roll back if they roll onto stage. From there, either jab or F-tilt if you think you can. Jab is more likely. At moderate percentages it'll knock 'em back off, and you can retry. I had a friend who walked forward and held rapid jabs on the edge when I started to get up. It covered my air getup, which is what I did.

I'm having trouble deciding a secondary to LM. Is Jigglytits too extreme a difference? Who does everyone else second? I'm thinking Pit, Jiggly, Luigi, or Ness.

EDIT: Can you Turnaround B-Reverse in midair? Doing that to Nspecial might be a way to approach from the corners of the blast zones.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499

So this is basically Little Mac's theme song for Sm4sh... I don't know about you guys, but I'll be blasting this song in my mp3 player everytime I play Little Mac from now on (I like using him for fun, but I miss having an aerial game).

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA

So this is basically Little Mac's theme song for Sm4sh... I don't know about you guys, but I'll be blasting this song in my mp3 player everytime I play Little Mac from now on (I like using him for fun, but I miss having an aerial game).
I approve. If nerves ever get to me I'll definitely give this one a try. xD

I thought yall would enjoy this. I couldn't stop laughing at it when I saw it xD
That was awesome. I've always been so worried about getting hit on this stage I never thought about abusing that threat to set up KO Punch. Beautiful and silly.

So I just took 13th place in a 50 man tournament tonight. I'm so hype right now! I'll be posting the results later, but I wanted to go ahead and say this because I'm so stoked xD. My Mac is improving

Edit: The tournaments Results Thread
Congrats man! What were you doing that helped you make it that far in the tournament? What characters did you eventually lose to and why?

I've been doing pretty well in the tournament scene. Took a few tournaments in Melbourne, Australia before I left. Coming Top 3 in a few others as well. I was one of the highest performing players and the highest ranking Little Mac player.

Since coming back to the states I've had mostly success with Little Mac.
Regarding Virginia Beach tournaments I've come 1st in my first tournament, 1st in my second, then I placed 5th in my third, and 2nd in my fourth just yesterday.
With online tournaments I took 5th in a character-excluding tournament with 178 entrants, 1st in a Coin mode tournament with 14 players Swiss-style, managed to make Top-Cut in a Hypest tournament then quickly lost, and finally came 1st in Anonymous Gamers's tournament.

In all the tournaments I've played I've gone up against a looooot of different play styles and character match ups. Melbourne, Australia definitely has more higher skilled players then here in Virginia Beach, but the competition is still tough at the top. Thankfully online tournaments help me stay in touch with more top level players.

Virginia Beach definitely has so much more character diversity. In Melbourne everyone plays Sheik, Rosalina, Zero Suit, Sonic, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Diddy. But here in Virginia I've had to learn a lot more about Wario, Mega Man, Ike, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Zelda.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
D-Tilt is good when they've used their invincible ledge grab. Pop them in the air and you might get a f-tilt or smash in. Might also be a way to start the n-air gimp. But it's not too common to have a chance for it. The more common edgeguard is Dsmash. Dsmash hits slightly below the ledge, and launches horizontally. I like to stand a jab distance away from the edge. This just leads into prediction, as from this position, a upFsmash will hit a jump, Dsmash will hit them grabbing, and roll back if they roll onto stage. From there, either jab or F-tilt if you think you can. Jab is more likely. At moderate percentages it'll knock 'em back off, and you can retry. I had a friend who walked forward and held rapid jabs on the edge when I started to get up. It covered my air getup, which is what I did.

I'm having trouble deciding a secondary to LM. Is Jigglytits too extreme a difference? Who does everyone else second? I'm thinking Pit, Jiggly, Luigi, or Ness.

EDIT: Can you Turnaround B-Reverse in midair? Doing that to Nspecial might be a way to approach from the corners of the blast zones.
I second :4robinm:, with some :4pacman: on the side. And the occasional :4olimar: for sentimental reasons. :p They're all pretty different from Mac, but their styles just kinda clicked for me.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Congrats man! What were you doing that helped you make it that far in the tournament? What characters did you eventually lose to and why?
Hmm, well one thing that helped me make it that far was definitely the support, practice matches, and critical advice given to me by fellow smashers there, especially from my mentor. I would apply the advice as soon as possible, and I wouldn't have won some of the matches without it.
As for what I was doing... I was playing very reactionary and patient. I tried to stay near the middle as much as possible, and wait out the opposing character (depending on the character obviously), and I mixed it up from there. I'm not very good at explaining how I played... Quoting a friend who was at the tournament, I "just stood there, and people started sweating!". I wish I had some video's of my matches, but I can't remember whose Wii U I was on, let alone if I even saved the match.

I lost to a Bowser main in pools, though I expected to lose to him as soon as I saw him in my pool. He's someone who has played smash for years and had a lot more experience than me. I did take two stocks off him in one match, though I suspect he was sandbagging that match >.> I don't feel the character MU was the sole reason why I lost, but more so the skill level gap between he and I.
I also lost another pools match against a R.O.B main. I had never fought a Rob as Little Mac and I had no clue what to do, so I ended up betraying my playstyle and making huge mistakes; dashing in, landing directly on top of him while falling, staying too close to the edge of the map, not power shielding enough. A couple of mentors of mine pointed these mistakes out to me after the match. I've been practicing against that same Rob since, and trying to figure out how to handle the matchup. It's definitely a difficult one, at least for myself.
In tournament bracket, I lost right off the bat to a Ness main... I hate Ness. I can't combat Ness. It's LM's hardest matchup in my opinion. I got three stocked first match and two stocked the second. I tried to adapt to the matchup, but couldn't at that time. It was such a sorry match >.<. Ness's grab>forward air>forward air combo is PAIIINFUL, and once thrown, Mac can't react in any way before he Fairs. I also remember him completely wrecking me with PK Thunder, not just off stage but on stage as well! I believe he had one of the customs for PK Thunder on, but I forget which. Off stage, it just gimped me to death, and on stage I couldn't avoid getting hit by it.
I lost my last match against a Sonic Main. He told me after the match that I did rather well against his sonic, but that he had a lot of experience going up against Little Mac's and was fairly used to the matchup. I, on the other hand, was not. I didn't know any of Sonics options, or how the character played in general. Most of the first match was me trying to figure that out. The second match was me trying to figure out what worked against his options.

I find that not knowing how other characters play is what causes me the most problems, obviously. Finding enough people to practice against who play each character is my biggest challenge. Though I grew up around the smash scene, going to tournaments with my brother and learning the basics, I'm still new to the competitive scene myself. I'm glad when I see some improvement (like not coming in last place >.> haha).

I've been doing pretty well in the tournament scene. Took a few tournaments in Melbourne, Australia before I left. Coming Top 3 in a few others as well. I was one of the highest performing players and the highest ranking Little Mac player.

Since coming back to the states I've had mostly success with Little Mac.
Regarding Virginia Beach tournaments I've come 1st in my first tournament, 1st in my second, then I placed 5th in my third, and 2nd in my fourth just yesterday.
With online tournaments I took 5th in a character-excluding tournament with 178 entrants, 1st in a Coin mode tournament with 14 players Swiss-style, managed to make Top-Cut in a Hypest tournament then quickly lost, and finally came 1st in Anonymous Gamers's tournament.

In all the tournaments I've played I've gone up against a looooot of different play styles and character match ups. Melbourne, Australia definitely has more higher skilled players then here in Virginia Beach, but the competition is still tough at the top. Thankfully online tournaments help me stay in touch with more top level players.

Virginia Beach definitely has so much more character diversity. In Melbourne everyone plays Sheik, Rosalina, Zero Suit, Sonic, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Diddy. But here in Virginia I've had to learn a lot more about Wario, Mega Man, Ike, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Zelda.
Those are awesome tournament results o.o Congrats on each of those tournaments!! Were you solely playing little mac in each one?

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Bowser is scary. He can KO us a lot faster then we can KO him and that's not even considering the fact that he has solid aerials for gimping us off stage. I've never dropped a set to a Bowser player, but I've had some close matches. I tend to get hit by really random, but infrequent, side smashes. I hate dropping a stock at 50%...

R.O.B. is painful. He recovers really well and is a bit on the heavier side so he likes to keep living. He has so many gimping tools between his projectiles and aerials so I I feel like I could lose a stock at any percent. All the ROB players I've played against will usually use the beam and then follow up with the gyroid. I feel this matchup requires a lot more good reads then usual. Like knowing when to punish projectiles with Jolt Haymaker and knowing when to punish aerials with up smash.
But yeah dashing in, like you said, is the worst thing you could do. It's like asking to be grabbed and thrown off the stage. Hopefully the practice will put you in a better mindset.

Ness. I really do believe this is an unwinnable matchup for Little Mac if the Ness is in the right hands. I've destroyed so many Ness players for free, but Melbourne's highest rank player mains both Villager and Ness. Her Ness two-stocks for free almost every single match.
I tend to win 1/20 matches against her Ness. My neutral play is basically to empty jump a lot and just slowly make my way closer. It sounds stupid, but I can't be hit be hit by PK Fire or a grab if I'm in the air. If Ness switches to playing in the air then I can beat him out with well placed up smashes or side smashes. If Ness stays rooted on the ground then I'll fall at maximum down-tilt range and poke with that. Forward-tilt is too unsafe, Ness can shield it and dash-grab Little Mac before he pulls his arms back.
This matchup is hell because of that down throw into fAir. A good Ness can chain three fAirs together and there is nothing we can do to stop it. And yeah if Ness using the 2nd PK Thunder custom you might as well just put the controller down.

I hear you on Sonic. I lost to him in my last tournament. The advice everyone keeps giving me is to slowly approach Sonic and pressure him. I keep getting scared of spin dash because he can hit our shield safely and just back off. I managed to win a couple games so I found the whole slow approach thing to work a bit. But I'm always so scared of getting grabbed that I tend to throw out unsafe attacks. I've got to work on that.

Edit: Oh um in online tournaments I'll try out DK sometimes because I'm trying to learn another character, but Little Mac is my main. I've put in a few hundred hours into the character and he's my go to even when I'm up against a bad matchup. In local tournaments I always play Little Mac. There's nothing more hype then getting a KO Punch on match point for Grand Finals. :D

Last edited:
NNID
MasterHavik
I **** a mii fighter in a MM at a con this weekend with Mac. He is okay, but he has a lot of bad habits.

sidenote:It's funny..I don't main Mac. I play Sonic. I sometimes hit the jump button my mistake.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
What happened is that LM was grabbed before the hitbox came out. As a result, the windbox pushed Jiggly and, since he was grabbed, LM. I don't know why the grab was broken though

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
^ I'd Like for Samurai to patch the K.O punch to hit confirm when I turn around -> K.O Punch, especially after a shield drop. it seems like no matter how close they are when I do that the windbox just blows them away smh

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
^ I'd Like for Samurai to patch the K.O punch to hit confirm when I turn around -> K.O Punch, especially after a shield drop. it seems like no matter how close they are when I do that the windbox just blows them away smh
The windbox won't prevent them from getting hit by the KO punch. Though due to the large step forward, I often find myself missing if we're point blank. Also, you can jump cancel the KO punch, so remember that when you're in shield.

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
The windbox won't prevent them from getting hit by the KO punch. Though due to the large step forward, I often find myself missing if we're point blank. Also, you can jump cancel the KO punch, so remember that when you're in shield.

actually on most occasions for me, I whiff and they get blown away, its like after I do something with turning around mostly if oppt. is behind me. and I buffer fast enough. maybe i should pract. my K.O punches tbh lol Dx

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
maybe i should pract. my K.O punches tbh lol Dx
wow this just made me realize how sparingly i use the KO punch (its not that I ignore it, just moreso not having the oppurtunity and therefore i dont rely on it). im gonna practice it too

Top Bottom