• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
I roll with the Super Punch-Out!! styled Mac(blonde) or 2P Mac.
Anyone wanna do some friendlies?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Does anyone have the KO bell sound?

I want it as my text alert

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really need to step up my game as Little Mac.

Right now, I suck so bad as him... Maybe this weekend I'll dedicate myself to power my playstyle up bigtime.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm still getting the hang of the champ but he is really fun to play as...not as much fun as Rosalina, that is, but I still enjoy him.

Does anyone have the KO bell sound?

I want it as my text alert
I wish. I don't know how you get it though.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It doesn't seem to be there.

But you know WHAT: it is in the reveal trailer. You can turn that into an mp3 and then chop that piece out! Let me try doing that.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
man I can hear it in my head by mention.

DING DING

PCHH

SHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
What's your input on playing against Sheik and Sonic? IMO, has to be 2 of the hardest matchups Mac has.

Highwayman300

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4527-8908-8969
What's your input on playing against Sheik and Sonic? IMO, has to be 2 of the hardest matchups Mac has.
Every time he gets near in any way (Side B, Down B, Dash attack and even grab) Side smash into his face, it has enough reach and armor to beat all of his approach.
You can also spot-dodge a predicted grab and punish with down smash. If for whatever reason he uses homing attack, punish with Up Smash.
Since most Sonics love to go past the ledge with Up B or get back with Homing attack, punish homing with Up smash and Up B with Down smash.
When going against Sonic, it is all about timing your attacks correctly, and punishing.

Concerning Sheik, all I can say is to avoid her chain-grab at all cost, as it can kill Little Mac from the middle of the stage if not DI'd properly.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
True that they are probably 2 of his hardest match-ups, but keep in mind these are like potentially top 2 characters in the game. With that said, I think mac is one of their hardest match-ups. IMO both are evenish... Slight advantage for sheik but imo we have a slight advantage over sonic.

IReidYou

Smash Rookie
Anyone know the frame data on his jab and ftilt/dtilt? I swear jab is at most 2 frame startup and tilts are pretty quick too

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So, lately I've found what is the most fun way for me to play Little Mac online.

Nothing groundbreaking, but this is how I roll.

I start out as Minor Circuit (Default).
If I beat 4 encounters on 1-vs-1, I will change color to Major Circuit.
Again, if I beat 4 more, I choose the World Circuit
If by any chance I manage to win 4 more, THEN I can sport the World Champ colors.

This way, it feels like a Punch Out! game the most for me. :D

-
When having 1-on-1 with friends, I use 2P Mac
When I'm doing stuff such as Smash Run/Multiman, I dig the Jumpsuit

And ever so randomly, when I'm feeling really oldschool I go Wireframe. (I also use this version for various 1P modes).

The only colors I never use are White, and Green Jumpsuit.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Well, I've posted in every other character social thread from someone I main so...
Sup. :laugh:
Seriously though, since this about Little Mac... Anyone hoping for some type of new Punch-Out game soon?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, I've posted in every other character social thread from someone I main so...
Sup. :laugh:
Seriously though, since this about Little Mac... Anyone hoping for some type of new Punch-Out game soon?
ME!
I want a new one BADLY.
I don't care if they must use videogame logic to get his WIN / LOSE ratio back to zero for story purposes, but I NEED a new one!
Punch Out is arguably my favorite Nintendo series nowdays.

My ideal game would be a little more story centric. Like.. I don't mind if they reboot it again but make it more story focused.

Make both one for Wii U and one for 3DS.
The 3DS has been BEGGING for one due to the dual screens (and the 3D for those who like it).

But I'm sure Nintendo is at that mindset where they're thinking that if they can't revolutionize the genre with the next game, then theres no point in making it. :p
There's so much they could still bring into the Punch Out universe it's not even funny. Martial arts? Legendary warriors? Heck, even other Nintendo characters wouldn't be so bad.

And a Doc Louis story mode too. :D Playing as him when he was back in his prime.

LucasBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucasBlitz
3DS FC
4141-3310-4813
New to the forums here and I'm really liking Little Mac, my only issue with him is that I get destroyed by match ups such as Lucina, Samus, Ness or basically anyone with projectiles.
Lots of people say this guy is OP but I'd have to disagree, watching replays of this guy and he has issues than just is air game. The only OP thing besides the whole super armor thing is his dash attack. It's a bit ridiculous and if it gets slightly nerfed it'll change his moveset completely than just mindlessly rushing. Saying this since I matched up with a mirror Mac that just dash attacked me twice and that was it.
Anyway just inputting my 2 cents and wondering if anyone is up for some friendlies or some advice as to how to improve as a Little Mac player? :)

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
http://smashboards.com/threads/for-glory-2-houston-tx-11-8-2014.377010/

Took 3rd in singles, and 1st in doubles with a Luigi player. Lost to Sync (Greninja) 3-0 in WF smh. This mu is tough af. Any tips on how to play against him? Also lost to Fliphop (Diddy) in LF 3-2. SD'd the last stock, but I was in a rush and had to leave asap so I didn't care much about the outcome. Flip amazing though fyi. I had won in winners bracket 2-1 against him earlier.

Small, but mad fun tournament.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'll be leaving my FC here just in case anyone wants to go a few rounds.
5301-0890-0238

Other than :4littlemac: I could prove to be a good sparring partner as:
:4megaman::4sonic::4samus::4rob::4zss::4charizard::4pikachu::4ness::4jigglypuff::4falcon::4peach:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Oh Little Mac...

I'm really having a love/hate with him right now. I'm doing some great things and really getting smarter playing as him. But I feel like I'm walking on pins and needles. Against a decent player I have to play extremely cautious. One mistake and there's a good chance that's a stock or even a game. I don't really like having to play almost perfectly in order to win. I'll be playing great for a whole game then I lose almost instantly to a mistake I made. It's frustrating lol. On the bright side tho, once you are able to play him at a near perfect level, you'll have a much better understanding of the game and can probably play with most other characters at a decent level.

Also, Little Mac dittos are hell! It's all about that first hit. Mac edgeguards Mac soooo well.

Oilpath99

Smash Cadet
Oh Little Mac...

I'm really having a love/hate with him right now. I'm doing some great things and really getting smarter playing as him. But I feel like I'm walking on pins and needles. Against a decent player I have to play extremely cautious. One mistake and there's a good chance that's a stock or even a game. I don't really like having to play almost perfectly in order to win. I'll be playing great for a whole game then I lose almost instantly to a mistake I made. It's frustrating lol. On the bright side tho, once you are able to play him at a near perfect level, you'll have a much better understanding of the game and can probably play with most other characters at a decent level.

Also, Little Mac dittos are hell! It's all about that first hit. Mac edgeguards Mac soooo well.
Ugh, Mac Dittos, whoever gets the first down tilt in wins.

ChampKing

Smash Cadet
Oh Little Mac...

I find it odd that some Macs say this because of how safe he feels to use at least for me. Spaced F-Tilts are godly and how even against a player better than me, I don't feel threatened and can still win because KO Punch. Honestly he doesn't seem risky at all as long as you don't recklessly charge in and use super armor. Seriously nobody uses it. You can punish most attacks that use limbs with it easily. If you get customs involved than his higher vertical recovery special is definitely more useful than I thought. Makes recovery a good deal easier if you sweetspot the ledge.
As for Mac dittos, I've only lost one against a player better than me so meh

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I hardly ever feel "safe". Spaced Ftilts are great but not perfect. A well-timed roll in between Ftilts can lead to a grab on Mac. Also faster characters and characters with a tether can grab after a shielded Ftilt. Gotta know when it's okay to pressure with Ftilt.

K.O. Punch is a huge commitment. People nowadays know not to shield/counter Little Mac when he has the K.O. Punch because it still hits. It's only guaranteed with a slightly laggy move on your shield or a Dtilt set up. Other than that it has to be a hard read. If you whiff there's a ton of lag begging to be punished.

Super armor is the best part. He can smash through attacks and win most trades. At the same time, you can't just throw out smash attacks hoping to catch your opponent throwing an attack at the same time. There are only a handful of attacks that be smashed through on reaction. Everything else is a punish smash like you would do with any other character or a read.

When I get around 60%, I start to get nervous because I know that's when hits and throws will be strong enough to put me off stage or very close to it.

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
So hello Mac boards... I'm not a Mac main I was working him up as a sub main cause he's fun as heck, but I am honestly thinking about dropping him. It's frustrating and annoying... the FG community is souring my interest in the guy.

Every time I hop on and do fairly well with someone who I believe to be somewhat decent... the salt starts pouring just cause I picked him and they ditto match me. I honestly couldn't care less because LM vs LM is just another MU to learn and I do pretty well for myself (I run about a 70-30 win loss with him [off the top of my head]), but the person I'm playing just becomes an idiot when they're facing me right from the start. The roll spam starts (which they didn't do at all in the previous matches), non-tactical spam starts up... like rolling to the other side of the field and just spamming arrows with TL one after another without moving, nonsensical taunting when I get sent off, but can clearly make it back, and more recently like 10 people in a row (or close enough) just stood there not doing anything when I have him (they're not afk though... they roll to the other side of the stage when I approach)

It's boring and I hate that playing as LM is an instant ticket to have crap matches. Even after I switch they still have this passive approach to playing, and I just end up quitting mid match because it's just not fun anymore. I don't do typical nub mac things like spamming smashes, dash attacks, counters and rolls. I actually space and play pretty conservatively... I even get rid of my KO punch to stave off a lot of butthurt (I know it's not broken... but people like to pretend that it is). I know it's a little dumb to let the FG community dictate who I can and can't play, but I don't understand how people can deal with that and still enjoy the game.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
A lot of people on For Glory and even here on Smashboards are pretty immature when it comes to Little Mac. 50% percent of the people I play on For Glory leave after one match, SD immediately, or SD after I kill with a KO Punch or super armor. The other 50% keep playing win or lose.

It gets pretty annoying when people constantly bash your character. I hear tons of "he's broken", "he's OP", "terrible character design", "no fun to play against". But it's not like Mac is destroying in tournaments. I think I've heard of him only winning one. Most he's not present in top 8. It's bad. To the point where I don't even use him against my friends because they complain every time.

It's unfortunate really

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't give people the joy to DC on me. I DC after the first match always.

It's just a way for me of not getting frustrated. If I win the first time, and I start losing to the same player later, it can be pretty salty.
Last night I didn't DC after the first match, and I'm embarrassed to say I felt I lost control of my temper. -_-
(This doesn't happen to me if I lose the first time against a new opponent, which is why I keep rotating).

Also, I don't want to feel like a bully when another player is losing to me every single match.
The only times I usually play rematches are:
-If my opponent SDs miserably and I decide to give him another chance.
-If me and my opponent are both Little Mac.

I actually don't mind Little Mac dittos, I think like I could learn from that match. And I've always sucked at mirror matches, so I might as well get used to fighting a really popular character. :)

I hope people don't think less of me for this. But on WITH FRIEND matches, I enjoy playing a lot more, even if I'm losing every single game (like it happens quite often with a Bowser main friend).

Last edited:

LucasBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucasBlitz
3DS FC
4141-3310-4813
Anyone got ideas on how t take down :4ness:? I feel that's my hardest matchup cause of the PKFire + grab spam

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Anyone got ideas on how t take down :4ness:? I feel that's my hardest matchup cause of the PKFire + grab spam
I haven't had problems against him so far. But I usually bait those PK fires out via roll-dodging quickly in and out. Sometimes dodging back, sprinting forward + Side B does the trick. Or simply getting used to run + shield? I used to do this a lot as Sonic, and it works for Mac as well.

So, again options:
-Bait and punish by roll-dodge followed by Dash attack / Dash usmash.
-The second you hear "PK" try to go for a Jolt Haymaker
-Run + shield
-If you want to mix it up and you're within PK fire range, maybe throw in a well calculated Slip Counter here and there.

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard you can Ftilt PKfire. Not sure if that does any good because I'm sure you'll activate its pillar form.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Originally I planned to main Mac before the game came out - and I did. But then I drifted away from playing him, I'm not sure why, but maybe because I was focusing on other mains. I haven't played him for several weeks now, and I was alright with him when I was properly maining him.

Now I want to come back, to Mac. Has anything about him changed in the past few weeks (other than N-air edgeguard)? Any advice about him that I wouldn't already know?

Oilpath99

Smash Cadet
Well, nice knowing you 3DS Smash.

I'll be KO punching fools in 1080p 60 fps in 8 player Smash now.

M@v

Subarashii!
I landed quite a few KO punches today, a couple of them in tournament (Yes, we already ran a wii u tourney here), and also had myself a 2 for 1 KO punch on the teams ladder <3

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I landed quite a few KO punches today, a couple of them in tournament (Yes, we already ran a wii u tourney here), and also had myself a 2 for 1 KO punch on the teams ladder <3
Nice going, it can be difficult to land because it scares them from coming near you.

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
yoyoyo anybody looking for a boxing sparing partner? best way to improve your game is to see other boxer's styles right? im anhJer , any takers?

Gah777

Smash Lord
Nintendo pls make Little Mac more sacky.

Nerfs:
-All aerial B moves put LM into special fall
-Aerial Up B and Side B have their range reduced by 1/2
-K.O. punch takes longer to charge
-All jumps (short hop, full hop, double jump) height reduced by 1/2
-All aerial A moves reduced to 1%, all hit stun from aerials removed
-Grab range reduced
-End lag on aerials increased

Buffs:
-All grounded moves have super armor on start up lasting 5 frames after the first hit box of the move has come out
-All grounded moves damage increased by ~3%
-All smash attacks increased knock back

Basically what I want is for Little Mac to be deterred from ever entering the air and to be punished for leaving the stage even more so than right now. But in return Mac will be even more of a grounded, on-stage menace.

Top Bottom