• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

jet56

Smash Journeyman
maybe i don't like customs cause macs are all useless? idk, but tournament mode just isnt worth it because of the way they set it up. its NOTHING to the way most people play at offline tourneys.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
maybe i don't like customs cause macs are all useless? idk, but tournament mode just isnt worth it because of the way they set it up. its NOTHING to the way most people play at offline tourneys.
Eh, I have no plans to start a tournament myself or compete in one anyways.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
i'm not necessarily saying that it should happen, but now that everyone has easy access to posting their replays online, we could have a real 'library' of mac players to watch.

i suggest that it be a separate thread than the video critique thread, and the OP would be a list of player's names in alphabetical order, the region, and youtube channel/twitch links. that way, we could follow up on any mac player that we like watching. for example, i'd love to see more than just the few streamed tourney matches from solreth, venks, alphicans, sirchad etc.. with this thread set-up it'd be easy to locate the players and their streams, and maybe even discover some new mac prodigies. what do you guys think?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
i'm not necessarily saying that it should happen, but now that everyone has easy access to posting their replays online, we could have a real 'library' of mac players to watch.

i suggest that it be a separate thread than the video critique thread, and the OP would be a list of player's names in alphabetical order, the region, and youtube channel/twitch links. that way, we could follow up on any mac player that we like watching. for example, i'd love to see more than just the few streamed tourney matches from solreth, venks, alphicans, sirchad etc.. with this thread set-up it'd be easy to locate the players and their streams, and maybe even discover some new mac prodigies. what do you guys think?
Sounds like a plan.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm starting to believe that Mac is a perfect counterpick against :4ness:. The fact that his side-B can get out of a PK fire and can be used to avoid it.

Plus Off-Stage counter against a PKT2 is great.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm starting to believe that Mac is a perfect counterpick against :4ness:. The fact that his side-B can get out of a PK fire and can be used to avoid it.

Plus Off-Stage counter against a PKT2 is great.
I haven't had too much trouble against him myself. Maybe it's because I used to main Ness during 64/Melee days (and I'm no stranger to how he works in Brawl and WiiU/3DS), but PK Fires don't worry me, especially when Ness' % is around and over 20, which is when Jolt Haymaker can't be punished after a PK Fire.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I haven't had too much trouble against him myself. Maybe it's because I used to main Ness during 64/Melee days (and I'm no stranger to how he works in Brawl and WiiU/3DS), but PK Fires don't worry me, especially when Ness' % is around and over 20, which is when Jolt Haymaker can't be punished after a PK Fire.
Most of Ness' game relys on throws and setups on them. Plus if you seen my video of my KO Punch going through PKT2, it makes it more hilarious.

Although I have much more trouble against as :4lucas: due to how his PK Fire does knockback, tether grab. PKT2 can recovery from Kingdom Come, smash attacks are more dangerous than Ness and his down-B has a hitbox so it can be dangerous

StraightBeastin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3497-1748-0958
Little Mac is one of my best mains in Smash 4 in my book. Sure there are characters tougher than him, but he's doesn't let big fearsome characters phase him, he's one of the most fearless fighter in the entire game. On foot, he's a boxer for real, aerials on the other hand will always be his weak side, but that's what makes him so great!

I'm proud that he's no longer just a Trophy Assist Character, he's a real fighter that can hang with the best of them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Most of Ness' game relys on throws and setups on them. Plus if you seen my video of my KO Punch going through PKT2, it makes it more hilarious.

Although I have much more trouble against as :4lucas: due to how his PK Fire does knockback, tether grab. PKT2 can recovery from Kingdom Come, smash attacks are more dangerous than Ness and his down-B has a hitbox so it can be dangerous
Ah, didn't know :4lucas:could mean so much trouble. I always looked at him as a watered down :4ness: in this game.
I do think he has a harder time approaching :4littlemac: though. But that's just the few impressions I've gotten from the very few people I've fought using him.
I do feel :4lucas:is a slightly better at edgeguarding though (and only slightly because :4ness: is already really good).

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac is one of my best mains in Smash 4 in my book. Sure there are characters tougher than him, but he's doesn't let big fearsome characters phase him, he's one of the most fearless fighter in the entire game. On foot, he's a boxer for real, aerials on the other hand will always be his weak side, but that's what makes him so great!

I'm proud that he's no longer just a Trophy Assist Character, he's a real fighter that can hang with the best of them.
That's the spirit!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

That's the heart of a champ right there.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

This man right here is a winner.
mack_2_large.GIF

Crown him champ and leave

Pyrofishy

Smash Cadet
What's a good way to play Little Mac? I'm coming off Palutena and Ganon, and Little Mac is a bit different from my usual stuff. Not sure how I should handle him.

Sorry if this has already been talked about, 21 pages is just a bit to look through.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
What's a good way to play Little Mac? I'm coming off Palutena and Ganon, and Little Mac is a bit different from my usual stuff. Not sure how I should handle him.

Sorry if this has already been talked about, 21 pages is just a bit to look through.
Best way to play him is to be smart about your spacing.
You have moveset that designs around being a rushdown monster but his recovery and air game doesn't allow that. So you should play defensively, punish accordingly, force your opponent to approach you first. Don't make the mistake of recovery stupidly. All of your moves (including Straight Lunge) are useful sans from throws but use those to your advantage and if you have a KO punch, don't try to force yourself to use it, use it as a scare tactic. People will try to force the punch out (heh) of you. So use that to punish and make them pay.

tl;dr
Play him like you play Punch Out.

Pyrofishy

Smash Cadet
Best way to play him is to be smart about your spacing.
You have moveset that designs around being a rushdown monster but his recovery and air game doesn't allow that. So you should play defensively, punish accordingly, force your opponent to approach you first. Don't make the mistake of recovery stupidly. All of your moves (including Straight Lunge) are useful sans from throws but use those to your advantage and if you have a KO punch, don't try to force yourself to use it, use it as a scare tactic. People will try to force the punch out (heh) of you. So use that to punish and make them pay.

tl;dr
Play him like you play Punch Out.
I didn't expect them to keep him that close to his game, huh.
Cool, thanks.

CaliburShout

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone here get extremely pissed off whenever an opponent decides not to fight you, and instead goes off and camps at the ledge? And no matter how many times you pummel them, or grab release them, they just don't learn, and they continue to ledge camp. Like c'mon! Are you afraid of a good Little Mac kicking your ass?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Does anyone here get extremely pissed off whenever an opponent decides not to fight you, and instead goes off and camps at the ledge? And no matter how many times you pummel them, or grab release them, they just don't learn, and they continue to ledge camp. Like c'mon! Are you afraid of a good Little Mac kicking your ***?
Grabbing and back throws works and if they run then chase with Side B or Down Smash to counter roll spamming

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Does anyone here get extremely pissed off whenever an opponent decides not to fight you, and instead goes off and camps at the ledge? And no matter how many times you pummel them, or grab release them, they just don't learn, and they continue to ledge camp. Like c'mon! Are you afraid of a good Little Mac kicking your ***?
I wouldn't say I get pissed when my opponents decides to camp on the ledge but it does tend to get downright annoying, but I learned from it and showed them wassup.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
If your KO meter is full, you could surprise them by rolling behind them and giving them a good ol' KO punch.

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
Lately, I been like a bull seeing red whenever I have match ups against Ness or Lucas. Oh man, I just love slaying them over and over, espically Lucas, since it is quite easy to read his snake grab and side step it for the punish. Or creep and move past his pk fire or thunder bla bla then let him have it. Not sure why, but on For Glory they always seem to get salty that my Mac owned them. Those spammers, get rekt lool

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Lately, I been like a bull seeing red whenever I have match ups against Ness or Lucas. Oh man, I just love slaying them over and over, espically Lucas, since it is quite easy to read his snake grab and side step it for the punish. Or creep and move past his pk fire or thunder bla bla then let him have it. Not sure why, but on For Glory they always seem to get salty that my Mac owned them. Those spammers, get rekt lool
Ness is more satifying becuase atleast Lucas players try.

Ness braindead stuff makes it hilarious that you can super armor out of anything and then there's countering PK Thunder 2

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
Ness is more satifying becuase atleast Lucas players try.

Ness braindead stuff makes it hilarious that you can super armor out of anything and then there's countering PK Thunder 2
Makes me feel like hopping on For Glory and hoping to get a Ness or Lucas right now. I always advertise on my message thing that I use Mac, my rationale is. They will try to pick his counter, and they often do. But it makes good practice. Except for Sheik, a good Sheik player is a nightmare.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Hey yall, how's it going for everyone?
Things have been hectic for me still. Feels like it's never gonna clear up, but it should soon.
Been going to tournaments, and my little mac has improved a lot recently. I'm hoping to stream and record some matches soon.

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
I've been training with Little Mac from the very beginning of Smash bros 4 now, and even though I've had my ups and downs with him, now I really know how to use his armor and his smashes well.
Also on an off topic note, I found something very cool looking while doing a random special smash team battle using :4wiremac:!

Sadly I can't get them in better quality... and I was hoping someone could maybe get a standalone picture in HD of all three of them for icons and stuff.

Samtrecht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samtrecht
3DS FC
1908-0121-2497
Hello everyone! I'm rather new to smash bros and I've taken a lot of interest for Lil' Mac but I can't use him properly. Can someone more experienced help me with this young pugilist? If some one can help me or guide me thanks in advance.
PD: English It's not my mother language, sorry for any typos.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The influence of games... These look familiar?

It's Little Mac's Dtilt. It's not that surprising since there's only so much you can do to be original with fighting moves, but it's kind of cool seeing that. Little Mac, Vanessa, Balrog, TJ Combo - he's more MMA now in the recent Killer Instinct -, and Steve Fox are the only characters I can think of who are boxers. I think Balrog was the first boxer, so it makes sense for him to influence Little Mac and well, there's really not much you can do for a Dtilt using hand techniques. It would have been easier for Little Mac to just punch while crouching, but that kind of would defeat the purpose of hitting low as in ground low. A rising uppercut could have worked if they made it so Little Mac did an uppercut low enough to catch the ground before hitting up.

There's also the Turn Punch which looks like Little Mac's Side Smash.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The influence of games... These look familiar?

It's Little Mac's Dtilt. It's not that surprising since there's only so much you can do to be original with fighting moves, but it's kind of cool seeing that. Little Mac, Vanessa, Balrog, TJ Combo - he's more MMA now in the recent Killer Instinct -, and Steve Fox are the only characters I can think of who are boxers. I think Balrog was the first boxer, so it makes sense for him to influence Little Mac and well, there's really not much you can do for a Dtilt using hand techniques. It would have been easier for Little Mac to just punch while crouching, but that kind of would defeat the purpose of hitting low as in ground low. A rising uppercut could have worked if they made it so Little Mac did an uppercut low enough to catch the ground before hitting up.

There's also the Turn Punch which looks like Little Mac's Side Smash.
There's also this

That's part of Mac's idle animation

And his pummel animation

There's also so more with his down smash, up-B and last, his neutral B is Balrog's Dash Straight

And people say it's hard to make a moveset for Little Mac

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I wonder if Vanessa or some other character who had an overcut to uppercut move had anything to do with Little Mac's jab 2 and jab 3.

Hers is a little bit more wild, but it's still an overcut to an uppercut. When I think of a simple boxing combo, it's jab, straight, to hook or uppercut like Ryu's standard combo. Jab, overcut, to undercut works, but I don't think it's a common and overcuts kind of assume you can hit something like a person's back instead of their skull. For the purposes of Smash, it works since having a linear set of moves might not work or something narrow like Samus's Up Smash on a tall character. Little Mac's not exactly tall. It's probably just a stylistic thing like how Little Mac could have had uppercuts for his Utilt and Up Smash, but they made them half moon hits to be less boring. And it helps since Little Mac can cover behind him.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac in my opinion is a very underrated character in smash 4. Alot of people underestimate him because of how easily gimped he can be but he has awesome frame data has armor on everyone of his smashes and has great kill power as well as the 3rd fastest running speed in the game. Alot of people do bash him because in return his recovery and air game are abysmal but you get a character with the best ground game in return which I think pays of in it's own way at least in my opinion.

I wonder if nairo will pick up little mac

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Even after spending nearly 2 weeks at the hospital from a severe abdominal pain that required surgery, this thread remains just as quiet as a ghost town. Oh well...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Even after spending nearly 2 weeks at the hospital from a severe abdominal pain that required surgery, this thread remains just as quiet as a ghost town. Oh well...
Hope you're feeling better. Sorry about what happened.

And it's gonna be a ghost town here always

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'll be okay soon. I'm still recovering from that surgery so I'll need to take it real easy in the meantime.
As long as you're not doing anything crazy, it's fine.

Just stay strong and well rested

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
i mian kirby and Little mac which is Ironic because Kirby is the Perfect Match up for Little mac
anyway
i did learn one air combo,
Grab, dthrow- make sure the opponent is above you then use use up b
Decent! better if you use against HeavyWeights due to the start of up b is more powerful!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I figure I could share this one here. It's my first Little Mac matchup I had since coming back from surgery. Nothing real special about this but I figure I could use this as a reminder that I'll make a full recovery soon.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Whats up everyone! new to this side of the forums. i can currently only play 3ds Smash,but i'm saving for dat wii u smash as well. Little Mac was one of the first guys i picked up when i played this game,and he stuck to me like glue.(with some Ganon mixed in as well!) I hope i learn some new tricks of the trade here!

also,is there a method to get me to roll less? I'm doing less rolling as i did when i started,but i feel like i'm doing it too much for my liking.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Learn to Foxtrot, it is easy to learn, and its a good subsititute for rolling, it doesn't give you invincibility, but it does get you out of stuff faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azRrqKUJ-5o this will give you the visual teaching tool to learn how to use it. don't worry too much about the dash dancing part until you are ready to practice it, the foxtrot will take you like 30 seconds to master. glad to see more mac players here. :D

Top Bottom