• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Speaking of having a co-main in that video, who does everyone use as sort of a co-main for Mac?

I mix it up with ZSS or Lucina.
I only use Mac when I use him. I do have Jigglypuff as a main character but I don't really believe in the idea of counterpicking.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Speaking of having a co-main in that video, who does everyone use as sort of a co-main for Mac?

Rosalina is actually my main and Mega Man as one of my co-mains but I do use Little Mac as a secondary. I can only limit myself to using only five characters as my mains.

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
I consider myself a true Mac main, but my co-mains kick ass so I have them for tournament situations or when I absolutely need to based on the matchup.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I feel discouraged from playing him, but for different reasons.

It feels as if the game actively punishes you for picking LM. One wrong move, and there goes your stock.

"Oh, were you about to 2stock that guy? Too bad, cuz now he's ledge camping like nobody's business and he REALLY likes to grab. Have fun with that."

And of course, people just taunt the crap out of you because you dared to pick LM as opposed to jumping on the tier ***** bandwagon.

"Dude, I gimped LM! I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME." :4diddy:

Then I switch to :4dedede: and body them, but that's beside the point.

Having said all that, I never feel sorry for anyone or care if I make them salty, because LM deserves more respect than he gets. You wanna treat one of my mains like a joke? Enjoy eating this super armored forward smash, jackass! :4littlemac:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Hello. I'm new to smashboards, and a longtime smash player, but only started playing seriously for smash4.

LM is one of my mains, so here I am. I really enjoy playing as him, and every match feels like an intense boss battle. Sadly, most people seem content to try and cheese you to death or ledge camp, which makes for a really boring match. LM dittos are probably the most intense of all, though!

I'm still learning just what he's truly capable of. That "this character doesnt suck" video by BKG really opened my eyes.

I've had some good matches against characters that are usually bad matchups.

For example, just last night, I had one of the most heartbreaking moments in smash4.

I was playing as little mac in FG vs a villager, which is normally a terrible matchup, but I was wrecking him! And he wasnt a noob either, he was just doing what villagers do, and I was just on my A-game, outplaying him, reading his movements, and making some seriously cool plays. I won, too.

Then when I go to save the replay of this wonderful match so that I could share it with the world, I see this.

"You cant save any more replays."

My heart sank. I had reached the game's stupid replay limit and didnt even realize it. I hate how this game limits you to like 30 something replays because **** you, that's why.

They dont even give you an option to delete an older replay to make room for a new one, so if you're at the limit and you have an awesome match, TOO BAD FOR YOU.

Man, talk about a mood killer. I have an awesome match against a character who has a huge advantage over mine, and now it's gone forever, never to be seen by anyone.

FlashStormed

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flashstormed

I like to use Luigi and Falco sometimes! Luigi being my secondary i guess.

Man, talk about a mood killer. I have an awesome match against a character who has a huge advantage over mine, and now it's gone forever, never to be seen by anyone.
Do not worry! I will still believe you!

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I will say that a few of the things I managed to pull off were:

-countering the lloid rocket as he rid it to get back on stage, sending him right back to square one.
-landed a KO punch to take the first stock
-read his landing of another lloid rocket recovery and punished with a sweet-spotted up-smash to finish his last stock

Hermitdude

Smash Cadet
I just had 2 guys out of the 4 I played online today ditto me, not a good ditto either. I mean the "I'm gonna give this noob a taste of his own medicine" ditto. Man, I hate it when people do that.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I just had 2 guys out of the 4 I played online today ditto me, not a good ditto either. I mean the "I'm gonna give this noob a taste of his own medicine" ditto. Man, I hate it when people do that.
LM seems especially likely to make people do that. I guess they see it as "OH OK YOU WANNA USE THAT BROKEN CHARACTER THEN I'LL USE HIM AND SEE HOW YOU LIKE-"

-gets 2 stocked-

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

And then they make a thread on gamefaqs complaining about LM. It usually goes something like this:

"OMG U GAIZ LM IS WAY TOO OP. HE REWARDS BAD PLAYERS WITH SUPER ARMOR AND HE'S WAY TOO FAST. I mean, I dont ever lose to them cuz they're scrubs, but they're just really annoying is all!"

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I main Little Mac, I try to use him as often as I can.
And I only really play with my favorites. So these guys are my co-mains.:4megaman::4sonic::4samus:
I don't think they complement Mac THAT well. They say you shouldn't have more than 1-2 mains, but since I mained :pt: in Brawl, I'm used to learning 3 characters (or 4). At least :samus2:is a character I use in every Smash game.

--

On a different subject: Am I the only one who thinks Little Mac's personality changed a lot in Smash?
Smash Mac gives me a vibe of being angry/serious all the time. He doesn't smile once, not even when he wins!
And you can tell how all the new surge of Little Mac fanart, for example, has him frowning mostly (even when not in battle).
I know I may be nitpicking, but, anyone else feel Mac is a bit TOO angry in this game? XD

Last edited:

FlashStormed

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flashstormed

I enjoy dittos, but not when they're meant negatively. Like, I played a Marth who taunted after killing me ONCE, using the old Fair off stage bit. After catching on to his technique I soon beat him. So he decided to ditto me! I still beat him. He left. But I was left with a salty taste in my mouth.

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
I main Little Mac, I try to use him as often as I can.
And I only really play with my favorites. So these guys are my co-mains.:4megaman::4sonic::4samus:
I don't think they complement Mac THAT well. They say you shouldn't have more than 1-2 mains, but since I mained :pt: in Brawl, I'm used to learning 3 characters (or 4). At least :samus2:is a character I use in every Smash game.

--
On a different subject: Am I the only one who thinks Little Mac's personality changed a lot in Smash?
Smash Mac gives me a vibe of being angry/serious all the time. He doesn't smile once, not even when he wins!
And you can tell how all the new surge of Little Mac fanart, for example, has him frowning mostly (even when not in battle).
I know I may be nitpicking, but, anyone else feel Mac is a bit TOO angry in this game? XD
Ehh, people can have however many mains they want, but limit it to the top three they play the most imo. Your's makes sense too since you had :pt:as your main, though. If I had to choose between my three mains, I'm still a true :4littlemac: main all the way since he's always who I intended to main pre-Sm4sh.

Everyone has those characters, but are different. :4link: and :4falcon: are mine.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I decided to main Mac since I saw his trailer. That's gotta be the most hype trailer in the history of Smash Bros.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's even worse when they do that with Rosalina after I whooped their asses with her. When they ditto me with Mac after I beat them with him, I just switch to Rosalina and then send them back to their locker room with their salt.

Last edited:

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Thanks for the respect, guys. I guess Little Mac has had some controversy over the span of Smash 4 and it's understandable why nuisances like to pick on players who wish to play as LM, i just felt abit one-sided when getting laughed upon by the salty squids (i couldn't of thought of a better name) but now that i know you guys have had the same kind of hell i feel more encouraged. Neutral special fist-pumps.

Cookie Boy

Smash Rookie
[/quote]

I always considered this Mac to be a slightly older version of the one from Punch-Out Wii, so I guess that makes him slightly less "childish" if that's the right word.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I guess he's just hooked up to some real competition, the way I see it.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
That, or he's just pissed about being the laughing stock of smash4, and is tired of people's BS in general.

Perhaps that would explain why his smash moves have super armor and hit so hard; he uses the pain of loss and channels it into his fists. :laugh:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I always considered this Mac to be a slightly older version of the one from Punch-Out Wii, so I guess that makes him slightly less "childish" if that's the right word.[/quote]

Doc said Smash was no joke so he ain't playing around. Plus when you got shafted from Smash since Melee, he's got a chip on his shoulder. That or he's just serious. Plus he smirks here or there. Do his down taunt and his one of victory taunts, he has a small smirk. Besides, I think he aged compared to his PO Wii design

image.jpg

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
LM seems especially likely to make people do that. I guess they see it as "OH OK YOU WANNA USE THAT BROKEN CHARACTER THEN I'LL USE HIM AND SEE HOW YOU LIKE-"

-gets 2 stocked-

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

And then they make a thread on gamefaqs complaining about LM. It usually goes something like this:

"OMG U GAIZ LM IS WAY TOO OP. HE REWARDS BAD PLAYERS WITH SUPER ARMOR AND HE'S WAY TOO FAST. I mean, I dont ever lose to them cuz they're scrubs, but they're just really annoying is all!"
That's GameFAQs for ya.

Btw, I've recently fought a crazy good player who knew exactly what he was doing and I got 2-stock in all our 3 matches literally. I barely even touched him and not once I didn't take any of his stocks. The only downside was that he turned out to be a cocky ass ************ who slapped me with the "2-EZ" tag. I was like "it's not my fault I'm too busy making a living"

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I feel the need to apologize on behalf of everyone who used to hate on Mac back in the day, myself included.

I'm sure Mac's awful rep was from the first month or so when the game came out, and everyone played as Mac, and nobody knew how to use him, or deal with him. But now here we are half a year later, and we have learned how to deal with, as well as play as Little Mac, and for some reason people still seem to believe in the stereotype that was set when the game first came out.

Little Mac is the truest underdog of them all. People laugh at him when he loses, but hates to see him win. Respect to you guys.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
It's actually quite poetic how it's all turned out.

People laugh at him, mock him, look down on him, and underestimate him...just like his opponents in the punch-out games! It's amazing how well this is conveyed in smash bros. Some opponents will be complete pushovers (glass joe), and others will truly test your skill and punish you harshly for the slightest mistake (mr. sandman).

Thats why it's so easy to feel discouraged when playing mac; people hate him, they want him to lose, and lose embarrassingly at that. But like mac, we have to get back up again, and push forward.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's actually quite poetic how it's all turned out.

People laugh at him, mock him, look down on him, and underestimate him...just like his opponents in the punch-out games! It's amazing how well this is conveyed in smash bros. Some opponents will be complete pushovers (glass joe), and others will truly test your skill and punish you harshly for the slightest mistake (mr. sandman).

Thats why it's so easy to feel discouraged when playing mac; people hate him, they want him to lose, and lose embarrassingly at that. But like mac, we have to get back up again, and push forward.
Don't forget how absolute HYPE it is to watch Little Mac do good at tourneys. So could we say he also wins crowds? :D

Hermitdude

Smash Cadet
The sad part is there aren't many competitive level LM mains so we don't get to see it that often, but it makes it all the more sweet when it does!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I always considered this Mac to be a slightly older version of the one from Punch-Out Wii, so I guess that makes him slightly less "childish" if that's the right word.

Doc said Smash was no joke so he ain't playing around. Plus when you got shafted from Smash since Melee, he's got a chip on his shoulder. That or he's just serious. Plus he smirks here or there. Do his down taunt and his one of victory taunts, he has a small smirk. Besides, I think he aged compared to his PO Wii design

View attachment 55078[/quote]

Downloaded that image.
And yeah, I guess I'd also be angry if, being an all-star like Mac, I was rejected 3 times before.

Wait a minute... I recall in Punch Out Wii, in Little Mac's Last Stand, he looked pretty p*****. Maybe he was tired of competing, and since he was summoned back into the ring, he's not too amused about it.

I enjoy dittos, but not when they're meant negatively. Like, I played a Marth who taunted after killing me ONCE, using the old Fair off stage bit. After catching on to his technique I soon beat him. So he decided to ditto me! I still beat him. He left. But I was left with a salty taste in my mouth.
Yeah, I hate those kind of dittos as well. But sometimes, I face an oddball Little Mac who feels like sparring almost infinitely for the sake of practicing. Heck, one time we even both used sweatsuits as our alt.costumes because we understood we wanted to train together. It was pretty cool! And not a single word was said/written (3DS).
Usually, in my experience, sparring partners Little Macs in For Glory taunt at the beginning of the match (raising fist).
Anybody else come across them? :)

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
hey guys new to the board here, and my first competitive smash game. i want to start off with the fact that i wanted to main mac since i first saw the trailer, i was a HUGE fan and have played all the punch out games. one thing i want to say is that i know how to use mac right, but i am still learning him.

one thing i do want to bring up is that i don't mind the fact that most people think of mac as a bad character, it means that he will fly under the radar and not get nerfed. he has stupidly amazing frame data, with the fastest jab and down tilt, the second fastest forward tilt, and super armored smash attacks. not to mention down tilt combos into...well...everything. his recovery is bad, but there are ways around it, wall jumping into up-b is a huge help.

the other topic that has been on my mind involves a majority of the player base for little mac, and the smash opinion on mac in general. regarding little mac players, it pains me to see him played so badly (dash attack and side-b spam anyone?) and i wish there was a way to help correct their play style and improve their game. as for those who don't play mac, their isn't any respect for the character just two general opinions: he's op or he sucks depending on whether they win or lose. im hoping their might be a more respectable opinion on him later on in time, but for now it just irks me that not many people understand the character fully, or actually try to analyze mac.

p.s. i love playing dittos this is how i feel after showing them how to play mac right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrbKkCp43Ek

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
-throws massive hate towards Little Mac-

In all seriousness though, my cousin and I often go on For Glory doubles and we can both use Mac (me moreso than him) and since he uses Peach and Link and I use R.O.B. and Toon Link I decided to mess around with jump cancelled item tosses with a whole bunch of characters including Mac and just as an easy example, jump cancel item toss turnip into KO Punch registers as a true combo among other things. A lot easier to pull off with team attack off (which is what For Glory dubs has) but it's a fun little thing to know regardless.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
hey guys new to the board here, and my first competitive smash game. i want to start off with the fact that i wanted to main mac since i first saw the trailer, i was a HUGE fan and have played all the punch out games. one thing i want to say is that i know how to use mac right, but i am still learning him.

one thing i do want to bring up is that i don't mind the fact that most people think of mac as a bad character, it means that he will fly under the radar and not get nerfed. he has stupidly amazing frame data, with the fastest jab and down tilt, the second fastest forward tilt, and super armored smash attacks. not to mention down tilt combos into...well...everything. his recovery is bad, but there are ways around it, wall jumping into up-b is a huge help.

the other topic that has been on my mind involves a majority of the player base for little mac, and the smash opinion on mac in general. regarding little mac players, it pains me to see him played so badly (dash attack and side-b spam anyone?) and i wish there was a way to help correct their play style and improve their game. as for those who don't play mac, their isn't any respect for the character just two general opinions: he's op or he sucks depending on whether they win or lose. im hoping their might be a more respectable opinion on him later on in time, but for now it just irks me that not many people understand the character fully, or actually try to analyze mac.

p.s. i love playing dittos this is how i feel after showing them how to play mac right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrbKkCp43Ek
Make yourself at home and don't expect any haters in here. You can expect them on the Little Mac Whine/Defense and other threads.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I found that using Mac's neutral special in the air still has super armor.

I swear it went right through Jigglypuff's Back air and KO her when I landed the move

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Yeah, I hate those kind of dittos as well. But sometimes, I face an oddball Little Mac who feels like sparring almost infinitely for the sake of practicing. Heck, one time we even both used sweatsuits as our alt.costumes because we understood we wanted to train together. It was pretty cool! And not a single word was said/written (3DS).
I wonder if that was me you played. I just recently played several games against another LM, and he kicked my ass every single time. I was under the name "Frank" and used the pink sweatsuit.

Speaking of which, I love that alt for mac. Besides the inherent coolness of a hoodie, it represents how mac needs to keep training, keep getting better.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Make yourself at home and don't expect any haters in here. You can expect them on the Little Mac Whine/Defense and other threads.
awesome, im glad its not a salt fest thread like others ive seen. here's some things ive found on little mac that has been intriguing for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4_jyEhRBU - how often do you use macs nair to pummel or gimp?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSea7nIOvIw - not sure how viable this is, but it can be pulled off, ive only done it on DK though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DxLNCN6YWg - kenith already posted a link, but this video is extremely awesome, its helpful to new and veteran players of little mac.

my playstyle in general:

down tilt and jab are my neutral game moves to start, pressuring my opp. early on, learning their habits and forcing mistakes. typical combos include a one two jab and a down tilt (maybe 2 if the character is heavy) then mixing it up with pivot smashes and foward tilts. i like to save roll cancel grabbing until after i force my opp. into a defensive position, since they typically shield and not spot dodge as they don't think macs grab has any range. by mid percents im throwing out some safe smash attacks, but i prefer the liver blow front smash, as most people get knocked back just enough to miss the tech, then i can dair for a jab reset (i typically have ko punch by this time).

jet56

Smash Journeyman
not sure if i should mention it here or someone else, but i went to phoenix comicon may 28-31, they had a smash 4 tournament on the 31 hosted by azhp gaming, ended up in top 32 in winners, and top 8 losers. think it was a 256 person event. little mac as my main of course.

FlashStormed

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flashstormed
I wonder if that was me you played. I just recently played several games against another LM, and he kicked my *** every single time. I was under the name "Frank" and used the pink sweatsuit.

Speaking of which, I love that alt for mac. Besides the inherent coolness of a hoodie, it represents how mac needs to keep training, keep getting better.
I... feel like I played a pink sweatsuit mac recently.. and... maybe they had Frank used as a name.
My nickname is Storm. I usually use name tags. STORM and Flash. if this was you that'd be great!

If not, then please disregard this. Unless you want to reply saying it was not me! I'm open to anything!

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I wonder if that was me you played. I just recently played several games against another LM, and he kicked my *** every single time. I was under the name "Frank" and used the pink sweatsuit.

Yeah, it's cool, but it bothers me that he still does the taking sweatsuit off animation at the beginning...

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I... feel like I played a pink sweatsuit mac recently.. and... maybe they had Frank used as a name.
My nickname is Storm. I usually use name tags. STORM and Flash. if this was you that'd be great!

If not, then please disregard this. Unless you want to reply saying it was not me! I'm open to anything!
Yeah, I think it was you! It's hard to remember names when you play like 20+ people beforehand, but the name Storm definitely rings a bell.

We played like 5 or so matches and then I ended up SDing because I had to leave (ya know, real life business and all that). I think the last stage we played was bomb reset forest.

If it was you, you kicked my ass every single game, lol.

Top Bottom