• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede S Rank?

-EXO-

Smash Rookie
How has Dedede been winning so many tournaments? It seems to me like a ton of Dedede's matchups are either at a big advantage or big disadvantage. Is it all about secondaries? or luck when it comes down to the opponents main?

Thanks

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
I can beat some pretty good Meta Knights without a secondary, so I think it could just be the skill of the Dedede.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
I said I agreed, and then I input something else. Rewording his claim would be redundant and a waste of a post... Not unlike this one.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
You can thank Aero, M2K, and to a lesser extent, DSF. Sorry if I didn't name anyone, but those three really stand out in my mind.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
my worst matchups are metaknight, marth, gaw and falco. everything else is moderate or simple. ddd is a well balanced character with amazing strength and sexiness to boot. ddd should not even need a secondary. every tournament i play at i use ddd against every character. just takes time ;)

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's really much of a surprise, a lot of those matchup rankings are looked on a bit rigidly I think. Dedede's a lot more than just the chaingrab although it's definitely a big ace in the whole. He's a great mix of stalling moves like f-tilt and swallow, quick and powerful moves, extremely high endurance, grab range, decent jabs, a multi-use projectile, flexible and effective aerials including what's probably one of the best back-air moves in the game imo, smashes that are good in their niche uses, and the aerial variety and maneuverability of Kirby and Meta Knight as well as an extremely good recovery move. Even if he didn't have the chaingrab he's still an extremely good character. He has all the tools needed to make a defensive heavy character work I think.

I think because Dedede is a character designed to be primarilly defensive, in a game that heavilly favors defensive play even for more offensive characters, that could be a reason too.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
Marth, G&W, and MK are real trouble for me. Falco is okay as long as you can gimp his recovery, but Falco's CG to Dair is a pain..

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm surprized you're surprized. King Dedede's like a flying Ike with less lag, a dependible projectile, the easiest suicide attack in the game, and (do I even have to mention) a legendary chain grab. Really, he's a beast.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I main G&W and I haven't lost to any DeDeDe's since like March.

I have recently been crapping all over DeDeDe with my Pikachu as well. Try it out.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
If it makes you feel better, he's down to A rank now. Still 3rd best tourney rankings though...

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
It may have something to do with Mr. Game and Watch being the only character in the game who can't be chain grabbed. :laugh: I just learned this about a week ago oddly enough.
I'm sorry sir, but you've been misinformed.

Falco, Fox, G&W, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Meta Knight, Olimar, Pikachu, Sheik, Zelda and ZSS cannot be chained by Dedede.

Top Bottom