• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede, no walls infinite chain? info from japan

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I just heard about this from Kei-Takagi, the Japanese american, and I need someone to confirm this.

According to him, Dedede can infinitely chain grab certain characters by not moving from place and simply grabbing right after the Dthrow. he said this works on mario,luigi,samus,dk and in some situations bowser. apparently you can just do this from 0 to 250%, and then throw backwards for the kill.

can someone test this for me? I'm not home right now, and don't have my own copy yet.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I've tried it for a brief second against samus. Its nearly impossible. Whats the timing on it. Samus flies to far to get grab standing still.

Edit: Okay I've tested it a little bit more. The timing is extremely tight. I got it to work on mario. Though it seemed I could never do it near the edge. I havent tried it on a human opponent who could di. Again its very hard to do.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I haven't tried it myself, but kei said it's doable and ikki found it, so I tend to believe him.

can you try DK,mario and luigi?

aeota

Smash Cadet
Tested a bit with mario, luigi, dk and bowser.. Seems to work, but again, its VERY tough to do consecutively. I can't imagine someone doing this to get up from low to kill %'s on a human player. I was testing vs Comp.

Spamming the grab doesn't work, you really have to time it just right. Funny thing is, if you miss it, the character flies just outside of grabbing range.. but if you hit, it grabs them without moving.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I couldnt get it to work on mario without spamming z. I need to work on the timing. No wall infinite to across the stage chain grab to death throw= :)

aeota

Smash Cadet
I couldnt get it to work on mario without spamming z. I need to work on the timing. No wall infinite to across the stage chain grab to death throw= :)
This chain doesn't move you or the enemy, you just stay in place grabbing them and eventually F or B throw them. Unless I misunderstood your post. :p

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
No I was just saying start off with a chain throw(in place) then finish off with a chain throw across the stage to the edge. Then follow up with whatever you want. Also you said you couldn't spam z to chain throw in place. The only way i got it to work was spamming z. I just need to time it better i guess.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I'll test it out more when I get off work. Somebody will probably do it before me though. Vayseth add me to your Friends list. Im trying to add all michigan players so I can have some decent matches. If you do pm me.

Kel

Smash Master
this is harder to do than the ICs new continuous grab-throw-grab. It only works on a certain few characters, and if you have the tech skill to do it then you deserve to be able to use it.

If you do it too early your shield will pop up. Too late and you'll miss.

Samus, Mario, luigi, and DK all pop up a bit when dthrown. That in combination with Dedede's awesome standing grab range make this possible. It's very hard though.

Gojira

Smash Lord
how it works

The chain grab infinite against walls works on all characters that don't fall down from the chain grab up until 999% You can even get a down smash right after the throw to kill at 150% Characters like toon link (doesn't fall down but goes to far) can still be chain grabbed infinitely if you manage to a grab on him against the wall. Also on some characters at low percents you can even mix in a F-tilt, then grab again.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
this is harder to do than the ICs new continuous grab-throw-grab. It only works on a certain few characters, and if you have the tech skill to do it then you deserve to be able to use it.

If you do it too early your shield will pop up. Too late and you'll miss.

Samus, Mario, luigi, and DK all pop up a bit when dthrown. That in combination with Dedede's awesome standing grab range make this possible. It's very hard though.
So it ONLY works on Samus, Mario, luigi, and DK (sometimes Bowser)? Taht's still awesome.

VoiceOfDoom

Smash Rookie
I've been able to do this about 3-4 times in a row on mario, luigi, and samus and I've been able to do it 7-10 times against DK. Samus can probably get out of it by DI because D3 grabs her by the foot, but the others especially DK probably won't be able to. Also I've have not been able to do this with bowser.

Gojira

Smash Lord
So it ONLY works on Samus, Mario, luigi, and DK (sometimes Bowser)? Taht's still awesome.
.......and ganondorf, marth, lucario, sonic, ike, dedede, captain falcon, R.O.B..Also it always works on bowser, and i think link(not to sure). And I am sure there are some characters I am forgetting to mention.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I've been able to do this about 3-4 times in a row on mario, luigi, and samus and I've been able to do it 7-10 times against DK. Samus can probably get out of it by DI because D3 grabs her by the foot, but the others especially DK probably won't be able to. Also I've have not been able to do this with bowser.
Nope. I just tested it on samus. I had my brother try to di out. I did it like 10 times to him. Only reason I stopped is because i f'ed up the timing. It seems kindof easy now. If I continue to practice ill be perfect with it. If I can find my camera phone ill post a low quality video. I lost a the piece that connects my gamebridge to my computer so I cant record with that.

Edit: Chain grab infinite doesnt work near the edge. Characters fall different near the edge(away and down), so there too far for him to grab.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
.......and ganondorf, marth, lucario, sonic, ike, dedede, captain falcon, R.O.B..Also it always works on bowser, and i think link(not to sure). And I am sure there are some characters I am forgetting to mention.
would you bother reading before posting BS please? this thread is discussing the "don't move and grab while throwing animation is finishing" infinite Dthrow in place, that only works on mario,luigi,samus and DK. and not the normal "chase him and do a dashing shield grab" chaingrab that everyone knows about.

Luk3ling

Smash Rookie
would you bother reading before posting BS please? this thread is discussing the "don't move and grab while throwing animation is finishing" infinite Dthrow in place, that only works on mario,luigi,samus and DK. and not the normal "chase him and do a dashing shield grab" chaingrab that everyone knows about.
Just tested it and confirmed for DK, I got it as high as 560% before I screwed up.

I didn't even need to get a refined timing(Just had to make sure not to hit Z when I had DK, or DDD would smack him. It doesn't really mess up the chain, but would give the enemy a chance to escape), i just tilted my controller, moved my right hand away from it's traditional space and mashed Z as quickly as possible with my index finger and it grabbed him every time at the exact same point in the throw.

This was against a computer though, nintendo wi-fi servers willing, i'll take it online and do a few player tests after I test it on out some other characters.

EDIT: Tested all the mentioned characters and can chain throw them all into the multi-hundreds, Luigi requires an actual timing method, where as DK or Samus you can basically just mash the button as my original post mentioned.

Also, it's not exactly the same, but you can also chain down throw Ganondorf without using DDDs usual chain throw tactics. Just down throw Ganondorf, and start walking towards him ASAP and do another grab, had a firend help me test it, and it seems just as effective as not moving at all and with less space covered than dash grabbing.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
man, i can't seem to get this... everytime I went for the grab against samus, I would shield. What makes it worse is it seems like im the only DDD user that cant do it right now. lol

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Easiest way to do it is to hit z twice just after ddd touches the ground. That helped me get it almost everytime.

I tested the infinite with samus on the edge. She falls different then mario so you can keep grabbing her real close to the edge. Heres a video for those wanting to see how it looks. The quality is crappy because its my camera phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzC8eMCi3As

This was done against cpu with no DI, but I tested with my brother the other day and he couldnt escape.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I'll be playing a bit of a brawlfest with some friends tonight...can't wait to do this.
Do we have a comprehensive list of the characters it works on, or were the few listed just the ones it was tested on?

Easiest way to do it is to hit z twice just after ddd touches the ground. That helped me get it almost everytime.

I tested the infinite with samus on the edge. She falls different then mario so you can keep grabbing her real close to the edge. Heres a video for those wanting to see how it looks. The quality is crappy because its my camera phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzC8eMCi3As

This was done against cpu with no DI, but I tested with my brother the other day and he couldnt escape.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I believe it only works on those 4 characters. There's a thread above with the list of characters who can get chain grabbed and infinite chain grabbed.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
I have to try this again tonight. I want to get the timing on it so that I don't have to mash buttons in order to pull it off. thanks for the vid though.

BalefireBoy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Kei's a friend of mine and he told us about this chain grab a couple weeks ago.

It took me about 2-3 hours to get it down and there are some interesting things we learned as we were practicing it. First, we were practicing it in training mode which has no move decay at all. In training mode after those few hours and getting the timing down finally (I did find a trick that makes it very easy) I could typically get a good 15-20 CGs off before messing up. And as far as I can tell the timing is same on all four of the characters.

Then we went into real matches to test against human opponents and I could only get maybe 6 off and then I couldn't do it AT ALL after that. I hit him with a couple other moves and then I could do it again. Basically what we found was that move decay also effects the "hitbox" of a grab. The hitbox shrinks and this grab is basically frame-precise so the CG doesn't work anymore. So to get to high % with this you need to hit with your grab-headbutt inbetween each d-throw to keep the grab hitbox fresh. Plus the headbutt adds damage anyway so it won't take as many throws to reach a killing % with B-throw.

As far as banning this goes, I'm not sure. It does only work on those four characters for sure ( and I guess sometimes Bowser, haven't tried with him much) but after a few hours of practice it's inescapable unless DDD messes up. All DDD has to do is land a grab and he's got a great one so it's not like it's hard to set up. Basically I don't see how those four characters could hope to win against DDD using this technique. It's a forced character switch or ban the technique in someway, probably completely.

Oh, and it does work as you D-throw the person off the edge.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Yeah, Kei's a friend of mine and he told us about this chain grab a couple weeks ago.

It took me about 2-3 hours to get it down and there are some interesting things we learned as we were practicing it. First, we were practicing it in training mode which has no move decay at all. In training mode after those few hours and getting the timing down finally (I did find a trick that makes it very easy) I could typically get a good 15-20 CGs off before messing up. And as far as I can tell the timing is same on all four of the characters.

Then we went into real matches to test against human opponents and I could only get maybe 6 off and then I couldn't do it AT ALL after that. I hit him with a couple other moves and then I could do it again. Basically what we found was that move decay also effects the "hitbox" of a grab. The hitbox shrinks and this grab is basically frame-precise so the CG doesn't work anymore. So to get to high % with this you need to hit with your grab-headbutt inbetween each d-throw to keep the grab hitbox fresh. Plus the headbutt adds damage anyway so it won't take as many throws to reach a killing % with B-throw.
You guys have it a bit wrong.

The only TRUE infinites are done on DK and Bowser, since they have huge hit boxes and do not go back far enough.

Luigi, Samus, and Mario can only be chained together in the same fashion a total of 5 times before the move becomes stale and they move too far away. I tested this at even 100%. When D3's throw is unstale you get a total of 5 infinite throws, no matter what. After 5, they move JUST out of his reach, which makes them chain throwable (save luigi). The only TRUE infinites are done on bowser and DK. I've also had better success with the timing once I set X to throw. Much easier to hit than Z.

Don't test stuff in practice mode, EVER. Test it on infinite time in an actual brawl match. You'll get the best results.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Just to add on to what I said before:

Mario, Luigi, and Samus can be infinited. However, you must stop the move decay from the down throw by punching them while being grabbed with A in between throws (once or twice between throws will do the trick). The move decay list is only 9 moves deep so if you are punching once or twice between each throw, the down throw will never decay, and you can infinite those three. I just tested it, and it works. So, it's an infinite at higher percents, assuming people actually try to break out of the grabs. If your opponent does nothing, you can do it from 0% by punching between each throw. Otherwise, from 50% on, you're practically guaranteed an infinite on those three.

orintemple

Smash Lord
This is crazy, I am definitely going to practice this and piss off some people at school. It will be banned in tourney for sure but it will be fun to show off with XD

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
The way everyone was talking about this, I thought it was gonna be like, really fast or something. I could see this probably being limited, since it's not particularly fast, and easy to keep track of.

You should be able to just "infinite" them a few times, then continue with a normal chaingrab, if it does end up being limited.

I'm certainly not gonna abuse this, but that's not gonna help it not get banned/limited, anyway.

Top Bottom