• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede In SE

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Anyone else wondering about Dedede's role in SE?

It appears that they are separating the characters out into heroes and villains who act against the SE, but I've never been to sure that any characters will be truly evil (seeing as apparently they are all playable), and if those working for the SE will be bosses or change to the good side (or both), especially Bowser (I don't see him letting someone else take over his world) and Wario (when he realizes there's no profit in siding with them).

But, in the case that evil characters stay evil, where do you think Dedede will fit in. He's never been truly evil in the games, in fact, I think the only game where he's done something merely for the sake of being evil was the first ever Kirby game. In the other ones he was doing what he was doing to prevent evil (Kirby Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland) or was possessed.

Any ideas?

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Well Wario seems to be a villian in SE, so I think Dedede will be too. I think they might make you fight other playable characters to help the story line.

Maybe the bad guys will possess him in this one as well, haha.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I think King Dedede will play the role of an antagonist, as he has in previous Kirby games. King Dedede is greedy, there is no denying that. Perhaps he'll think siding with the Ancient Minister will make him wealthy. Though he may switch sides if he find their is no profit to be gained by serving the Ancient Minister.

-Knight

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Or maybe makes a deal with the Ancient Minister to send enemies to destroy Kirby, like he does in that show.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
Most of the time he was possessed by the Dark Matter. At least in Kirby's Adventure and Kirby 64, if I remember correctly. That Dark Matter would be an awesome boss in SE. Or Dynablade too from Kirby Super Star. I hope that you'll have to infiltrate his castle and battle him at the top. That or at the Fountain of Dreams.

MetaKnightRules5

Smash Cadet
Maybe he possessed by dark mind from the amazing mirror. Like Dark mind comes out of the mirror and u have to face him in his human form and his eyeball form. U might know what i am talking about if u played Kirby and the amazing mirror. If there is a way in there is a way out.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dark Matter if he is possessed at all...

I don't think Dedede would ever work for anyone, he doesn't seem the type. Dedede would also fight against any evil that threatened his kingdom too...

...He probably will be an antagonist first though and probably seemingly reluctantly join the heroes...?

Hong

The Strongest
Now, this is all offhand memory, so correct me if I'm wrong...
If you ever fought King Dedede in the past, he was;
Hoarding food
Industrializing
Posessed by Dark Matter (most common)
Misinterpreted intentions (Trying to protect Dreamland from Nightmare in Kirby's Adventure)

King Dedede, after being defeated, has sided with Kirby in;
Kirby's Adventure & Nightmare in Dream Land
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Kirby Squeek Squad

I'm hoping that you'll have to beat the Dark Matter out of him this time around. Heck, it'd be even funnier if while Donkey and Diddy Kong were battling with Bowser for the banana hoard, King Dedede with a band of Waddle Dees ran off with all of them!

Duality

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Dedede would ever work for anyone, he doesn't seem the type. Dedede would also fight against any evil that threatened his kingdom too...
Are you referring to my post? I meant like he would hire or make a deal with the Ancient Minister to do things for him (like take out Kirby or something).

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Considering Dex3 isn't exactly evil I would say that he would be against Kirby / the good guys but not because he is a bad guy...

SM: Hey DeDeDe Kirby said your fat!
DeX3: What!? I'm gonna kill him!!

You see? likely something trivial or maybe him being mislead.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
In Kirby's Adventure he was actually trying to prevent Nightmare from taking over and/or destroying his world (IE, he was a good guy), but his actions were seen as being evil, as the item he was hoarding to prevent Nightmare from getting it was a necessity to the people of Dream Land. However, he was still fighting to prevent evil from destroying the world, as he usually does when not possessed.

He's greedy, but he's definitely seeks to prevent evil and destruction (like what the SE is doing, or at least what the Nintendo characters see it as), and, if he wasn't possessed all the time, he'd probably be considered an anti-hero.

That's the role i think he should play in SE, as an unlikely ally, who possibly gets roped into villainy if he joins the villainous side...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Poor Dedede, always being labeled as a "villain". :(
That's because he IS a villain...

And darn proud of it! :chuckle:

At least that's what I assume.

He's kind of like Dr. Eggman; greedy and somewhat evil, yet knows when to fight for the greater good, or rather, for his own interest (no world = no life = bad).

burrito

Smash Lord
Hardly any Nintendo villains are really that evil. I think all the villains will eventaully have to team up with the heroes to fight the subspace emissary, anyways.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Nope... Dr.Egg is a bad guy try's to take over the world etc... DeX3 is not.
He tried to take over the world, but when a greater threat reveals itself, he usually allies himself with Sonic and the others.

The same kind of goes for King Dedede in some games.

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
i think Dedede might've had something to do with stealing Meta Knight's ship. the Ancient Minister probably wanted the Halberd but didnt know where it was so he found Dedede idk there's just so many possibilities

HuskytheGeek

Smash Journeyman
I can't predict what Dedede's role will be in SSE, but I just hope he will do the right thing in the end. I always saw him as a guy who would do the right thing in the end. I love that moment at the end of Kirby's Adventure when he tries to stop Kirby from putting the Star Rod back in the Fountain Of Dreams. Dark Matter appears and the King spits Kirby into space to stop it.

Sprigginz_Caldo

Smash Apprentice
Uhm...I think DeDeDe is just a little bit dense. He would side for the team that makes most sense to him, a.k.a getting tricked by the ne'er-do-goods to do evil. I don't think he is actually an evil person.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Uhm...I think DeDeDe is just a little bit dense. He would side for the team that makes most sense to him, a.k.a getting tricked by the ne'er-do-goods to do evil. I don't think he is actually an evil person.
If Dedede is the one that's dense, why is it always Kirby unleashing the great evil and Dedede the one trying to stop it...

Sure something usually possesses him because of that but kirby's the one that never realizes Dedede is not the true villain

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I can't predict what Dedede's role will be in SSE, but I just hope he will do the right thing in the end. I always saw him as a guy who would do the right thing in the end. I love that moment at the end of Kirby's Adventure when he tries to stop Kirby from putting the Star Rod back in the Fountain Of Dreams. Dark Matter appears and the King spits Kirby into space to stop it.
It's not Dark Matter, it's Nightmare.

Dark Matter doesn't appear until Kirby's Dream Land 2.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
He tried to take over the world, but when a greater threat reveals itself, he usually allies himself with Sonic and the others.

The same kind of goes for King Dedede in some games.
Except Dedede never tries to take over the world, he just build a castle and claims he owns it. The implication being that no-one really takes his rule that seriously.

The only evil thing he's even shown to be doing in the games, not counting when he's possessed (which he is in most of his villainous appearances), is stealing/hoarding food in the first Kirby game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Except Dedede never tries to take over the world, he just build a castle and claims he owns it. The implication being that no-one really takes his rule that seriously.

The only evil thing he's even shown to be doing in the games, not counting when he's possessed (which he is in most of his villainous appearances), is stealing/hoarding food in the first Kirby game.
How could it be HIS evil when he's being forced against his will...He's only possessed BTW when attempting to stop the evil force too...

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
Hardly any Nintendo villains are really that evil. I think all the villains will eventaully have to team up with the heroes to fight the subspace emissary, anyways.
...You're forgetting a certain Legend of Zelda antagonist.

But Anyways, I think Dedede will side with the SA because he thinks he can profit from him, and the AM can give him the power to destroy Kirby. I think this is what will happen to Bowser and Ganon, too.

Wario, just 4 money.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
I don't think DeDeDe will be a villain in this game. He's never really been evil just kinda stupid. As such I expect his SE story to be comically stupid as well. Maybe something like, an army of primids appear outside his castle and he goes out and says to them (in his southern colonel accent because it PWNS no matter what people say) "HEY! You bois betta get off my property. Or else I'll be forced to go inside and get my hamma.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Well I think the main reason he was put in Brawl was because Sakurai said himself that he wanted more VILLAIN characters. Face it guys. DeDeDe is the main villain whether he looks it or not. I haven't played but from what I've heard he does quite a few unethical things whether or not it's like dark matter or something. Btw, I'm thinking about getting Kirby Super Star for my first Kirby game on VC.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
I'd be more inclined to believe that Dedede would be evil if, like the OP stated, Dedede had never tried to prevent evil from happening in the Kirby series. After Kirby's Dreamland, he's been more of a misunderstood character. He even was a hero in some of Kirby's games. Then again, the only villian that we know is helping the SE is Wario. Other than that, Bowser actually appears to be working on his own terms, and no other villians have been introduced in the story line. Ideally, I'd love to see Dedede team up with the Ice Climbers. Mallet users gotta stick together!

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
I just can't see him being straight up evil in SE.

I think he'll side with the ancient minister at first, (maybe he doesn't know what they're doing/he's possessed/he wants to beat kirby) but eventually he'll come around and join the team.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I think Dedede's going to be reluctant to join anyone at first, but if the Primid overun his castle, he'll realize that they've messed with the wrong monarch.

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
Dedede will most likely be trying to defeat the SE because they're trying to destroy his kingdom.
That could be a way to get all the characters, including the playable villains, would fight against the Susbspace Army.
They were getting their world destroyed, so they all unite to save it.
It's just an idea.

Dedede could very well be greedy enough to fight the Army in his own way. With his own reasons.

Lexl5

Smash Journeyman
Dedede seems like he never had a stroke of good in him, unlike Bowser.
In fact, personality-wise, he reminds me more of Ganondorf.
His anime voice is still hilarious though
IMA GIT THAHT THARR KIRB-AH!

Top Bottom