• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede Floats

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I think its pretty pbvious at this point that the King can float. Whether its a multi-jump (which, IMO, would make more sense) or a glide (which works just as well), I think we can agree he's got a pretty good recovery for a heavyweight fighter. Than add the vertical reach of that Super Dedede Jump, and you've got an interesting character.

iron blade

Smash Ace
Hah Ironblades, from your sig, youve got a thing for characters with swords eh?

Ah the name gives it away too haha
yea, a few people have said the same thing. it's my favorite style of fighting.

i'm wondering about dedede's up b, because it says something about the landing. i hope you can angle it otherwise i guess you come straight back down. *shrugs*

superorange

Smash Rookie
I'd like to point out that King DeDeDe wasn't even announced til 2 months after the gliding update.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I'm sure you can angle his up B at least a little bit, like you can with Kirby's. In all the games, Dedede doesn't just jump straight up and down, he has some degree of horizantal movement. Plus, a straight up and down recovery makes no sense at all, you hafta have some sideways leverage, or its literally instant death.

Also, superorange, what do you mean by that? He's just as likely to have a glide as he isnt, regardless of when he was revealed.

I noticed something. Pit and MK are shown in the E for All vids (and Charizard is said on the site) to be able to angle their glides, either swooping up or diving down. It looks like a really fluid, maneuvarable action in the clips. I don't see a huge balloon-like object being able to angle itself up or down like that.

And there's just another pic of Dedede floating in the Returning Pokemon section (look below Snorlax, things aren't looking good for him ;))

Eaode

Smash Champion
I'm sure you can angle his up B at least a little bit, like you can with Kirby's. In all the games, Dedede doesn't just jump straight up and down, he has some degree of horizantal movement. Plus, a straight up and down recovery makes no sense at all, you hafta have some sideways leverage, or its literally instant death.
Also remember that you can cancel it in midair, so you get back your regular amount of maneuverability afterward.

iron blade

Smash Ace
all that picture is is when you get to close to the edge you lose balance sorta
why would he puff up when he was leaning on the edge? also, there's no way he's leaning on it because he's almost completely sideways. there would be no way he could balance on it in that position.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
While I'm sure Dedede will have multiple jumps, I seriously doubt he'll be able to glide afterwards. If anything, filling himself with air would just cause him to fall at a slower speed.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
No Circles, your not alone! Dedede is going to be a pretty ownsome character. He's a heavy, but he clearly has some sort of good aerial recovery (multi-jump, glide, float, we'll see) and an amazing moveset with some real power, even Waddle Dee Toss looks like it has pretty good knockback!! So yeah, I think he's gonna own, and I'm gonna own with him. XD

Also, in response to everyone's theory about him puffing up on the edge, what about these two pics, where he is clearly inflated in midair?
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/mball/images/mball07/mball07_071204i-l.jpg
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/images/various10/various10_071029a-l.jpg

Eaode said:
Also remember that you can cancel it in midair, so you get back your regular amount of maneuverability afterward.
I was just wondering, will he be able to move around after canceling or will he go into freefall?

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Well, even if he went into freefall, it would mean you could angle your plummet somewhat and maybe make it back to the platform, rather than simply continuing your swift descending dive into the abyss below the stage. It's not to different from Kirby's Up B, if you don;t hit land you keep on falling, and there goes a life. Super Dedede jump seems like a stronger, ground-shaking version of Final Cutter, except if it's not looking like you'll hit ground you can cancel and attempt to fall more slowly toward safety. That's the idea I got from it anyway.

blubomber17

Smash Apprentice
Ah. I hope it will work like Meta Knight's: Upon cancelling, you can still puff. That'd be a God recovery though, so I don't think it'll happen. Free-fall would work just as well, I suppose.

pezmaniac

Smash Rookie
i figured they would let him float, thats how he was in kirby's adventure, it would have been stupid if he couldnt do that

iron blade

Smash Ace
he can float but i really hope he can't glide. it wouldn't make sense. dedede could never glide in the games, he could only puff up like kirby and slowly float down. he should definitely have some kind of inhale ability though.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
I'd be cool to have a heavy weight charecter have the ability to float, but that means all of the Kirby Chars. have multipule jumps, and that's kinda....idk.....i just don't like the thought of that.

Mav of Brill

Smash Cadet
i don't see the problem with them floating, it'll bring a new strategy to fighting with a heavy weight, and make him completely unique and fun to play. can't wait for this game.

Legendary_Kyle

Smash Apprentice
OMZ, i dont care what anyone has said, King Dedede has RUINED Smash Bros. he better be a heavy character but worse than bowser so everyone will HATE him :flame:

Asian_Flava

Smash Ace
OMZ, i dont care what anyone has said, King Dedede has RUINED Smash Bros. he better be a heavy character but worse than bowser so everyone will HATE him :flame:
He hasnt ruined it, he's made the game 10x better son.. He is already heavy, they said this at the Dojo.. And despite his suckiness, Ill still play him because he's a friggin PENGUIN!!

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
he can float but i really hope he can't glide. it wouldn't make sense. dedede could never glide in the games, he could only puff up like kirby and slowly float down. he should definitely have some kind of inhale ability though.
he could glide at the end of Knightmare in Dreamland. Not sure about Kirby's Adventure but definitly the GBA remake.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
But don't you want to hear the science that makes the game exactly 10 times the worse from King DeDeDe's appearance?
Science makes my liver ache. :( But seriously that Kyle is just a douche. Dedede is one of those characters that Kirby fans love, and the rest are either interested in or appalled by. Not much medium views - either he's a stupid fat idiot or a crazy mallet serial killa. I choose the latter.

In other news, I just realized today that the Stage Builder update shows Dedede floating as well.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Don't come on this thread to bash characters you don't like!! Doing so runs the risk of getting Jet Hammered by us Dedede fans, or at least getting your favorite characters Jet Hammered. ;) ;)

By the way Tidal, when I woke up that morning and saw that picture I KNEW Dedede would be one of my mains. Plus, three updates in a row revealed interesting facts about him: his confirmation, moveset, and floatiness. ^_^

iron blade

Smash Ace
Science makes my liver ache. :( But seriously that Kyle is just a douche. Dedede is one of those characters that Kirby fans love, and the rest are either interested in or appalled by. Not much medium views - either he's a stupid fat idiot or a crazy mallet serial killa. I choose the latter.

In other news, I just realized today that the Stage Builder update shows Dedede floating as well.
LOL. that pretty much sums it up.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I first thought he would have multi jumps, but he wont after watching all the boss videos I could find on youtube.

His float is going to be its own techinque, like how peach has her float from SMB 2 just created for her as her own techinque. Its not going to be gliding like pit/metaknight/charizard, or multiple jumps like metaknight and kirby and pit or jigglypuff.

I expect it to work like Pits up B (free flight for a few seconds), since thats how dedede has used it in all the games. He puffs up, and then free floats in any direction he wants. How long you can do this in SSBB we can only wait and see.

And we dont know how itll work either exactly. Ground jump + 2nd jump + hold jump button to float in any direction for a few seconds? Then you have your Up b as well.

Thats how I expect it to work. Seems awesome. :chuckle:

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Dedede, future Brawl tourney star? maybe! But my god, his model is freaking ginormous on Pokemon Staduim and Castle Siege, he rivals Bowser and D.K. in size from that video it seems.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
So yeah; DeDeDe's a heavyweight and heavy-hitting character with fantastic recovery.

I smell top tier.
Yeah...but the thing is, they have to make some sort of weakness to him. I mean, other than the fact that he's potentially slow.

It seems nice, but it'll really be a pain to fight against once the game comes out.

...although that might just give me a reason to main him...hmm...

Top Bottom