• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Midwest, we need to talk *READ 1st POST BEFORE REPLYING*

Drummaniac

Smash Rookie
This post spoke to me hard!
I'm just like you in the story. I always played smash with my friends, and I thought I was amazing, until seeing these videos, and it blew me away. I'm new to the community, so I'm still in that phase where all I want to do is get better every day, Until I get to the point of being the best! The smash community seems like an amazing one to be in, and I want to be able to get better, and meet new friends along the way. I'm guessing many of you are seasoned veterans in smash, and are getting to where you want to be. Many of you, however, are slowing down on your practicing, and I feel sorry, because, you may have more skill, but one thing you can learn from a novice like myself, is to keep that hunger and drive to get better. Thank you for reading this, and I hope to see you all later :)
THANK YOU!!!

Day•vG

Smash Rookie
NNID
Day-vG
I definitely want to get better. Right now I'm trying to get ppl from Colorado together for practices and tournaments. I already have a few ppl interested, but we need more if we want to get better. I am trying to culture this community with the sole purpose of dedicating time and energy into doing something progressive and fun. We welcome anyone who wants to spend their time doing the same

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I still love this post. It really helped shaped my perspective on improvement back when I was starting out.
I reread it every once in awhile for inspiration.

I think a big big part of improving the region as a whole is that the midwest does not really do anything whatsoever to push the metagame forward. Things as little as incorporating shield drops, or experimenting with new concepts and theories people bring up in character specific threads or things like that.

Playing catchup all the time is how you stay bad. Try to be at the head of the curve. I'm not the best player in the world or anything, but anytime someone starts talking about new tech, especially when it relates to ICs, my main, I'm on it. I'm experimenting with it, and then I share what I find.
This is how I develop a lot of new things. I take the things top players aren't doing yet. I develop my own take on things, I create new concepts.

I'm not a great player in the grand scheme of melee, but the drive to innovate in order to get ahead is what keeps me going.

The fact that this concept is lost on most players in the midwest is probably the part that saddens me the most.

I go to tournaments and look at the top players still playing like it's 2008, closed off completely to criticism or new ideas. It's not the way we get better, it's the way we stay the worst region in the US.

Playing to improve.

captainroy

Smash Rookie
im trying to improve and look for other players near the Columbus ohio area can anyone help me?

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
Jason, you are so inspiring.
Literally.
It's past midnight, I have to be up at seven, decided to read this before bed and then suddenly I am in the lab practicing reverse ledge dashes with zero volume and my hands under a blanket so I don't wake my son in the next room. So I felt the need to pause to share this with you. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the game right now, but I'm going to weeklies in Michiana that are trying to set up their own rankings, and have officially started my own smash notebook (something I would have laughed only a year ago). Gotta say that You and Lance were so supportive and encouraging for the little while I was with you guys, and it's completely changed the way I think about this game. I can pretty confidently say that I didn't try at this game for probably three or more years before I met Purdue Smash, and that it feels good to be trying again, lol. Love you guys, the Midwest, and the entire Melee community.

I am playing to improve.

(Also, shout-outs to Noremac, Mr. Owl, Yogi, Yog1, and all the rest of Purdue Smash, past and present. You all played a part in really bringing me back to this game.)

Top Bottom