• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DAY 4: POLL-- Do you want Shiek as a Seperate Char. or as Part of Zelda?

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
EDIT 5: POLL CLOSED- final results here----
EDIT 4: awsome less counting, ill keep this poll going until it seems everyone who wanted 2 vote votes.
EDIT 3: wow this thread exploded, but guys PLZ VOTE IN NUMBERS!!! anyway, as I predicted, most ppl chose shiek to be cut, but its not an overwhelming majority so lets see how this plays out.

My opinion is that, even though a lot of the smash fanbase wants to see her out for various reasons, MOST people who played smash will be dismayed if Shiek doesn't return or ATLEAST her moveset isn't used/ My educated guess (educated by the interview stating shieks design is in the works) is that Shiek will return, but I don't want to see her attatched to Zelda as it would not make any sense since Zelda's donned the TP style AND theres no reason for a 10 year old costume to nerf a character whos appeared without Shiek several times.

Oh yeah, Shiek COULD be a costume, this would kindof make sense in that Shiek never really fought in OoT and for all we know she probably fought just like Zelda... since she was Zelda.

EDIT2: Im putting "Shiek should be out" as an option, but I didn't add it in the 1st place because I think I already know that most ppl will vote for it... I'll take it out if it looks overwhelmingly that way
----------------------------------------------------
Just curious to see the overall fanbase's view on this. I didn't include "take sheik out of brawl" because this is just a inquiry over what role do most people want sheik to play if included in the roster.

Obviously Sakurai is hiding something about Zelda, either that she has a new down b, or he is hiding Shiek's return as a move (as Zelda is now the ONLY confirmed character with nothing in her profile other than her 4 pics... and she's been around for 5 months)

My OPINIONS on this are that I myself, a Zelda main, have strong anti-sheik sentiments, because sheik overshadowed Zelda in melee and I don't think a 10 year old 1-time plot trick should take up one of Zelda's move (and mabye nerf zelda because she has shiek- like in melee), but her popularity and vetranship should earn her the right to return as a character. Oh ya it would break continuity too (not an opinion :p )

---ill update it roughly everyday for about a week

FINAL RESULTS:
#1Sheik should a seperate character in Brawl:
#2Sheik should be part of Zelda in Brawl: 28
#3Shiek should be out of Brawl: 28

SUMMARY:In the end it looks like most people want shiek in, and those who do want it in want her to be an attachment. (though on the original subject and intent of the poll of Shiek bieng part of Zelda or not(Seperate/Gone), Not being part of Zelda (Seperate/Gone) Wins.)

EDIT1: VOTE IN NUMBERS now so theres no ambiguity
I vote: #1

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
I have to believe that Sheik will make a return. There is no real reason to remove her from this game.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
And there is no real reason for her to be her own character and waste a space that could go to someone who down right deserves the spot.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
I have to believe that Sheik will make a return. There is no real reason to remove her from this game.
as a seperate character or as zelda's move? (dam i can't find the button that lets you make a REAL poll, did they take it off??)

-- oh and don't put ambigous posts saying that she should not be in brawl, because i might think your answering to the poll when youre actually saying "none of the above"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The poll isn't complete. There should also be the option that Sheik should be removed all togheter. And I ofcoarse would vote for that. =)

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Well let's see...She hasn't had a special move update for one. That just leaves it up in the air. Another thing is that this Zelda is based on Twilight Princess Zelda. It just lowers her chances. I personally don't care if she's in or not.

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
If Shiek does return, she should be her own character and an unlockable. More a tribute to Melee than to Ocarina of Time.

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
as a seperate character or as zelda's move? (dam i can't find the button that lets you make a REAL poll, did they take it off??)

-- oh and don't put ambigous posts saying that she should not be in brawl, because i might think your answering to the poll when youre actually saying "none of the above"
I believe that Sheik should still remain a play off of Zelda. This would be more cognizable since Sheik was never his/her own character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Considering how Zelda, despite looking like her Twilight Princess, still has the spells from Ocarina of Time, I really don't see a reason in getting rid of Shiek. He/she was the only thing that keep Zelda from being one of the worst fighters in the game. In the end, the biggest question would have to be why would anyone want to take away the most unique trait of an otherwise dull character?

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Considering how Zelda, despite looking like her Twilight Princess, still has the spells from Ocarina of Time, I really don't see a reason in getting rid of Shiek. He/she was the only thing that keep Zelda from being one of the worst fighters in the game. In the end, the biggest question would have to be why would anyone want to take away the most unique trait of an otherwise dull character?
b/c the character was made dull BECAUSE of shiek, according to her trophy zelda balances out shiek, in that both were nerfed, in reality only zelda was nerfed (shieks b moves were nerfed tho), and you need to look at mario's down b, which is completely different from his old down b, leading me to think they can change some b moves.

im guessing your answer is a number 2

Fearthesmash

Smash Apprentice
I vote #3 the character of ambigious gender who is only popular due to being strong in melee shouldn't return.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
If Shiek does return, she should be her own character and an unlockable. More a tribute to Melee than to Ocarina of Time.
FAIL. She doesn't need to be a character if she is a part of another, it's a waste of space that could go to more deserving franchises. Brawl is about having a diverse roster of Nintendo characters that fight each other, not tributes to other games.

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
FAIL. She doesn't need to be a character if she is a part of another, it's a waste of space that could go to more deserving franchises. Brawl is about having a diverse roster of Nintendo characters that fight each other, not tributes to other games.
Agreed. It would be redundant for her to return as a separate character. If she were, it would compromise the franchise's canon.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
b/c the character was made dull BECAUSE of shiek, according to her trophy zelda balances out shiek, in that both were nerfed, in reality only zelda was nerfed (shieks b moves were nerfed tho), and you need to look at mario's down b, which is completely different from his old down b, leading me to think they can change some b moves.

im guessing your answer is a number 2
I think we would have recieved some confirmation by this point about Zelda's B down move being changed if that was the case. From what we've seen, most people have kept their B attacks and some of them have had only minor changes like Link now using the Gale Boomerang and Yoshi's Egg Toss now being able to give him a slight "lift." Also, what would it be changed to anyways? The light arrow? Both Pit and Link already have arrow attacks and they're in the starting roster along with her. Also Mario's B down being changed made sense though because the Mario Tornado wasn't a attack that was ever really in the Mario games. Still, like I asked before, what would be the point of getting rid of a completely unique character for a single special move?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I think we would have recieved some confirmation by this point about Zelda's B down move being changed if that was the case. From what we've seen, most people have kept their B attacks and some of them have had only minor changes like Link now using the Gale Boomerang and Yoshi's Egg Toss now being able to give him a slight "lift." Also, what would it be changed to anyways? The light arrow? Both Pit and Link already have arrow attacks and they're in the starting roster along with her. Also Mario's B down being changed made sense though because the Mario Tornado wasn't a attack that was ever really in the Mario games. Still, like I asked before, what would be the point of getting rid of a completely unique character for a single special move?
What would be the point of making a separate character that is an alternate form of someone else, when you could give that spot to a more deserving character.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
Did you play Super Mario World by any chance?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Having Sheik as a seperate character would honestly piss me of more than her still being Zelda's transformation. My biggest issue with Sheik is that she's outdated, had a minor role in the game she was from and would probably take up a spot for another Zelda character.

The latter is the biggest issue in general, cause after Melee the Zelda franchise got introduced to a lot of fresh faces with all in my opinion bigger roles than Sheik. The best examples would be Midna, Tingle, the cel shaded version of Link and even Vaati.

Midna:

Was besides Link, the main character of Twilight Princess. Warning for those who haven't played TP yet, this will contain some spoilers! The game was basically called after Midna, her being the princess of the Twilight Realm and all. Through the game, Midna's personality is changing a lot, and she even does some fighting in cutscenes. As proven a lot of times by people who have a more creative brain / more time to spent on SWF Midna could easily have a very unique moveset solo or riding Link in wolf form. Besides, she's a character that would add some diversity in the cast in something the series in lacking in; magic users.

Tingle:

Even though most of you hate him, the guy's got his own freacking game! Never played it though, but it seems interesting. Tingle even has his SECOND DS game already in Japan, called Tingle's Balloon Fight which is basically a remake of Balloon Fight. This shows that Tingle is hugely popular in Japan apperantly. That, and he appeared in lots of Zelda games and he always seems to be exactly the same person so the Zelda canon wouldn't screw up with having Tingle. As for a moveset... well why not give him the moveset Balloon Fighter should originally get? Combine that with some few weak slap attacks, Rupee and Bomb throwing attacks and some comic relief and we have a perfect character! Could easly be the replacement for Pichu as the joke character. Unfortunatly, seeing as he's also a trophy his chances are very low.

Cel Shaded Link:

Link, but in a more cartoonish and younger version. Melee had Young Link, and Cel Shaded Link seems twice as popular and important to the franchise. Basically the best replacement for Young Link if you don't count Pit as one. This one if rather obvious; if they don't fully wanna replace Young Link they'll add this guy. He was also very popular on Sakurai's Poll apperantly.

Vaati

I honestly never completed a game with Vaati being the main villian but whatever... He's a wind mage, and can transform in a black monster thingy. Don't know much about him, but the fact that he appears as a main villian for more than once makes him imo far more deserving than Sheik.

Seriously, however I appear to be quite Anti-Sheik it would please me a lot more if Sheik was just Zelda's transformation instead of her getting her own slot. It at least would make a bit of sence, seeing as she's after all just a alter ego. >_>;

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Having Sheik as a seperate character would honestly piss me of more than her still being Zelda's transformation. My biggest issue with Sheik is that she's outdated, had a minor role in the game she was from and would probably take up a spot for another Zelda character.

The latter is the biggest issue in general, cause after Melee the Zelda franchise got introduced to a lot of fresh faces with all in my opinion bigger roles than Sheik. The best examples would be Midna, Tingle, the cel shaded version of Link and even Vaati.

Midna:

Was besides Link, the main character of Twilight Princess. Warning for those who haven't played TP yet, this will contain some spoilers! The game was basically called after Midna, her being the princess of the Twilight Realm and all. Through the game, Midna's personality is changing a lot, and she even does some fighting in cutscenes. As proven a lot of times by people who have a more creative brain / more time to spent on SWF Midna could easily have a very unique moveset solo or riding Link in wolf form. Besides, she's a character that would add some diversity in the cast in something the series in lacking in; magic users.

Tingle:

Even though most of you hate him, the guy's got his own freacking game! Never played it though, but it seems interesting. Tingle even has his SECOND DS game already in Japan, called Tingle's Balloon Fight which is basically a remake of Balloon Fight. This shows that Tingle is hugely popular in Japan apperantly. That, and he appeared in lots of Zelda games and he always seems to be exactly the same person so the Zelda canon wouldn't screw up with having Tingle. As for a moveset... well why not give him the moveset Balloon Fighter should originally get? Combine that with some few weak slap attacks, Rupee and Bomb throwing attacks and some comic relief and we have a perfect character! Could easly be the replacement for Pichu as the joke character. Unfortunatly, seeing as he's also a trophy his chances are very low.

Cel Shaded Link:

Link, but in a more cartoonish and younger version. Melee had Young Link, and Cel Shaded Link seems twice as popular and important to the franchise. Basically the best replacement for Young Link if you don't count Pit as one. This one if rather obvious; if they don't fully wanna replace Young Link they'll add this guy. He was also very popular on Sakurai's Poll apperantly.

Vaati

I honestly never completed a game with Vaati being the main villian but whatever... He's a wind mage, and can transform in a black monster thingy. Don't know much about him, but the fact that he appears as a main villian for more than once makes him imo far more deserving than Sheik.

Seriously, however I appear to be quite Anti-Sheik it would please me a lot more if Sheik was just Zelda's transformation instead of her getting her own slot. It at least would make a bit of sence, seeing as she's after all just a alter ego. >_>;
I don't want any of these guys neither. Stick with Link, Zelda, and Ganon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
^ Would be my ideal Zelda roster as well, just the 3 Triforce weilders but seeing as Zelda got 5 reps in Melee, we'll deffinatly get a Newcomer.

T-major

Smash Champion
She should stay part of Zelda, because thats who she is. the way I see it, Shiek being in Brawl isn't keeping Skiek, but keeping an aspect of Zelda that she normaly has. she could transform into Skiek in OoT, and she could tansform into Tetra in Wind Waker. being able to transform is a cannon ability of Zelda, and shouldn't be removed simply because she has a different design.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Midna:

Was besides Link, the main character of Twilight Princess.

I would have to say that she was THE main character of TP. The whole story revols around her with Link being a puppet for the most part.:p

But I agree with you, there are better and more important characters to the series than Sheik. Taking Sheik out would be like taking Ness out. . .simply replacing a old character with a more relavent character from the same series.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
^ Would be my ideal Zelda roster as well, just the 3 Triforce weilders but seeing as Zelda got 5 reps in Melee, we'll deffinatly get a Newcomer.
Notice that that is Melee and this is Brawl. Out of those 5, only 3 deserved to be in. The other 2 were just Link when he was young(unnecessary) and an alternate form of Zelda(also unnecessary) and I'd rather see a newcomer from an unrepresentated franchise like C. Olimar.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Sheik is fine... as part of Zelda. I don't think a completely separate character is needed.

All of these people say Minda should be in Brawl ala Sheik when I say I am not interested in Minda in Brawl... but Sheik was not her own character slot, nor do I support a separate one. Only Zelda reps I really want to see are Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, and a forth can be Sheik via Zelda's transform again. But... that probably won't be the case.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land

Midna:

Tingle:

Cel Shaded Link:

Vaati

Great post, These people Deserve it more than Sheik.

but...:
Cel Shaded Link

Basically the best replacement for Young Link if you don't count Pit as one.
Lol, what??? why do you think that??

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
numero dos por favor gracias...
number two please thank you...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Great post, These people Deserve it more than Sheik.

but...:

Lol, what??? why do you think that??
Cause reading from people's impresions from the demo, Pit plays a lot like Link and lacks a real finisher. That, and he's compared to Link a lot... But it's just something vague which you shouldn't really pay attention to. :p Btw, thanks.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did you play Super Mario World by any chance?
Yes but those two attacks are not exactly the same because it's a spinning jump, not a "tornado." In other words, in Super Mario World, Mario had to jump in order to do that attack but in Smash Bros, he can stand perfectly flat on the ground and do it. Also, the attack in Super Mario World doesn't suck enemies into it and only hurts those directly underneath Mario.

Metal Sonic said-What would be the point of making a separate character that is an alternate form of someone else, when you could give that spot to a more deserving character.

Fatmanonice sez-Guh? I never suggested that Shiek should be a completely seperate character...

Top Bottom