• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dare I say it? Are there techniques that we are glad or would be glad to see gone?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I totally agree. I don't want SSB to turn into a Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, where the person with the best memory and best finger speed wins. That is why I love Smash. It simplifies everything! Don't forget, sometimes the simplest games are the most fun. One of my favorite games Kirby's Air Ride uses a joystick and 1 button. I can play one handed!
So you enjoy easy games?

Im the opposite, I enjoy games that are really hard. Like the game breath of fire 5, which is an RPG where SAVING THE GAME requires a special token, a rare one theres only a few in the game.

Thats capcom for ya, the company that gave us ghosts and goblins, another one of my favorties.

So personally speaking, id prefer brawl be as complicated as possible, and require mastery both of techniques and strategy to win, just like melee. A game that takes years, and years of tournament attendence to master, not just one hand and a joystick, no offence to quoted poster :laugh:

XSilverX

Smash Cadet
im glad 2 see the cheap techniques that werent even supposed 2 be in melee arent gonna be there anymore =D now we can all be pros =D

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
im glad 2 see the cheap techniques that werent even supposed 2 be in melee arent gonna be there anymore =D now we can all be pros =D

Your logic is a little flawed, XSilverX ... EVERYONE had the potential to be a pro (pro meaning tourney-level player) at Melee. That just meant that you had to Wavedash, L-cancel, DI like crazy, etc. etc. and that took effort that many of us (myself included) didn't put into the game. I can only speak for myself, but I don't feel descriminated against as a Non-Wavedasher ... nobody forced me to limit my playing potential, I simply decided not to learn how to do it and with Brawl around the corner, I probably never will.

We have no idea what being a pro will look like for Brawl—will there be new AT's that will take months to master? Will it simply be memorizing move priority, reach, character timing etc.? If there are new AT's, will they be unfair to players ... I don't think so. If you want to master a technique like Wavedashing, great! If you don't want to master it, you can't say you lack that potential—it's your choice to practice or not.

We know what a Melee pro looks like now, we have no idea what a Brawl pro will look like. It's possible that they'll be extremely different—perhaps the removal of Wavedashing is a step in that direction—but once again, we simply do not know. I, for one, am eager to find out (February 10th!), but whatever the case may be, it should be fun and competitive. Whether that competition looks the same as it does now is up in the air, but what Sakurai says, goes ... and I'm willing to trust him ... I think he knows what he's doing.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The playing field will be even... for about two days tops... then pro players will emerge. Wavedashing being removed won't stop that.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for your sentiments, Micahc and NES n00b. I tend to read a lot of threads and post very little, but when I do post, I want to make it count. =P

This thread particularly caught my interest because it begs the question ...

will the hard-core Melee pro be content with Brawl?

Many current Melee pros have voiced their disapproval (to put it mildly) of the removal of Wavedashing and the idea of the removal of AT's in general. I can see where their displeasure is coming from, but as Gimpyfish has said, Brawl is Brawl and not Melee 2.0. It will have new tactics and new strategies. I'd like to think that a hard-core Brawl community will form that will be just as thrillilng and competitive as the current Melee community, but I want more than that ... I want characters to be more balanced so that a variety of characters make the tournament roster (read: leveling the playing field, aka tiers) and I get the feeling Sakurai wants that too.

---
On a side note, let's take a look at something we DO know about Brawl: you can now act after mid-air dodges! This opens up a whole new area of strategy to us! When an opposing player jumps out to spike us as we recover, do we try to fight back in midair? Do we try to dodge and slip under their edgeguarding? Depending on our height, do we air dodge multiple times?

A simple change to air dodging has opened up a new world of mindgames and strategy. Pros will use this to their advantage, noobs will not. Behold! An "advanced technique" ... or at least a good measure of skill that will set apart tournament-level players from your Average Knuckle Joe. I will no longer allow myself to be Samus Charge-shotted like a sitting duck as I try to recover, but I will dodge my way back and survive (assuming that I don't have some kind of reflector/counter/bucket goodness =P)!

Top Bottom