• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dance Dance Revolution discussion/accomplishments.

Emacee

Smash Ace
Is there anyone here that enjoys DDR? I figured if it worked for tails and CS I could rally up some DDR players out of the smasher crowd.

Currently, I have many Heavy AAs and above 30 Heavy/oni SDGs. I have max 300, sakura, and bag AA'd along with that. I have 20 oni courses cleared.

I post on DDRfreak.com as "Songy."

E

ExMachina

Well, I play DDR, but I can't say that I'm any good at it. I'm trying to get better though... I have DDR Konamix for PS1 and DDRMax for PS2, and I used to have 2 soft pads, but one died after excessive use. So, I'm down to one... Guess I won't get to try double for a while.

Hm, this thread makes me want to go play some... *goes off*

Emacee

Smash Ace
Yeah, I used to have two then one died and now the other is currently going kaput from repetitious plays of MAX300 on heavy.

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm okay at DDR but I'm no hardcore expert. On a good day I can do Standard lv7 and lv8 songs. But I average (B - AA, haven't gotten AAA yet!) about Standard lv4 and lv5. And Heavy mode? I'm not quite there yet. I only have one pad, I've had it for about a year and it's still holding up (I play around 4 hours of DDR a week). I own 2nd Mix (DC), Club Version (DC exclusive ;)), Konamix (PS1), Disney Mix (PS1), and DDRMAX (PS2) and only one pad per "syestem" (one DC pad and one PS pad). My top 3 fav songs are (1)Midnight Blaze (Standard), (2)Stomp to My Beat (Standard), and (3)Supercalifagilisticexpialidosious (Light/Basic). B40 (Light/Basic) and Dynamite Rave (Standard) are close runner ups.

MasterFoot

Smash Journeyman
I gues si beat Arrow to this topic, he is a more known DDR'r on these forums to my recent knowledge im slightly better then him but it is very possible has surpassed me ,but yes i do enjoy this game to an extreme, you should get Stepmania 3.9 alpha 3, it is an awsome DDR simulator, and it has many new options to mod your song and a fantastic step editor, Arrow will be here as soon as he sees the topic, but on to my DDR...
There was some other topics based on DDR but they went down with that crash from a little while ago, id start another DDR topic but meh im lazy. I love this game, iv'e gotton 4 or 5 other people who thought it was stupid to become fanatics at it. im on Heavy, and the only heavy songs i cant AA or max 300 Paranoia Survivor and max, maxx unlimited and legend, however i have AA Sakura before, good times.
and in my opinion(sp?) bag shouldn't be a 10 foot just causs its slow, speed it up and its only a solid 9, bu thats just one ddr players opinion. my AAA was basic Boom Boom Dollar 3 years ago, the first day i got the home version :bee: ive gotton alot of AAA's in my day, but not to many on heavy. Ill respond more often when Arrow makes it here

Emacee

Smash Ace
Full combos aren't my game. I want to work on beating every song first (only have the rest of the ten footers to beat) before I start challeneging myself even more. I have full comboed Super star, I like to Move it(my only AA on heavy), and www.blondegirl.com. The tenfooters I can beat are MAX300, Sakura (more like 8 or 9 feet), and BaG with speed mods. I do agree that BaG only tests your arrow reading abilities (which I'm good at :cool:).

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
"im on Heavy, and the only heavy songs i cant AA or max 300 Paranoia Survivor and max, maxx unlimited and legend, however i have AA Sakura before, good times."

I sincerely hope you're referring to StepMania, otherwise you're still very much ahead of me in skill, lol. I can AA most 9-footers, but there's atill quite a few I haven't like Burning Heat, So Deep, Cartoon Heroes, etc. and I can't AA Sakura either, though I've come very close. Can only AA bag if I use speed mods.

"and in my opinion(sp?) bag shouldn't be a 10 foot just causs its slow, speed it up and its only a solid 9, bu thats just one ddr players opinion."

Well, that is why it's a 10-footer. If you play it with speed mods, you kind of defeat the whole idea behind the song. I only do it with speed mods to practice the rhythms. When playing seriously, always gotta take it to 1.0 for slow insanity. I'm trying to gain the nick-name of "king of slow" at my arcade. I can AA all of the super-slow songs like Sana Morette Ne Ente and Orion.78... pretty much the only ones I can't AA are Secret Rendezvous (I HATE that song!) and bag. I can full combo the Road of Slow oni course until I hit bag. Farthest I've managed to get was about 3/4 through the song before I failed.

Thus far, I've passed about half of all the oni courses, hardest one being Love Revenge. FCing Exotic Ethnic takes a LOT of stamina. Lately I've been taking a bit of a break from DDR due to my work schedule and other games, but you can bet I'll be getting back into it once DDR MAX 2 comes out for PS2 this September. Also, the arcade I play at is going to modify the Extreme cabinet to add a computer inside so, get this, people can play Step Mania in the arcade! We'll be able to play any past DDR song we want, not to mention any of the countless player created songs. I can't wait to try NeoMax in the arcade (for those who have played the songs from DDRei's Tournamix 4).

PS: Hehe, it turned www.blondegirl into a link in your post. Wonder if that's actually a site. *clicks* Apparently not :p

MasterFoot

Smash Journeyman
Arrow how old are you? i know i saw ur bithrday not to long ago but i never did check. but anyway, last night my friend played stepmania endless mode on standered and i shadowed him for 2 hours and 46 seconds, well it was a little over but the timer stops at 2:00:46 i got 7 screens of the course, and 2 pictes of me afterwords, say if u want um. and arrow do you know a good non-lagg site to get Dwi's and such, i use mIRC causs i cant find any good fast sites, thakns in advance

EDIT: And nope arro wi wasnt talking about stepmania, but i do got a AAA on that and a picture :p ill give u some stepmania pics as well if u want.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Arrow how old are you?

and arrow do you know a good non-lagg site to get Dwi's and such

For DWIs of official songs, I got all mine from ddruk.com. For non-official, you can find a ton on bemanistyle.com.

Emacee

Smash Ace
Arrow, how old are you?

I actually like to ask how long people have been playing? I find it funny because some of the people at arcade who have played it for years tend to be a little "less-better" (They're good but not as good as me). One day I asked one of the fellow asian kids there how long he had been playing and he said, "Longer than you and your brother but you guys are better than us now." I thought it was funny. By the way, I've been playing since december and can A/AA heavy songs and can pass all but Paranoia Survivor Max.

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just curious... do the mad-crazy-awesome DDR skills transfer over to the REAL dance floor?

I bet Emacee made this topic solely to lure Arrow back.:p

I guess I'll also note that I suck at DDR... like Jenna Jameson sucky. Yep, that bad.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, um....

*YAY 1000TH POST!!!*
:):):):):):):)
:starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:

para trooper

BRoomer
BRoomer
WHOOOOOOPPPEEEEE

HUURRRRRRRAAAAAAAYYYYY

*throws streamers at crono

*throws chris at crono

*eats cake

oh..uh..DDR is a waste of money near me. its like 75c or a dollar.

Emacee

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Crono
Just curious... do the mad-crazy-awesome DDR skills transfer over to the REAL dance floor?

I bet Emacee made this topic solely to lure Arrow back.:p

I guess I'll also note that I suck at DDR... like Jenna Jameson sucky. Yep, that bad.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, um....

*YAY 1000TH POST!!!*
:):):):):):):)
:starman::starman::starman::starman::starman:
I really doubt being good at stepping on acrylic arrows makes you a betterdancer. But all the leg movement has made me a faster runner and bicycler.

SnorSnor

BRoomer
BRoomer
Since I just began DDR i can finally post in this topic knowing exactly (sortof ;)) what's going on.

Ah, I've been playing since a little after the beginning of June. I only have DDRMax for PS2 and don't go to the arcades much, although I did get to play a lot of the arcade version at the shore this weekend.

At home I can pass, I think, pretty much every 8 footer on every level, although 9s I bomb out. I beat my first heavy song (Holic) at the arcades yesterday with no problem :D The arcade and home pads seem to be so different than each other, that when I play at home, then arcades I keep missing the arrows, heh. Onis I still have not yet to beat, because I can't FC very well yet.

Right now the pads (soft) are still holding up pretty nicely, and I'm pretty happy with them even though they're not "official brand". I can't wait till MAX2 comes out. I hope it has some good Paranoia songs on it :D Captain Jack is a pretty fun song to step to, too.

BTW, how much do you guys pay for your machines? Mine's 75 cents, although at the shore most of them were $1.00.

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to contact my alien associates so they can
Heh, lots of pros here.

The longest I've played DDR was 2 weeks. I played in Puerto Rico where I saw the 2 best DDR players I have ever seen.
I'm all right myself, "nothing to see here" type of player. My cousin has the game on PS1 (KonamiX), but his Dance Pad's Down...uh Pad doesn't always work so I don't always get good grades.

Snorsnor, I pay 75 cents here. Although, I have seen 1 dollar ones and in Puerto Rico it was 50 cents (if I remember correctly). I was able to play Time Crisis for 50 cents as well (if anyone cared to know). Basically, a lot of stuff there is relatively cheap.

BA out..

Emacee

Smash Ace
Originally posted by SnorSnor
Since I just began DDR i can finally post in this topic knowing exactly (sortof ;)) what's going on.

Ah, I've been playing since a little after the beginning of June. I only have DDRMax for PS2 and don't go to the arcades much, although I did get to play a lot of the arcade version at the shore this weekend.

At home I can pass, I think, pretty much every 8 footer on every level, although 9s I bomb out. I beat my first heavy song (Holic) at the arcades yesterday with no problem :D The arcade and home pads seem to be so different than each other, that when I play at home, then arcades I keep missing the arrows, heh. Onis I still have not yet to beat, because I can't FC very well yet.

Right now the pads (soft) are still holding up pretty nicely, and I'm pretty happy with them even though they're not "official brand". I can't wait till MAX2 comes out. I hope it has some good Paranoia songs on it :D Captain Jack is a pretty fun song to step to, too.

BTW, how much do you guys pay for your machines? Mine's 75 cents, although at the shore most of them were $1.00.
9 footers do take a little practice but you'll get it soon enough.

The first heavy song I beat was "I like to move it."

Full comboing isn't too important so don't stress over it. Although it does feel good to get one. (I full comboed Super Star again today but no AA, ****.)

Captain Jack is your Daddy. I like that song too.

I pay a dollar for four songs(DDRMAX2) at the Maine Mall in South Portland, ME. It also a buck for four songs at old Orchard Beach, ME (DDRExtreme).

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been playing for about... 3 years I think. 3 and a half years maybe.

The first maniac (heavy) song I passed was Kick the Can back on 5th Mix.

First Cata (9-footer) was Dead End.

And my favorite song of all time is AM-3P. Jet World in DDR Extreme is a close second :)

Emacee

Smash Ace
heh, I full comboed kick The Can this morning. That song reminds of the BGM for "Lemmings."

smashattack

Smash Journeyman
Hey there.

Anybody play DDR in the Denver area? If so, some of us at DDRFreak would really like to meet up with you.

I recently passed Max 300 heavy for the first time, with a B. Have a ton of AA's at home, but that's at home, heh. Only one AA in the arcade, and that's Living in America heavy. Oh, well.

If anybody wants to meet up sometime, check out DDR Freak Southwest Board, really good place to hang out. Hope to see you there, DDR kicks ass.

Emacee

Smash Ace
All I have to say to say you, smashattack is that you should try to visit a single aracde more regularly and see if any of the better players are registered and ask of their names. Maybe you could a little community going.
;)

For the more competitive players out there. There is a score ranking site where you can compare your Heavy/Challenge song scores and Oni course scores with other people. www.teamgwailo.net/NNR

I've got a few scores there. Look for the name, "Yong."

oni_link

Smash Journeyman
i was thinkin about buying ddrmax pretty soon and i wanted to know if anyone can tell me if the soft pads work alright on carpet.

Emacee

Smash Ace
Most should come with stickers that allow it to stick to the floor. But it is much mroe worth it to modify your softpad. Instructions on how to here.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
i was thinkin about buying ddrmax pretty soon and i wanted to know if anyone can tell me if the soft pads work alright on carpet.
It's dependant on both the type of carpet and the type of pad. Generally, any type of soft pad will work on shorter, firmer carpet... though some pads may slide around depending on the texture on the bottom. The pad that you can get bundled with DDR MAX 2, for instance, has a texture that keeps it from sliding much, so my friend who has rather short, hard carpet at her house can use it just fine on the floor with no modifications. For me, the carpet in my house is a little "fluffier", so the pad sinks down a little too much when I step on it. But I'm able to place it on a board without even duct taping it down, and it doesn't slide or anything. So just experiment. In general, taping your soft pad down to a board of about the same dimensions (maybe slightly larger) as your pad will almost always work.

Why are asians so good at DDR?
Because you like to stereotype them.

Also, wouldn't it be easier just to stable the pa dto the board, without all the duct tap and cutting and that handle?
Stapling is a bit risky. First of all, you have to be absolutely certain that you don't staple where any of the wires are underneath. Secondly, even if you staple in safe areas, the pad will shift around when you play, which could cause the staples to tear through the pad. If you follow the directions on that site Emacee linked to, the pad won't be able to shift around. But really... I don't think all that work is neccessary. Just duct taping the edges of your pad to the board should almost always be enough.

Emacee

Smash Ace
Originally posted by INFESTD
Why are asians so good at DDR?

Also, wouldn't it be easier just to stable the pa dto the board, without all the duct tap and cutting and that handle?
Possibly the best DDR player in America, jsb, is caucasian. I would say that the same amount of caucasian and black people play DDR as much as Asians.

oni_link

Smash Journeyman
alright ive had the game for like 2 days now and i did modify my pads with particle board and vinyl and the work like a charm. right now i can finish most of the light mode songs and a few of the standard ones. i know that doesnt even compare with most of you guys but i think im pretty good for a noob.

Emacee

Smash Ace
If you want to get really good before you're playing heavy. Work on getting perfects as much as possible. When I was beginning I just focused on beating songs and never paying attention to my perfect attack/great attack. Because of that, it is only now that I'm starting to get heavy AAs.

I have started playing doubles mode in DDR (the use of boths sides of the floor pad to play) and can beat Be in my Paradise on 2x, So Deep, and Janejana on heavy as my hardest songs.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Hi! I play DDR as well!!

I'm quite fortunate, as the machine I play on, takes three tokens, and you get 5 tokens for a dollar. Kinda cheap! but I only get three songs :(.

I play third mix, and second, and I've SSed (would that be an AA in the new system?) all the paranoias. Right now I'm working on Dead End SSR mode. Sorry if I'm not up to date on the new fangled lingo :S. *cries* almost got dead end tonight, though. Some guy came up and said "you're really good!" so I was like, "BOOM BOOM DOLLAR!" and held out my hat. I dont' think he knew what I was saying :D:D:D.

I've been playing since May, yay!

kupo

Smash Lord
3rd mix was awesome because 2nd mix was included (I was disappointed that "stomp to my beat" was excluded).

I recently got back into DDR, and I was inspired by a friend who performed her dance routine. Lately, I've been practicing my dance routine for "Stomp to my beat" and "Drop the bomb". I'm a little bit stuck with the second song. Probably need to clear out a few moves ;p.
Can anyone offer songs suitable for dance routines? Also, are there like certain tricks/movements to avoid while performing (especially in tournaments)?

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Easy songs to freestyle? Just look for songs with simple steps that flow naturally, and/or are easy to remember (since you likely won't be facing the screen the whole time). Some of my favorites are AM-3P, Let's Groove, Mobo Moga, and Super Star. But really, any song that you're familiar enough with to do mostly from memory will probably work. Also, remember that when freestyling, it's ok to do songs on easier difficulties, so be sure to experiment with various songs to try to find ones with fun step patterns. And if you're feeling extra adventurous, there's always doubles mode...

Moves to avoid? Well, first and foremost, avoid moves that could result in you being injured unless you're really really good at them. Doing a back flip in the middle of a song might be cool, but not if you land on your head ;) Also, never... NEVER Matrix walk on the machine. That's probably the single most frowned upon move in DDR society. If you aren't familiar with what Matrix walking is, it's when you hold onto the bar with one hand, and then kick your feet up against the screen, and walk across. It might look cool, but first of all, it's been way over done. And secondly, and more importantly, it can permanently damage the machine, so don't do it unless you're willing to pay for possible repairs. A few other moves you may want to avoid: slapping panels with your hands, or doing knee drops on the pad. They're ok moves in moderation, but they're fairly simple, and therefore overdone. You can do them, just make sure you have something more substantial in your routine. Spins are also a bit overdone, so make sure to at least add a little style to any spins you make.

Generally, the best routines (at least in this DDR freak's opinion) are ones that incorporate real dance moves into them. Basically, coreagraphing a full dance routine to the music, and managing to hit most of the arrows while you're at it. What impresses me most is when a freestyler faces the audience during the entire (or almost entire) song, but I don't expect everyone to be able to do that. If you have the dedication, though, I can guarantee it would win you major bonus points with the judges.

Emacee

Smash Ace
I feel sorry for you teflon. Try to get your arcade to buy a 7th or 8th mix. It is much much better than the fossilized 3rd mix.

By the way Arrow, I finally have beaten the Love RevenG oni course. :cool: (4106 dp)

As for freestyling, I have a little skipping motion that I'm using as base for Sexy Planet (From nonstop megamix).

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Hey... don't diss 3rd edition :) it rocks!

I just picked up DDRmax2 for my PS2. got my pad taped to the floor -- our carpet feels like cement in th' basement, so it works! I just feel so... fragile. I feel like I can't dramatically shift like I can in the arcade, it makes me cry :(.

But... Burning Heat has to be one of my favorite songs off of that. I'm just sad that Boom Boom Dollar isn't in MAX2. :(

And I talked to the arcade guys today about it. they were watching me like they usually do :) and the screen flickered a couple times really old machine-esque. So I might get a new one!

The saddest part of my disposition, is that there's a "kid's quest" right next to the arcade. And they have DDRExtreme in there. you have no idea what lame attempts I've made to get in there ;). One time my friend was my "father" and I was a big 12 year old. but I"m 5'11, so I wasn't able to convince them :). you need to be 12 to get in. They won't let me pay them to let me in, either. ****ed stupid heads.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Arrow, reading your posts makes me feel like I'm really horrible at DDR. And I guess that's true because I can only do about 2 songs on Normal. :bee:

I got the game back in early August but I only played it for about 2 weeks and now I really never play it... I haven't since well, August.

I got my asian friend totally into it and I hate myself for it. All he talks about is DDR now. It's really annoying.

Emacee

Smash Ace
I have actually played on a 3rd mix (not edition) and I didn't like it because:

1. You need to enter a code to play on Heavy ( a.k.a. Maniac).
2.It runs at around 30 fps.
3. The machine I played had the song selection time set to 20 seconds.
4. There weren't enough songs.

Burning Heat is one leet song. But it is hard to full combo.

CSHD, at the most, it will be around 3 months or so before you can play on heavy. It was around 2 months of constant, addictive play for me to get there. Try not to be self-concious around better players because you don't need to prove anything and a lot of better players can usually tell how good you are on a difficulty after watching you play.

E

ExMachina

Saw some guys playing Max Period at DDR Club today... Whoa, that's scary. O.o

Emacee

Smash Ace
I've given MAX. period many tries on Stepmania and still can't get past the part where the arrows move at 600 bpm.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't like Max. (period) at all. It's not a very good remix of the song, and the 600 bpm part is just stupid. You pretty much would have to have the song memorized for like the last third of it to even stand a chance at passing it. They should have used NeoMax! :mad:

So have you heard the latest about the US version of DDR Extreme? Only four songs confirmed so far, and no mention if online play will be included for the PS2 now... but we do know that Oni mode is back (thank goodness!), there will be a bunch of new US exclusive songs with music videos (much like in MAX2), and there's going to be an all new "Mission Mode". There's been much speculation as to what this is. Many believe it will give you requirements you must meet in order to pass a song, and perhaps you will earn points to unlock new songs through this mode rather than by just playing songs over and over. Konami's website said the game will have over 100 minutes of music (65-70 songs) while IGN made the cruel typo 200 minutes.

My thoughts so far are to not expect this mix to be as great as the arcade mix of Extreme. Much like MAXUS and MAX2US, I doubt it will have that many songs corresponding with the arcade version. Especially not a lot of the ones from other Bemani like IIDX and GF/DM. I just hope it doesn't have as many repeats as the last couple home versions did. So overall, I'm expecting this mix to be a lot like MAX2US, which is fine. Hopefully the Mission Mode will add a lot of fun replay value to the game (I can just see objectives like "Pass The Legend of MAX on Heavy with less than 1 good". :crazy:

Emacee

Smash Ace
It will probably just have lame objectives like, "Get a 200 combo" or something. Hopefully the past two MAX songs may make a return. The same goes for songs by RevenG. MAX2 just gave us tsugaru and that's a joint between RevenG and Desire. I want some Matsuri Japan From nonstop megamix, tsugaru apple mix, and most of all, bag.

SakuraPichu

Smash Ace
DDR is fun!!!!!
i have a friend that uses it for exercise as well as fun time. i used to be ably to play on trick mode and a couple on maniac, but i haven't played it in so long that i can barely play basic. Bad Bad. DDR, from experience, can also be violent. i was watching one of my friends play at Vans skating rink one time and he pushed this kid to the ground because he was getting too close and distacting him aon something on maniac.

Top Bottom