• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dacula, GA Play N Trade Brawl Tournament*UPDATED again* AUGUST 9TH

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
OKAY. Tournament is this saturday at Dacula play n trade. I need a list of whose going.

So far we have

My friends:

Me
Michael
Alex
Frazier
Ken
Will
Lance
Evante(sp)
Tommy
Chelsea
Michael
His friend(s)
Fullmetal
Desu
PB&J

Others:
biglou

I'm pretty positive those people are all going. I know others have SAID they would go, but I need to know if your 99.9% sure. If anyone else is going please let me know. Also if you guys want to bring a T.V and a set up for whatever other game you guys want to play(melee,guilty gear), then bring it.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
I can bring a setup for brawl + my PS2 and Guilty Gear, if you can waive my door fee.
I've got $20 to my name, so I'd really appreciate it... :p

kirby_jim

Smash Cadet
i'll probly be there! though it depends on how much work i can get done during the day on saturday... anyways i'll call shamus and we'll come rock teams or something

but is the tournament really gonna happen between 8 and 12:30? maybe i read it wrong and maybe it was discussed at some point earlier but that seems a bit short... aaaanyways somebody has to go there and show tim how to win in guilty gear ^_^

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
i'll probly be there! though it depends on how much work i can get done during the day on saturday... anyways i'll call shamus and we'll come rock teams or something

but is the tournament really gonna happen between 8 and 12:30? maybe i read it wrong and maybe it was discussed at some point earlier but that seems a bit short... aaaanyways somebody has to go there and show tim how to win in guilty gear ^_^
haha sweet man. I don't know how late it will go. Depends on how many people go. So far we're at like 15 if you guys go.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
where's the cp stage list?

i'll show up for melee friendlies

Oh, if I bring a wii + everything unlocked + a ggear set up, does that give me any benefits?
ie free store entry <_<

Also, what the hell, gambling? it's a tournament. I might agree that it's gambling since you guys are playing barlw, but seriously. If this is considered gambling, then any competition in general is considered gambling.

"Rock Paper Scissors for a dollar? I need a parental consent form before I can agree to you on that."

:/ that's just a little ridiculous. Parental consent should not be mandatory for any video game that isn't m-rated.

Daysoo

Smash Ace

Oh, if I bring a wii + everything unlocked + a ggear set up, does that give me any benefits?
ie free store entry <_<

Also, what the hell, gambling? it's a tournament. I might agree that it's gambling since you guys are playing barlw, but seriously. If this is considered gambling, then any competition in general is considered gambling.

"Rock Paper Scissors for a dollar? I need a parental consent form before I can agree to you on that."

:/ that's just a little ridiculous. Parental consent should not be mandatory for any video game that isn't m-rated.
There is no counterpick list. Stages are neutrals only (minus Stadium 1 for some reason).
And no, bringing all your stuff does NOT get you free entry apparently.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
O and if u need another wii ill bring mine
Yes please! The more set ups we can get the more matches we can get in at a time, which means the tournament will go by faster.

ie free store entry <_<

Legally, it is gambling. Think of a worst case scenario that could happen to the owner of the store and he loses his business and gets penalties for promoting under age gambling, just so he can run a competitive brawl tournament for kids, who are not profiting him at all. Big price to pay for zero profit.

Anyways, no one has to bring a wii or a cube or a tv. You can't get a free entry because then if everyone gets free entry for bringing a set up, the owner wouldn't make any money. Thus resulting in not wanting to host a tournament anymore. We need at least 5 T.Vs for the tournament. We have 3 for friendlies already in the store. They are a bit laggy and that is why they are for friendlies. So we are starting out with ZERO t.vs and ZERO set ups. I'm going to bring a set up, my friend michael, Will, maybe tommy, maybe Mike, and I'll ask evan because I know he has at least one small one. If you want to play melee, then bring a T.v. if you have a small one that isnt a hassle to carry. My Wii doesn't have random stages and I don't think it has all of the stages, so if anyone can transfer their data to mine, that would be cool.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Yes please! The more set ups we can get the more matches we can get in at a time, which means the tournament will go by faster.

Legally, it is gambling. Think of a worst case scenario that could happen to the owner of the store and he loses his business and gets penalties for promoting under age gambling, just so he can run a competitive brawl tournament for kids, who are not profiting him at all. Big price to pay for zero profit.

Anyways, no one has to bring a wii or a cube or a tv. You can't get a free entry because then if everyone gets free entry for bringing a set up, the owner wouldn't make any money. Thus resulting in not wanting to host a tournament anymore. We need at least 5 T.Vs for the tournament. We have 3 for friendlies already in the store. They are a bit laggy and that is why they are for friendlies. So we are starting out with ZERO t.vs and ZERO set ups. I'm going to bring a set up, my friend michael, Will, maybe tommy, maybe Mike, and I'll ask evan because I know he has at least one small one. If you want to play melee, then bring a T.v. if you have a small one that isnt a hassle to carry. My Wii doesn't have random stages and I don't think it has all of the stages, so if anyone can transfer their data to mine, that would be cool.
evan is out of town

you cannot transfer game data between wii's. Its dumb.

I'll bring my wii, but I doubt i'll enter.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
evan is out of town

you cannot transfer game data between wii's. Its dumb.

I'll bring my wii, but I doubt i'll enter.
You don't have to. I really don't care if no one enters. I just want this guy to have a decent turn out and enough money to pay what its going to cost him to host it. He wants to make enough money to pay his employees and that will be from door entry fees.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Quick question; prizes are cash, right? Not store credit? My Birmingham quest was a bust, but I might be able to go to this. Anyone know?

kirby_jim

Smash Cadet
alright, i'm done with all the stupid advertising stuff i needed to do, so i'll be there tonight... i can bring a wii but no tv

shamus says hes comin but he'll be late cause he dosnt get back from florida until like, 7:30 tonight

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
alright, i'm done with all the stupid advertising stuff i needed to do, so i'll be there tonight... i can bring a wii but no tv

shamus says hes comin but he'll be late cause he dosnt get back from florida until like, 7:30 tonight
Sweet man. A wii will help. Thanks

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I hate to use skill and barlw together, but
#

Dominant Factor Test Applied: "Chance" is one of the elements generally required to be present in order for a game to violate a state anti-gambling statute. Most states have concluded that where the elements of skill, whatever they may be, predominate over the elements of chance, whatever they may be, in determining outcome, then the "chance" element is lacking and the game involved does not violate that state's anti-gambling law. This question considers whether the state applies this "dominant factor," or predominance, test.
#

it's not gambling. i'm soooo tempted to argue chance, but really. When skill overrides chance by a good margin, it's not considered gambling by the state.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Law-Summary/

GA permits the dominant factor.

lol, tourneys are illegal in FL <_<

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I hate to use skill and barlw together, but
#

Dominant Factor Test Applied: "Chance" is one of the elements generally required to be present in order for a game to violate a state anti-gambling statute. Most states have concluded that where the elements of skill, whatever they may be, predominate over the elements of chance, whatever they may be, in determining outcome, then the "chance" element is lacking and the game involved does not violate that state's anti-gambling law. This question considers whether the state applies this "dominant factor," or predominance, test.
#

it's not gambling. i'm soooo tempted to argue chance, but really. When skill overrides chance by a good margin, it's not considered gambling by the state.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Law-Summary/

GA permits the dominant factor.

lol, tourneys are illegal in FL <_<
Thanks for researching and thanks for coming :]

THANKS to everyone else who did. The turn out was MUCH MUCH better than I expected and it was MUCH more fun than I expected.

Luinous? I forgot your name >.< PROPS to you man. You beasted with luigi(and me with snake) and definitely showed your one of the best in GA. Keep coming to tournies man. We need to play on a weekly basis if your not too far from me. Appreciate you coming out.

Thanks to the people at play n trade that gave us a place to play and ran it EXCELLENTLY imo. Never been to a tournament that was on top of their **** as this one.

For the next time, if there is one I think the owner wants it to be 10 dollar door fee. An extra 5 bucks so that they profit from it or AT LEAST break even. Worth it IMO. problem.

Neutral stages for competitive play? COMPLETELY fair and for the most part the people loved it. I loved it, XIF loved it and my friends loved it. It allows the most skilled(I know theres not much of it) player to win. So we are going to keep it that way and hopefully other states in the south will do the same.

uhh what else. Melee? I know GA loves melee and I love it too, even though I suck at it. I would love to host melee tournies here and as long as theres profit or even break on the owners end, I'm sure they wouldn't mind it. The thing with melee is...I don't think its very popular. Not very big show ups at the recent tournies. I was thinking, if we can get pre/ non refundable entry fees to play n trade, then it would be more of a promise on both sides. That is completely up to the melee people though. The only way it would be refundable is if there isnt a certain amount of people signed up? Melee people would have to help me with that. If you can promise a 30+ turn out with 10 dollar entree, then it shouldnt be much of a problem.

Can't really think of anything else to say. Thanks a lot for coming :]

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Desu am lazy, shoutout for dentedglass:

You know what you're doing. You've got a nice Luigi, and your Snake knows some tricksies too.
Though I can't help but ask...
Sheik? Really? :p

-edit-
To Chris: I warned you about the rules man.
You've got to post them in advance, in as much detail as possible, so you can call them as reference if this kind of thing happens again. You won't always have people around to clarify for you, so do your research and post your rules in full. <3
Oh, and as for Lylat being neutral over Stadium 1, fuck that shit. >:|
Bitching aside, the tournament went really smoothly. Decent turnout, nice venue, good staff.
Looking forward to the next one. ;P

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Aprreciate it yall it was definitly a fun experience.
-Desu-ur D3 is too good!!!knfsdkjfnasdk. haha great matches man (although u 3-0d me xD) and i picked sheik cuz ftilt lock works well on D3(although u were too good at reading me so i couldnt really do it xD)
-Noir- yea great games to u too that last loser finals match was just too intense. Uve got a great meta and diddy. Keep up the good work. Also id totally be down for playing on a weekly basis (i dont live too far and would be willin to make the trip).

Also my name is Lounis not luminous xD. (although that does sound pretty cool)

Daysoo

Smash Ace
-Desu-ur D3 is too good!!!knfsdkjfnasdk. haha great matches man (although u 3-0d me xD) and i picked sheik cuz ftilt lock works well on D3(although u were too good at reading me so i couldnt really do it xD)
-Noir- yea great games to u too that last loser finals match was just too intense. Uve got a great meta and diddy. Keep up the good work. Also id totally be down for playing on a weekly basis (i dont live too far and would be willin to make the trip).

For future reference, it's not really a lock. You can get out of it by DIing toward Sheik, and then jumping. It'll footstool her and stop the tilts so you can escape.
I don't mean to be condescending or anything, I just don't want you dropping any more games on bad info. ;P

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace

lol sorry I was drunk and tired hahaha. Well my friends and I live in Grayson. I don't know how far you are from there, but we play usually a few times a week. PM you're cell phone or something and I'll just give you a call.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
O really? Well i suppose shiek was a horible choice then lol. Well u learn sumthin new everyday. Its cool though i didnt really mind losin i still had a great time. O and noir ill pm u later on my number and stuff so we can play sum weekly or sumthin.

Top Bottom