• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-Grab followups

Zacke

Smash Cadet
Well, I don't know if this thread is appreciated, but I will try anyway >__<

I have noticed how fair can sometimes be hard to score, when people airdodge, so what can you do then? Just run forward, and pivot-grab them from the other side. However, to do this, you have to be fast. And the only way you could do it is to know what they will do.
If you do the d-grab, watch the opponent. Does he jump? Does he airdodge? Does he attack?

If he airdodges = Run forward and pivot grab (u-smash will probably work too, don't know).
If he jumps = Jump and **** him with fair
If he attacks = Don't know. Haven't played against someone who attacks. Tips?

All these stuff is at low (although not too low) %.

I have been trying this out and it's really good. I hated when my fairs always missed, so now I pivot-grab instead.

People usually always do the same thing (If one person jumps, he will probably jump everytime you do the d-grab), so it's pretty sweet.

Just wanted to share this with me. If someone knows what to do with attackers, please help ^^

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
I've played against tons of people who attack, especially those with very annoying Dairs that screw up the following Usmash or Fair... :mad:

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Another option is to F-Smash them immediately after a D-Throw, and then grab again. Only works on low percentages though. Mr. X does that quite a lot, and it's quite effective.

asob4

Smash Champion
that's mr. x's favorite combo, he told me lol
it works very well. it's even better when you have a white 3rd in line. the low knockback from the white dthrow can lead into a fair and possibly another grab > up smash
it's a VERY good combo

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
it works very well. it's even better when you have a white 3rd in line. the low knockback from the white dthrow can lead into a fair and possibly another grab > up smash
it's a VERY good combo
at low percents the white has the same knockback as all pikmin but purple - however, what you said is exactly true - this is best with a white - do a quick jab after the regrab for a free 3-4% damage.

keeper

Smash Champion
From a Dthrow you can:
Jump and fair
Jump and Uair
Jump and Nair
Pikmin Chain
Running Usmash
Fsmash
Dash attack
On some heavy characters you can Utilt, though I think Fsmash is more worth it.
Dtilt?

Zacke

Smash Cadet
All those "combos" are for low percents :p
I was more thinking at middle (30% - 70%), where I used to think that Olimar was useless, because you can't combo.

Rocann

Smash Lord
I'm not the only one that finds that hilarious, yeah?

<I had said something here, but I've been sitting here thinking about it and I'm not sure how I want to phrase it, I'll edit this when I figure it out. Basically dash attack is probably my favorite option out of dthrow when fair is not a possibility because it can chain into more stuff and you can mix it up way more than you can with an fsmash which usually ends the combo right there. I'd rather keep the opponent relatively close to me and a little stunned>

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I'm not the only one that finds that hilarious, yeah?

<I had said something here, but I've been sitting here thinking about it and I'm not sure how I want to phrase it, I'll edit this when I figure it out. Basically dash attack is probably my favorite option out of dthrow when fair is not a possibility because it can chain into more stuff and you can mix it up way more than you can with an fsmash which usually ends the combo right there. I'd rather keep the opponent relatively close to me and a little stunned>
the reason fsmash is a good choice there is two fold - 1) if your opponent dodges, the fsmash will last through the dodge 2) at low percents the fsmash will make them go NOWHERE which is really good at low percents :D

asob4

Smash Champion
All those "combos" are for low percents :p
I was more thinking at middle (30% - 70%), where I used to think that Olimar was useless, because you can't combo.
at that point, dthrow > upb works better than usual if you time their air dodge
WoP is always nice and unsuspecting
bthrow(not blue or purple) > spike
up air > up air > upb works in those percents. best with a mix of yellows and reds. sometimes white but less damage from that

Zacke

Smash Cadet
at that point, dthrow > upb works better than usual if you time their air dodge
WoP is always nice and unsuspecting
bthrow(not blue or purple) > spike
up air > up air > upb works in those percents. best with a mix of yellows and reds. sometimes white but less damage from that
Or throwing all your pikmin randomly, lol.
D-throw > Dair is really hard. The opponent often just end up over Olimar, so spiking would be really hard O_o

And I must ask... What is WoP? I have heard something called "Wall of Pain", but I don't know what it is. How do you do it?

Fino

Smash Master
After playing StLth for awhile (who is an air-dodging *****), I've discovered that the way to keep the dthrow fair combo going is to nair after a fair. So far, I have not come across someone who has escaped this, so idk... maybe it's just the lack of skill of the people I play, but I highly doubt it. Basically the stringed combo goes like this: dthrow SH fair nair dthrow SH fair nair, and so on. Basically I would only Nair after the Fair if your opponent typically air dodges after your throw ( thus dodging the fair), or in other words, if they dodge your fair, a nair will allow you to keep the combo going.

~Fino

asob4

Smash Champion
i said bthrow to spike >_>

WoP = wall of pain
basically you attack them constantly off to the side off the stage. jiggz is a master at it, but i've been able to WoP with oli's fairs rather easily, since it's much like marth's

shanus

Smash Hero
asob dont forget WoP bairs, oli's bair has sexy range for WoPs, and can be linked rather nicely.

asob4

Smash Champion
yeah, that's a given lol

call me skank >_> asob is just a name for the forums, my tag is skank

Rocann

Smash Lord
the reason fsmash is a good choice there is two fold - 1) if your opponent dodges, the fsmash will last through the dodge 2) at low percents the fsmash will make them go NOWHERE which is really good at low percents :D
true about the dodge but so will the dash attack, and that's why I said 'when fair is not an option' for the low damage part... when the fsmash will make them go nowhere the fair is probably possible. I don't never use the fsmash I just prefer to keep combos going longer, opens up more possibilities lategame

asob4

Smash Champion
well at that point you go
dthrow > fsmash > dthrow > fair > anything after that is pure goodness. if i can i usually go dthrow > up smash to end it. or skip the dthrow part

Rocann

Smash Lord
well at that point you go
dthrow > fsmash > dthrow > fair > anything after that is pure goodness. if i can i usually go dthrow > up smash to end it. or skip the dthrow part
that's my point, I'm talking about when fsmash will end the combo due to medium %. and of course you can skip the dthrow part but this is a dthrow followup thread

asob4

Smash Champion
i meant skip it at the end to finish with up smash
well it's only good at low percents, like most of oli's combo's

Puddin

Smash Lord
Well as many of you may know certain characters can be Chain Grabbed by Olimars Dthrow at low percents, including the Space Furries so when I face these characters I found out you can use a Dthrow and you have two choices, chain grab, or use Olimars neutral attack to hit them immediately after the Dthrow with your antenna which is just a fun thing to do.

Top Bottom