• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cyphus's Quick DK Advanced Play List

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um…yo. Let’s begin.
Quick list of Combos, Tricks, and Obvious, yet Neglected Tools
I’m not so much listing every use for every move, as I’m talking about universal applications for them. I’m considering writing a complete guide (like I did for Dr.Mario [http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=55939]…so this is my guinea pig for now)

SH Offenses
SH double b.air...usually to f.tilt or d.smash–attempt an UpTilt after
SH over projectiles into D.air is surprisingly good. He makes great distance and balls up before impact so he sneaks above many things well(make sure you hit them on your way behind) sometimes they’ll roll into your d.smash afterward. Of if you knock them up, go for a couple UpTilts.

Grabs
D.throw to f.tilt to bully opponent to edge. On rare occasions, d.throw to walk-regrab.
Cargo-jump-f.throw-DJ forward-upair (works best at low damages)
Cargo by edge, walk off, backthrow, delayed DJ = footstool spike to guarantee any character is dead. (due to mash-out-able-ness 70+% is reccomended)
Otherwise B.throw is your best friend for setting up edgeguard.

Spacing
f.tilts, b.airs, rare downBs and f.smashes (just to mix things up)
…even if they have a projectile, you can play defensive if you’re right outside they’re range-f.tilt cancels out most projectiles too. It puts a lot of pressure on them to make mistakes for any of the other options listed here.
F.tilt encourages them to play right outside range = DownB time. You can't realistically combo after DownB, sorry. But its still useful occasionally.

Jab, Jab
if someone gets in your face while you're lagging from another move, Jab soon as possible.
Jab, Jab to dash attack...or SH upair surprisingly works. Also, people tend to airdodge after to avoid pursuit...start D.tilting instead- to punish.
Whenever you make a mistake, and they evade towards you…Jab is your best option to knock them off you before you get punished.

F.Tilt
After a f.tilt at low damage, your best followup is usually d.tilts because it’s his fastest reaching move. If they trip, don’t bother trying to Forward B them…they’ll roll, dummy! I usually just f.tilt or dash attack. Anytime its safe to F.tilt, you probably should. It can be angled up catch people in their SH too.

D.Tilt
Its not the best lead-in move, and I cover it more in other sections as needed. If someone gets in a corner, you can D.tilt spam them for a long time.

UpTilt
If you can settup into it, go for 2...then wait. They'll airdodge to the ground, then grab them, hehe. (you really can't combo more than 2...rarely 3). if you pop them high enough for for an UpAir, and take it from there.

ForwardB
If they’re at low damage when it connects, all they have to do is press like 2 buttons and they’re out. Jab, Jab setup works or just d.smash. At mid damage…Smash or B them and go edgeguard. At high damage...well...they're dead. With all due respect, a charged B is your smartest option, obviously, if you have it available. Elsehow...

Another option at mid-damage is to dash-charge an upSmash right next to them...if you can predict/estimate when they'll pop out. Its not worth doing on most characters, but taller ones can still be hit by it even while they're grounded, like Rob, Ike, etc. (so its better to release 'too early' than 'too late'). This trick shouldn't be used on short/light characters as they recover out extremely fast, and are very hard to catch.

Against Snake, specifically however...Headbutt to UpSmash is brutal, since he leaves the ground the slowest and lowest, becoming an easy target to release the UpSmash once he's right above your head. It is a legit combo, that is easy to learn the timing and can warrant a KO under 90% potentially.

Giant Punch setups.
After an intentionally missed F.smash (they run up to punish you only to hit super armor)
After hanging on the edge...let go-jump above ledge while unleashing.
After intentionally cutting a juggle short and waiting for them to come down with an attack to giant punch right through.
Eh..outside that you just gotta predict it. I don’t like waiting to “combo” into it. This game is more about prediction and punishment =]

UpB
His best move. Has tons of applications that each require their own mastery.
Out of shield. Most useful if you’re back is turned when you can’t shield grab. Can chunk up 30% often. If animation ends with you're oponent in your face, wake up with Jabs.

Used as an anti-air when someone is approaching from above: time the invincibility frames to null out hit and retaliate.
Running UpB. Can pass through people while eating shield and surprise d.smash right after. Sidestep whores learn fast too.

Avoiding edgeguard. Let go of edge, and immediately DJ and UpB to regrab. Doing that a couple times, usually scares people off a lil bit. Sloped edges you can DJ Up-land-to-spin back to center of stage or on stages like battlefield to land on platforms. There’s a vid out somewhere showing this perfectly.
UpB as a surprise edgeguard works great if you run off the level but position yourself slightly under them..then DJ to UpB back to the edge.

Edgeguarding.
Typtically you’d go for B.airs (starting from on the level itself to off the stage), but some characters are still b.air-able while they’re recovering-like marth and snake, others are situational-like ROB or Ness, and some just seem impossible- like pit or pika.
If you don’t have time to turn around b.air, running off the level into a falling Sex kick (sometimes f.air) is the next best thing. Or if someone is recoverying from above, a full jump F.air, is probably the only safe time to f.air (outside platform chasing), but its still easy to evade.

Recovery
If you’re the one being edgeguarded, Forward B is amazing! Characters anticipate intercepting your DJ with f.airs or sexes…but then move right into your ForwardB and get KOed are low damage with you having saved you’re DJ and UpB. It stalls you in air enough to just keep you’re opponent guessing too. Its almost impossible to edgehog against DK’s UpB…I don’t even know why people bother trying.

UpAir
Too good. When you’re below- spam it. Quick DJ to upair if they're high, if they airdodge…fastfall and hit them with one after invincibility wakeup. They cannot escape it. If they DI away horizontally...run like you’re going jump UpAir...but just glide-charge-UpSmash for half a second underneath. Watch them airdodge right into it. Goodbye at 90%. Dash UpSmash is too good-especially under platforms.

Smashing
Technically, I suppose his D.smash is his best KO move...but I tend to use it in combos and quick punishes often. Either way…even if its weakened...it can still KO at 110% which isn’t too shabby.
I probably get most my KOs from F.Smash though, taking a baby step back before releasing it on oponents as they try to approach, and UpSmash- dashing under someone.

My Short Matchup Rant
I’d say his hardest matchups would be: DDD, Pit, Diddy, Falco, ROB, Yoshi, Meta.
Characters that are Hard to Approach give him the biggest problem. And I'm sure there's more than that...

Falco and DDD can simply projectile spam and chainthrow him to hell.
Pit and ROB: camping, camping camping. u finally get close...outpriorized and start all over.
Diddy...may be harder to explain, but between his bananas and attack speed, he never leaves himself open while he dancing all around you
Yoshi. most people won't understand this, because they haven't fought a good Yoshi. Yoshi's eggs are ridiculous easy to camp up DK. Defensively, his Pivot-Grab ***** as his anti-approach against DK. very similiar counter-style, like Pit.
Meta is just too good. nobody beats this *****.

He can hold his own quite well against ‘most’ others I think though. For the rest it just depends on how well your play. Pika and Fox may end up racking 100% on you flawlessly...but then u might get in a couple predictions and KO them at 80%. Brawl is funny like that.

DK still has the same problem as before. Size. he gets comboed the crap out of (now that people now how to combo in this game). Anyone with a fast uptilt can keep him above a good while...then keep pressure after you finally airdodge diagonally to the ground.
He’s a ridiculous target for projectile spam. So many characters can get you frustrated. And worst of all, chainthrows. You should seldom win against a falco/ddd who knows what they’re doing. So pick up a 2ndary. Its brawl, son…its not hard to learn a new character, hehe. But I’d say DK is mid tier. He does good against some characters….about even with most, and not so good against a few.

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
Good **** yo, I like this a lot. I've used basically everything you said, though I have to learn upb off the edge to platform cancel. That's too good. Also, one followup for the jab combo at low percents is the dtilt, as many people try to airdodge to the ground ASAP, making dtilt amazing. Using sparingly though. Overall, nice job, that's about as good of a guide as you can make for dk for advanced play. Don't forget to ftilt projectiles too.

EditL I completely forgot, Bum fullhop bairs, but does it immediately so he can hit standing opponents and not get shield grabbed, use that ****, it's mad good!

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
My favorite thing to do at low %s is about 3 or 4 u tilts, then a uair, d-smash or upsmash. Gets very good damage at low %s
And down b is a great anti approach, if they run towards you down b, they willl sheild and probably let go since thats what you do to 90% of other moves, and they get hit. Follow with uair

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i made a few updates here and there. again, i'm not sure if i'll eventually turn this into a full guide...but for the moment i'm just trying to stress the competitive techniques most useful, and ignoring dumb stuff like shieldgrabbing and when to airdodge and stuff, lol.

Its interesting how popular ike was...and now few people play him...DK seems to be taking his spot, becoming slowly more popular online as the juggernaut character.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
DJ = doublejump. i'm one of few that use that acronym. i sometimes forget that, sorry. ^_^

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
alright...
**** YOSHI!!!
i dont know whether its online play cuz its slightly harder to avoid projectiles (i doubt it), but Ripple's Yoshi gave my DK the worst headache since i fought a good DDD. (Ripple also has the best DK i've played too, being equal to mine).

anyway..yoshi's eggs **** DK. and pivot grab is a BEAST whenever u finally go get close.

Linguini

Smash Master
alright...
**** YOSHI!!!
i dont know whether its online play cuz its slightly harder to avoid projectiles (i doubt it), but Ripple's Yoshi gave my DK the worst headache since i fought a good DDD. (Ripple also has the best DK i've played too, being equal to mine).

anyway..yoshi's eggs **** DK. and pivot grab is a BEAST whenever u finally go get close.
Yoshi is terrible, the only way you could get worse from melee to brawl was not adding the broken shield tactics to a character.
Yoshi doesn't have a shield, he has an egg, you win.

TTT

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi is terrible, the only way you could get worse from melee to brawl was not adding the broken shield tactics to a character.
Yoshi doesn't have a shield, he has an egg, you win.
Lol....someone doesn't play many chars or good people

Linguini

Smash Master
Lol....someone doesn't play many chars or good people
haha, too bad I play against afro who is the best player in Florida and Lambchops who is the 2nd best.

Point is, Yoshi is terrible, any smart brawl player knows that attacking out of shield is one of the most important aspects in brawl.
Yoshi cannot attack immediately out of his shield, therefore giving him a severe disadvantage when put up against the rest of the cast.

There's no argument in that, if your having trouble with yoshi you should rethink your game plan, because yoshi is trash.

Cardd

Smash Cadet
yoshi is definitly not even close to a trash charecter just b/c he cant atk out f sheild.

Brawl is slightly deeper then that im afraid.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
You're right, Brawl is SLIGHTLY deeper than that. But that one disadvantage pretty much screws over Yoshi, at least against competitive players.

Top Bottom