• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom moves allowed!

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
In tournament, I recently learned that for the time being: Custom moves are being allowed to use in tournament play to test their viability or if they shouldn't be allowed. I saw this and thought to myself; what custom moves are good on Falcon? (note that custom moves are allowed, but stat bonuses and equipment are not as that would be ludicrous)

Up-b: I felt standard up-b is best, so you have the luxury of up-b out of shield and a decent cartwheel combo finisher. It goes a decent height and can be used reliably.

b: I feel the second punch is the best, as it could be used as a rare cross up on an unsuspecting opponent as well as a good recovery option recovering high. This move also doesn't trade off too much damage and can be argued as a safe option. (Falcon punch safe? *laughs*)

side-b: i have no idea, the standard is nice for it's start up and ko power but i haven't unlocked the other one's yet to know their effectiveness. I have some idea of what they can do where one is a longer more delayed uppercut and another is a shorter stronger one. just feel the first is most useful and balanced.

Down-b: This is a toss up, the standard has a linger and a strong hitbox at the start that kills off the top if percent is high enough. I can see the rapid hitting kick a nice choice if used creatively. The lightning kick can be good for returning to center stage as well or closing gaps quickly, also returning instantly to the ground to surprise opponents. The downside is it isn't really a kill move at this point and doesn't have a lingering hitbox to hit your opponents from far away. You'll be a sitting duck most of the time trying to close gaps as you will be used to the standard kick and end up right in front of them.

Please tell me what you guys think is a good combonation to use in tournament that complements falcon well. I understand personal preference is a thing and I respect it as well as welcome all opinions on moves that should be used over others for their utility or at least what works for you. Open my eyes so I can see what you guys see in certain moves I didn't see before. Thank you and go punch something.

M&Mavocado

Smash Cadet
I've unlocked all the Neutral 2, Side 3, Up 2, Down 2, and Down 3. So far, the only custom move I can make use of is Falcon Kick Fury, Down 2, because its easier to combo with. Also, Falcon Dash Punch could catch people off guard, but I feel like most of Captain Falcon's standard moves are better. I may be missing something though and I haven't unlocked all of them...

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hmmm. . .
Depends honestly. Customs imo are still a preference. So that said the more powerful but worse recovering Falcon Dive is a grounded command grab for combo finishing & KO'ing relatively early racking up huge %. The other one for strictly recovery turns me off so I wouldn't use it.

Falcon Punch's Customs are fairly decent to me. I'd probably take the Custom Special that grants you a ridiculous horizontal slide. I haven't seen it done airborne yet, but to apply the logic that it slides on the ground I'd think it slides airborne too, & that's an extra recovery option for Falcon especially when I enjoy WaveBouncing Falcon Punches while I recover.

I'd probably keep the standard Raptor Boost & for DownB's Custom called Falcon Kick Fury, I'd go with that one.

Last edited:

Alexander Duprey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-0311-7929
Idk if anyone has figured this out yet, but the lightning falcon when done super close to your opponent and super close to the ground will put out a smallish stun hitbox that's long enough for a grab or gentleman. I don't know if you can mash out of the stun, if you can then it's most likely useless, but as it is, I like it as a set up.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Idk if anyone has figured this out yet, but the lightning falcon when done super close to your opponent and super close to the ground will put out a smallish stun hitbox that's long enough for a grab or gentleman. I don't know if you can mash out of the stun, if you can then it's most likely useless, but as it is, I like it as a set up.
You cut your options short there, it's confirmed you can get a knee follow up from it.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
You cut your options short there, it's confirmed you can get a knee follow up from it.
This.

Also note that aerial Lightning Falcon Kick stops all momentum at the end of the move, so it can be used off-stage safely.

Dashing Falcon Punch is a solid option. Note that you can angle it up or down, when in the air. (This is actualyl true of normal Falcon Punch and Warlock Punch, but the distance is trivial.) Otherwise, I prefer the default side-b and up-b, but the alternatives are interesting propositions to consider.

Falcon has robust custom options.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
This.

Also note that aerial Lightning Falcon Kick stops all momentum at the end of the move, so it can be used off-stage safely.

Dashing Falcon Punch is a solid option. Note that you can angle it up or down, when in the air. (This is actualyl true of normal Falcon Punch and Warlock Punch, but the distance is trivial.) Otherwise, I prefer the default side-b and up-b, but the alternatives are interesting propositions to consider.

You can angle the vertical angle of an air falcon PUNCH? what.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yup, go try it. Again, it's far more pronounced with Dashing Falcon Punch.

FlamePikaYoshi

Smash Rookie
In tournament, I recently learned that for the time being: Custom moves are being allowed to use in tournament play to test their viability or if they shouldn't be allowed. I saw this and thought to myself; what custom moves are good on Falcon? (note that custom moves are allowed, but stat bonuses and equipment are not as that would be ludicrous)

Up-b: I felt standard up-b is best, so you have the luxury of up-b out of shield and a decent cartwheel combo finisher. It goes a decent height and can be used reliably.

b: I feel the second punch is the best, as it could be used as a rare cross up on an unsuspecting opponent as well as a good recovery option recovering high. This move also doesn't trade off too much damage and can be argued as a safe option. (Falcon punch safe? *laughs*)

side-b: i have no idea, the standard is nice for it's start up and ko power but i haven't unlocked the other one's yet to know their effectiveness. I have some idea of what they can do where one is a longer more delayed uppercut and another is a shorter stronger one. just feel the first is most useful and balanced.

Down-b: This is a toss up, the standard has a linger and a strong hitbox at the start that kills off the top if percent is high enough. I can see the rapid hitting kick a nice choice if used creatively. The lightning kick can be good for returning to center stage as well or closing gaps quickly, also returning instantly to the ground to surprise opponents. The downside is it isn't really a kill move at this point and doesn't have a lingering hitbox to hit your opponents from far away. You'll be a sitting duck most of the time trying to close gaps as you will be used to the standard kick and end up right in front of them.

Please tell me what you guys think is a good combonation to use in tournament that complements falcon well. I understand personal preference is a thing and I respect it as well as welcome all opinions on moves that should be used over others for their utility or at least what works for you. Open my eyes so I can see what you guys see in certain moves I didn't see before. Thank you and go punch something.
Custom moves are allowed?! Oh yeah, I saw Chibo using the Flaming Gyros for his R.O.B. and Nyani using the Fast Fireball and Gust Cape for her Mario.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Personally, I feel like Falcon's best options are the heavy raptor boost, lighting Falcon kick, and the horizontal boosted Falcon Punch. The heavy raptor boost has armor frames but isn't as good at punishing rolls. Personally I feel like its more useful against skilled opponents since you'll have more chances to punish a jab string than you will a roll. Falcon kick has stun which is useful under certain circumstances. The horizontal Falcon punch makes it a better recovery move.

The one I didn't mention was his up b, which I feel really varies. The best ones in my opinion are the default one and the explosive one. The explosive one is interesting in that it functions rather similarly to it's Smash 64 counterpart, being used as a kill move. You can hit confirm into it with a variety of moves (my personal favorite being uair) and its another decent kill move. But here's the thing: Falcon's already got a plethora of reliable, good kill moves. You've got your knee, your raptor boost, and your bair as your best options, and a few other situational ones like his smashes. Does he really need another special move dedicated to killing? I feel like the choice of which up b to use will depend on the matchup and how things progress in the meta. My thoughts right now though are to just use the default, as off stage gameplay is important in a lot of matchups and you really need that extra recovery distance.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Gawain Gawain I feel the same with you on the Explosive Falcon Dive, but I would address that it's not just a stronger knockback UpB & a KO option, but also for % damage rack-up. The move fresh does deal 25% & I don't even know if any regular command grab moves even deal that kind of % damage, that's really something. Used within early game in a setup like landing Nair to that is dealing Ganon string damage but stronger.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
@ Gawain Gawain I feel the same with you on the Explosive Falcon Dive, but I would address that it's not just a stronger knockback UpB & a KO option, but also for % damage rack-up. The move fresh does deal 25% & I don't even know if any regular command grab moves even deal that kind of % damage, that's really something. Used within early game in a setup like landing Nair to that is dealing Ganon string damage but stronger.
That's a good point, I hadn't really considered trying to use it to rack percent.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
That's a good point, I hadn't really considered trying to use it to rack percent.
At first I didn't want to simply because the move takes a good while coming out to connect the move's command grab, but I felt it was worth noting anyway. Plus people could Airdodge upon landing & take the lag for doing it anyway thus being grabbed by the slow Explosive Falcon Dive.:shades:

Last edited:

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I like the down special that puts them in the air, I feel like it actually gives the Falcon Kick some use and makes it harder to punish if you connect it. The only other custom I'd consider is the up special with higher reach but doesn't grab. I don't use the upB to damage all that much but at the same time it provides an option.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
At this point for Falcon's Down-B Customs, it's no longer just about "What is safer for me? What do I prefer? Are the follow-ups optional?", but all i want to know now is which Down-B works well after a Footstool.

Depending how well-done a Falcon Kick move does after the Footstool, is which one I may opt to choose over the others.

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
This.

That right there is N64 player fanservice.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Dashing Falcon Punch can be angled?! Holy crap that's good! Plus, it could surprise opponents too.

I use the Falcon Rising Punch (custom UpB) for recovery purposes, mostly. The Captain's recovery isn't all that great as it is, so any help with it is welcome. Also, since they nerfed the default UpB (doesn't kill anymore :( ), I don't use it as often.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Lighting Falcon Kick can actually be usted for recovery, and the stun can get people off guard.
The mighty Falcon Punch it's a decent option for edgeguarding.

Paul the Octopus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-4913-3001
Am I correct in saying that it's impossible to do a true combo into (any version of) up b? It seems to me like the startup is too long and they can always air dodge out of it, leaving this move as a risky move you attempt on a read, with some bad consequences if you are wrong (slowly falling down in a helpless state).

For that reason I actually prefer the non damaging up b that lets you go super far offstage and still make it back.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Am I correct in saying that it's impossible to do a true combo into (any version of) up b? It seems to me like the startup is too long and they can always air dodge out of it, leaving this move as a risky move you attempt on a read, with some bad consequences if you are wrong (slowly falling down in a helpless state).

For that reason I actually prefer the non damaging up b that lets you go super far offstage and still make it back.
I can actually concur that it's quite possible to do a true combo with any version of Up-B, especially Explosive Falcon Dive.

I tested Lightning Falcon Kick's landing hit-stun in the 0 ~ 50% range, out of a footstool setup & was able to connect a buffered Explosive Falcon Dive follow-up as they pop upwards from the knockback. That Lightning Falcon Kick dealt either dealt 15% or 19% in Training Mode depending how fast you use the Falcon Kick out of Footstool, & Explosive Falcon Dive fresh deals 25%. . .That's basically dealing 40 ~ 45-ish% from two moves.:shades: HYESZ~

Of course when their current % is higher than ~50%, you may not guarantee EFD from the ground, so this is where you'll need to read where they vector towards & SH + EFD or any Falcon Dive variation to get the follow-up from LFK's hit-stun. But the higher their % is, the longer the hit-stun from LFK lasts, which is why I was able to get a LFK out of Footstool, & connect EFD around 70 ~ 75% range & KO them when I was nearby a ledge area on the stage at 90 ~ 95% without vectoring involved.

Also we can connect with landing N-air > Falcon Dive around any given % really. I didn't test the Falcon Strike Custom, but I know that Explosive Falcon Dive doesn't work at all after the N-air landing. They'd have to be shielding or spot-dodge for it to connect, & they could just roll away & punish our bad landing. So don't do landing N-air > EFD

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Lightning Falcon Kick into Knee is super easy and deadly at all percents. It's a really nice punish option although spamming it is basically like spamming rest.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I heard that you can unlock lightning kick by getting a 10+hit combo in training mode. I met that criteria but wasn't able to unlock it. Will I have to just grind to unlock it?

Man I am way too lazy to deal with custom moves lol.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I heard that you can unlock lightning kick by getting a 10+hit combo in training mode. I met that criteria but wasn't able to unlock it. Will I have to just grind to unlock it?

It's worth it, Lighting FK is way better than the regular one, not only does it have the stunning feature, but it can also be used safely off stage, so you can actually recover with it.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It's worth it, Lighting FK is way better than the regular one, not only does it have the stunning feature, but it can also be used safely off stage, so you can actually recover with it.
Lightning Falcon Kick is soooooooooooooooo worth it to the max.

The things we can do with LFK. . .Ugh Footstool setups can lock a guaranteed aerial of our choice, another footstool (light-pressed jump so we don't go as high) to maybe a Falcon Punch upon their wake-up.

The move is fairly safe on-block, the distance, how it operates off-stage not gimping ourselves like you mentioned. . .this move will be a game-changing Special for Falcon's Metagame.

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645

Actually Lightning Kick is just play StreetSmash once (with CPUs count)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
is that right? ill get on that asap. how convenient that its the only custom move worth getting too (i have all the other ones, i just could never get the lightning kick)

Weeman

Smash Crusader
My favorite custom setup so far:
-Lightning Falcon Kick: Best FK by far.

-Regular Falcon Punch: Admittedly this one's personal since the other do have their uses.

-Falcon Strike/Falcon Dive: Strike gives you the best recovery along with the Lightning Falcon Kick, but Falcon Dive's grab makes it more useful sometimes.

-Regular Raptor boost: Reliable and fast kill move, though i'll admit the other ones are fun to mess around with.

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I like Falcon Strike a lot because not only does it go higher, but the hitbox is above you making it much harder to edgeguard.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
From my experience with falcon strike it feels like the arc is much worse. You can make your recovery higher but then I feel as if I do not go as far. So angling recoveries feel weaker than the original move. At least to me. I could be wrong on this one.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
So would people say Capt Falcon customs are more of a preference thing if they are legal, opposed to essential?

On another somewhat related not, what characters would absolutely be using customs?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I honestly think it all comes down to preference, yeah. Falcon Dash Punch, for example, catches people REALLY off-guard, if they don't know you're using it.

Speaking of which.......... Do customs-allowed tournaments make you declare which custom moves you're using prior to the match?

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
It's weaker but has a bigger hitbox. It's probably designed for FFA use, but it might have some application for edgeguarding?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
It's weaker but has a bigger hitbox. It's probably designed for FFA use, but it might have some application for edgeguarding?
It has. Check out Lionman's videos, he uses it to edgeguard all the time (combined with Falcon Strike for a better recovery).

Top Bottom