• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Move discussion: Yoshi

Ultima 3

Smash Cadet
Neutral B
Egg Lay: Command Grab. Puts opponent into an egg behind you. Does 7%. The higher the opponents %, the longer they stay in the egg. Opponents take reduced damage when inside the egg. Egg will not move as it's attacked.
Lick: Jumps forward and shoots out tongue. Only the tip of the to tongue does damage. Does 10%. Cancels out small projectiles. KO move. Near the edge at 130%, in the centre at 160%.
Egg Launch: Command Grab. Puts opponent into an egg. Shoots them out behind you a long distance. Does 10%. Only in egg for a short amount of time. The higher the opponents %, the longer they stay in the egg.

Side B
Egg Roll: Rolls in a egg towards enemy. Does 4-9%. The faster you roll, the more damage you do. Can jump once when in the egg. When used in the air, will fall. Will do no damage until you touch the ground. Will bounce when you touch the ground after a jump or when used from the air. Travels past shield. Pressing B will get you out of the egg. KO move at 250%.
Heavy Egg Roll: Rolls in a slow moving egg towards enemy. 4-15%. The faster you roll, the more damage you do. Hitting an enemy resets your speed. Egg has super armour while rolling. Can jump once when in the egg. Doesn't jump very high. When used in the air drops immediately. Will do no damage until you touch the ground. Will bounce when it lands. Pressing B will get you out of the egg. Each hit does large shield damage. KO move at 120%.
Light Egg Roll: Bounces far in an egg. Does 1-12%. The closer the opponent is to the bounce arc, the more damage it will do. Grounded, bounces in a low arc. When used in the air, will fall. Will do no damage until you touch the ground. The higher you were in the air, the greater the arc when you bounce. Pressing B will get you out of the egg. Cancels out small projectiles during the bounce. KO move at 190%.

Up B
Egg Throw: Throws egg. Hits a maximum of 2 times. Egg itself does 1%. The egg break explosion does 5%. Maximum 6%. Explosion has a small blast radius. Shot can be angled a lot. When used in the air, rises you into the air. First use in the air ascends you into the air. Next 2 uses stalls your descent.
High Jump: Non-damaging. Jumps high into the air. Jumps higher when used in the air.
Timed Egg Throw: Throws egg. Tiny delay to throw. Egg itself does no damage and passes through opponents. Egg has slight pushback. Explodes at a set distance. Does 9%. Explosion has small blast radius. Shot can be angled a lot. When used in the air, rises you into the air. First use in the air ascends you into the air very slightly. Next 2 uses stalls your descent. KO move at 230%.

Down B
Yoshi Bomb: Grounded, hits a maximum of 2 times. First hit does 4%. Final hit does 15%. Maximum 19%. Jumps in the air then drops. In the air, stalls then drops. Does 12%. Shoots out stars on both sides when you land. Stars do 4%. Stars and drop cancel out small projectiles. KO move. Grounded at 120%. Aerial on the ground at 160%, in the air at 140%.
Star Bomb: Grounded, hits a maximum of 2 times. First hit does 3%. Final hit does 4%. Maximum 7%. Jumps into the air then drops. In the air, stalls then drops. Does 4%. Shoots out large stars on both sides when you land. Stars travel out medium distance. Does 4-8%. Stars decrease in size the further they go. Stars and drop cancel out small projectiles.
Crushing Bomb: Grounded, hits a maximum of 2 times. First hit does 5%. Final hit does 18%. Maximum 23%. Jumps very high into the air then drops. Stalls slightly before drop. In the air, stalls longer then drops. Does 18%. Does heavy shield damage. Cancels out projectiles when dropping. KO move. Grounded at 80%. Aerial on the ground at 90%, in the air at 80%.

Go to customs for the rainbow coloured dinosaurs, Yoshi?

JackD

Smash Rookie
Egg launch is an instant kill in a lot of situations actually. If your opponent's recovery is anything short of amazing they can't come back. Even if they make an effort, you can just dive in after them and secure the kill.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Egg Launch might be fairly useful on stages like Smashville and Town & City (or whatever it's called), where platforms move relatively close to the blast zones. This could set up for super early kills.

Also, Light Egg Roll is the truth. The move is fantastic for creating distance, as well as for killing on stages with platforms. It's super garbage on Yoshi's Island though because it only bounces in place on slopes for mediocre damage and knockback.

As for Star Bomb, I enjoy using it on platforms with slopes (YI, Brinstar, Picto, etc.) because we're able to take a huge advantage over the lagless down b's, thus creating ridiculous space control with stars, then following it up with b-reverse egg toss into ridiculousness, egg roll shenanigans, and what not.

I am considering experimenting with Timed Egg Toss in the future though, just because I already position my Egg Tosses to hit as late as possible for as much frame advantage as possible.

Last edited:

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
I believe Lick acts similarly to Mario's cape in terms of recovery giving him a small boost and some stall.
Star Bomb is a pretty useful projectile, you can try SH into it.
The Egg Rolls seem to be disappointingly just as useless as the original...
Timed Egg Toss may be helpful if you can practice using it.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. I feel stock Yoshi is pretty much the way to go. Even tough some customs offer new ways to approach or solve certain issues within Yoshi, in reality, the overall trade-off is not worthy...

High-jump and explosive eggs both feel redundant. Yoshi already a godly second jump and stock egg throw sure helps making it even godlier, be it for recovering that extra inch or to add insane air control and maneuverability. Also, stock eggs server as terrific zoning and space-control proyectiles, thanks to them lobbing and exploding on contact. I feel both customs are redundant because of how well Yoshi already performs on the areas these customs try to improve. High jump is already pretty obvious why is it redundant, Yoshi doesnt really needs more jumping power than he already has... unless you want to go to the depths of hell to gimp your opponents or because you have trouble (somehow!) recovering with Yoshi. Explosive eggs... I just cant like them. They lose the abililty to effectively control your opponent in exchange of more firepower... when already Yoshi has plenty of that with his insane normals.

I preffer being able to approach with Yoshi throwing lobbing eggs that explote on contact, forcing my opponent to move, than forcing myself to position well in order to hit my opponent.

Regarding the egg-rolls... they in general feel subpar, specially the heavy one. It´s so slow and heavy that if you get hit by it you should be laying your control down and walk away from the room. To make things worse, it loses its momentum if it hits someone once, dispelling all the hard work you already have to put in this poor excuse of a move. Super armor does not salvages this terrible move... no one with half a brain will allow him/herself to ever be hit with this. Light-egg on the other hand, it is much better but I dunno... a little to jumpy maybe? it doesnt looks as viable and controlable as the stock one. Again, the middle point is a winner for me as it offers good speed, good control (can even super-jump from ledges!). It is nowhere a kill or combo move, but it at least can catch opponents off-guard now and then.

And finally, the bombs. Again stock is a solid choice. Breaks shield on full execution and hits quite hard, being a viable kill move. However for this one I do think that Star bomb is a perfectly viable option. Less kill power (Wich Yoshi doesnt really needs as he has great normals that kill rather easily) but providing with not only more space-control but also a safer option for returning to the ground, I really like that. Heavy bomb however... no, just no. Slow, predictable, extremelly reactionable... the extra punch does not justifies the lost speed.

At the very best, I would only switch from stock 1111 to 1112

Overall, yoshi got the most useless and redundant custom-moves of the lot. He doesnt gains anything from them without sacrificing his all-around power and dominance. More recovery? Isn´t Yoshi already hard as hell to kill? More kill-power? Isnt Yoshi a power-house already?

Patt_The_ODST

Smash Rookie
I'll defend a few custom moves I particularly am known for in my School. Opinion and story-based, but, nonetheless, a way to look at these moves that nobody has given much attention.

Crushing Bomb:
Sure, you may say my friends aren't 'competitive enough', but I swear to you this move has allowed me to finally defeat the one person who has never let me beat them once in all of our Brawl games. My friend Aaron used to dominate with Game&Watch, however, this move caused him so much stress that he went through 4 of his mains and could not defeat it, eventually blaming the game for not registering his inputs (which might have also happened.)

I surprised him with the crushing bomb by using it above the stage's camera and hitting him as he came up for a Uair. I would go up a few times and pretend that I had too much input lag through my free-fall, and the second or third time I would act out of the launch where he thought I couldn't. At this height, just under the top of the stage's camera, it has ko'd at 40%. A-LOT. Excellent rage-move, even if down-bombs aren't popular in competitive.

Heavy Egg Roll:
This move has a secret that it seems nobody here has seen.
It can act as a counter. I kid you not. In strange situations, this move has done proportional damage when an opponent tries to side-smash me out of my roll. If you can catch an opponent during any smash and get in the way while on the ground in this roll- it does counter-styled damage when you collide with them. You don't hit for the normal percentage, it scales up. Sure, you take damage, but this recoil has KO'd at around 60% or 70%! It's untouchable with the right matchups!

Yes, crude-brutal strength may only be good against certain tiers of players, but hey- someone had to represent these moves!
Patt, profile to be completed soon.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I dunno. I feel stock Yoshi is pretty much the way to go. Even tough some customs offer new ways to approach or solve certain issues within Yoshi, in reality, the overall trade-off is not worthy...
Overall, yoshi got the most useless and redundant custom-moves of the lot. He doesnt gains anything from them without sacrificing his all-around power and dominance. More recovery? Isn´t Yoshi already hard as hell to kill? More kill-power? Isnt Yoshi a power-house already?
Agreed, stock Yoshi in my opinion is the most competitively viable option.

Neutral B
Egg lay: Yoshi has access to many options after landing an egg lay -- Up smash, Down B, Egg throw, Uair, etc. This move is way good to pass up. B reversing, B pivoting to be mobile and catching opponents off guard into a follow up is a major plus.
Lick: I'd consider this one of the "fun" customs, which somewhat has a use as an additional air/ground option. Egg lay still wins out.
Egg launch: Very situational custom. Probably useful specifically for Little Mac, but many characters have a decent recovery. Also its somewhat difficult to land a reverse B off stage..

Up B
Egg throw: Easily Yoshi's best tool for approaching and keep away. Completely outclasses the other options.
High jump: Umm yeah no.
Egg bomb: Does more damage, but needs to be aimed precisely. It is slower and you receive less jump with each egg, another one of the "fun" customs to play with.

Side B
Egg roll: Most balanced out of the three, and useful to mindgame opponents with bounces/switching directions. A getaway tool to keep up your egg throw game as well.
Heavy egg roll: Slow, but has super armor and does considerable damage with enough speed. However any opponent with half a brain will walk away and punish accordingly.
Light egg roll: Faster and now with an aerial bounce. I would actually consider this to be quite useful to getaway and hit aerial opponents to get to the other side of the stage.

Down B
Yoshi bomb: Breaks shields , kill move, and a follow up to egg lay.
Star bomb: Meh at best. Stars are a considerable size but I'd rather use eggs for projectile spam,
Heavy bomb: While Yoshi bomb is not the fastest killing option, using this custom would make it even harder to land kills. For this custom, you'd have to really predict perfectly in order to kill, making Yoshi's job a lot harder.

Overall, I would consider maybe only using light egg roll and egg launch as customs; but stock Yoshi is great enough already.

Top Bottom