• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Damage Percents Thread (?)

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Customize your Brawl by 40%!!
Main Idea by E-Jolteon :D You're awesome!!

They aren't that good right now, I think I'll try to remake them and see if it works.
Dafont.com is pretty epic to me right now

Tutorial:
The file is found in X:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\info2
Take info.pac and extract the percentage fonts using BrawlBox (InfDamageNm.0.tga for example)
Then you're free to edit it from there and as always, you can't exceed the original filesize (389kb)
In any case you're still confused, you're supposed to edit MiscData[30] -> Textures

ITT: We share these kinds of stuff lol (rename them to info.pac)
-----------------Template-----------------
http://www.mediafire.com/?btjjz43oaty by Dchen (also includes a default distortino font :D )
---------------------------------------------
Current List of Available Fonts
Shogun: http://www.mediafire.com/?myzz0mxcqz1 fixed by
preview: http://www.dafont.com/shoguns-clan.font

Cheshire Jersey: http://www.mediafire.com/?em03q2zz5ni
preview: Can't find it ~.~

Will add yours in OP if you guys want, it helps to include a preview too!
WILL POST PICS SOON KTHX

Old Stuff:
Common Problems: (It probably means you're doing it wrong) Just use the template
-Trying to take a snapshot ingame crashes Brawl (I must have exceeded the filesize by a little bit, exceeding more will probably crash the game)
-Black Box surrounding font (most likely that I used a black border when applying white fonts)

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Does it have to be named info instead of info_en? Because it won't load for me ;-;

Dchen

Smash Rookie
@leafbarrett
I believe so. I always replace the file on the ISO itself..so none of those things really matter for me. And I do believe the problem is the file size...so everyone can just use mine as the base because it doesn't cause any problems whatsoever.

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'm glad that this idea is actually getting some attention! I've been trying to get Pokemon-font damage percentages, but the game always froze, or I couldn't locate the right files.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's nice to have other people figure out things that I can't! :p

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I made a custom damage percentage with neither of those problems.

Here's the upload..haven't been able to get someone to take a pic for me or anything..it would be nice though.
http://www.mediafire.com/?btjjz43oaty
Cool, I'll try this when I have the chance, I'll probably take some pics of your info.pac too

I guess I'll put the template in the OP :)

BTW, when replacing the format in BrawlBox, did you use the default as given or did you scroll to something else?

Alright, I'm glad that this idea is actually getting some attention! I've been trying to get Pokemon-font damage percentages, but the game always froze, or I couldn't locate the right files.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's nice to have other people figure out things that I can't! :p
You've exceeded the original filesize limit :( keep trying though

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Derp x.x MediaFire seems to be down.
My only suggestion is to re-add some kind of outline, because the damage is really hard to see on bright stages.
I think the black border in my font was caused by me not deleting the layer filled with black, but in BB it won't actually appear, as if it was a transparent layer. Ingame though the black should appear. Though I don't know what happens if you directly put black color in it

Also, I'm doing some tests right now as well as updated OP (Bonus points for whoever knows where the first line came from XD)

EDIT: Ok did some stuff while I was bored, now the pause screen has no more buttons lol (planned it that way, maybe you guys want it too?)
EDIT 2: Kinda good news: lol filesize went down by 10kb, bad news, there's still the border of the text that need to be removed >.<

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Okay, I've figured something out. When replaced by BrawlBox, in-game, transparent becomes black and BLACK BECOMES TRANSPARENT. That's how to get rid of the black boxes! :D

EDIT: At least, that's how it works for the damage numbers. ^^;

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Okay, I've figured something out. When replaced by BrawlBox, in-game, transparent becomes black and BLACK BECOMES TRANSPARENT. That's how to get rid of the black boxes! :D

EDIT: At least, that's how it works for the damage numbers. ^^;
Awesome :D Now I think I can redo the fonts and make new ones faster

So it's only damage numbers?

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
The Shogun damage font had a black background so upon reading that black and transparent get switched, I fixed it. Tested in game and it works. Get it here. Note that the switching applies for the % icon too.

I noticed that the custom font doesn't appear in Training mode. Anyone know why that is? I haven't seen if it appears in other modes or not...

so only edit the InfDamageNm things for custom damage percents right?
Yeah. If you want to change the HP and % icons, they're the next two pictures after the numbers.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I noticed that the custom font doesn't appear in Training mode. Anyone know why that is? I haven't seen if it appears in other modes or not...

Yeah. If you want to change the HP and % icons, they're the next two pictures after the numbers.
1.There's a different file that loads damage percents for training mode it's either info_training_en.pac or info_training_mg_en.pac these are found in info2 they hold the music titles for training

2.Thank you! also the number have to be sideways for them to work in-game?

camelot

Smash Ace
In info_en, it also looks like you can also change the colors of the numbers, based on damage percent. Cool. I'll be experimenting with this.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
The Shogun damage font had a black background so upon reading that black and transparent get switched, I fixed it. Tested in game and it works. Get it here. Note that the switching applies for the % icon too.
A suggestion. Try leaving a transparent outline around the font. That way, it will show up as a black outline in-game, which will make the font MUCH easier to see on bright stages.
So it's only damage numbers?
Well, all the damage-related things.
I tried it on the "GO!" texture and ended up with big black boxes over a vaguely GO!-shaped black blob. (The black blob was my result for just deleting GO!)

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
I guess so. The originals are sideways so just make the font and rotate it when you're done, matching the total dimensions for the pic of course.

Editing the colours is probably done in the palettes somewhere in there. Edit: Can't seem to find anything there referring to the damage numbers... wtf?

A suggestion. Try leaving a transparent outline around the font. That way, it will show up as a black outline in-game, which will make the font MUCH easier to see on bright stages.
Eh, I'm no artist, but I'll see what I can do... Although, the outline ruins the look of the font IMO.

Edit: I think InfTimeNm.0 to InfTimeNm.9 might be the timer numbers... hmm.... (In the same MiscData thing as the damage numbers)

Edit 2: Weird... I threw in a number (specifically 0) with the transparent background with the rest of the numbers having a black background and that number still had a transparent background in game. Looks like the custom damage numbers from ESH has a transparent background too... wtf is going on here?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I managed to stop the percentages from changing color over time... o.o

EDIT: OK. Got it I think. AnmClr > InfDamage

The ones that gradually go from white to red.

There's one for each HUD digit (InfDamage0 is the ones, InfDamage1 is the tens, InfDamage2 is the hundreds)

(hypothesis)

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Well, all the damage-related things.
I tried it on the "GO!" texture and ended up with big black boxes over a vaguely GO!-shaped black blob. (The black blob was my result for just deleting GO!)
I kinda got that blob thing too when I removed lots of stuff in the pause menu, it still has "blob" effect on the "quit, +, return, snapshot etc."
Just a wild guess but I think you can completely make it invisible by filling it with black on where the "GO" sign is supposed to be

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
The GO! thing has a palette. Try and see what happens if you set palette to false instead of true.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Oh, right. Almost forgot.
Gauge damage
This replaces the numbers with vertical gauges. The number of bars = the number
So 82 would be:
=
=
=
==
The black boxes are on purpose; it's hard to see the bars without them.
Problems: It's hard to tell the damage at a glance. (That's the only real problem, but it's a pretty big one.)

Also, anyone know how to get the info_training_en.pac to work? I named it info_training and the game froze.

Slashy

Smash Lord
1.There's a different file that loads damage percents for training mode it's either info_training_en.pac or info_training_mg_en.pac these are found in info2 they hold the music titles for training

It's info_training_en.pac

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Couple of questions:
1.Transparency needed yes or no?
2.Color does the numbers have to be?
And does anybody mind giving me a quick run down of what we can/can't do with the fonts and guidelines
For some reason i'm confused about this

Slashy

Smash Lord
The transparency is supposedly done on the color black.

The color of the numbers has to be white.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Couple of questions:
1.Transparency needed yes or no?
2.Color does the numbers have to be?
And does anybody mind giving me a quick run down of what we can/can't do with the fonts and guidelines
For some reason i'm confused about this
1. Transparent in your BrawlBox = Black Ingame
Black in your BrawlBox = Transparent Ingame
2. White, though I have no idea what happens when you use something other than that.

Just don't exceed the filesize, also some graphics (eg. Ready, GO!, Pause menu) are acting strange when you make it all transparent, you'll get some sort of black outline instead ingame.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
The filesize didn't change, so that can't be it... anyone have any tips?
where do you find that directory?
also, I've been slow in making my own fonts lol, crash week in Diablo 2 takes up alot :)) (Finished it and made it to Nightmare lol) /offtopic

So anyway, I'ma continue to make more soon

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
pssst does anybody have any tips for lowering file size?
I've already replace the text in most of the msbin files with ?
So suggestions?
EDIT:nvm using the template fixed this issue

Top Bottom