• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current highest known GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Saw an Inkling at 3.298 looks like people will be crossing 3.3 in the next few hours, it gives me so much motivation knowing there are like 40,000 online players than me, I reeally wanna get better and start streaking. That be so awesome to be a top 1000 or even someday top 100 player.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
So after playing some matches and refreshing my lowest fighter is sheik and palutena both at 3,199,026, and my highest is Ike at 3,258,193. If we are to assume the 3.5% window for elite smash and assume (let’s round up) that 3.2 mil is the lowest bar to achieve elite smash atm then that means the highest possible number RN is about 3.312 Million GSP. Also I find it very intriguing that 2 characters can have the same GSP on the same account

Last edited:

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
So after playing some matches and refreshing my lowest fighter is sheik and palutena both at 3,199,026, and my highest is Ike at 3,258,193. If we are to assume the 3.5% window for elite smash and assume (let’s round up) that 3.2 mil is the lowest bar to achieve elite smash atm then that means the highest possible number RN is about 3.312 Million GSP. Also I find it very intriguing that 2 characters can have the same GSP on the same account
There is almost certainly separate rank/GSP for each character, so with 74 characters it isn't really surprising that there can be ties. Especially if the underlying rating is an Elo-ish system with a very finite number of ratings. If the underlying rating is integers in a regular Elo range, there may only be thousands of distinct Ratings, and how the system deals with ties and translating it to GSP is a black box and really hard to figure out because the GSP pool is increasing by tens of players every minute, on average.

Speculation about how things work:

If all characters were placed into the same GSP scale, it would be dramatically higher than ~3.3 right now. 3.3M totally makes sense for about ~7-8M copies. X Million copies * fraction of players that have subscribed or trialed the online * number of accounts for each of them.

A lot of what makes the system weird or unintuitive is that it is assigning a Rank/GSP to players for characters they've never played, which makes the Ranks very center-heavy relative to other Rating systems. That's why you can swing through the entire "middle" section of 400k to 2.6M in like 6 or 7 games, especially for characters that have barely been played. That;s also why you can play players off by huge GSPs during that middle range-- their underlying rating really isn't all that different, but it just maps to a vastly different GSP due to how densely populated that middle range is.

Unknown things:

For players that are top-top-tier with multiple characters, how high is their GSP for characters that they haven't played? Given that some of the better streamers would get into Elite after a single game with a character, it stands to reason that it is possible for some of the highest GSP ranks for each character to essentially be "wasted" on players that haven't played the character online at all.

I can't imagine it being possible to figure out how the Roster GSP (or the underlying Roster Rating) is calculated, or how that is differs from the "default" GSP / initial MMR estimate that is clearly used when you play a new character for the first time.

Last edited:

Telek

Smash Rookie
Nevermind, we're getting off topic.

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Up to 3,278,642. One guess with who. Also, how are you guys posting pictures of your screen grabs? Getting it from my switch to here is, like, a 7 step process for me unless I'm just being dumb.

Last edited:

NeonLytes

Smash Rookie
Up to 3,278,642. One guess with who. Also, how are you guys posting pictures of your screen grabs? Getting it from my switch to here is, like, a 7 step process for me unless I'm just being dumb.
I stream so for me I just Gyazo or screen capture my OBS Studio screen, takes like two seconds if you have an elgato or something : )

MeroFFM

Smash Rookie
i am at 3,2817,498 with Snake and 3,26 million with DK , im always playing against ppl who are lower than me , never met someone who was higher than me

NeonLytes

Smash Rookie
What's stopping anyone from embellishing ratings in here, by the way?

Don't mean to sound negative, but with that post earlier saying 3.4 mil when that was practically unobtainable at the time, are we just going off the honor system?

redhoshi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1054-0048-1926
I hit like 3.0mil on Donkey Kong and no elite smash. Does anyone know the threshold for DK fo ES?

redhoshi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1054-0048-1926
i am at 3,2817,498 with Snake and 3,26 million with DK , im always playing against ppl who are lower than me , never met someone who was higher than me
do you have a DK discord or want to chat? I need to know the DK secrets.

What's stopping anyone from embellishing ratings in here, by the way?

Don't mean to sound negative, but with that post earlier saying 3.4 mil when that was practically unobtainable at the time, are we just going off the honor system?
I guess so. If there was an easier way to save images off the Switch then that would clear up this problem a bit me thinks.

Crosser

Smash Rookie
I was 3.3 last night and then ran into 3 or 4 laggy matches. 3.29 right now

MeroFFM

Smash Rookie

Now i am at 3,284 million , still havent met someone who is higher than me

Lifewaker

Smash Rookie
My highest is 3.26 DK, but I got bopped by a 3.323 something GSP Cloud. He didn't let me touch him.

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I wasn't behind this whole "race to 3.3 Million" thing the thread brought up originally, but I'm more in favor of it now that I've won it.
FB_IMG_1547840496133.jpg

Last edited:

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
Well It's absolutely not accurate. I was at 3.203.000 earlier today, no élite smash whereas thé gsp needed for m'y character is, according to this Web site, 3.128.000...
It is using data that is up to 7 days old, which is just wrong.

3.32 is the highest known right now, so 3.22-ish would be the cutoff if it really is the top 3%. I chimed in on the discussion thread for the webpage, but there's no need to do guesswork-- just multiplying the highest known GSP at any given moment by 0.97 is going to give you a damn good estimate of what the current cutoff is, and is probably more accurate than trying to cobble together individual values due to the ~5k-15k swing in GSP that happens per game around the cutoff point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom