• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cruel Trick or Great Suprise?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
So I was in Target tonight with my girlfriend because she had some shopping to do and whatever (boring), but seeing as I had the opportunity, I walked us over to the electronics section to see if Brawl was out by any odd chance. No one was there and the game was nowhere in sight, so we walked away and continued on with our excursion. My girlfriend then suggested that I try calling the store and transferring to the electronics section because they'd probably answer the phone. So I did and sure enough a guy with a very hoarse voice answered (apparantely he has laringytis (spelling?) or something). I asked if Brawl was available for purchase and he said "no, but we'll have it on sale tomorrow." I asked him if he was 100% sure of that and he said "yes, the game will be available tomorrow. Come back then and we'll have it." So I said thanks for the help and hung up.

At this point I was still not very sure that the guy was being legit with me, so I asked my girlfriend if she knew anyone in electronics with a hoarse voice (she works at the Target store we were in) and she said yes she did. So I convinced her to go over to electronics and ask him about the game herself because the chance of him making something up to someone he knows from work seemed quite low. She did and she came back reporting that he told her that the game would be available tomorrow as well. So I arranged with my girlfriend that since she is opening in the pharmacy tomorrow morning that she will go to electronics when she arrives at the store and see if she can pick up the game. After that she'll text me to let me know what happened.

The point of this story is, I MAY be so lucky that I get Brawl tomorrow. Luckily I didn't pay for Brawl in full at Gamestop so losing $5 is no big deal. I recommend that everyone here checks any Target stores around them to see if they say the same thing. Hopefully this actually comes through and just isn't some very disappointing hoax pulled by that employee. If I get the game tomorrow I will be sure to edit this thread and post a picture of me holding the game (gotta have pics or it didn't happen!).

Anyways, any thoughts or similar experiences?

UPDATE FROM PAGE 4:

Ok update people:

The Target store I was in contact with did not receive it today in their shipments, so they said to check back again tomorrow. I asked them specifically if they were going to sell it early and they said "we will sell it as soon as we have it." So hopefully they live up to that.

I called a different Target and they said they didn't have it either but they said to come on the 9th to get it. They said they could not sell it earlier than on that date.

I called a third Target and they said the same thing as the second store.

So pretty much I just have to wait until tomorrow and see what the first store says. If they get it in stock then I'll see if they actually sell it to me. It seems pretty promising though.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
My thoughts is ****! lol i have 2 Pre-orders but i still could get it tomorrow if this is true i'm gonna look into it see what happens!

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
Availability :
This title will be released on March 9, 2008. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives
This item is available online, but is not available in stores.

Prices, promotions, styles and availability may vary by store and online

That is what it says on there online store! so ya

Loghog

Smash Rookie
this thread will cost me a trip to target tomorrow, lets hope for the best

gcguest

Smash Apprentice
Don't get to excited kiddies, its probally some clueless guy in the Electronic department. The game isnt even there yet probally.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Well the online store obviously wouldn't sell it early, that's a given. I'm not saying Target is endorsing this, but I'm just saying it's possible with the right person working in electronics.

As for the person I spoke to being a ****** or something, he apparantely works in electronics like 5 days a week, so he can't be THAT stupid. We'll see though. Like I said I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that Target has register locks for Brawl just like Walmart does, so even if he gives it to you, you won't be buying it.

gcguest

Smash Apprentice
Well the online store obviously wouldn't sell it early, that's a given. I'm not saying Target is endorsing this, but I'm just saying it's possible with the right person working in electronics.

As for the person I spoke to being a ****** or something, he apparantely works in electronics like 5 days a week, so he can't be THAT stupid. We'll see though. Like I said I'll know for sure tomorrow.
Your right, anything can happen with anyone. But I bet a lot of money that they don't even have there shipment of games yet, places won't start getting them until friday. Maybe thursday at the earliest.
But if he did sell you a copy, wow good job and what a friggin idiot!

gcguest

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that Target has register locks for Brawl just like Walmart does, so even if he gives it to you, you won't be buying it.
Another solid point. The game won't even ring it, a error message will show up on there computer saying " Do not sell to March 9/08, nice try idiot"

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I heard specifically on these forums from other people in another thread about early releases that Target did NOT have the same type of computer system as Wal-Mart. Whether that's right I don't know. All I know is if I get Brawl tomorrow I will be a very happy dude and I'll let you all know how it is. :p

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I know for a fact Nintendo didn't ship until today.
That may be true. If not oh well but we shall see. But I also know that there's some guy on YouTube who already has the US version, so somehow people are able to get it. I'm not saying I'm going to get it for sure, I'm just saying that it's pretty cool that I have a chance. If you were there tonight I seriously doubt you'd just blow off what the guy said. You'd see if you could get it tomorrow just like I am going to.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I work at Target, and gcguest is correct. The computers there will prevent anything with a street date from being sold before the proper time. =/

Drat though...It would be awesome if I could convince somebody there to let me have a copy as long as I give them the money for it, and then they just "sell" it come March 9th. Of course that's provided my store even has copies.

But eh, only a few more days. I'll just wait it out.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I work at Target, and gcguest is correct. The computers there will prevent anything with a street date from being sold before the proper time. =/

Drat though...It would be awesome if I could convince somebody there to let me have a copy as long as I give them the money for it, and then they just "sell" it come March 9th. Of course that's provided my store even has copies.

But eh, only a few more days. I'll just wait it out.
Well that is unfortunate. Oh well. Like I said it would've been a great little treat but I guess it's not to be...

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
I have been to Target several times and they were selling games early. I believe that those instances were special offers given to Target to release games early, though.

And shipments from Nintendo have been received at major retailers since last week. How else did Sears and various stores in other countries break the street date? And also there has been evidence that Wal-Mart has gotten their displays and stock, as well as many Gamespots having their displays up.

Red Wolf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4527-8509-1299
That would be cool if it was true that brawl came out tommarow at target early...I give em a ring tommarow

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
I hope something like that can happen with me. I don't know anyone that works at the store, but maybe an unknowing employee can hook me up. Also, I heard that video stores might get it early. I might check that out too.

Milk!

Smash Rookie
I have doubts that you'll get the game, but that doesn't mean I'll wish you an ill fate!

Good luck bro, I hope you get it. And you GOTTA post pics of the inside and everything.
And tell us what you think of it.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
I'm pretty positive stores got their copies today. Gamestop said they'd be getting theirs on the 4th. I work at Costco, hopefully we got ours in...
if we did, i know a trick to get mine regardless if there is a block...tee hee. And no i don't mean stealing it.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I think the employee was most likely referring to Target getting their shipments in tomorrow. From what I've heard, gamestop is supposed to be getting theirs on the 4th or the 5th, which would coincide with Target's shipment date. I think the guy is just assuming they'll be able to sell them just because they have the shipment. I don't think he knows the actual street date.

Basmothel

Smash Cadet
I think the employee was most likely referring to Target getting their shipments in tomorrow. From what I've heard, gamestop is supposed to be getting theirs on the 4th or the 5th, which would coincide with Target's shipment date. I think the guy is just assuming they'll be able to sell them just because they have the shipment. I don't think he knows the actual street date.
That actually does make the most sense. And with that, I would still advise checking it out, as some employees just don't read things like "Don't sell this until ___." or "Don't return this to store."

bl2i4n

Smash Rookie
i called my local target and he had to check the booklets on the release he said FEB 8th and then corrected himself and said MAR 8th but he didn't sound like he knew what he was doing, i also called walmart and an unpleasant person answered me in a rude tone saying "i have no info on brawl" and i asked will you put your demos out soon ( they had galaxy demos on the relaese of SMG) then he replied "i have no info on brawl".:urg: i had hope in these stores to get the game early guess not

Top Bottom