• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cruel Brawl Strategy Discussion

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Well, a lot of people have been having problems with getting 10 KO's in Cruel Brawl and wasting a gold hammer on it's box. Here you can talk about strategies that work for you to help other people who can't seem to do it, questions, and comments related to Cruel Brawl.

Here is the way that works for me that has gotten me 17 kills: Select Kirby, Pit, Meta Knight, or any other character that has more than 2 normal jumps (Preferably Kirby). Now run over to the edge and jump off...go down and then away from the stage and back up. Normally this knocks out 1-3 cruel alloys by tempting them to meteor smash you at while near the bottom even though they don't have a third jump (With the exception of the green alloy). Once you have done this and gotten back up run to the other side of the stage and repeat.

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
I just completed Cruel Brawl with Lucas - 19KOs before I got knocked off.

EDIT: Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuEn9lQxsbA

The strategy I used was to generally get the Alloys bunched near the corners, at which point I would PK Thunder right into them. Since Lucas' Thunder kinda sucks in baddies if they're caught dead-center, I'd follow up my PK attack with various ground-A smash attacks to continue racking up damage and keep them knocked off the stage. Since the Alloys can't grab ledges, making sure they exhaust their jumps (notably the green and blue ones since they can recover from a far distance) is critical.

Avoiding their recoveries when on the ground is also critical, as well as avoiding getting grabbed, as a grab from them = insta-death.

~Old Man Nintendo

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
The Kirby method is what I used, but it still wasn't easy. Kirby's knockback is terrible. If you can do it legit, more power to you.

Jerm~

Smash Rookie
I got 4 with Dedede. Alloys have a strong exterior, dumb squishy interior though. They like eating Dedede's fsmash.

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
I did the Jiggs method, where you float and bait, cause them to SD, get to the other edge, repeat blah blah. I had 12 KO's with it. I looked up a video of it. I saved my hammer. :D

Nakamaru

Smash Master
I grabbed the ledge with ganon, jump - Uair, then if you get hit recovery correctly you can hit anyone by the ledge with the end of his up-b. Its way to time consuming but it works if you are patient.

MasterKoga

Smash Cadet
I got 11 with ganondorf. Here's how...

Get on the ledge, then jump off and back on
(they should all be in a cluster on the edge)

do your ledge attack
(1 or 2 might get knocked off)

spike them then return with your up+b

continue until you get ten, where you jump off and suicide one of them with your side+b

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
I used Ike. 14 kills. At the very start, head left a little and you can hit all three with a fsmash. It's a bit of improvision, but you get onto the ledge, and ledge hop a fair into an aether. And after an aether, if you get them all caught in the sword, you can follow up with a fsmash. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I have a video, but it's not up. I'll try to get one up soon.

skopkin

Smash Rookie
i am having a lot of trouble getting the 10 kills. i have tried every strategy that has been mentioned (at least 10 times each) and none of them worked. i have tried all versions of making them kill themselves, the ike/kirby UpB thing, and even the ganon UpB technique.

i was hoping that someone might have another way to do it (because i only have a few challenges left to do and i really want to get them done).

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
i am having a lot of trouble getting the 10 kills. i have tried every strategy that has been mentioned (at least 10 times each) and none of them worked. i have tried all versions of making them kill themselves, the ike/kirby UpB thing, and even the ganon UpB technique.
sorry to break the news to ya, but 10 times is not a lot :laugh:.

I'll provide my strategy with Dedede, but it's easier said than done =\.

Go straight to the edge drop off the ledge, jump, use Uair while holding the direction of where the center is, then use the next jump(s) to get back on the ledge. In the event that you end up above them, use Up-B. It's more of a last resort, but it does spike them, or at least hit them really hard.

Keep in mind, this idea took me quite a few tries. I can post the vid of it, but the qualily would be pretty bad =\.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
11 kos! : Squirtle guide!!

I never play this modes, but today a friend of mine dare me to do at least 5 of them... he did 8, so i said why not?. Of course i noticed this guys are much tougher than the melee ones. After failing miserably with marth, i chose poke trainer and after failing with both ivy and char... i found squirtie is the guy.

This method, while is not as safe as the kirby one and the others.... is definitely IMO the funniest of them.... i call it "Footstool gallore" lol. Its pretty easy!.

Select squirt, and as far as you can move..go right away to the ledge and just fall. By this time the alloys must be going after you. The trick here is to waterfall and try to sweetspot the ledge, as far as u notice the invincibility frames...do a ledge drop(pressing back and not down) and RIGHT AWAY use your jump and go away from the stage. After this, just time right ur waterfall and aim to the ledge again. Rinse and repeat.
What this will cause?, well since all the alloys will jump out and be around the edge, they will end a lot of times below you when u use the jump after doing the ledge drop.
This will cause A LOT of footstools jumps. I warn you, its a mess because squirt is so small, that is sometimes tricky to find him when he grabs the ledge and all the alloys are around you.
Some of the alloys will die with the footstool, while other will strive to survive and made it back... with exception of the kirby one, which have a lot of jumps, but will eventually die.

Sometimes ull get hitted back onto the stage..... when this happens just go to the other side of the stage and repeat the process.

The max i got was 11 KOs. Its not a lot but if you are in a hurry and want to end that thing fast.. this is the methos to go!. Ull get killed a lot but ull notice how easy it is to gimp them.

You can thank me later ;)

Mechowa

Smash Rookie
Here's a fairly easy strategy I used with Ike to get 5 KO's. Turns out that I got 10 the same turn I reached 5 (I had no idea there was a 10 trophy at the time). I think I only had to attempt this 3 or 4 times.

Run to the ledge and grab it. Fall off, jump back (slightly), and Up+B to rise slightly above the top of the ledge (grabbing onto it of course. do NOT land on the stage). Most of the time the alloys will fall off to get you and your Up+B will spike them. Occasionally a green alloy will get caught but for some odd reason his jumps will still fail his recovery attempt as he is caught under the platform.

Racking up kills is quick and most deaths come from suiciding (sometimes he just doesn't want to grab that ledge).

hectichobo

Smash Ace
^dint go under the stage.... i ment go inder the ground of it not literally under it... and use kirby

skopkin

Smash Rookie
I FINALLY DID IT !:bee:!:bee:!:bee:!!!!!!

I GOT 12 KILLS WITH JIGGLYPUFF !!!!!!

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I used Samus. Grab the ledge (either side), press back to fall off (back, not down), go down a fair ways, then mid-air jump to a down-air (spike, in case some jump below you), then up-b immediately to the ledge. Repeat until all are dead.

Details:

Pressing back causes the up-b to go directly to the ledge if everything else is done properly, while down sends you into the bottom of the stage to a suicide.

the height you should be for the mid-air jump should be when you begin to dis-appear from the screen. Immediately after mid-air jumping, do a down-air. Then press up and mash the b button for an up-b.

I know it's a little poorly explained, but I managed to get 13 kills before doing a side-b by accident :p

Zevox

Smash Lord
I just completed Cruel Brawl with Lucas - 19KOs before I got knocked off.

EDIT: Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuEn9lQxsbA

The strategy I used was to generally get the Alloys bunched near the corners, at which point I would PK Thunder right into them. Since Lucas' Thunder kinda sucks in baddies if they're caught dead-center, I'd follow up my PK attack with various ground-A smash attacks to continue racking up damage and keep them knocked off the stage. Since the Alloys can't grab ledges, making sure they exhaust their jumps (notably the green and blue ones since they can recover from a far distance) is critical.

Avoiding their recoveries when on the ground is also critical, as well as avoiding getting grabbed, as a grab from them = insta-death.

~Old Man Nintendo
I used this technique today, and after quite a few tries, got 10 exactly. I plan to go back to it to try and get a higher score later, as Lucas is my main and this is wonderful practice for his PK Thunder Missile, and for hit-and-run tactics in general.

Zevox

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
This is the best way to do. I I think anyway...

Be pikachu, go to any edge on the stage. Press down on the control stick, jump once, use Thunder, and use B-up (I forgot the name) to get back to the ledge. I was able to get 16 KOs easily (I kinda stopped to make sure I wasn't going over 3 minutes so I could send a replay) I works really well and is pretty simple.

BananaX

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I just got 17. I'll probably upload the replay a little later.

Here's how I did it:
(Method borrowed from Youtube User "Ifo", and altered)
Play as Fox.
Go to the ledge, and go fairly far down.
Right before you die, use Firefox into the SIDE OF THE LEDGE.
What this should do is slide you up the battlefield to the ledge. Confusing, I know, but it was in Melee.
Jump back, rinse, repeat.

It should take at least a few tries to get it down, but once it does, it seems to work. It's almost like there are invincibility frames. Video later.

D

Deleted member

Got it with Pit by just jumping off and such... I got it with Wolf too, by using the "fake ledge grab" technique... if you use Wolf's Side B so that he is in between grabbing the ledge and landing on the level, you will drop without doing either... you get your jump back, and you can do it again... You should be aiming for the highest point possible on the ledge...

Definitely gonna try Jiggs, even though I got it already lol

footbagjames

Smash Rookie
I just got 11 with the kirby method. I think it's the easiest to use an the least time consuming. I'm never doing cruel brawl again.

Took me about half an hour to get it.

Bait and sweetspot his up B, takes a little time to get used to the positioning.

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
[shameless bump]

I do think this should be on the first page, since landing 10KOs is a pain in the butt for most.

~Old Man Nintendo

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur can work well. Basically, jump off the edge and vine whip the ledge. The reason you want to vine whip is because you'll be low, and they won't attempt to spike you. Keep doing this, jumping far away from the ledge(baiting them out) and then vine whipping the ledge. Since you're hanging on, they won't be able to grab on, and won't be able to force you off either. Remember, the lower the better. It takes practice, but it worked for me.

WolFlash

Smash Cadet
I used the Ganondorf edge grab to edge attack to dair strategy but i find it still works the same with wolf,falco and even fox to a lesser extent.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
well, since it got bumped, I guess I can post.:)

Too bad the Falco ForwardB doesn't spike anymore, LOL.;)

Honto-E-Lawl

Smash Journeyman
i got 20 my marth....
using the same strat as MRTW113....but i did falling Uairs...then UP B....
sometimes it sets em up for a dair...

haha In co-op me and my friend's record WITHOUT ledge gimping was 9 hahaha...we basically Fsmash spammed with wolf...lol we could have probably done more but we both had to go....XD

cj0114

Smash Cadet
The strategy I used works with either Ike or Kirby but it's more effective with Ike because of his sheer power and weight. Hang at the edge, wait until foes get to the edge, quickly drop and use Aether/Final Cutter. You'll grab back on the edge and anyone hit is flung off the stage. Continue doing this until you get what you need. I got hit a couple of times but the hit wasn't powerful enough to KO me.

Top Bottom