• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critiques please

gono798

Smash Rookie
Hi Ive been constantly trying to better my marth, and I have improved a bit since my crew leader started showing me a few tricks to the game, but I find myself doing a LOT of horrible habits, and so I would like for you guys to tell me if theres anything I can do better please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TweDEGGm-rw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_gSWDWuQPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny8mI3HOyKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYtAIzfEr7A

On the doc vid, I was actually getting pretty frustrated trying to get into doc's range, any approach tips are much appreciated. Also against falcons what is the best way to DI, i seem to get uair kneed alot ~_~. Thanks in advanced for the help.

Toya

Smash Apprentice
For the first match, I'll say that you should try to incorporate the Dtilt into your edgeguarding. One of the KOs you tried to get with the Fsmash would have been a kill if you hit with the tilt. Other than that, try to incorporate a bit of approaching to backward wavedashing to either bait out a Fsmash or some other move, for a following wavedash to grab or Fsmash. Of course, that's just advice for baiting a Marth into smashing, but it's still nice to practice. As many might simply do the A slash(es) to counter the approach, you can use it for when they don't. It's all about circumstance.

Your first death was due to mistiming. Practice your edge slashing. Your opponent could have been killed on his third life when you strike him off the left side if you had wavedashed into an Fsmash. That's something to work on.

Finally, good spacing throughout, and excellent final kill.

Second match. I'm not sure if that second life suicide was from an attempted wavedash that went wrong, but try not to do it to often. (speaking jokingly) Also, against Peach, try to follow up your forward throws at low percent with another running throw forward, and if they DI away, wavedash and Tipper. This is handy when she is at higher percents.

To close, you used your air game well to keep Peach unable to attack you on the ground. Especially since the player hardly used Turnips. Their mistake.

Third match. Not much to say here, other than to practice your edge spikes, and practice Fairing Fox while he's recovering. I was also puzzled why you didn't jump and Uair of Nair Fox on his last life after the throw, but rather air dodged. Other than that...your opponent got wrecked.

Fourth match. Seems you have a bit of trouble with Doctor Mario. You seem to like to back throw him, which is a laggy throw and lets him jump after the DI. At low percents, up throw and let him feel the tilts and Uairs. Against pills (you were doing this well early, but a mistake cost you a lot of damage, so just work on it), Fair them if you see you can't get punished for it, or jump back and wait for a hole to charge in and slash or throw. If you want to play a patience game, Fair them and DI back or just jump back or wavedash away until he gets in close, then punish him. Other than that, work on your shield throw spacing. You messed up a few times with it.

Also, wavedashing away is always a better option than trying to roll behind them.

Finally, you seemed addicted to doing Dair against Doc. Add some more Nairs into your game or you'll get predictable in the air.

All in all you did well. Just work on those things.

Against Falcon, Dair to Knee is pretty hard to get out of. It has a habit of making you stick in the air to get kneed. I would say either avoid getting hit entirely or if you know you can't avoid, jump, get hit into the ground and tech or roll appropriately. The best DI I would say depends on the stage and where you are, but don't DI down from the hit. You'll hover and get kneed. A good option is to try and DI behind them.

Well, that's it from me. Good smashing.

Andrew

SinceEternity

Smash Cadet
I only watched the first match, but yes DI fthrows away or down... and also, try to follow up on your combos more. It seems like often you like to just stop moving and just fmsash when they come. anyways, i'm sure someone else will give a more detailed critique later >_>

gono798

Smash Rookie
Sorry haven't checked the boards for a few days, but thanks for the tip I didn't know that you could DI the throws down. I didnt want to DI the throws away because i didnt want to get forward thrown -> F-smash tip though. Not realy too sure how to get around that, other than not get grabbed lol.

SinceEternity

Smash Cadet
if I remember correctly, you should DI away + a little up to avoid the fsmash tip, you will only get fsmash tipped when you di away + down or maybe even away(it's been a while since I got fsmash tipped from DIing away but I don't play marth dittos very often >_>)

Top Bottom