• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique thread. Come in and ask for advice.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ok I have seen this thread before. Yet I think since we have newer players, this should be put in place for those looking to improve even further, so that there is a higher chance of winning as a town in general.

I wouldn't mind one. I still have the question problem but I try to post less and not distract towns as much. I'm always always looking to improve. :cool:

Constructive criticism, pro's and cons. :p

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Cons include asking a lot of questions (most of which never appear to be directly correlated with scum hunting. More like Ranmaru hunting.) Usually never fully explains his reads and seems to go more on gut/feeling most of the time rather than a logic based route. Isn't very great at pushing wagons because there's a distinct lack of persuasion skill. This is probably due to him not explaining his reads or him not being thoroughly convincing with them. Not a super town leader and usually not the spearhead for any particular wagon. Definitely a more passive player as either alignment in terms of progressing the game forward.

Pros include being Ranmaru, being usually easy to read, uh...someone can help me out here. You're great at getting discussion going at times because you generally attract a lot of attention to yourself with your play style/reads. Definitely love TownMaru when I have him because he isn't really a sheep per se from what I've seen, so he always offers something new to the table.

Edit: I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm missing regarding pros and cons. Maybe we should designate one person for everyone to give pros/cons on for X amount of time, or something like that so that there are no stones unturned regarding giving proper analysis on a particular player.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I think you have poor dress sense.

what is this a freaking forum game?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I seriously don't understand why that GIF was made or what its intentions are for.

Also, that card was seriously broken when Tsukiyomi Chaos was a legal deck.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
All i have to say on bardull is that as town it will be clear by his interactions with other slots throughout the entirety of the game.

One tip from me might be to tone it down when you land town, for example in Utrik'd claiming the way you did , especially after orbo was gone made me feel like you would be soon to go, which would have been a shame.

I don't remember too too much about your scum game that i would suggest improving on. And i don't feel like searching the archives for JTB's newbie right now.
Not to mention as scum i constantly die and am in no real position to comment on how to play it more effectively.

Also i'm still salty J killed me in that, the only thing that satiates me is the fact that i nailed serin / shotty scum

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Pros

- Active
- Open about his thoughts
- Cooperative most of the time, a good listener

Cons

- Too Active at some intervals, floods the thread a lot and should learn to prioritize himself.
- Still relies on Gambits

My only advice to you is to think about what you post before you actually post it. You may be an open player, but you really just scatter yourself around the thread and don't really have any direction of what you're going to do. I think your openness makes it easy for you to town-tell but really town-telling shouldn't be a priority as much as it should just come naturally. Never do something just because you feel like you have to, it's not your job.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You're really good at looking town when you need to be, as of recent I haven't seen you get lynched as town doing something scummy at all.

As mafia you sometimes struggle to make yourself look like town with the intent that gets revealed. Though I will say in Disney you played the best of the scum team til the Indy got himself killed on his claim with the mo confirmed information on accident. If you repeat things like that then you will be a much better player.

Sometimes you also get frustrated by the looks of it and it hits your play when it happens.

Overall you are solid play wise but there are some touch ups you can do.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Ruy's the one person I can always read perfectly. You play well, and know what you are doing. If anything, the drunk posting is hilarious to read.

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It looks like I was with you once in disney sing-a-long mafia. So you were a bit insincere, whether serious or not, but played decently overall. You should work on putting more beef on your evaluations when necessary and put up a good town show by pointing out more dislikes and interests rather than plain reads.

You're doing well, so keep at it.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I remember one time we had this thread and I meant to have long a long Mafia related conversation with Swiss and that never happened .. love you though boo

:phone:

Orboknown

Smash Hero
you gambit a lot, unnecessarily.
you post too much at times, and pinball from one idea to another without any viable trace for doing so.
you also used to post a hella lot of walls, but you're better on that.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
wow, i feel like punching a wall for not being criticized.

Orbo, you should try to put more beef on your posts to make up for the inactivity. Your questionings are good, but you're kind of missing out on doing so much more depending on your potential. You can always try to show it in a minigame thread since it's lax and more quick. I think it will help you improve further more.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
thanks vinyl.
activity isn't my choice. i don't have comp access a lot at home, so that narrows down the mafia time a lot.

town you, generally is slower in getting things through, but you are patient and work with people. As time goes on, you feel more obvtown, at least to me.

scumyou, gets aggro on random slots out of nowhere/for things others don't see. you've gotten a lot better since we first played together though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is very helpful thank-you! <3
Constantly disappears from games, doesn't read, then makes snap judgements based on a bias accumulated from playing games with those people years ago. If he does not know those people, he considers them bad by default.

Doesn't send in night actions and gets modkilled for inactivity as a hydra. >:[

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Constantly disappears from games, doesn't read, then makes snap judgements based on a bias accumulated from playing games with those people years ago. If he does not know those people, he considers them bad by default.

Thinks he's Kefka

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord

Gambits are far too simple. Needs to go a couple levels deeper into the wifom of predicting what people do and baiting them accordingly. :awesome:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Tunneling never "works" because it suggests inherently flawed judgment and consideration of the game. If tunneling ever "works", it's an accident. You're not tunneling if you are right, and your reasons are good, and they die. You're just getting the job done.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Tunneling never "works" because it suggests inherently flawed judgment and consideration of the game. If tunneling ever "works", it's an accident. You're not tunneling if you are right, and your reasons are good, and they die. You're just getting the job done.
This. I don't tunnel with a discrete reason, I tunnel because I want a player dead. While that may require me to present a case or some definitive logic, it's still a tunnel and I'm only doing it because of already said reasons.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
....wha

I just said that tunneling doesn't 'work' because it's not tunneling if you're right and your points are good and they die, so why are you agreeing with me and then going on to say "I tunnel in X and Y scenarios"? I actually don't understand your point with that post in general, but it can't be as agreeable as you seem to think it is given the gist of it.

Though, I need to amend my point. Sometimes it is tunneling, if for example you're pushing a mafia lynch but the marker has everybody marked except you and there is information available to allow you to deduce this. And other such "we're getting close to 1v1v1 here" scenarios. Tunneling is all about pursuing your goal to the exclusion of all else, including logical and stronger/higher priority goals, and just not being receptive to this fact or willing to compromise.

If those conditions aren't present, and you're right, and you make 'em dead, though... not tunneling. Just gettin' **** done.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Tunneling is essentially when you're going for someone on something that isn't a solid premise, is what EE is trying to say. If you go for someone on a solid premise, then it isn't necessarily tunneling, rather it's successful scum hunting.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Nothing wrong with using smileys. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Evil Eye I miss you in mafia games.
Well as much as I hear this from people you're near the top of the list of people I never expected to hear it from haha

thanks I guess bro

(not asking for critique, next poster should pretend I never posted and just take it for granted everytime I post in this thread)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Kevmo is Kevmo.
What more need be said.
Hmm. Change your avatar, for starters. Avatar is important in how we see you. I think OS talked about it in PM64. And I don't like your avatar lol.

Shorten your name to Rake. We know you are Rake. Looks nicer that way methinks.

Use less bold. I think bold is meant to emphasize a phrase and it is sorta annoying to see all your statements in bold. Normal red is fine to me, but try out different colors because there ARE different ones that look nice. Though red is fine cuz it's my fave color.

I think you fixed the ' thing, if you didn't, try to fix it if possible. Not a priority though, but may help.

About the pinballing from idea to idea, at least try to let something play out and try not to be too impulsive. Really I don't think you'll stop posting frequently but once you find out what is really important in scumhunting I'm sure you won't post as much. I don't know why but now I find it hard to post alot. Heh. I guess you should also be re-evaluating what exactly you are looking for. I'm talking town mindset here, and basically you have to look at what scumtells you are looking at. You already know what scumtells you yourself have committed, so you may want to look for those. Don't just look for those you find on a wiki. :3 Try to read a game and look at why scum did what they did and you may be able to understand why they scumtelled. Do understand that the scum most likely have seen that and will try to avoid committing those tells so look behind the truth of all truth truths.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well as much as I hear this from people you're near the top of the list of people I never expected to hear it from haha

thanks I guess bro

(not asking for critique, next poster should pretend I never posted and just take it for granted everytime I post in this thread)
Not too many people use logic anymore. Or words. Just bluster and nonstop aggression and hoping that things work out due to sheer numbers. The idea that as town if they just lynch everyone they consider bad then it'll all work out.

I dislike this

BarDulL

Town Vampire
This was almost as good as the tier list discussion. :awesome:

#HBC | ZoZo #HBC | ZoZo

(Ok I lied, nothing is anywhere near as good as the tier list discussion, I just wanted to bring it up for old time's sake.)

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
In all seriousness, I feel like your play style has changed a lot Ran. It's more focused and feels a lot more on-point, and the questions you ask are usually good (basing this on what I saw in Masquerade Mafia).

I think the problem with critique threads (and the reason this one died) is that critiques are too raw and honesty can affect relations in a manner people aren't comfortable with. And it's public, so it's possible everyone can just get put on blast and blah blah blah.

But I think if everyone can come to terms with honest critiques then maybe it can work. *shrugz*

Last edited:
Top Bottom