• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Olimar!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Fsmash is more as a spacing too than a punishing tool. Don't try to use it to punish if the opponent is really close. Dsmash, Usmash, Fair, grab are all better options.

While shielding is good, don't sit in it for too long. Olimar has mediocre tools after a shield drop. His moves aren't the fastest, and have bad priority. When you're in a shield, constantly look for ways to get away from the opponent, it's important. While rolling is bad, doing it at times can be beneficial, if not predicted, and when there are no other options.

You aren't camping the falco. Throw Pikmin from the ground, and make him come to you. Don't dash grab with Olimar, it's not very good. Dash Grab is a punishing tool at best. It comes out extremely slow, doesn't have as much range as a regular grab, is really laggy, and leaves you right next to your opponent which is not where you want to be.

You're good at baiting, especially when the opponent is landing. Keep it up, make sure you know all of your punishing options, though.

So yeah, pikmin toss a lot more. Start using fair more often. Other than that you're really not bad, tbh :O

I'll see if there's anything else I can think to say for critique. Welcome to the Oli Boards!

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Thanks for the tips. :D I see what you mean about Fsmash up close. Are you sure that it's safe to grab when Falco is really close? I tend to get jabbed out of it a lot. D smash seems a bit laggy if it doesn't hit. Hopefully up smash and a retreating fair will be safe.

I'm still not too sure about rolling though. :/ When Kismet did a short hop behind me, I put my shield up, expecting an aerial. If I rolled instead of being shield poked, i'm not too sure if that would've save me due to Olimar's short and laggy roll. :/

Reasons why I didn't camp:
1st phase is way too small to camp
I didn't have the percent lead. (Should I still camp anyway)
I don't have a good grasp of when it's safe to camp Falco. ( If i'm too far, my pikmin get reflected back and there's too much distance to punish.)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The trick to camping, for most people, is to not always run around and spam and stuff. If you aren't coming to your opponent, they will have to come to you. Falco's approaches on Olimar are sub par, and it's oftentimes easy to take advantage of it. He runs into grabs, fsmash, and other traps pretty well. When you camp falco, throw the pikmin from the ground. If he tries to reflect a pikmin back at you, go in for the punish. Reflector's laggy.

Grab isn't a great option if you're too close to the opponent. In that case, you have better options, most of the time. Grab and Fsmash are interchangeable, and fit into similar situations, so forget what I said about grab there lol.

Dsmash you want to use if you know it's going to connect.

Just because a stage is small, doesn't mean you can't camp it. The first phase is actually really good for camping, tbh. You'll need to learn how to adapt to the slants of the stage and different heights (there's a different way to camp if you have the high ground, and another if you have the low ground), and you'll want to get use to taking advantage of the platforms above you to make it harder for the opponent to get in.

And yeah, you don't need the percent lead. If you rush in recklessly, you're going to fall farther behind regardless. Just be patient.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I have a few suggestions I can give that are good for any Olimar :)

1. At :18 you grabbed Falco, dthrew, and went immediately for another grab. Problem is, he already had a high enough percentage to DI far enough out of the way to avoid the second grab. Then, after whiffing the second grab, you went for the third, and that gave him enough time to punish. I love chain throwing the spacies, but once they get some damage on them it's much better to go for the dthrow->fair instead.

2. Speaking of grabs, you should try to implement pivot grabbing. It's one of Olimar's best tools and I didn't see you use it all; you'd be surprised how a well timed pivot grab can shift momentum in your favor.

3. At :40 it seems like you predicted Falco's Phantasm (that's what it's called, right? lol) and decided to face the other way, shield it, and go for a dash grab afterwards. A much better option would have been to face him, utilt, and followup with whatever you like; in case you didn't know, utilt clashes with Phantasm, leaving you with almost a guaranteed followup afterwards if you act quickly. Utilt to usmash is my personal favorite :D

4. When Falco spikes you, tether immediately. It's a meteor cancel iirc, and it's your best bet to regrab the edge before he hogs it from you. It JUST MIGHT save your life someday. Or at least a stock :)

5. At 2:35 you predicted Falco's Phatasm and hit him with a yellow usmash when he did it. This isn't a critique, I just wanted to say "F**K YEA!"

That's all :)

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Thanks for the tips and sorry for the late reply. :O

If you noticed, he airdodged immediately after one d throw, I meant to punish the airdodge, but I couldn't turn around lol.

Now that I look at it a bit more, I need to do it a bit more. :O Thanks.

I'll look into utilt a bit more too.

I'm too afraid to try that lol. He has the cg down so well that I don't even bother trying to jump out. I try to whistle his dair first and if that fails, I use my jump instead. What percent does Falco's dair knock back become too strong to metor cancel it?

Yeah I love it when a Falco phantasms. :D It's gotten to the point where I just react to it sometimes to lol. (I.e the running grab right after he did a phantasm)

Btw, what follow ups are guaranteed after a nair?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
As for the percent where you can't use tether to meteor cancel, I'm not sure; I just can't remember a time when it hasn't worked for me.

There's aren't any GUARANTEED followups out of nair since it can be DIed out of, but a lot of the time you can follow up with a usmash, or a dsmash if they're close enough to the ground.

Top Bottom