• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Criticisms of Gen VI

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Complaining about the story is like complaining about graphics: unless it's really bad or really good, it honestly shouldn't matter that much. Either way, I think it's time to send out my criticisms.

- Lack of new Pokémon: Now, while quality is more important than quantity, it's really disappointing that so far, we only have 72 new Pokemon in this generation. That said, they still are a major jump in quality than most of Gen 's Pokémon, so that's something.
- Mega Evolutions: It's not necessarily Megas themselves, it's who gets them. Charizard and Mewtwo did not by any means warrant two of them (heck, Mewtwo doesn't even need the one), some get the when they don't need it period (Garchomp, Rayquaza, Salamence, Mewtwo again), and others who do need them don't get one (Butterfree, Hypno, Mightyena, Dusknoir).
- The Kalos Region: The region itself is rather boring to explore. It's better than BW Unova, but it's not much of an improvement either. Most of the dungeons don't feel like challenges in the slightest.
- The difficulty: I already mentioned right above the dungeons were easy as hell, but the leaders sans Viola and Grant gave me no issues whatsoever, and they weren't much of threats either. The Exp. Share's not truly broken in XY, but in ORAS, that's another story (though it's f***ing amazing for post-game grinding in both games, which is a plus).
- Post-Game: This one's too obvious, and I should not have to explain.

:094:

Last edited:

DarkMatterGaming

Smash Rookie
I'm going to criticize the story since it's seriously five steps backwards from where we were; it really was that bad. There was no buildup, no suspense, Team Flare never seemed like an actual threat let alone a villainous team and all of that in one pot makes for a terrible story.

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
Kalos as a whole just feels uninteresting to me. Really the only place in the entire region that I remember was Lumiose City, if only for being the kinda sorta main hub type thing that was densely populated.
I mean in Unova there were things like an amusement park, a Pokémon-style hollywood, railway/airport towns, polluted port cities, places that either tried to stay one with nature or move towards the future, performers/sandwich stands on bridges and in the middle of the street, a giant underwater tunnel that you could see Pokémon through, etc.
And then I look at Kalos and really the only thing that I get from it is "Hey guys isn't this pretty"
I think what I'm getting at is while Kalos looks nice, it doesn't have much character.
And the NPCs ("rivals," gym leaders, Pokémon League members, Team Flare members) don't help it's case either. Honestly the only new character that I ever bothered caring about was Emma.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Kalos as a whole just feels uninteresting to me. Really the only place in the entire region that I remember was Lumiose City, if only for being the kinda sorta main hub type thing that was densely populated.
I mean in Unova there were things like an amusement park, a Pokémon-style hollywood, railway/airport towns, polluted port cities, places that either tried to stay one with nature or move towards the future,
I think what I'm getting at is while Kalos looks nice, it doesn't have much character.
Is it me or did you miss like most of Kalos? It has the things you listed in a way or another...
Railway: Luminouse City, Waterfall City(don't know English names)
polluted port cities: Not polluted, but the way you say it reminds me of the hidden village
hollywood: Luminouse had those Camerathingy you could do
Amusement Park: Skater park for one, ... swing set...
stay one with nature: Fairy Gym city with the giant tree.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Doesn't it feel like the tedious nature of generations 1-5 made the games better? Zubat caves, hard to get items and super rare pokemon. It gives an achieving feeling to me even grinding does. Also, this made me feel more involved with my team than the generation 6 games.

P.S. I know competitive pokemon is even more tedious but I'm talking about the main game.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Zubat caves, hard to get items and super rare pokemon. It gives an achieving feeling to me even grinding does. Also, this made me feel more involved with my team than the generation 6 games.

P.S. I know competitive pokemon is even more tedious but I'm talking about the main game.
I feel like this basically falls under the category of Gen VI criticisms so I'm just moving this post into that thread so we're not splitting the discussion.

Top Bottom