• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critical analytical extra-good video matchup thread

LanceStern

Smash Lord
A D3 player in my region says "When I see the Peach glide tossing turnips at me, I already know I'm going to win the match. It's a free grab"

Definitely something to watch for

Nicole

Smash Champion
That writeup from Trela seems infinitely helpful!

Anyways, here are some thoughts on the Olimar matchup:

- Playing this MU is really hard. It is frustrating. Olimar is one of the most mentally taxing characters to play against. However, if Peach is playing correctly, I don't see how she will lose. It's a strange comparison, but I think of it like Peach v. Snake, except Peach is Snake and Olimar is Peach. Olimar can hit her a ton, he can rack crazy damage, and he can annoy her forever. But ultimately, Peach has too many advantages against him, and he simply will not be able to win.

- This seems like a matchup where you need to be aggressive, approach, and pressure constantly. But it isn't. You have to be so patient against Olimar. Once you get in and get a hit on him, you can **** him. But you can't force that first hit, or you will take a million damage and maybe get killed.

-Olimar has an answer to everything Peach can do onstage. It is offstage where she truly shines against him. Make that your goal. Get him offstage and don't let him back. He has a hard time just getting off the edge.

I'll critique myself later C :

NearZzz

Smash Lord
That writeup from Trela seems infinitely helpful!

Anyways, here are some thoughts on the Olimar matchup:

- Playing this MU is really hard. It is frustrating. Olimar is one of the most mentally taxing characters to play against. However, if Peach is playing correctly, I don't see how she will lose. It's a strange comparison, but I think of it like Peach v. Snake, except Peach is Snake and Olimar is Peach. Olimar can hit her a ton, he can rack crazy damage, and he can annoy her forever. But ultimately, Peach has too many advantages against him, and he simply will not be able to win.

- This seems like a matchup where you need to be aggressive, approach, and pressure constantly. But it isn't. You have to be so patient against Olimar. Once you get in and get a hit on him, you can **** him. But you can't force that first hit, or you will take a million damage and maybe get killed.

-Olimar has an answer to everything Peach can do onstage. It is offstage where she truly shines against him. Make that your goal. Get him offstage and don't let him back. He has a hard time just getting off the edge.

I'll critique myself later C :
I feel as if you should all up in olimars face not giving him room to breath ever. Nearly all the olimars i've played just hide in their shield when i get close to them, which leads into a free grab for me most of the time. i think that if you try to be patient, they will just camp you until they obtain the lead again.

like just get to them.They will hide in their shield so grab them and put them offstage or in the air above you.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I actually like the Olimar matchup a lot. I get to practice it here in my hometown, granted, not with the same caliber players, but it's practice nonetheless.

It was just enough to help me beat Zori in bracket at WHOBO 3. Peach should definitely win in this matchup.

The most important things in the matchup:
-Keep pressure on Olimar
-Cover his rolls after pressuring his shield (downsmash, fair, etc.)
-Avoiding upsmash
-Staying out of his grab range
-Know how to camp back
-Strong offstage game

Stages to ban:
Definitely ban Delfino.
Then Halberd or FD, depending on how comfortable you are.
I personally like Battlefield as the neutral starter lol.

Stages to counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium has always helped me in matchup. That's where I took Zori Game 3 in our set. Won pretty solidly and had plenty of chances to pull good turnips and I got a stitchface which gave me the momentum. I also camp pretty hard with the windmill stage change. The two platforms in neutral position really help with camping and pressure.
Frigate is good if they don't ban it.

I'm sure there is more I could say.

I will get more specific later when it comes to Nicole's video, since she does make a few mistakes. But all of us do so it's ok :p

Also!! Here is a **** video of me double fisting my friend's Olimar.

Silly Kyle :peach: vs. Jane :olimar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taY6RV2Su2U

Cook

Smash Master
^I wouldn't take Olimar to Frigate. He gets extra purples and yellows, which are helpful (mostly the purples), and the second transformation is really good for him against Peach, imo. Yeah, the first transformation can suck, but it can also suck for Peach.

Also, I was kind of trying to play like I figure most Olimars would be playing the matchup (although I was doing more running toward Peach than most people would do) so I wasn't really using n-air at all, but you guys should probably be aware that Olimar's n-air can beat Peach's b-air and even her n-air, so if the Olimar you're playing knows that then it won't be as easy for you to b-air wall him. Basically, Olimar's n-air has really good priority, but during most of the move the disjointed hitbox is small so at best he will just trade hits with Peach, which is of course to Peach's advantage because one hit from Olimar's n-air is like 3% or something. However, on the last hit of his n-air the hitbox is huge, so it has enough range to actually beat out Peach's moves while protecting him. I'm not exactly sure how to consistently beat Peach's n-air with it, but I know that it beats b-air pretty reliably if Olimar spaces it so that Peach's *** doesn't reach his body. But like I said, I don't think Olimar players usually know about this, so b-air is usually an extremely safe move so long as you keep your float; don't just b-air his shield and land!

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼

Nicole

Smash Champion
yeah what ill said kyle.

its great that you can **** everyone but it doesn't really help us, because it doesnt show us what the other character can actually do against peach, and therefore doesnt give us anything to learn from. i would like to put up some videos of you. if you have any from whobo i'd be happy to put them up.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztqz-xgW7ZA

I just found it, didn't know it was up.

It's old-ish and I do some things a lot differently now but lets have at it.

I think this was Whobo and during that time I was getting a little better at the MU but like I always had lots of trouble if MK was in front of me and I'd try to beat him on the ground.

Basically I think I missed a lot of dair opportunities and I was pretty awkward at dealing with MK hopping around trying to land which I think I'm much better at now.

shlike

Smash Ace
I had no idea you guys went so in depth in my set with Ill >.>

I'm glad you did though. I learned a lot from it (not to play the same on every stage lol im sooo bad) not to be so aggressive and just work on more mixups and not play stupidly. You're a great player Ill and it was a great set. I just wish zss boards were as active and as cool as you guys.

P.S. Peaches dair blows *** :)

Top Bottom