• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creative Ways of Charging Solar Beam

leelue

Smash Lord
How many additional frames at the end of the "held" version of the move would be necessary in order for you to eliminate to coming in and out of the move repeatedly as the most effective option? How many frames fewer is the "held"'s cooldown compared to the "1 shot"'s cooldown?
You can add frames to the endlag of the held's endlag without making it take as long as the 1shot's. It is theoretically possible to have a situation where the cooldown's are fairly close but the held versions is shorter, however the cooldown + the startup of a new round of healing would be longer than just holding the heal.

You get me?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
OK, I see what you're saying. Here's a theoretical sample that I think could illustrate a possible way to deal with this issue. Obviously, the numbers can be adjusted to be reasonable:
Assume that there are only two types of rounds in one 'healing session', the very first round of a session and any subsequent rounds. The frame data on these rounds would look something like what's listed below.
  • First round - 5 frames of startup and 5 frames of cooldown
  • Subsequent rounds - 4 frames of startup and 4 frames of cooldown
To clarify, the "cooldown" only applies when one releases the B button. If the B button is held after the startup of a round is over, the healed % and Solarbeam charge is immediately applied and the next round of healing is immediately begun, starting with its '"startup". In this manner, tapping B once would still be the 'unsafest' option as it would take take a total of 10 frames to complete. However, holding the B button would be more beneficial as it would introduce a faster rate of healing/charging, with only 8-frame round times, while still having less cooldown, and thus more safety when cancelled, than the first healing round has.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Regarding the topic of hitting obstacles, does what you use affect how much is charged and healed?

if I were on Yoshi's Island (Brawl) and I attacked the Shy Guys with Usmash and Dair, would i get different charge amounts? :confused:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Regarding the topic of hitting obstacles, does what you use affect how much is charged and healed?

if I were on Yoshi's Island (Brawl) and I attacked the Shy Guys with Usmash and Dair, would i get different charge amounts? :confused:
In the OP of the Q&A thread there's a good description of how the healing/Solarbeam charging works.

ScaryPixel

Smash Cadet

IIRC usmash gives 9 ticks & dair gives 5.

If you'd like to test the heal percentages yourself, go into practice mode, Yoshi's Island, and set your dmg to 100%. Try to sweet spot the shy guys with dair, uair, and usmash.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Don't take my word for it but a while back I think I saw Ivy charge up by using down air on Lucas's up b.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
One easy but daring way is to just D-air / U-air / U-smash someone who just dies and comes off their revival platform. You'll do no damage to them but you'll get a nice chunk of synthesis charge from it. Another simple but depressing way is almost meaningless but if you know you won't be able to come back from being gimped / edge-guarded too hard and you lose all jumps and D-air diminishes too much just hold B and heal charge. Every moment you get launched off screen DI'ing relatively high heal a couple of % with Synthesis in between. All the tiny amount of heal counts. I forgot who's comment(s) it was but I liked whoever said that they'd B-reverse their synthesis as a edge-guard option but then reverses towards stage just for the bump knock-back setting up for a Home-run whip ;D One last note on creative charging had something to do with synthesis baiting and purposefully charge in front of your opponent with 2 placed seed bombs to land with spore setup if landed.

Solarbeam combos are D-throw's from bad DI. My all-time fav combo so far was a pivot D-throw facing left on the very right of stage near 30% to a read Sweet-spot Vine Whip and I ran forward and FH Solarbeam the sky for a early KO hotness. :001: Anytime you're ahead in stocks it's always onixpecting to see a Ivy FF under stage to aim a solarbeam through stage and snipe someone's face and launch em to blast zone~

If someone happens to Power Shield your razor Leaf could we hop over the leaf and heal charge off of it with D-air maybe? Never done Ivy dittos but I can tell it's a battle of dominating whips p_q

ReptarAZ

Smash Rookie
Yo, I am pretty sure if you short hop fast fall synthesis it can have no landing lag if b is released in a similar frame window as l cancel. You can wave bounce and do this too, as well as moving onto platforms. IIRC it makes most sense as a tomahawk type thing. Anyone care to do some more research? The frame window might not be as late as an l cancel.

Alteffor

Smash Rookie
Yo, I am pretty sure if you short hop fast fall synthesis it can have no landing lag if b is released in a similar frame window as l cancel. You can wave bounce and do this too, as well as moving onto platforms. IIRC it makes most sense as a tomahawk type thing. Anyone care to do some more research? The frame window might not be as late as an l cancel.
Synthesis has an instant land-cancel as long as you're not holding b when you land. No timing involved, it just works. Not nearly as useful now that it's not a useful attack anymore but it's still there.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hmm, you do get the landing animation, so it's not completely a cancel I guess.

I just played doubles, and we had a little trick. Whenever my mate would respawn, he'd just stay in place and I'd usmash him during his invincibility frames. I guess that's worth noting :V

And on Distant planet, if you go onto the leaf, and short hop, the leaf will rise, making your jump shorter. There's a timing to catch, if you do get that timing you should be able to heal much faster than you otherwise would.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Synthesis has an instant land-cancel as long as you're not holding b when you land. No timing involved, it just works. Not nearly as useful now that it's not a useful attack anymore but it's still there.
Anybody else find this a silly way to add "tech skill" to Ivysaur? It was shoe-horned in because it was too easy to land cancel in 2.6? Another confusing change which doesn't add any benefit.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hmm, except for the hitbox, wasn't 2.6 synthesis exactly the same ?

Top Bottom