• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating Links: Custom move Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Now that we know everyone has 2 variants of their special moves, what do ya'll think Link's custom moves will be? This is what I think:

N:
This is obvious but bomb arrows, they're heavier & don't fly as far (Think Melee) But the do megaton damage!
& (maybe) Light arrows that far straight but don't do as much damage, or a more fun possibility is the ability to shoot 3 arrows in rapid succession or at once.

Side:
You got the gale boomerang as standard, then a regular one that flies farther.
I know there's nothing like this in the games but a bladed boomerang that spins faster, has much shorter reach but hits multiple times

Down:
The water bombs from Twilight Princess, they don't detonate immediately and you can pull out one after another and spread them across the ground.
I forget their names but the bug bombs also from TP, when they hit the ground they scurry for a short distance before exploding, can only pull one out at a time.

Up:
Hyrule Helicopter, even in you're on the ground you launch upwards into the air! Has more vertical reach
Or a hyrule spin that allows you to travel along the ground as you spin, think Bowsers up-B. In the air it has more horizontal reach.

I haven't played much of Skyward Sword so if you guys know of other projectiles he could use lets hear them, intact lets hear all your ideas!

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yay custom moves!
Honestly your ideas are pretty much what I wanted to say.Give TL fire and ice arrows to declone a bit.

As for Skward sword:Beetle is a item,whip hasn't been shown at all(he already has clawshot),skyward strike(where would this go anyway I guess a taunt and if you hold it he shoots one out.)I never finished Skyward sword though got to the 5th dungeon.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Yay custom moves!
Honestly your ideas are pretty much what I wanted to say.Give TL fire and ice arrows to declone a bit.

As for Skward sword:Beetle is a item,whip hasn't been shown at all(he already has clawshot),skyward strike(where would this go anyway I guess a taunt and if you hold it he shoots one out.)I never finished Skyward sword though got to the 5th dungeon.
Got farther than I did, I only managed to reach the 3rd dungeon :p

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I put this in another forum, but I'll put it here again in a little more detail.

Neutral Special: Arrows (the usual)/Bomb Arrows (Longer to pull back fully, but more knockback/damage)/Serrated Arrows (Faster draw, hits multiple times for small damage)

Side Special: Gale Boomerang (the usual)/Melee Boomerang (the usual)/Hurricane Boomerang (No knockback, small damage, but much more powerful vacuum effect for combo-esque shenanigans.)

Up Special: Spin Attack (The usual)/Great Spin (Longer charge time, but more knockback/damage)/Quick Spin (faster charge time, less damage)

Down Special: Bomb (the usual)/Bombchu (Cannot throw, but travels very quickly along the ground)/Gunpowder Barrel (much shorter throwing distance for greatly increased damage/knockback) (From Majora's Mask)

Phoenixian_Majesty

Smash Rookie
Yay custom moves!

I always thought if Skyward strike were to be included it would be best done like Aura but in reverse (Better with no damage, stops all together after a certain threshold). I know this is impossible now, but shooting sword beams is a staple in Zelda. Perhaps adding them as alternate up specials somehow, since thats the only move where link recurring uses his sword.

Of the top of my head, variants for his bomb could include the bombchu, and perhaps a Jar or something like that, that doesn't explode.
For front B, they could also get bombarrows in there. Give extra weight, and explode on hit.

I also think that there's a chance we might end up just seeing variations of how the gale in the gale boomerang works for the front B.... For instance, one where it doesn't travel far, but spins in place and makes a large cyclone before returning.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I wish more characters besides Mii Fighters and Palutena had unique custom move-sets and not just small variations on their default move-set. Obviously Link comes from a game where you use many weapons/items, there would be neat possibilities with him.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
Down B
Bomb roll from SS would we cool! When using this special move he immediately rolls the bomb on the ground to cause a quick powerful attack, down side is you can't hold the bomb like an item!

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Down B - Super bomb from a link to the past. Takes more time to pulling out, but when you have it do 25% and good kill power.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I hope he has an alternate bomb special where his bombs are as big as they are in the game.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think Fire and Ice arrows are kind of obvious. Though Light and Bomb arrows are possible too. Having a normal boomerang instead the Gale Boomerang would be nice. Anyone think that the Great Spin would be a good choice.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here is a customized move set I felt would fit Link well.

Neutral A: Hero's Bow
Side B: Gale Boomerang
Up B: Spin Attack
Down B: Bomb

Custom 1

Neutral A: Bomb Arrow (Fires an arrow with a bomb that blasts opponents. Slow and more weighted than regular arrows)
Side B: Velocity Bommerang (much faster than the regular.)
Up B: Fury Spin Attack (increases the range of the spin attack and has a vacuum effect)
Down B: Bomb Roll (Link can roll the bomb as well as throw it. Has further range compared to the thrown version. The length depends on how hard to player pushed the controls tick. If it loses its velocity, it will simply stop until it explodes.)

Custom 2

Neutral A: Ice
Arrow (can freeze the opponent in addition. Does less damage)
Side B: Firestorm Boomerang (deals fire damage when it attacks. Slower)
Up B: Reflecting Spin Attack (can reflect projectiles away from Link if timed correctly)
Down B: Water Bomb (Much like the regular bomb but instead of fire, it explodes with water with low damage but high knock back).

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Please keep in mind that custom specials are all based on the original special, so don't expect something like switching moves with completely new ones. Here are my ideas:

Up Special
  • Regular spin attack
  • Melee spin attack- Unchargable, but very powerful on the ground while having a semi-spike. In the air, it offers less vertical distance, but more damage and knock-back for a good combo finisher.
  • Skyward Strike enhanced spin attack- Quick with very good horizontal range on the ground with a less damage and knock-back, but it can be charged for a much more powerful attack with even more horizontal range in exchange for more ending lag. You can move in one direction while performing it if you choose. Each swing can connect at low percentages while you're moving with the opponent in front of you since the Skyward Strike extends your range in that direction. The last hit would then have the most knock-back. While in the air, it gives you more horizontal movement than ventricle and happens just as fast, with a longer, more noticeable sword trail. It kind of acts like DK's up special.

Down Special
  • Default bombs
  • Giant bombs- About 3 times larger, they do massive damage, knock-back, and have enhanced range, but it takes more time to pull out and throw.
  • Quick bombs- Considerably smaller bombs with lighter damage and knock-back but with hit-stun for follow-ups, they pop quickly into your hands with much less noticeable throw lag.

Neutral Special
  • Default arrows
  • Bomb arrows- A good gimp/punish/kill move that takes considerably longer to fully charge, with more damage and knock-back the more you go in exchange for more ending lag.
  • Quick arrows- Just like it sounds. But there's a surprise. They have no arch and keep moving forward, more quickly than before. You can shoot multiple arrows in one sitting in quick succession, a lot like Falco's lasers, but a bit slower and more damage-dealing.

Side Special
  • Default Gale Boomerang
  • Melee boomerang, but more Project M like
  • Super Gale- A faster version of the Gale boomerang. It does less damage and knock-back, but goes much further and deals damage if someone is caught in it on the way back to Link.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Please keep in mind that custom specials are all based on the original special, so don't expect something like switching moves with completely new ones. Here are my ideas:

Up Special
  • Regular spin attack
  • Melee spin attack- Unchargable, but very powerful on the ground while having a semi-spike. In the air, it offers less vertical distance, but more damage and knock-back for a good combo finisher.
  • Skyward Strike enhanced spin attack- Quick with very good horizontal range on the ground with a less damage and knock-back, but it can be charged for a much more powerful attack with even more horizontal range in exchange for more ending lag. You can move in one direction while performing it if you choose. Each swing can connect at low percentages while you're moving with the opponent in front of you since the Skyward Strike extends your range in that direction. The last hit would then have the most knock-back. While in the air, it gives you more horizontal movement than ventricle and happens just as fast, with a longer, more noticeable sword trail. It kind of acts like DK's up special.

Down Special
  • Default bombs
  • Giant bombs- About 3 times larger, they do massive damage, knock-back, and have enhanced range, but it takes more time to pull out and throw.
  • Quick bombs- Considerably smaller bombs with lighter damage and knock-back but with hit-stun for follow-ups, they pop quickly into your hands with much less noticeable throw lag.

Neutral Special
  • Default arrows
  • Bomb arrows- A good gimp/punish/kill move that takes considerably longer to fully charge, with more damage and knock-back the more you go in exchange for more ending lag.
  • Quick arrows- Just like it sounds. But there's a surprise. They have no arch and keep moving forward, more quickly than before. You can shoot multiple arrows in one sitting in quick succession, a lot like Falco's lasers, but a bit slower and more damage-dealing.

Side Special
  • Default Gale Boomerang
  • Melee boomerang, but more Project M like
  • Super Gale- A faster version of the Gale boomerang. It does less damage and knock-back, but goes much further and deals damage if someone is caught in it on the way back to Link.

What do you guys think?
Nice but still want to see the fire/ice arrows. Who knows maybe sakurai go just with fire/ice arrows, bomb arrows and regular arrows.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Nice but still want to see the fire/ice arrows. Who knows maybe sakurai go just with fire/ice arrows, bomb arrows and regular arrows.
I have a strong suspicion those will go to toon link, since his predecessor young link in melee originally had fire arrows.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
If Link doesn't have Fire, Ice and Light Arrows i'll be pissed.
Toon Link should get the Fire and Ice Arrows since Young Link from Melee originally had Fire Arrows as his basic B (even though overall it was Adult Link who got the Fire Arrows 1st), Light Arrows are part of Zelda's and Sheik's Final Smash, and therefore won't be needed as custom moves for either Link, since the Light Arrow fits Zelda far more than it does with Link (Light Arrow on Link would have to be completely different and nerfed from the 1 Zelda and Sheik uses in their Final Smash).

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Fire and Ice for TL imo.Give Link Bomb arrows and some random smash only thing.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Toon Link should get the Fire and Ice Arrows since Young Link from Melee originally had Fire Arrows as his basic B (even though overall it was Adult Link who got the Fire Arrows 1st), Light Arrows are part of Zelda's and Sheik's Final Smash, and therefore won't be needed as custom moves for either Link, since the Light Arrow fits Zelda far more than it does with Link (Light Arrow on Link would have to be completely different and nerfed from the 1 Zelda and Sheik uses in their Final Smash).
True, True.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
But... But... Adult link was the first one who have the fire/ice arrows in a zelda game...:'(
At last give him the ice arrows. Young link just have the fire ones...

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
But... But... Adult link was the first one who have the fire/ice arrows in a zelda game...:'(
At last give him the ice arrows. Young link just have the fire ones...
I can actually agree on that, although seeing both (Adult/Toon Link) getting Fire/Ice Arrows would work either way (Adult Link getting Ice Arrows, while Toon Link gets Fire Arrows and vice versa, although a lot of people would rather see Adult Link get his custom arrows based on some of the gear combinations he had in some of the more recent Zelda games, like the Bomb Arrows).

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think Toon Link should get the elementals while Adult gets Bomb and some other type of more gadget arrows.

Also if I recall there was a Magic boomerang in the older games they could bring in

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I can honestly see both Link and Toon Link getting fire arrows for one customizable neutral special and then ice for the other.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
That's imaginable, but could use a little more diversity to make it better

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I know. I hope that they do something different to further set them apart, but I can just see that happening.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I know. I hope that they do something different to further set them apart, but I can just see that happening.
Giving both Links the same exact Elemental Arrow customization would be flat out laziness by Sakurai (just like how he gave both Zelda and Sheik the same exact Final Smash again despite them no longer being together, and he did it again with both Links having Triforce Slash just like in Brawl), anyways both Links having the exact same 2 Elemental Arrows would not set them apart one bit, since they would have the same exact B customs and therefore they would be cloning each other again with having the same arrow customization, unless the rest of their B customs are completely different enough then it might be ok (it's either 1 gets 1 set of the Elemental Arrows or 1 gets both sets (Fire for either Adult or Toon Link (either 1 of them could get it) and Ice for the other), I'd prefer if Adult Link got his arrows customized based on his most recent appearances (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword variants could be taken from there such as the Bomb Arrows which are from TP as many people have suggested many times (wasn't there another fused version of an arrow in SS, or did that have the Bomb Arrows again?), Toon Link on the other hand gets both Elemental Arrows (since Young Link in Melee had Fire Arrows as his basic B and would harken back to those days, plus the Elemental Arrows fit Toon Link more than Adult Link (unless Adult were to get Fire Arrows for 1 custom set, while the Bomb Arrows are his 2nd set, and Toon Link gains the Ice Arrow and the 2nd arrow custom could have a wind effect on it (since most of the B customs in the game are getting wind effects.)

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Giving both Links the same exact Elemental Arrow customization would be flat out laziness by Sakurai (just like how he gave both Zelda and Sheik the same exact Final Smash again despite them no longer being together, and he did it again with both Links having Triforce Slash just like in Brawl), anyways both Links having the exact same 2 Elemental Arrows would not set them apart one bit, since they would have the same exact B customs and therefore they would be cloning each other again with having the same arrow customization, unless the rest of their B customs are completely different enough then it might be ok (it's either 1 gets 1 set or 1 gets both sets (Fire for either Adult or Toon Link (either 1 of them could get it) and Ice for the other), I'd prefer if Adult Link got his arrows customized based on his most recent appearances (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword variants could be taken from there such as the Bomb Arrows which are from TP as many people have suggested many times (wasn't there another fused version of an arrow in SS, or did that have the Bomb Arrows again?), Toon Link on the other hand gets both Elemental Arrows (since Young Link in Melee had Fire Arrows as his basic B and would harken back to those days.)
Plus even if this is by aesthetics, our Adult Link is from TP, the least magical Link ever
Toon Link actually used the Fire and Ice arrows.

I know generally smash is showing the character as is seen by all their games but its interesting to note.

Last edited:

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Plus even if this is by aesthetics, our Adult Link is from TP, the least magical Link ever
Toon Link actually used the Fire and Ice arrows.

I know generally smash is showing the character as is seen by all their games but its interesting to note.
That makes sense, cuz when brawl link get his TP look, sakurai give him the gale boomerang.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
This is the custom moveset I'd really like to see even if I think it's unlikely to actually be in:

Neutral B - Arrow (it would be really cool if bomb arrows were in his ordinary moveset when you're holding a bomb)
Cust 1 - Slingshot - quicker, weaker projectile firing (like falco's B but with less range)
Cust 2 - Skyward strike
I think TL will most likely get the fire and ice arrows

Side B - Gale boomerang
Cust 1 - Plain boomerang - more knockback and distance covered, no pull effect
Cust 2 - Whip - Kinda like ZSS's whip with a sweetspot at the end

Down B - Bomb
Cust 1 - Ball and chain - Laggy but powerful
Cust 2 - Helm splitter - Link does a forward somersault (kinda like shiek's new down B), whilst slicing the air beneath him

Up B - Spin attack
Cust 1 - Sailcloth - (kinda like Peach's parasol), link spins and rises straight up through the air, then floats horizontally
Cust 2 - Cuckoo - Link pulls out a cuckoo from his tunic and rises vertically a small distance and then can float whilst carrying the cuckoo. He can later throw it away or at an opponent (If there are already 2 cuckoo's on the field, he won't be able to pull out another one)

Anyway, I can't see this happening realistically but I can always dream...

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Down B - Bomb
Cust 1 - Ball and chain - Laggy but powerful
If Link was carrying it while moving wouldn't that slow him down, kinda like how it did in TP (basically it would be an offensive version of the crate items that returns to you & doesn't break).

chandy

Smash Journeyman
If Link was carrying it while moving wouldn't that slow him down, kinda like how it did in TP (basically it would be an offensive version of the crate items that returns to you & doesn't break).
When he has it out then it would slow him down but when he puts it away then he'd go back to his normal speed like he did in TP. I was imagining it having a similar strength to the crates but to balance all that power it would probably have to be a pretty slow move too

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
It's pleasing to know there are two versions of Link in SSB, since this means we, in a way, receive twice as many special move variants as other characters. This also applies to any character with clones or semi-clones, like Marth/Lucina. Anyway, I hope elemental arrows do more than damage, if they are implemented. Fire arrows, for example, could be designed not as a projectile, but as a way to place fire on the stage. So the arrows would produce minor damage, but the fire the arrows produce on the stage or air would cause much damage.

DoobieStories

Smash Cadet
Neutral 2- Ice arrows
Neutral 3- Bomb arrows
(give Toon link fire and light)

Side 2- Throws the mighty ball and chain from TP out for good damage better knockback but slow and a little charge time
Side 3- Hops on the Top Spinner from TP and spin around for a little

Down 2- Link puts on his metal boots from Oot and plummets down like kirbys rock
Down 3-Chargable Explosion DINS FIRE from OoT

Up 2- Links Aims the Gust Bellows from SS down and it propels him up shooting anyone under him lower
Up 3-The Bird from SS or a couple cucoos could flap up with you (but i hate those recoveries) or swoops in and rises you a little bit but quickly and does damage as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom