• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating a Brawl School

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Before I go into details, let's set the main goal of this thread:
I'd like you to help me create an organized agenda to teach people how to play Brawl, divided by topics.

What I have ATM, is not perfect, and probably the order is not the best. That's why I'm asking for help.

• [0] Getting Started
    • [0.1] Game objectives rack damage, kill
      [0.2] VERY basic concepts main ground, platforms, ledge, blastzones
      [0.3] Controllers "4 ways to play!"
    [1] Basic Controls
    • [1.1] Basic Movement walk, dash, crouch (crawl), jump, fastfall
      [1.2] Normal Attacks Neutral (jab), tilts (angled tilts), Dash Attack
      [1.3] Smash Attacks Fastest-time Smashes, charged Smashes
      [1.4] Aerial Attacks
      [1.5] Grabs Standing, Dashing, Pivot
      [1.6] Special Attacks
    [2] Basic States
    • [2.1] Hitlag/Hitstun How DI works
      [2.1.1] Momentum Cancel
      [2.1.2] Ukemi What it is, when to and when not to perform it
      [2.2] Laying on the ground Wake-up options
      [2.3] Offstage Recovery options
      [2.4] On the Ledge Ledge options, >100% options

I still have to add/arrange many concepts, like advanced movement (reverse specials, pivot specials), buffering, advanced attack (pressure, juggle) strategies (camping, stage control, platform game, spacing, vertical spacing, True spacing) and whatnot, and that's why I am here, asking for help.

A Little Background:
[collapse=Why this is important]About 2 weeks ago I went to a local Institute that promotes sports, they constantly have acivities and organize events where they invite certain target audiences, or some where whole family can participate.
I talked to them about the idea of creating a whole new Competitive Videogame School, starting with Brawl (which is the game I understand the best [but I suck at it, just imagine how well acknowledged I am on other games]), but that one concept could extend to more games.
It was only a small speech, but they actually liked the idea.
However, they told me they, could not directly help me with that, and that I had to address that same Issue to another Insititute whose target Audience is the younger part of the population (kids-teens-young adults), presenting the project as a thesis-like document (I have more or less started researching).

If this becomes a thing, it would help improve Competitive Gaming not only within my own community, but it could grow to immense proportions.[/collapse]

SoulPech

Smash Master
I know someone who is great at contracting. I'll get a schematic and layouts of the building right away! Seriously though, it sounds fun and can't wait to see what happens.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Your link to 'true spacing' and what Deltacod described as spacing other than aiming hitboxes correctly...I think that's what the term 'zoning' is for.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This is probably a cool idea but this is the only thing I can think of when I look at this and I can't stop laughing.
Maybe not that big (and definetly not dividing people for their performance), but that's pretty much the idea.

I know someone who is great at contracting. I'll get a schematic and layouts of the building right away! Seriously though, it sounds fun and can't wait to see what happens.
Mexican masons are the best masons.
Facilties will be easy if/when the project gets approved. ;)

Your link to 'true spacing' and what Deltacod described as spacing other than aiming hitboxes correctly...I think that's what the term 'zoning' is for.
Yeah, about that... that's exactly the reason why I am here looking for input, there are just too many concepts, either universal for FGs or exclusive to Brawl, and too many options that need to be covered, and one single person can't figure them all and write them down in a comprehensive way (at least not me, who am in the midst of a research, have to think about all of that in two languages, and I am not exactly the best tutor ever).

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
make sure you talk about the difference between camping and spamming. ESAM made a forum about this, although it was specifically for pikachu. I can get you the link of it would interest you though.

when you talk about DI, be sure to include general angles of DI, and to let new players know that they should start off with basic DI, DI horizontal-angled moves up and DI vertical-angled moves away. DI tutorials tend to only teach what DI actually is, not how to use it in various situations. please include, DIing combos, edgeguards, and the concept of being aware if you are going to get punished so you can DI. I had to figure all this out by myself, would have saved me a lot of time if I already knew it. DI was just such a complicated and misunderstood aspect for me that for awhile i just ignored it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'll make sure to use the right differentiations, terms and concepts.
I'll go look for that thread later.

About DI the program would do pretty much what the Smash Lab and VGBC already did:
First, introduce people into what hitstun is, and let them know they can manipulate trajectory. I guess I can put the "DI out of combos/edgeguards" here, as the best trajetory is always circumstantial.
Then, letting them know the best survival trajectory and actions to increase the survival rate (which starts at about the half of the other video)
And finally, expand on hitlag and what you can or cannot do during it. I wasn't sure if add it as 2.1.3 or as a more advanced concept, but yeah, I plan to add that somewhere.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
This is a pretty cool idea. The SSB64 and SSBM sections should have similar threads.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
As I said, the same concept could be applied to virtually (no pun intended) any other game.
Brawl happened to be the one I know the best.

nessokman

Smash Lord
i like this idea alot. What about meteor smash/spiking.Although risky, they are important and pay off.I used marth and knocked an ike off the stage and spiked him in 7 seconds flat. (he didn't jet down, but flew so low he couldn't recover)

Its a risky move but pays off.you should have a bit in there for it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Ok, I really need to get this going.
Any ideas for [3]? I thought of Advanced Contols, with Advanced Movement (DashDance, RAR), Small Step F-smash, Rising/Retreating aerials, Jump Cancel U-smash, Reverse JCUSmash, DACUS, Pivot/Wavebounce Specials.
Does that sound good to go?

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
This sounds exciting, but I think it might only come out if one of us turns out to be a crazy entrepeneur that is willing to invest in an idea with questionable profit ranges. Well, it would only be a matter of promoting the idea between pro players in our community and see how it turns out. We could also create a pro league, just like in any sport, along with divisions, coaches and everything. Ok, not, that already exists, lol.
Back on the crux of the topic, if this ever gets done by someone, there should be a teacher for every character, so it can get even more specialized. Cool idea.
But yeah, someone should try this out. I can't, because I'm not that pro and am still learning... and people here don't take the game that seriously... so, well.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
To be fair, pretty much everything can be twisted into a monetary thing. And that's a cancer that's slowly killing youtube, imo.

Anyway, thakns for the bump, I was thinking a bit on this and decided to finish Chapter 1 with basics of Fighting Games gameplay, concepts such as Spacing, Range and Burst Range, Safety, Shield and OOS, etc.
As of now it would look something like this:

[3] Basic Fighting Game Concepts
[3.1] Shielding
[3.1.1] Out Of Shield
[3.2] About Safety
[3.2.1] Mobility
[3.2.2] Spacing/Poking (?)
[3.2.3] Burst Range
[3.3] Getting reads
[3.3.1] Spotting Habits
[3.3.2] Baiting
[3.3.3] Mixups

Or something like that (I'm very iffy about what's basic and what's advanced when it comes to concepts.

The idea is to wrap up "Basics" and let the "students" to have a base to work with and fully understand what they are doing against other players of their level.
With this base they should be able to take out other beginners.
Thoughts?

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
Well, I mean, it would be fantastic for people to not always look out for profits and stuff, but it happens. At least, that's why we don't have decent tournaments were a live, because organizers are always looking to make money; they give a pitiful amount of money to the winners, barely giving an incentive for the players to pay their entry, and so on.
I guess the only way to make this real without having to spend good amounts of money is to create an Online Academy or something like that, but Wi-Fi play is awful and would block effective learning/teaching.

Also, I've been introducing many friends on to competitive Brawl with relatively good results; however, it's sometimes difficult to teach them further when they end up picking characters with a gameplay that I barely know, so well... I would suggest to implement some kind of "vocational guidance" on selecting a main at the end of the basic lessons. You know, so they can know exactly what to expect from the character they want or pick up a main based on the strategies or gameplay they want to use.

TreK

Is "that guy"
You have to teach them the basics and a couple advanced stuff to tease them (I usually use the grab release example to show them that frame data isn't a frightening list of numbers but more about knowing your options), and after that, teach them WHERE and HOW to look for more advanced stuff by themselves. Bring them to tournaments so they can befriend some members of the community besides you.
And you're lucky if your friends speak English already. I have to translate sooo many things for my one and only pupil, from videos to ****ing frame data compendiums and matchup rundowns.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
@Roy: if your TOs are cheap-ass Fat Moneybag Monkeys, host your own tournaments, or talk to "capable" people (estoy pensando en "pudiente" pero no se me ocurrió como traducirla a inglés) of hosting Smashfests, even if they are just about gathering for random play for a couple hours. Everything that can help a community to keep contact would help.

@Teneban: While it's not a bad idea to teach only basics and let novices to learn everything else on their own (specially because I don't know every character in-and-out), I DO need to write down a whole Program to have the people in charge read it as a serious, complete project (which is the same reason a WiFi Academy is not an option, at least not for me).
Plus, I might include aspects of the game outside Tournament play, like how some items work, or how to play on every stage (which I actually consider really important).

Maybe I can finish the "Basic" part and allow everyone to use it if they want as "Creative Commons", and keep the "full" program for myself and MY Academy. :p

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
@Roy: if your TOs are cheap-*** Fat Moneybag Monkeys, host your own tournaments, or talk to "capable" people (estoy pensando en "pudiente" pero no se me ocurrió como traducirla a inglés) of hosting Smashfests, even if they are just about gathering for random play for a couple hours. Everything that can help a community to keep contact would help.
Well, it's more complicated than that... I would love to host my own tournaments, but my house can't hold too many people and my parents won't let me bring people they don't know. So, yeah, the place is almost always an obstacle. Furthermore, most of my friends really enjoy Smash, but almost no one wants to take it more serious. Only three of us can be considered average/good players... also, I recently met some more Smash fans where I live, who actually host Smash Fests/friendly tourneys/crew battles and so on, but they are mostly Melee/Project M players who are average at most in Brawl :/

Also, from which state are you from? I would love to help make the Academy come true or, at least, get to visit it if I get the chance to go wherever it'll be, lol.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Maybe talking to someone who owns a place? Or someone who likes the game too and has a bigger/own place? The point is to keep trying.

I'm from San Luis Potosi, so thanks for the support, but direct help might be a bit difficult :p

Anyway, the program will end its "Chapter 1" with that 3, and begins the "Chapter 2" with Advanced movement and general ATs, Stutter Step Smashes, RAR Aerials, Jump-cancel Smashes, DACUS, pivot specials, etc.

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
Oh, well, I guess it's just a matter of looking for more people and places.
I'm from Querétaro, so we're not that far away from each other, but still somewhat far, lol.
Anyways, if I can help with anything, I'll be up for the task!
Good luck.

Top Bottom