• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Create DLC for Brawl

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Based on this post in the Make DLC for a Classic Game thread. I figured this would be a fun creative exercise, so why not?
I have thought far too long about Brawl DLC, so now I actually get to spill it all out nice! These are the characters I think would be most likely I’d Brawl got DLC:
Dixie Kong - Kongo Falls

Mewtwo - Saffron City

Mega Man - Wily Castle

Simon Belmont - Dracula’s Castle

Lyn - Bulgar

Rosalina and Luma - Mario Galaxy
I should probably explain my process. Mewtwo and Dixie Kong are both characters from the cutting room floor who, with DLC, would get their chance to be made into reality. Also both being incredibly popular First Parties also helps out a bit as well. Mega Man and Simon Belmont are both Classic NES Icons who were relevant and highly requested at the time of Brawl, so they’re both perfect fits for Brawl’s DLC. Rosalina is the character from this era who I think should be here. Rosalina is the Corrin or Byleth of this game, a character who had no chance of getting in, from a game important to the Wii (Super Mario Galaxy) who, with the game already out by time the DLC were to get its plans laid out, would be added to represent the Wii. Also officially getting into the game after this definitely helps. Lyn is here because I am incredibly biased, but I honestly think it would only be the 5, so I’m letting myself have this one. She is the character who introduced Fire Emblem to the West. Marth and Roy were the heads up, but Lyn was the introduction quite LITERALLY THAT’S HER IN THE FIRST CUTSCENE OF THE GAME!!!!!!! So yeah, if she weren’t to be made an Assist Trophy in the timeline where Brawl DLC actually happened, she would be here.

The Fighters aren’t the only DLC, as there would be 6 themed waves of Costumes. They would be the:
Pajama Wave: Pajama Ness, Pajama Lucas, and Outset Toon Link
Shiny Wave: Literally every Shiny Pokémon. Also a Female Trainer was added as an additional option to the Pokémon themselves, selected like the Echoes are by pressing X to swap between the two. They also have a 7th Color based off the Gen 2 Trainers to match the Shiny Pokémon.
Ocarina Wave: OoT Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf
Third Party Wave: Tuxedo Snake and Racing Suit Sonic
Fire Emblem Wave: Classic Marth and Buff Ike
Mario Wave: Safari Mario, Colored Yoshi’s, and Sports Peach
Alongside them there would also be the return of Hyrule Castle (with Ocarina) and Fountain of Dreams (with Mario). I’m also going to add Small Battlefield with Fire Emblem because that one is already a pipe dream to some extent so I might as well add Small Battlefield. Random Tripping would get removed, as well as balance adjustments, like nerfing Meta Knight and Ice Climbers while buffing certain low tiers to do better, basic stuff nothing too drastic.
I don't want to put many restrictions on this, but a few things to note:
  1. Fighters and stages don't have to be the only form of DLC; costumes, modes and songs are also valid
  2. 2012 should probably be the cutoff point for releasing new content, since the Wii U was on its way
  3. Balance patches and free updates are applicable
With that in mind, have fun and go wild with your ideas!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
First up, speculative:
  1. Either Rosalina or Bowser Jr.
  2. Mewtwo
  3. Either a more JP-leaning Sega rep or Pac-Man
  4. Villager

Now, my take
  1. Tails
  2. Midna
  3. Pac-Man
  4. Skitty
Tried to avoid picks that could come off as shills at this point in the timeline - Jill Dozer is a cool deep cut now, but at the time she would've just came off as a desperate plea of "PLEASE GO BACK AND BUY THIS GAME WE SENT TO DIE WITH NO MARKETING 3 YEARS AGO!!"

I had literally never considered Skitty until now, when I basically just looked up gen 3 Pokemon and went to pick the first one that struck me since it fit the time period, but god damn I'm gonna be really annoying about Skitty for a few days now.

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
For my own (not very realistic) take:

Veterans Pack:
  • Fighters: :mewtwopm::roypm:
  • Stages: Poké Floats, Fountain of Dreams

Newcomer Pack #1:
  • Fighter: :4megaman:
  • Stage: Wily Castle
  • Assist Trophy: Zero

Newcomer Pack #2:
  • Fighter: Dixie Kong
  • Stage: Kongo Jungle 64

Newcomer Pack #3:
  • Fighter: Isaac
  • Stage: Venus Lighthouse
  • Assist Trophy: Felix

Standalone purchases:
  • Fighter: :4drmario:
  • Stages: Hyrule Castle 64, Endless Ocean
  • Costumes: Additional Yoshi colours, Outset Toon Link, PED Suit Samus, additional Kirby colours, female Pokémon Trainer, Buff Ike, Tuxedo Snake, Riders Sonic

Updates:
  • Balance patches
  • Improved Online with Tourney and Boss Battles
  • Board the Platforms mode
  • Previously cut DKC1 and Smash 64 Masterpieces

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here is my list:

Free Bonus DLC: Mewtwo, Roy

Fighter Pack 1: Toad
Fighter Pack 2: Krystal

Stage Pack: Kongo Jungle, Dream Land

Bonus Stage: Wii Menu

Fighter Pack 3: Pac-Man and Pac-Land (I’d prefer Pac-Maze but I think Miyamoto would have wanted Pac-Land)
Fighter Pack 4: Mega Man and Wily Castle

Other patches: Improved online infrastructure within what’s feasible, online tourney, balance patches.

My major stipulation was that I excluded any assist trophies, pokeball pokemon, or bosses as playable DLC, so Waluigi, Isaac, and Little Mac were ineligible.
While Sakurai doesn’t like adding scrapped scrapped as DLC, I’d feel uncomfortable excluding Mewtwo and Roy given how far they were in development.
Toad felt like the most feasible Mario character at the time.
Krystal was heavily considered for Brawl.
I feel like Pac-Man and Pac-Land would’ve been mandated.
Mega Man was a huge request.
Kongo Jungle and Dream Land give us SSB64 maps.
Wii Menu gives us a Wii era stage.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I was alerted to this since my message was quoted, and while I still agree with most of that list, I’m definitely more hesitant on Dixie and Lyn now. Not saying they wouldn’t happen, but they don’t really line up with Smash’s DOC Philosophy of bringing back Veterans and bringing in New Worlds. Also hesitant on Costumes but they’re a nice bonus here so I’ll keep them for now. So doing this today it would probably look closer to this:
  1. Dixie Kong, who is still here purely because a semi-clone makes it easier to justify making her a Club Nintendo bonus initially.
  2. Mewtwo…. Yeah they were only cut for time so why wouldn’t Mewtwo come back?
  3. Mega Man. New World and a fan favorite. Stage is Wily Castle, which is the same as Smash Wii U except the Yellow Devil doesn’t exist anymore.
  4. Simon Belmont, New World, owned by Konami. Dracula’s Castle is her stage, same as Ultimate.
  5. Rosalina. New World and a character to represent a major release that couldn’t get anything back in base game. Mario Galaxy is her stage. Same as Wii U.
  6. Dural. New World. owned by SEGA, Sakurai is a fighting game but, and would be carried hard by Sakurai’s affinity for fighting games, and I approve. Dural would get priority since Virtua Fighter lacks a main character, so her being a boss who copies moves from other fighters would be a huge thing to allow her to stand out. Deep Mountain would be the stage, replicating the taco maps from Virtua Fighter.
There would also be some 64 Stages brought back, like Hyrule Castle, Saffron City, and Mushroom Kingdom. Not sure about costumes, but if they were to be a thing I’d say going with Yoshi colors, Leaf, Outset Toon Link, Tuxedo Snake, Sporty Peach, and Racing Suit Sonic would be the 5 prioritized. There could also be a stage by the Distortion Realm but idk. One final note but yes all 5 DLC Characters would have reveal trailers dropped at random on the Drawl Dojo.

Top Bottom