• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Link Fun

Rizen

Smash Legend
This thread is dedicated to the game modes Brawl has to offer that tourney's don't include. It is made of 4 sections: Almost tourney, Stadium, Subspace, and Crazy Fun.
Replays, snapshots, and ideas for each will be archived in one of the four posts below. 'Got something cool that isn't tourney viable? Need tips or want to discuss stadium modes or custom stages? 'Know item tricks? Or have something that's just plain crazy? If it involves Link, post away!

Almost Tourney: The place for Free-for-Alls, banned stages, and not quite tourney accepted chats.

Stadium: ‘Self explanatory; anything about stadium modes with Link.

Subspace: Link rocks here. Get and give sticker advice, stage/hidden door tips, boss tricks, replays and snapshots from the Subspace Emissary.

Crazy Fun: Wild custom stages, special brawls, insane item setups, mini games, etc, etc.

Brawl’s more than just tourneys; especially for low tiers like Link.
Updates:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Almost Tourney

Almost Tourney: The place for Free-for-Alls, banned stages, and not quite tourney accepted chats.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Subspace

Subspace: Link rocks here. Get and give sticker advice, stage/hidden door tips, boss tricks, replays and snapshots from the Subspace Emissary.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Crazy Fun

Crazy Fun: Wild custom stages, special brawls, insane item setups, mini games, etc, etc.

This free-for-all inspired the thread a while ago. I made the stage and called it 'Fray' because characters must keep moving and it has huge potential to give damage and survive extreme damages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7BHOYZGs0

Bunnyhoodtinysudendeath on New Pork City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Rfv67aBwc

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Lol peach boards. If you want to make the story in a blog I'll link it.
Temple, Link can bomb and spam with almost no fear of being gimped if he stays on top.
I've beaten Subspace and boss battles on intense with Link. His high damage attacks can't be blocked and his spot dodge is one of the best. He does suck on platformy stages like 'Halberd Exterior'. I gave him high launch resistance, flinch resistance and slash attack enhancers. His Hylian shield actually has a purpose in SSpace. Properly stickered, Link's one of the best characters. (So is C Falcon).

I'll update these in later.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
If you want I'll write up a guide to Intense Boss battles for Link.

Yeah, I'll do that sometime.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have a replay where I KO 13 Alloys in Crule Brawl that needs to be uploaded.
Link mains, Post away!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I think I understand how Link was meant to work in free for all's (FFA's). You see he's good at staying alive and keeping away but at the cost of not getting much kills. The complete opposite of say a powerhouse like Ike. That's what I felt when I was playing FFA's with my brothers.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I disagree. Link is amazing at getting kills, and he is just above middleweight with the ability to barely recover, but at the cost of taking lots of damage and having lots of openings he can get hit in. Heck, he's... laggy.

Rizen

Smash Legend
FFAs take away most of Link's two major downfalls: Being shielded/grabbed and being gimped.
I'm halfway between Ano and Scabe on the issue. Link survives forever if he's not gimped or gently tapped when low offstage. Link has great KO potential but he's so darn punishable.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I dunno. I tend to think Link is pretty much garbage at FFA's because he dies so early, since getting gimped is all but guaranteed with all the chaos (although that might be because when I play as Link, once I'm off the edge, my old roommates literally go "he's off!" and then I have to fight three people to get back on, and they play off the edge a lot since they're almost always ROB and Pit, and an Ike to ultra-punish me if I make it through the other two :ohwell:). He's also so slow there's almost never an opening to get a powerful attack in without getting punished hard by someone else. His problem is he racks damage up incredibly fast but doesn't kill quite as early as some characters, so Link does all the hard work, then other people can swoop in in the 100-120 range just outside Link's reliable kill range of 130-140 or so (minus dair, which is a guaranteed punish, so you can't really use that very often).

I think Link's at his best when he's alone on one side and has the stage control with zair and projectiles to force the other three people on the other side of the map so they have to fight each other, then try to sneak in a kill or two while they're distracted and clustered together.

Basically, Link just has a giant target on his face in FFA, and his strengths are minimized while his weaknesses become crippling.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ 'sounds like a 3 on 1, lol.
SH Bair's a good fast attack in FFAs. Link has a good airdodge mindgame with possible Zairs and holding a bomb.
ROB, Pit and Ike is an annoying situation for Link. Maximize your attacks with landing canceling moves like Zair>Fsmash. Zair>dash attack if you're stuck in the middle. Link will survive being launched high, set up bombs and Dairs when returning down. Dsmash is useful. If Link's hurtbox isn't hit ALL of Link's standard attack hitbubbles will cancel Pit's arrows and stop ROB's gyro.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, wow, rereading that makes it sound so negative.
I guess my main point is it's known Link is a bottom tier character, so people will be watching to punish Link more than, say, Meta Knight for an easy kill. It's not so much a 3-on-1 as it is that there's no way Link can get back against 3 people, so someone will get a kill if they work together for a few seconds; against MK they wouldn't bother since even 3 on 1 MK's chance of getting back on are still good (ha, FFA's at my old place were more about making and breaking alliances; they were won with strategy).

...I need to learn to stop saying so many words.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Haha, wow, rereading that makes it sound so negative.
I guess my main point is it's known Link is a bottom tier character, so people will be watching to punish Link more than, say, Meta Knight for an easy kill. It's not so much a 3-on-1 as it is that there's no way Link can get back against 3 people, so someone will get a kill if they work together for a few seconds; against MK they wouldn't bother since even 3 on 1 MK's chance of getting back on are still good (ha, FFA's at my old place were more about making and breaking alliances; they were won with strategy).

...I need to learn to stop saying so many words.
Dair is spammable in FFAs if the other people are close together. I won a FFA on battlefield vs 3 Meta Knights, one of which won the singles tourney. Low Tiers like Link, Ganon, C Falcon, etc are more like mid tiers in doubles and a little higher in FFAs.
If you have replays please post them.:bee:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, I wish I did, but even then they wouldn't seem so interesting unless you had us all talking to go along with them.

"Hey, fill my [G&W's] bucket and I promise I won't use it on you!"
"Quick, I'm using [Ike's] neutral B, throw him into me!"
"Hey Huggles, grab ROB's top and we'll protect you so he can't spam it anymore since you're Link and can still fight well while holding items!"
"Hold him! Lemme Flaming Uppercut/Rest him with Weegee/Jigglypuff!"
"What? Pit still has 3 lives? OK, everyone on Pit 'til he's only got one life!"
"Yess! Double Ganondorfs on random! Quick, double Ganon spike combo on Link!"
"Pokeymanz are changing out! Get your Falcon Punch ready, I'll Giant Punch him!"

It's a lot of fun, for sure. When G&W's bucket is suddenly a deadly tool against Ike and Link but not an issue at all for Pit or Falco, or ROB suddenly becomes awful at spamming while one person holds his top and the others fight him, for example, things change a lot from what you'd expect since everyone is crafty and good at working together when necessary.

MooseLink93

Smash Rookie
lol u guys probably kno this cuz its pretty common but when a move like ddds inhale and ganons utilt pulls in someone holding a bombomb and the guy thros it the bombomb goes toward wher the wind was pullin it.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I'm going to start posting random cool pictures of Link in this thread :p

I was thinking of making this my new avatar

Rizen

Smash Legend
The magnet is another word I use for Dair. Since everytime I use the move people just gravitate towards it. :laugh:
I sometimes think of Dair as the 'am I stupid or are you?' move. Sometime people jump in to it, other times they dodge and I think 'I don't know why I thought that would work' lol.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I totally agree with your thoughts on Dair being a stupid contest. That logic is proven to work in the whole CPU is stupid. They always go either jump for it or just take it as they try to out prioritize it. Which is rather stupid as well.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ha, it seems to work so much more than it should though. I'll full hop a dair, bounce on a shield, then they try to punish, just to let up their shield right in time for the second bounce to hit their head. And if you don't fast fall it it's really hard to spot dodge or roll from it without getting hit at some point. 'Course, if they do dodge it you're gonna get hit hard. It's like the same principal behind people trying to punish a MK fsmash; it's just soooo tempting..... hahaha.

IYM!

Smash Lord
jajaja hey !!

do you know?? that picture (manly Link) is a work of a chilean !!
Genzo drawn conceptual art of the Mitos y legendas cards game (myths and legends in english) usually draws women (beautiful women)

also the avatar of Thunder of Zeus, is a draw of that game made by Mauricio herrera :grin:

(also exixst a manly cloud)

Top Bottom