• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crawl in Brawl: Official Discussion here!

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
We saw a new feature in the new trailer: crawling. But how can it actually help? It may be important in certain event matches and Adventure mode, but will it acually help in battles? And in the trailer, before getting down to crawl, Solid Snake did a roll dodge. Will all characters have to do this?

Hyrulean21

Smash Apprentice
I can sort of see it used for precision spacing returning to the stage, or maybe attacks will have high or low options too? So you can duck, crawl up to someone, and attack. Say Snake straps a time bomb to your foot or something. Crawling could also be used as a tricky stage event in adventure mode or something, and you have to crawl through. Who knows, we'll have to get more gameplay footage to see if its even used in real battle.

usea

Smash Ace
The only use for crawling I can imagine, assuming it's as slow as shown in the video, is as another option to advance on a character spamming projectiles.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Advancing on projectile spammers is the best idea I can think of.

Plus, you could move while at the ready to do a crouch attack.

@ce

Smash Apprentice
hmm, wat if we can do crawling attacks? they could even add in crawling b-moves. we also dont kno how quickly u can change from crawling -> crouching/running/jumping/standing etc. I'm going to guess that its not a move that will be tooooo slow, but probably something you would have to think about in advance. itd be horrible if characters took forever to start and stop crawling.

But if there are crawling attacks then this means theres another category characters could fall under! hell, they may make bowser (assuming hes in it) better by making him a more low-attack opriented character. the possiblities!

FireBomb

Smash Lord
It's gotta have its fair share of uses...if you can attack straight out of a crawl, it can prove to be quite handy. We'll have to wait and see.

HyruleBird

Smash Apprentice
i dont know why you guys are starting a topic on that ... we only saw small gameplay trailers we cant say anything yet ...

Black/Light

Smash Master
IDK what it does but it seems like it wouldn't have gotten that much screen time if it wasn't important.

King Axel

Smash Apprentice
Well, if the invisibility power up from Melee is still usable, combined with crawling? Who knows what wonders it could do.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just exended dodging, or maybe it's SNake and Wario's Dash. Stranger things have happened. (I'm not saying it is, I'm just tryin to keep your mind open)

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
We saw a new feature in the new trailer: crawling. But how can it actually help? It may be important in certain event matches and Adventure mode, but will it acually help in battles? And in the trailer, before getting down to crawl, Solid Snake did a roll dodge. Will all characters have to do this?
Ok,heres my theory of it so far.

In case you never played any MGS games(Metal Gear Soild),there are these bombs called "claymores",which are devices set on the ground armed to blow up on a person once its "stepped on"by walking,running,jumping ect.Ok now,the only way to get passed them in the MGS series is to "crawl"(or prone)over them to collect it,and use it as your own weapon if you wished to.

Which could mean 1 or 2 humorous things crawling could be used for in this game.This is so far a theory tho.

1.To take Snake's claymore traps and use them against him

2.To crawl into small air ducts,pipes,cracked buildings to get access to higher floors.

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
Maybe another use for crawling is to avoid attacks that hit high and grabs. It may open up a different kind of high/low game like other fighting games. Dtilts, Dsmashes may have more purpose now.

As for Snake doing a roll into a crawl, that roll is probably his running attack not a roll dodge sort of thing. In MGS, it was used to knock enemies down. To do it, you held the attack button after running to go from the roll into the crawl. We've already seen his roll dodge in the trailer anyways (before he hits Pit with the RPG).

If it is actually an attack, it should be an interesting idea in SSBB to allow you to hit go into an evasive position like that.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
All I can say is: "anti-Wavedash." When I saw that a whole new position to enter was made, I jumped for joy at the thought of the possibility that this was the answer: the way of beating that physics abuse.

But, it is only a chance. I'm still quite glad that it exists, though.

HyruleBird

Smash Apprentice
All I can say is: "anti-Wavedash." When I saw that a whole new position to enter was made, I jumped for joy at the thought of the possibility that this was the answer: the way of beating that physics abuse.

But, it is only a chance. I'm still quite glad that it exists, though.
:confused: I cant seem to see your point there

Takalth

Smash Ace
As to the anti-wavedash theory, which I've read about in many places, remember that the only reason wavedashing works is because the game interprets your character as being in the air (you can't air dodge if you're on the ground), so unless you can do aerial crouches, the possibility that crawling will conveniently cancel out wavedashing is nil.

As to uses, besides those already stated, it might count as crouch cancelling if you're crawling, which would allow you to be mobile with an extremely high level of defense.

säpo.

Smash Apprentice
I think it'll be useful. I hate when my buddies shoot Super Scope at me, and i can only crouch. Now I can crouch andmove at the same time! Revenge FTW.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
peach downsmash.....omg.."panic" u can see a devil smile in her cute face before u get tornaraped by her dress >___<

Hm , if u cant atack out of the crawl , i think is useless

samus spammin missls, u crawl, she shoot 1 more , then wavedash towards u , downsmashed><

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm, crawling.

Crawling under Falco's SHL spam or Samus' missile spam.

Suppose this, though. Suppose you can't jump out of a crawl, and that crawling is activated by crouching and pushing the control stick in a diagonally down direction. That would make wavedashing nearly impossible.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
People have to be WAY more open mided than they are now. They are comparing Brawl in terms of Melee.

Brawl will be NOTHING like Melee, we have to think of this as an entirely new game!

The amount of control that Nintendo has over the game after Melee, with this huge overhaul to the Smash Brothers scene, along with all the information and the depth of the Smash Brothers community, we can pretty much garuntee that every single technique in the game will be in the Manual, thus making everybody practically equals from Day 1, and with no glitches or abuses, people will be deserately trying to find a shortcut to becoming good, when the only true way is to practice and become good with your charactor, like it is at Melee casual and like it should be!!!

*takes plenty of deep breaths and steps off of soapbox*

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
Brawl will be NOTHING like Melee, we have to think of this as an entirely new game!
Actually, Brawl is using the same physics engine as Melee. While the developers may tweak it a little bit, it will still basically be the same engine.

And also, if you let go of the control stick before you land, you will most likely still do a wavedash, because people wavedash from the air not the ground. And there is also the option of a perfect wavedash, which wouldn't involve the diagonal but more of the inbetween.

Also, L-canceling is around, but it wasn't in the video, as well as pressing L to recover just before hitting the ground after being hit in the air flying. Those were both in 64, and then Melee. They put it in on purpose, but they wanted you to figure out about them. :) It just adds a little challenge for people to find out the different secrets of the game.

And as for crawling, I think it will be useful for when you crouch and want to do a down-tilt, but your opponent dodges to the other side of you... it might be effective for turning around, instead of having to get up, turn around, and then crouch and try to down-tilt again; by the time you get finished doing this your opponent will have already rolled back. The crawling may allow you to turn around and avoid this.

Sensai

Smash Master
In short, I honestly don't see it being useful unless it can be done instantly. If it takes the form of crouch-cancelling, then it'll be useful, but that's about it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think we need to wait and see more footage before we can make a judgment call on crawling.

I don't think we've even seen it used in actual combat yet (no one hit or was hit while doing it).

cb_marth

Smash Ace
I don't know? I can't really see it being much good in 1 on 1 battles like for tournaments. I mean it looks rather slow. Maybe if it is used to dodge but other then that I can see you getting hit a lot when crawling? It looks cool though hopefully they do something to it that makes it look cool and adds some usefullness to it.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I really can't imagine any use for crawling. At all. People are suggesting that it's a possible counter to projectile spamming, but honestly, wouldn't you prefer powershielding? Wavedashing out of shield? Jumping over the projectile? Cancelling it out with a jab/tilt? All of these means of avoiding projectiles seem far better than crawling on the ground.

Of course, there's two things to consider: is there lag getting in and out of crawling mode? And what moves are available to you in crawling mode?

If crawling is ANYTHING like MGS (there's tremendous lag in between standing up from a crawl and being able to act), then I'm going to avoid it like the plague.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You all are debating the utility of moves in a game that isn't nearly complete. Am I the only one to see the fallacy in this?

Sheek

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's going to have to have some use in a real battle, otherwise, Nintendo wouldn't have put it in.

Wrench

Smash Apprentice
By the looks of what the stages are turning out to be. (Moving around and having stuff flying at you) Maybe the game wont just be about combat, but an even higher skill level of stages like the Ice mountain or Marios rainbow cruise. You may have to crawl though small areas as the screen is moving to keep alive. Plus, if they use the x or y buttons (probably just one of them, since a lot of people use them for jumping) it may be a way to do another combo move, like tripping and then doing some attack on the person

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Right now it seems pretty useless seeing as how simply rolling can easily do many of the things crawling seems to be able to do, but probably with less lag. Can't say too much about it right now, but I'm sure it'll be something good.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
They are also returning a lot to Brawl, which is how it should be. No way this is the last of the new moves, we've only scratched the surface, I believe. They're the geniuses after all. Really though, I have no opinions concerning the Brawl crawl at this point.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
The Brawl Crawl: What it really is.

Shield Walking.

It might seem like a strange idea at first, but think of when it was being performed in the trailer. Pika crossing the raceway with cars coming at him, Snake after a roll, and then a couple shots of Wario, Snake, and Pika using it.

Of course, we can't see shields in the trailer, but if you think about it, they would most likely be up. When Pika is crawling across, it's obviously slower than his dash, so why would he do it? He has his shield up around him as well and is crawling across more safely.

After Snake rolls there's the same stance that we see him crawling in a little later. So how does one get into this stance? There's not enough information to say with certainty, but probably after rolling you either hold a button or hold the direction you were rolling instead of smashing it again. One thing that can be said most likely is that moving shield positions probably won't be back since I'm thinking that you'll be crawling by tilting the control stick. Some other possibilities are that the C stick handles crawling left and right and maybe shield dropping through platforms.

It also presents another statistic for the character on top of all the ones already present in Melee, Shield crawling speed. You can see that Pika actually crawls at a decent pace, while Snake and Wario inch along more slowly. It might also bring up the question of how the shield will protect them, and it might not protect the extremities of snake as he's sprawled on the ground as well as it might protect Pika or Wario who aren't so lengthy, but that's sort of the same general rule when characters are standing as well (except Pika's shield doesn't protect him anywhere near Samus', Peach's, Sheik's, Marth's, and basically anyone besides DK, Bowser, and GW in Melee).

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt you're shielded as you're crawling. Everybody remember why they refer to Samus as SPamus in SSBM?

I believe that's what crawling is for. Falco's SHL being another potential example.

Top Bottom