• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

counterpick stages as DK?

Veggi

Smash Champion
Yeah, Jmex is right. DK is very hard to stage counter pick, the only one I could think of was like Yoshi's Island because he couldn't stage spike, but it helps his up b to somewhat make up for it.

As for best stages, my favorite is Jungle Japes, he can hog the platforms, it makes it a breeze to charge your Giant Punch because of the platforms, you won't have to worry about having your punch cancelled. In my opinion DK KO's easiest at the bottom and side, so the large roof helps DK. Also the raging water is awesome for gimping opponents which is good because DK's horizontal recovery is awesome. DK can also use his u air under the platform to hit the person on top, as well as being able to up b out of shield to keep people off of them. Also, backthrows here will kill easy. In addition if DK were to stay under the center platform and use down b, in many cases it would mess up someone's approach by only providing a small area for them to attack you in and if they land on the platform, I think you know what happens.

On the very left platform look at the right side of that platform, if you stage spike there your opponent will die, but you can still recover. Also the multiple platforms are good for spiking people in between them. Even if there is water, they will still die from a good spike. Most of the time the water will actually make it so they die if you spike them really early. The middle section has a pass through platform for DK to u-smash/u-air **** on. When someone comes out to edgeguard you, side b. It will kill them instantly on the left side of the stage despite it not always killing on normal stages due to it's lack of power. Also if you know how to play on the stage and your opponents don't they will die real easy.

Plus it looks really cool, it's beautifully lit, it has Cranky Kong in the backround and it's a DK stage. : )

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Yeah, Jmex is right. DK is very hard to stage counter pick, the only one I could think of was like Yoshi's Island because he couldn't stage spike, but it helps his up b to somewhat make up for it.

As for best stages, my favorite is Jungle Japes, he can hog the platforms, it makes it a breeze to charge your Giant Punch because of the platforms, you won't have to worry about having your punch cancelled. In my opinion DK KO's easiest at the bottom and side, so the large roof helps DK. Also the raging water is awesome for gimping opponents which is good because DK's horizontal recovery is awesome. DK can also use his u air under the platform to hit the person on top, as well as being able to up b out of shield to keep people off of them. Also, backthrows here will kill easy. In addition if DK were to stay under the center platform and use down b, in many cases it would mess up someone's approach by only providing a small area for them to attack you in and if they land on the platform, I think you know what happens.

On the very left platform look at the right side of that platform, if you stage spike there your opponent will die, but you can still recover. Also the multiple platforms are good for spiking people in between them. Even if there is water, they will still die from a good spike. Most of the time the water will actually make it so they die if you spike them really early. The middle section has a pass through platform for DK to u-smash/u-air **** on. When someone comes out to edgeguard you, side b. It will kill them instantly on the left side of the stage despite it not always killing on normal stages due to it's lack of power. Also if you know how to play on the stage and your opponents don't they will die real easy.

Plus it looks really cool, it's beautifully lit, it has Cranky Kong in the backround and it's a DK stage. : )
Couldn't have said it any better.......... About the Cranky Kong statement. I just quoted the whole thing because i was too lazy to delete what i actually wanted to quote. :)

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue the best stages are the ones where he can't get screwed as much with his lack of his vertical recovery (water or lava, Delfino/Pirate/Norfair).

skuzzel

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon stadium one.
Don't think of it often but it is.
You can trap people under the windmill with good use of cargo toss and down B.
You can get in a Down a, or cargo toss semi-infinite against any of the walls that are created on the "fire" stage.
plus it's big. It takes awhile to die and you can even use your INSANE ledge gaurd distance.

A++++++

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Green Greens is also a great DK stage. With his reach he can control both of the side platforms easily, making it tough to approach him on the platforms, and if someone hits the ground there, his tech trap games are too good. He gets easy kills of the sides and top, and can Dtilt combo off the blocks.

Peck

Smash Apprentice
Luigies Mansion is fun to play as DK because his down-b attack can crush the mansion in seconds.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't like PS1 that much as DK, because if you get below the stage you will probably get jammed by the flat bottom ledge.

I've had some success with Green Greens as well.

Honestly the stage i prefer if I have the chance to pick it is battlefield.

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
Green Greens is awesome for SA frame abuse. Just charge the Giant Punch and attack the bomb blocks while an opponent is nearby. You both take damage, but they go flying!

skuzzel

Smash Apprentice
Marco - man up and learn how to grab the edge on that stage

Im really getting tired of people sh**ing on PS1 because of the ledge. It takes 5 mins of practice to learn how to get the ledge on that stage with any character. It's infinitely easier to sweet spot there than it is to sweet spot ANY ledge in melee or 64.

Meh on corneria, you cant abuse your recovery there as well in my opinion...

you die too early there is what Im saying. In like every direction too. Obviously this is true for your oppenant as well, but for counter pick stages you want to find a place that is geared towards your character and not just neutral.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I don't like Corneria as much for DK. Sure he can get easy kills, but he gets easy kills anyways. I think you give your opponent more of an advantage here because they can KO DK much easier on this stage, and takes away from his ridiculous survivability.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I like battlefield, platforms and easy stages to stage spike on=win.
If your cp'ing vs DK, try delfino. That **** platform leaves and its very hard to catch up to it
EDIT: And walk-off's are great for early KO's too

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
In your opinion what is the worst (legal) stage for DK?

skuzzel

Smash Apprentice
I normally ban FD when I can. If your talking about overall which is worst, that is in my opinion the worst.

It's just too easy to camp DK on a stage that big, plus thier are no platforms, and getting people off the edge is a pain if they are smart.

Expect to take massive damage and be forced to kill at high percents if you go there.

On the up side, you do live to very high percents.

It might even be a good DK stage if your playing some one with out a projectile, but overall I would say it's the worst.

ook

Smash Lord
Talking about good DK stages again, nobody has said much about Delfino Plaza. I think it's (IMO) the best stage for DK.

You can water spike, which is really easy, especially with the cargo throw. (cargo them, walk into the water, jump and spike as soon as you can. Since you hit the water first, you can jump out first.)

You can wall infinite against the many walls. (cargo dthrow them against a wall to set them up, then just dtilt dtilt dtilt dtilt dtilt dtilt dtilt....)

The walk-off edges are great because DK has such good throws. Use the bthrow, or cargo dthrow.

For the worst stage, maybe Rainbow Cruise or Frigate Orpheon. Both because DK's up-b doesn't have much vertical distance, which you need on both those stages (frigate has that weird ledge that you can't grab). Although, you can also wall infinite on both those stages too, in case anyone tries to cp them on you.
So yeah, pretty much DK has no REALLY bad stages

chetjan

Smash Cadet
i personnally hate ps1 i always get stuck there when recovering- For the best stage i would probly say battlefield

spades

Smash Cadet
Talking about good DK stages again, nobody has said much about Delfino Plaza. I think it's (IMO) the best stage for DK.

You can water spike, which is really easy, especially with the cargo throw. (cargo them, walk into the water, jump and spike as soon as you can. Since you hit the water first, you can jump out first.)

You can wall infinite against the many walls. (cargo dthrow them against a wall to set them up, then just dtilt dtilt dtilt dtilt dtilt dtilt dtilt....)

The walk-off edges are great because DK has such good throws. Use the bthrow, or cargo dthrow.

For the worst stage, maybe Rainbow Cruise or Frigate Orpheon. Both because DK's up-b doesn't have much vertical distance, which you need on both those stages (frigate has that weird ledge that you can't grab). Although, you can also wall infinite on both those stages too, in case anyone tries to cp them on you.
So yeah, pretty much DK has no REALLY bad stages
I wholeheartedly agree on Delfino, my CP of choice.

After that, i tend to favor rainbow cruise because of the dtilt cheese on the boat and at the top of the level, low ceiling, and shallow sides for bthrow kills. These things are all so beneficial it outweighs the cons present.

A way to get around the recovery issues is to lead the opponent on the stage. Essentially stay ahead of them on the map as it progresses. This requires you to be cautious as it will put you closer to the edge of the map, but it also forces them to approach and potentially be grabbed and bthrown to death.

1. Delfino - too much cheese to pass up
2. Rainbow - also has it's share of cheese

As for worst stages, i almost always ban FinalD. Projectiles are definitely not conducive to a giant ape's game.

Mith_

Smash Champion
If castle siege isn't banned, that's a good level to fight on. The second walk off part is good for Bthrow kills.

Jungle Japes is a ****ing amazing level. Vs projectile spammers on that level you can do your up B under the level and latch onto any platform you want, so approaching is easy.

Ban Final Destination and Yoshi's Island.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to see that everyone agrees that JJ owns. Brinstar was ok but not as good as JJ.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
rumble falls, all the way.
the music goes well with the bongos he takes out during his final smash

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
If u ban Wigi's, then prepared to get ***** hard on JJ or Brinstar even Deflino. And if you ban any of those prepare to get ***** on Wigi's. FYI When in a tourney maining DK I ban Rainbow cruise.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
If u ban Wigi's, then prepared to get ***** hard on JJ or Brinstar even Deflino. And if you ban any of those prepare to get ***** on Wigi's. FYI When in a tourney maining DK I ban Rainbow cruise.
really? unless I know what character the opponent is playing I ban delfino or castle siege(because of DDD). If they play ROB I ban frigate orpheon. I love counter picking rainbow

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
I miss Poké Floats. : (

All the new novelty stages suck. Rainbow Ride = win.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I hate ALL moving stages. I'll stick to Brinstar or Battlefield. FD depending on who I'm fighting.

Lizard

Smash Ace
Luigis mansion Completely! down B at the bottom level combo ridiculously with the ceiling and scares any opponent from approaching!

Corneria is also a great one with the small sides setting up for a ridiculous low % back throw, plus a free kill with the down tilt lock into down smash kill at the bottom against the fin. just be careful taking DDD to the fin as chain grab grant him and free kill too.

Other characters have a down tilt lock against the fin, but DK's in superior because you can cargo carry into the wall.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
I like pokemon 1...surprise them with a moving down B with the windmill pushing you and **** them underneath it. Also you can run and charge the punch easily even against projectile characters. Stage spike is strong there as well.

Top Bottom