• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter picks against Pit and how to deal with them.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
The title pretty much says it all. I want to know what stages are commonly chosen as counter picks against Pit and how each of you deal with them. Also if you know anything about which stages are good or bad for Pit in a doubles match I would appreciate the info. I know that Final Destination is good but are there any more strategic picks?

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Well...TBH, you should not get counter picked because of your character to often, unless you main IC's, because if a character has THAT BAD of a disadvantage on a stage, chances are that they will change characters after hearing the CP. Most people CP stages that are good for the character that THEY use, as apposed to a stage thats bad for there opponent. Exceptions are characters with very obvious and punishable flaws like IC's and Olimar.

Most people I play with go by that idea, so I cant help you to much, all I know is I ban yoshis for almost every set, unless its a silly character like MK.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Am i doing right on picking FD as a counterpick for IC's?
No, IC's best stage is FD, sure you can camp, but they have a good chance of catching you, good CP for ic's are stages that force them to move around or have changing parts/hazards.

Norfair
PS1/PS2
Brinstar

those are all good ones

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Disagree... IC's chaingrabs can be made at any stage.
They're bthrows are easily linked.
So hazzards on the stages makes no difference in this MU.

The only thing that matters here is the air mobility that pit has.

cp2

Smash Rookie
FD is best stage for ICs

You need to avoid chaingrabs and FD has not much things to make it easier

For this you need the edge and platforms to run away

Any stage where you have a great edge game, for plank or whatever you want is good; also platforms, which will make grabs more difficult to connect.

Air mobility is not enough to fight them, they can chase you anywhere in FD

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's worst neutral is Yoshi's Island. Let's face it... Some ppl are gonna use the stage against us, and we should be aware on what we can do to improve here.

Now, why is it Pit's worst neutral? First off, the Shy guys... they can block arrows, and Pit needs his arrows for offensive and defensive capabilities, and heck, even to ledge camp.
Speaking of the ledge... because of the tiny slopes close to each ledge of the stage, Pit's options are more limited. One such option Pit doesn't have is the N-air back to stage, as the slow will make Pit suffer from N-air's landing lag. A flat stage like Battlefield would allow Pit to do the N-air thing without landing lag.
And of course, because the stage doesn't allow Pit to fly to the other side, and Pit has less recovery options because of it.

I've gathered info about Lucario being quite good here and could use it against us. I'm sure plenty of other chars could use the stage to their advantage against a Pit. So learning about this stage and what we could do there could help out in the long run, and knowing what some characters could do, like Lucario's wall cling on the stage's vertical walls on each side of the stage (below the ledge).

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
I agree that Yoshi's Island is tough for Pit but on the plus side I did notice that if you manage to hit an opponent with the angel ring and end the slide on one of the declines on the uneven stage, it makes it much harder for the opponent to escape from even if they know how to DI it.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Btw, i don't think that shy guys makes the stage bad for pit.
Yoshi Island is a bad place for pit just because it is small.
We can be outranged by anyone on this stage.

The arrow can be stoped by the plataform and if timmed well, your opponent can reach you in the time that you pull out one arrow. (Aka Marth, Mk, diddy etc etc etc...).

But yeah, worst neutral ever.

link2702

Smash Champion
I know JJ is a pretty good stage for pit, he can basicly just camp with arrows on the two platforms on the sides of the stage, which when the oppenent trys to approach you, can alot o the times screw em up from the air into the river, and since most characters don't multijumps like pit does, it makes things very hard for em to recover from the river.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's better stages vary on some situations, but it includes the following:

-FD
Here, Pit has a lot of room to camp, simple. However, the use of the stage is bad when fighting someone who can surpass Pit's own camping (like TL and Falco... Falco mainly), hereby turning this stage into a possible ban. In other cases, Diddy's naner game thing and your typical ICs also makes this a bad place.
As long as Pit can camp effectively without dealing with too much campy competition or someone who can truly use the large flat stage to their advantage, then this place is fine.

-Japes
A bit of a useful place to camp, and Pit's capable of using the water to his advantage.

-RC
Well, I wouldn't say that this completely benefits Pit, as there are some characters that just really use the place well, but there are some characters that benefit this place too, mostly noted MK, Kirby, and others with a good recovery. However, if there is a character with a bad recovery, Pit can use the place to his advantage. However, the place just isn't completely as reliable as the others.

-Norfair
This stage was originally available, then banned, and now available again for MLG. This stage benefits Pit's camping quite well, as he can get from ledge to ledge. He's capable of getting to any ledge without standing on a platform. The stage itself weakens many CGs and even hampers with Snake's explosives.
The stage effects ICs, Falco, Snake, Diddy, and Dedede the most, which are all characters that give Pit problems.
As for the hazards, On the side lava falls, Pit can block em with Mirror Shield as long as he's facing the lava. So if the lava is coming from the left, Pit should face the left. For the lava bursts that come in the background, same thing, but don't go completely in the middle or Pit may get hit. For the lava wave, aside from shielding (not mirror shield) it or using the invincibility frames from the ledges, Pit can simply use Up-B to fly up and avoid the wave.
However, this helps Bowser and Link (who are not common anyways) live completely longer, and obviously MK has a use for it. Regardless, this is a great place for the angel.

And that's all I have, I guess.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
thanks admiral I didn't know that we could fly over the wave on norfair but when I tried it when I was fighting a friend of mine, I kept forgetting to leave a spare jump before using WOI and fell helpless. Thats pretty much a lost stock every time lol. Just a word to the wise, if you have a habit of forgetting to leave a spare jump when recovering or anything like I do, don't try going over the wave in a tourney or money match =P

Dmo

Smash Rookie
I like Bridge of Eldin because its good for shooting arrows across and for pits glide attacks.

Top Bottom