• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Custom Movesets Be Used In Tourneys?

ottobot

Smash Cadet
Now, before we say anything, I know this is pretty unlikely. However, looking at some of the very interesting custom moves available, I thought, why not? There are quite a few competitive video games that allow some degree of character customization (LoL's builds, any Trading Card Game's decks, even Team Fortress 2's loadouts) and for the most part, these custom moves seem rather balanced and interesting. Ganondorf's sword and most of Palutena's moves come to mind. Of course, there's a lot of possibility for game-breaking combos as well, and the fact that all tournaments would have to be face to face dispite online capabilities, but community-imposed bans and the fact that most tournaments are f2f anyways could solve these problems. Over all, I'm on the fence. Thoughts?

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's up to a mod. Anyways, there are plenty of people who are convinced they're unbalanced, and a comparable number who think they'll be fine if not "better" balanced. I think they should be allowed, but it'll be up to the tourney op to decide, I guess. The main complaint is that they take a fair while to unlock, so it may be a logistical issue. I don't think that's an issue on the 3DS version (if you wanna compete in a Customs Legal tourney when you don't have 'em, that is your own decision), or in the long term on the U (like characters, they should be considered part of a tourney-ready setup if they're legal).

In a best case scenario from my perspective, they'll be legal. Average case is they get banned or allowed case-by-case (or certain "standard" loadouts are allowed or not), worst case is they're banned outright. Especially for Palutena players (and Miis, if those are allowed), not having customs really limits your moveset.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I sure hope so. Would really change up the gameplay.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If everyone uses their own 3DS it might work, hell, it could be what separates 3DS and WiiU smash4 tourney rules

nintyplayer

Smash Cadet
If custom controller setups will be allowed, I see no reason why custom movesets should not be allowed,
Of course, certain game-breaking customizations should not be allowed. However, these custom movesets are as much a part of the game and as much a part of each character's arsenal as the standard moveset. Certain characters may even be dropped down multiple tiers due to the weaknesses in their standard moveset, and that would be a shame.

If a moveset is a massive exploit and harms the balance of the game, it should be banned. If a move is a massive exploit and harms the balance of the game, it should be banned. But if Pokemon tournaments can regulate which moves and combinations of abilities are allowed, it's not beyond the Smash community to go into each moveset and decide what is fair and what is not.

As for those of you who think it will take too much time to set up matches, I don't believe so. Custom movesets are probably saved onto the 3DS and can probably be accessed immediately. Players will also likely be able to access them through connection to the WiiU. So, it's only a matter of a few seconds.

If you want Smash to just be a game about speed, go play Melee. :troll:

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
I can actually see it as viable. Specifically speaking, certain custom move combinations being suitable as a mild counter pick towards other characters.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
I think it has to for the 3DS version to be competitively preferable to the WiiU insome aspect.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Now that we know move combinations can be preset and then picked from on the fly, I could definitely see it happening. There'd have to be rules set around when you can change your moveset and possibly limits on which can be used, but overall, I bet they'll be viable.

I hope so, at least. There's a ton of potential depth there.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Now that we know you can change custom moves from the CSS, I see absolutely no reason why they should be banned other than perhaps not everyone having them unlocked. However, this is only an issue for the Wii U version since there's obviously no need for you to have your opponent's moves unlocked on your own 3DS. And since we'll be able to transfer our stuff from the 3DS to the Wii U, that means we'll all have several months to unlock them all. According to the Treehouse, you're more likely to find custom moves for the character you're using, so farming should be simpler than the raw numbers indicate. Any rules would center around when you're allowed to change them rather than if you can use them in the first place.

tl;dr I fully expect them to be legal.

Last edited:

ottobot

Smash Cadet
yea, I didn't know movesets could be picked on the fly like that. Now that i know that, it seems pretty clear that given all the depth they bring, they're going to be made legal. Of course, the players who tend to embody the "no items flat stages as little variation as possible" mindset of tournament play might be a little more opposed, but we'll see.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps a certain number of custom moves total. Like for example if its four, you could either have one set with all custom specials or four with one custom special each for certain matchups.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i can see them being legal? maybe there will be some banned ones, and maybe there will be some RECOMMENDED ones (to boost a character whose might have a better time with a slight improvement)

i personally love adding actual damage-dealing to duckhunt's recovery... though i still hate zamus's upb (haven't unlocked customization 3 for it yet so we'll see).

a ton of them seem like they are more objective-based, e.g. doing a non-battle mode. or for smash run. it feels like every special has a customization option designed to play for smash run. whether or not these will be effective in 1v1s will probably be very highly tested, especially once the international versions come out.

Last edited:

Heavy C4

Smash Cadet
All custom movesets should be useable

If we can't used them in tournaments because it takes time to unlock, characters that needs time to be unlock should also be banned.

There are an total of 618 custom moves for all the characters. Miis should not ba banned. The only thing is should be questioned on being banned or not are equip items to raise stats.

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
At this point it's purely dependant on how quickly players can choose their custom moves as well as if we can find a hack to unlock them all for tournament (when discussing the wii u version). It helps game balance a lot, honestly.

Heavy C4

Smash Cadet
Here some help.

SD CARD
COPY AND PASTE MEMORY FROM SMASH WII/3DS
PROBLEM SOLVED

Seriously, it like the memory card from gamecube. There is no need for an hack.

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
Here some help.

SD CARD
PROBLEM SOLVED

I don't know about any of it. I was just saying what Gimr said.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Here some help.

SD CARD
PROBLEM SOLVED

It is not. Saves are encrypted on both Wii U and 3DS. Would require a hack.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I feel it should at least be attempted first, then ruled on. We don't yet know whether they actually are hideously unbalanced.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Well according to nintendo at E3 they mentioned you could copy your unlocked moves and equipment from your 3DS to your Wii U, so depending on if you can repeatedly do that, and if it does indeed copy the moves, that makes unlocking them easy as long as the venue has access to at least 1 copy of the 3DS version with everything unlocked.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think Custom Moves will be easy. Here's why:

1.) The game is programmed to give you more custom moves for the character you're using.

2.) Because the game is handheld, players use their own copy to play against others.

That means that people only have to focus on unlocking moves for their main. You don't have to unlock custom moves for every character.

Top Bottom