• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CORRECTED mechanics of Wolf's shine and other impressions

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
I have played with wolf a pretty good amount and have noticed some mecahnics with his shine.

1. His shine spikes similar to fox's shine.

2. His shine reflects projectiles faster back then when it hit the reflector. I did not test if it amplifies damage also.

3. His shine cancels out slower than fox's.

Now for the most interesting mechanic:

4. His shine does NOT stop his VERTICAL momentum like fox's shine, It does cancel most of his horizontal momentum. This is both good and bad.

UPDATE: the more I experiment with it the less I find it useful. You cant combo out of the shine as you can easily get hit or shielded before you can do anything. The shinespike does not send them as far as fox's and with the not stopping vertical momentuem it usually sends you further or as far as the person getting spiked. there just seems to be better edgeguarding options.

. There is still potential with his shine.

I would also like to add that wolf is definitely up there potential wise. I would not be surprised if he ended up top or very high tier.

Other impressions of moves:

His fsmash is really really good. It does work very well as a surprise move or to interupt them. It is two hits.

Dsmash is surprisingly powerful and fast. It can also duck under aerials. I have killed peaches several times dsmashing under her fair and killing her around 100-120 (which is pretty low in brawl).

Usmash is multiple hitting and is a pretty good vertical killer. It can go through platforms from the ground and thats the main use I have found for it.

His ftilt has a lot of range and does good damage. It also freezes time similar to falcons knee.

His utilt is a pretty good juggle, looks similar to fox's except in front of him

I didnt find use for his dtilt as it always seemed to be better options.

Bair, Fair, and Dair out of sheild are all very useful.

His Bair is his best aerial. A lot of range, can be combo'd off itself, and is a horizontal killer. Also was my prime way to edgeguard.

His Fair is a vertical killer and can be used out of sheild incredibly fast.

Dair is a meteor and sets up well to juggles and tech chasing.

His Uair is his main combo aerial and does its job very well. Don't expect to kill with it.

His Nair I could not find much use for it. As it is multiple hitting and the last hit only has a little bit of knockback. If you short hop it, it usually ends before it gets that last hit in. I thought at first you can do nair to grab or nair to jab. This shouldnt work though as during the lag of the nair you can get hit.

He has a really good recovery.

If you hit someone with the tip of his side B it does a good amount of damage and knockback. I did not test to see if it works when you shorten it.

He can not grab the edge backwards at the END of his up B.

His blaster is a great projectile and starts off at 6%. There is a bayonet on it so if used in close range it knocks them back usually into the shot.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Can Wolf's shine be held like Fox's? Or does it come on and go back off more like Naryru's love? I haven't seen many videos of it.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
...Ah ok. I'll just wait till the site has Wolf avatars.

Anyway, good luck for finding more Wolf stuff. This will really help a lot.

Reynbo

Smash Cadet
So the shine not disrupting your momentum gave me an idea.I read in other places that shorthopped aerials can go over your oppenents head quite easily so what if you shined before you aerialed?Or is the lag coming out of the shine to large for that to happen without being interrupted?

Fev

Smash Cadet
Can someone please direct me to a post the explains what utilt, or Bair, Fair means? I'm so lost right now =x

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Can someone please direct me to a post the explains what utilt, or Bair, Fair means? I'm so lost right now =x
utilt: Upward strong attack; tilt the control stick and press A.
Bair: Backwards aerial move. push the control stick opposite the direction you're facing and press A.
Fair: Forward aerial move; pust the control stick in the direction you're facing and press A.

Anyway, this is very useful info.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
question. I've only seen a few wolf gameplay vids and i've noticed that not a lot of people use his shine. But from what you're saying it sounds pretty broke. is it just different play styles or do you think the "wolfenshine" will be spammed a few months down the road after brawl comes out?

regardless, with this new info there may be hope for those former fox players out there.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Hmm... now that I think about it, there aren't much vids showing his Shine for offense.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
the more I experiment with it the less I find it useful. You cant combo out of the shine as you can easily get hit or shielded before you can do anything. The shinespike does not send them as far as fox's and with the not stopping vertical momentuem it usually sends you further or as far as the person getting spiked. there just seems to be better edgeguarding options.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
well, that's ok if he can't shine-spike well. I agree with you lucien, i have noticed he has quite the assortment of edgeguarding tactics (if edgeguarding is effective in brawl), that just means we'll have to get used to a new style of play.

All in all, I think Wolf is going to produce way more tricks from his sleeve, shine-spike aside.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I really want to say that Wolf doesn't have sleeves. XDXDXD

<_<

Yeah I know... Idioms. XP

Top Bottom