• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controlling space using Peaches' ability to change directions

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Alright guys this will be the last topic I make in a long time…(hopefully) but I’ve had a lot of time to think about Peach, and I want to share and either get shot down, corrected or see some improvements.

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ

Peach is the only character in the game who can stop and/or change her direction on the ground instantaneously by floating and instantly releasing it (wasping). We should use this unique ability (very sparingly however) to punish laggy attacks or opponents giving chase to us.

Here’s the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYW6IejEBg#t=3m21s

MAIN TOPIC

As you may know, I like to do a lot of flashy stuff, whether it’s Dair turnip combos, wasping, 0 to death and whatnot… and while it can be helpful, Razmakazi kind of set my mind in the right direction when he said it would probably be better to focus on spacing and being good and forcing mistakes than gimmicks. So I took that to heart and started thinking more about spacing and how we can be safe, but still apply pressure on the opponent or at least make them uncomfortable.

It all came back to again to Peachs’ lack of horizontal range. I can’t get enough of it haha. I was thinking of more ways to punish besides the Instant Dash Attack (which is amazing), and I considered the scenario where you have to turn around and react, specifically out of a dash or running.

There are three options:

Pivoting during the run - Normally to change your direction you would have to deal with the frames of turning around and dashing the other way. There’s no way she could use this to punish anyone, it’s too slow.

Shield dashing – Dashing and then holding shield to stop your momentum. It works effectively with characters like MK/Olimar/Samus who have quick shield-dashes, but characters like Marth and Peach have slow dashes and can’t throw the shield up for a long time. It’s not effective for turning around.

Floating – Peach could run/dash and jump and float backwards to somewhat change her direction. You could use it for mindgames or punish a super-laggy attack. But for the most part it is too slow too because her float speed is slow.

So I was thinking how am I supposed to punish or unnerve my opponent if I can’t get close to them in time? Airgemini mentioned this in menounderwaters’ Share a Peach tip which has been an amazing reference topic. He said this:

Airgemini said:
That you can cancel your dash with any attack by doing a quick ground Float and releasing while following up with whatever attack you wish? Peach is the only character that can do this.

Peach is the one character I can think of that can instantly change her direction without having to shield or pivot. That’s by instantly cancelling her float out of a run or dash. Here’s the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYW6IejEBg

With this, you can use it to punish or at the very least reset your spacing to something more aggressive against the opponent, so that they feel they are never safe. I have coined the phrase (I know you’re tired of hearing it) wasping, because it’s the same jerky, disturbing, harassing movement a wasp has. Use it to stop, use it to turn around or get just out of their spacing. Better yet, turn on a level 9 peach computer and watch her use it on you to bait an airdodge or movement and she punishes you.

It gives you more options than ever out of a run or dash, and I think we need to use it more. Talk about stage control. If you have just dashed away from a hairy situation that leaves your opponent in lag, instead of staying away from them, you could stop your momentum with the wasp and come back with a jab or instant dash attack of smash.

I'm not saying do it willy-nilly, because you can and will be punished. This is again aggressive spacing if you want to make the opponent uncomfortable and be in there face. There's always the safer option of moving far away and picking a turnip out.

Any comments?

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Have you ever been in this scenario:

Metaknight/any character is running after you across final destination. You have no turnip in hand.
- If you try to pivot and run the other way, you WILL get hit because it’s too slow.
- You can try to pivot grab. But Peach’s pivot grab is slow so you have to start early.
- You can try and jump away or jump and aerial them, but when they see you jump, they follow the jump and use a short hop aerial or even worse shield -> out of shield option.
- If you try to shield, that can work but they will grab you or sh fair/nair at the tip of your shield, out of your range (but not if you use instant dash attack  see topic).

Instead of being left with no options. Wasp to instantly change your direction and jab at them, dash attack, dtilt, ftilt to stop the aerial approach..... whatever!

Just an example. Sorry for the double post

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Good read.
You explained alot of stuff very well in the video and offered nice examples.
I'm going to try to implement this into my playstyle.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYW6IejEBg#t=3m21s

Use this link to see what Lance is talking about. Only putting this in cause people have short attention spans...me included :p
Also I thought what you called wasping using ground Floating Fairs/Bairs to shift Peach's body?

Anyway, what you're suggesting is interesting and I'm surprised I've overlooked something like this. Looks like it could be useful if you want to throw out a sudden attack in the face of a chasing enemy. I'll give it a try

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Are you pivoting before the float cancel? I can't think of any other way this could be possible. If you canceled a dash with a ground float, moved backwards slightly, then released wouldn't she just move backwards slightly while facing the same direction?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Good highlighting - I didn't think to take advantage of the instant stop and turnaround like this. Nice!

I also support the creation of more threads! Everything you've posted has been pretty invaluable, and as long as you're not repeating yourself, I see no problems with new threads for new stuff!

Also I thought what you called wasping using ground Floating Fairs/Bairs to shift Peach's body?
Yea, I was under the assumption wasping was bair and fair movement. This would need a new term. "Instant float"? :o

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I guess you could say wasping is the fair/bair movement yes... but wasping no longer needs fair, I rarely do that methord. Now I actually do the wavedash input, a really fast float cancelled jump without the fair input. But I mean, if you just call "wasping" the process of instantly ground floating in a direction, that might work.

Thanks for the encouragement. That's all I've been thinking about so far. And it's odd, I get these thoughts from watching Armada melee peach videos haha

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
whoa i thought of like just the float stops into aerials or like RARing to float but i never thought of using it to access turnaround versions of her entire moveset. being able to run able and use jab's priority n **** is reaaaaaally good. good **** lance :D

Top Bottom