• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controllers...

twnz

Smash Cadet
So anyway I've been playing smash for along time now.. and well, i stopped playing awhile ago cuz my controller broke, cuz well, i broke it. lol.

I was thinking of getting a wavebird, but one of the only things thats bothering me is if there is any lag while using it? :confused:

There has to be like.. a millisecond of lag right? (i mean.. that kinda lag can cause u to lose... am i right?)

I'm used to the normal controller but i like the idea of a wireless controller. Do any pro smashers use a wavebird? lol...

$ick

Smash Lord
Lol, a joke between my crew and me, if we are ever playing a tournament match against someone with a wave bird they are probably a newb. I wouldn't use it.. =/

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
The information is still carried at the speed of light, just through the air rather then wire.

Think about it - do you notice the lag of the image from the TV going to your eyes?

The lag is not noticable in the slightest bit, don't worry about that. The only real concerns (in my opinion) are battery life, slightly increased chance of losing it, the possibility of more then 15 people using wavebirds at a tournament or smashfest with no free channels left for you, and lastly some ******* using a wavebird on your channel to **** you up.

All in all there's nothing serious, its fine. I'd just make sure to put in fresh batteries before playing a serious match, like at a tourny.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Actually, it's probably not fine.
If you're in the market, I wouldn't buy a wavebird. If you're at a big tournament, your frequency could get jacked. There are only so many.

Fletch

Smash Master
That and most tournaments don't allow wavebirds. Just buy a wired controller, they are much more reliable for Smash. Although the "lag" experienced with Wavebirds is just a myth, as the earlier posters noted, there are too many other problems you could possibly experience during a tournament, someone using the same channel at you being the most obvious/worst problem of using one.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I only use a Wavebird because it's in better condition that my wired controllers. Of course I only play casually (I'm as good as a bad pro, but I only play other casuals) so it doesn't matter anyway.

tappy

Smash Ace
dont get the wavebird. it's sucks especially for smash.. it's almost like your character doesn't react to the buttons that you're pushing as fast as he should. and i noticed this the first time i used the wavebird too..

twnz

Smash Cadet
ok. thanks lol.. i already went to bb and bought a controller. lucky enough theyre still selling gamecube controllers unlike everywhere else.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Wrong

The information is still carried at the speed of light, just through the air rather then wire.
The problem with that is that with a wire, information is going directly from the button, through the wire, to the cube. With the WaveBird, the info is going from the button, to a converter, through the air, to another converter, and into the cube. Those changes from wired, to wireless actually does make lag.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
The problem with that is that with a wire, information is going directly from the button, through the wire, to the cube. With the WaveBird, the info is going from the button, to a converter, through the air, to another converter, and into the cube. Those changes from wired, to wireless actually does make lag.
This is untrue; unless you guys have been using some majorly messed up wavebirds. The point of them is that there isnt any difference, and that they're wireless. Sure its more -possible- for something mechanically to go wrong if your wavebird screws up, but by default they aren't slower. I've been playing with a wavebird for a long time, and the only difference when i play with a wired controller is the weight of the thing itself. There is no lag difference, unless you've broken your wavebird. I would definately say go with a wired controller for tournaments, though... the whole frequency thing can be a problem. If you're gonna be tourney heavy, get a nice wired controller... preferably of a cool color... or something that can distinguish it from all the others. I've had friends get their nice ones switched with totally broken controllers of the same color, right under their noses. So yeah. 0_o

Wired controllers FTW

Pariah

Smash Apprentice
See, the thing is, you won't see them at tournaments because they're just not enough channels. Which means interference. Imagine: You're about to fourstock (while the wavebird channel is, five.) some random noob but you randomly start moving, and you're "Huh".

As for lag, I don't know.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
You have to "convert" the info from the button in the wired controllers, too. Otherwise there'd be one little connector in the port for each button - and there clearly isn't.

Ever open a controller up? There's a reason there's actually some complexity inside.

There's no humanly-noticable difference in lag. If you just play friendlies, there's an issue with battery life. If you go to tournies, gotta be careful of having someone hijack your frequency.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You have to "convert" the info from the button in the wired controllers, too. Otherwise there'd be one little connector in the port for each button - and there clearly isn't.

Ever open a controller up? There's a reason there's actually some complexity inside.

There's no humanly-noticable difference in lag. If you just play friendlies, there's an issue with battery life. If you go to tournies, gotta be careful of having someone hijack your frequency.
A lag of one frame is humanly noticeable. That's 1/60 of a second of lag. Such a thing can still affect certain players' games, mostly Fox's.

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
Wavebird = bad idea. It's usually a sign of being green when a smasher has a wavebird in his hands.

Between the wired and wireless though, the signal has to travel to the console anyways. Whether an electric signal propogating along the wire is quicker than radio waves moving through the air, I dunno. But you could always look up which is faster on wikipedia.

TranquilStarfall

Smash Journeyman
Smash is probably one of the only games you dont play with a Wavebird, since this game requires frame perfect timing, and wavebirds dont proivde that.
There is no noticeable lag in the wavebird. The only difference really is that it's a bit bulkier. As for lag there is none. I can't say as a fact cuz as it is a wireless device it will have lag but is it within 1/60th of a second..I'm pretty sure it is. But then again all electronic devices have lag, even wired ones it's just it's so fast that you really can't notice it. And if you were gonna mention why tourney players don't use wavebirsd..it's not cuz of the lag....or the potential of lag (it being a wireless device there truly is no 100% guarantee that other devices won't interfere) but more due to the fact that if you go to a tourney with a wavebird you're considered a scrub and some people worry about the possibility of other wavebirds interfering which is....unlikely. Wow I wrote an essay on this shiz....anyway POINT IS. WAVEBIRD isn't laggy.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
There is no noticeable lag in the wavebird. The only difference really is that it's a bit bulkier. As for lag there is none. I can't say as a fact cuz as it is a wireless device it will have lag but is it within 1/60th of a second..I'm pretty sure it is. But then again all electronic devices have lag, even wired ones it's just it's so fast that you really can't notice it. And if you were gonna mention why tourney players don't use wavebirsd..it's not cuz of the lag....or the potential of lag (it being a wireless device there truly is no 100% guarantee that other devices won't interfere) but more due to the fact that if you go to a tourney with a wavebird you're considered a scrub and some people worry about the possibility of other wavebirds interfering which is....unlikely. Wow I wrote an essay on this shiz....anyway POINT IS. WAVEBIRD isn't laggy.

Thank you. That definitely needs to be said. People are a bit paranoid about the wavebird thing. : /

Top Bottom