• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller questions

HMwarrior

Smash Rookie
I've been playing smash regularly since the beginning of smash 4 with a group of friends and I like to consider myself pretty good, but ive always had a hard time choosing a controller. My main controller of preference is a pro-styled controller (Wii U/Switch) since I've had the most practice with them and feel the most comfortable. My one problem with these controllers are the analog sticks being too sensitive to flicks from dashes on release, and more often than not, I'm accidentally pivoting because of this (ex: Accidental pivot grabs while releasing dash, and accidental B reversals on neutral specials after jumping on samus, DK, Simon)

Another big problem I have on some characters with directional recoveries/side B, are accidental mis-inputs on up Bs, like Richter and incineroar. Ill press up B slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) to the left or right and go the wrong direction from the ledge.

I would use the gamecube controller if I didn't dislike the button layout, my main control scheme on pro uses Y as grab and X as jump, so pressing B on a gamecube controller is really common for me when I try to grab. But I really do favor the directional divots on the gamecube controller stick, Is there any controller out there that has the same stick as a gamecube controller, but with a pro controller button layout? In currently using a Generic PowerA wired pro controller, which I like the button and the triggers, but the dead zones in the sticks are massive, and its hard to get precise inputs from them. If anybody has any tips on alleviating the problems I'm having, please do comment. I'm always looking to improve. Thanks!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
How about we expand the scope of this thread to include all questions about controllers? I don't think I’m the only one sick of seeing several new threads asking simple questions about controllers in my alerts every week.

Last edited:

HMwarrior

Smash Rookie
How about we expand the scope of this thread to include all questions about controllers? I don't think I’m the only one sick of seeing several new threads asking simple questions about controllers in my alerts every week.
Heh, yeah. Sorry about that. I didn't really know where else to turn and had hoped someone was having troubles with what I have trouble with, and possibly knew of a controller that might fit my play style.

HMwarrior

Smash Rookie
Heh, yeah. Sorry about that. I didn't really know where else to turn and had hoped someone was having troubles with what I have trouble with, and possibly knew of a controller that might fit my play style.
I see a lot of people online asking about input delay on controllers and which is best, but I don't really mind that. I just want to stop recovering friggin backwards at ledges with Simon and Incineroar, even 4+ years of practice and I still get accidental pivot grabs and B reversals lmao

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I’m pretty sure there are websites that sell costume controllers including octagonal gates in switch pro controllers. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post links here but I know a website. They’re Nintendo controllers just modded

Last edited:

HMwarrior

Smash Rookie
I’m pretty sure there are websites that sell costume controllers including octagonal gates in switch pro controllers. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post links here but I know a website. They’re Nintendo controllers just modded
Huh, I'd be willing to bet they're probably pretty expensive. If you want you could send me a message with the link, I'm interested to take a look at them at least. Thanks!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Huh, I'd be willing to bet they're probably pretty expensive. If you want you could send me a message with the link, I'm interested to take a look at them at least. Thanks!
Sent you the message

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Well either you use the pro Controller or the Gamecube Controller. There are no real alternatives in my opinion. No third party Controller is better (except if you are on a budget).

I saw a video on YouTube about the lag. The pro Controller is as fast as the gc Controller in roughly 86% of the inputs or just 1 frame behind if i recall correctly.

So if you want to compete at top level you might consider the Gamecube. If you just want to compete casually while still having a real life job the pro Controller will get the job done (assuming you find the pro more comfortable).

I think you will get used to the sensitivity if you keep playing. For me it feels great and i don’t want to change my Controller even though i have new gc Controllers in my shelf.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
This game does have input lag. Last smash i played was brawl and though the movement is slow, the reaction from input was smooth as wet butter. In this game its like the analogs on your controller are sticky.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Well either you use the pro Controller or the Gamecube Controller. There are no real alternatives in my opinion. No third party Controller is better (except if you are on a budget).

I saw a video on YouTube about the lag. The pro Controller is as fast as the gc Controller in roughly 86% of the inputs or just 1 frame behind if i recall correctly.

So if you want to compete at top level you might consider the Gamecube. If you just want to compete casually while still having a real life job the pro Controller will get the job done (assuming you find the pro more comfortable).

I think you will get used to the sensitivity if you keep playing. For me it feels great and i don’t want to change my Controller even though i have new gc Controllers in my shelf.
I’m using the Power A wireless controller while I wait for my GameCube controller and adapter to ship and it’s a really solid controller. It basically feels and performs exactly like a GameCube controller

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I’m using the Power A wireless controller while I wait for my GameCube controller and adapter to ship and it’s a really solid controller. It basically feels and performs exactly like a GameCube controller
Does it have a port to charge if you put rechargeable batterys inside ? And if not: does it last longer than a pro Controller? Also the price seems a bit too much as you can get a Nintendo pro Controller or a single gc + adapter for roughly the same price (source amazon).

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Does it have a port to charge if you put rechargeable batterys inside ? And if not: does it last longer than a pro Controller? Also the price seems a bit too much as you can get a Nintendo pro Controller or a single gc + adapter for roughly the same price (source amazon).
It uses AA batteries and lasts forever

Top Bottom