• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Customization

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'd also like to figure this stuff out. I've got a nice white analog stick, but it would be sicknasty to further customize my buttons.

...unless someone knows a type of paint that is A. Not sticky and B. doesn't rub off easily.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I went to Ace a few weeks back and bought plastic specific spray paint; i forgot the brand but it worked quite well on the controller shell and is not sticky or rubbing off at all. I didn't touch the buttons though, afraid it would become super janky.

this probably should go here anyway: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288887

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
3d printing could come in handy for something like this...not really worth it if you don't already have a 3d printer though. There are some 3d printing services out there if you're really desperate.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Plastic modeling paint, and potentially nail polish are two alternatives. I'm going to test them out soon.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Back in 08 there use to be a controller customization thread. I'd try to look for it as there were TONS of examples in it, a how to, and a few video links.

Basically, if you want to paint a controller, you need to do 4 things:
1) Get a tri-wing screwdriver to take the GC controller apart. Nintendo uses these screws a lot, so keep it handy for modding other N products as well.
2) Get some coarse and fine sandpaper and go to town on the casing. You need to create a rough surface for the primer to bind to.
3) Plastic primer (special primer that binds to plastic). It will make a difference in the long run compared to just paining.
4) Clear coat

If you want to make a fluorescent green controller, for example, it costs a few dollars for a can of paint, a couple bucks for some sandpaper, a little bit for the primer, and about a weekend of time to devote to this (One day for sanding it down and then priming, the second day for painting, and a third day for reassembling and touching up).

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Plastic modeling paint, and potentially nail polish are two alternatives. I'm going to test them out soon.
I'm not sure nail polish would work well, at the very least wouldn't it come off super easily.

There's a specific type of spray paint your supposed to sue. Not sure what but I know a guy who cusotmizes consoles and controllers for sale and he uses a certain type of spray paint+some type of finisher or something to avoid sticky buttons.

Corigames

Smash Hero
My advice applies to buttons too.
You just have to have some patience and be ready to spend some time sanding down buttons, prime them, paint them, then clear coat them. You also have to do it in as few layers as possible or it won't fit in the slot and you'll have to sand the sides down in order to fit it in.
Make sure to give the parts your prime and paint about 10-12 hours before applying the next layer and don't let them bake in the sun either. You'll get this weird wrinkling effect. Take the time to do it right and it will be fine. I made one controller that was all white with green buttons and a one up symbol in the middle and it didn't rub off or stick after months of use. As a matter of fact, the springs broke in it before the paint did anything.

Edits:
Both of those guides have tips for painting buttons and also for doing things with LEDs.
As for sticks, I don't know. You'd have to get something for rubber and I don't know if there's a product for that. If there is, I get the feeling the same thing applies there.

Kal

Smash Champion
I've heard of people dying the plastic by placing them in boiling water with RIT dye. I might try this with a spare controller some time.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
oh ****, really?

any idea if that works with all colors of plastic? We sell RIT dye at work, I'm considering doing that now.

Kal

Smash Champion
Hell man, if you have a spare controller, it's worth a shot. I assume you have to sand off the paint first, though. Not sure how good it will look.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
I've sanded a controller before to paint it (which i messed up, needed to wait longer for it to dry/ not use a satin clear coat) and its the same color underneath. it was a black controller though, not a silver one.

Anyone else have experience with dye on GC controllers?

Top Bottom