• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Control stick to jump?

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
I've been wondering if i should turn off the option of using the control stick to jump because sometimes it can mess up Utilt and Usmash (even Up aerial if u don't want to do second jump)

but i'm afraid i've kinda gotten used to it and it can be good for speedier jumping so i'm not sure what to do...

my question is whether competitive players or just anyone uses it or not?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I use it. I'm weird and jump with the stick though.

I suggest you practice doing tilts with a fast character like Sheik or Sonic with tap jump on. Practice starting one tilt as soon as the last tilt you did was finished. Especially dtilt -> utilt. They don't have to connect as a combo in training mode. The idea is to practice doing tilts so that you can do them on command, without accidentally smashing or jumping.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I see you like Yoshi. As Yoshi you definitely want it off as you might lose your second jump doing Up Bs for recovery. You should save your second jump to abuse super armor in your edge recovery if you have to.

Foda

Smash Apprentice
NEVER use the control stick to jump! The fact that the option is even there to turn it off is amazing, as it is simply an advantage no matter how you look at it.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Turn it off. The one time you get a bit overexcited at recovering and waste your second jump trying to uair or up-b you'll regret it.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Tap jump off simply gives you more control. It is an option that I absolutely love about brawl. It makes tilting easier, it makes dash-dancing easier, it makes up airing easier. It also allows the Cstick to be used for uptilting by idly pushing up on the joystick before c-sticking. Not to mention that shorthopping is immensely easier with X/Y, and turning off tap jump makes this your only option.

Umby

Smash Master
If it really hinders your play that much, then turn it off, by all means. However, I find some quirky things I might use tap jump for in the midst of a heated moment, plus I have no issue performing tilts. Hence I keep tap jump on.

I also hear accounts of players setting their c-stick to "Attack" so they can perform tilts with that. Perhaps you might try that as well.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
If you're careful, Tap Jumping really doesn't mess up your game. But there are no real beneficial effects you'll get from using the joystick. I personally leave it on because it's a bad habit of mine from SSB64 days.

Krug

Smash Cadet
I use it, I tried using the X button, as I use the Gamecube Controller. I can't get the hang of using three things on the controller (Joystick, A, X) just for an air attack. I never get over excited and waste my mid-air jump, I'm just too used to the Joystick to use the X or Y buttons.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I have it on.
I just like it like that.

Silfa

Smash Ace
I have it on. Don't have a problem with doing tilts and it lets me jump out of sheild, which is good.

If you don't feel like having it on, by all means turn it off. It's all down to preference if you don't care about jumping or up Bing out of a sheild.

Shök

Smash Champion
If you turn it off,

You can U-whatever properly
and...
You can short hop so much easier.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
hmm seems like a pretty mixed response lol

i guess i should just try turning it off and see how it feels

ThaPhantom07

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaPhantom07
I have that problem with certain characters since I tap jump. With ZSS I constantly jump when I'm trying to charge my Usmash or Utilt. I find it easiest to start holding the control stick up while you're in another animation so that when that animation is done you are ready to tilt. Works nicely for me.

paul1290

Smash Rookie
I prefer to have it on so I can UpB out of shield and so I have one less button to worry about when in the air.

In any case this is a lot like whether or not you want to have the Y-axis inverted in a first person shooter, it depends on what you used to.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I used to use up on control stick for 5 years of Melee play before I made a conscious decision to change x/y in an attempt to gain more jumping control (I played - and still play - Ganondorf and badly needed that jump control). After I switched, I never effed with the control stick until I started realizing that certain situations call for it. That is to say, certain scenarios are far more difficult or simply impossible if tap jump is off.

These examples will be for Ganondorf, but you can at least get the idea of why tap is effective here. First, say your opponent is above you on BF. If I want to uair that guy who is just chillin on a platform, it's easier to hop (or SH) up with the control stick, leave the stick up and tap the A button to execute the uair than it is to tap the x/y button and the either up+a or c-stick up. This is because your thumb doesn't have to move at all in the tap scenario while with the x/y scenario, you have to slide your thumb from x/y to A. It may only be a matter of a frame or two of difference, but that may land the hit before the shield comes out.

Also, I find that while most of the time I thunderstorm (chaining lagless SH dairs) with the control stick + down c-stick, sometimes I hold down on the control stick and slide from x/y to A. It all depends on the situation, and specifically, I think it depends on the positioning of my hands on the controller at any given moment. There's always a case in which one method is more effective/efficient than the other.

Ultimately, I think of the tap jump debate like I think of the other moves in smash that have multiple inputs. Just like Z vs R+A (grabs) and c-stick vs direction+A (smash attacks), I think it's important to use and feel comfortable with both jump inputs. There's always one input that is a better choice than the other and it's just a matter of figuring out what input that is for every possible situation.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Tap jump is always disabled for me since for some fighters, I use the u-tilt and u-air to juggle. Besides, even back in Melee I jump by pressing buttons.

Top Bottom