• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Continuous Waveshining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Who said anything about using your knuckle? I SH with Y and I use the tip of my finger. It's not complicated.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Yeah that's nonsense. You don't have to use X or your knuckle to claw. And unlike arcnatural I actually claw, 100% of the time. Just press Y with the tip of your index finger.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
claw= weird,sick but good. Meh... if shdl is your problem keep using the control stick.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
That's just stupid. Clawing makes a lot of techniques easier but it requires practice and retraining of your finger muscles. It took me a long time to get as technical as I am and it's not just because I claw. Yeah, I can shoot SHDL while DIing backwards with double shines in between, which would be almost impossible without clawing, but that doesn't make it easy or take away from the skill involved.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Clawing is good and doesn't take THAT long to get your skill back. I've picked it up so that I can start out using it for Brawl. I claw similarly to Shai, except I think he uses the R-button which I don't use at all.

I use my right hand thumb for A, B, C-Stick; index finger for Y; middle finger for Z-cancelling and grabbing; fourth finger rests on R but is not used; and my pinky finger just hangs around under R king of.

I use my left index finger on L for wavedashing/shielding, and my thumb for the control stick.

I first picked up this grip seriously about 2 weeks ago - initially I couldn't even SH consistently with Falco, but now I can double shine well and do all my SHL tactics just about as well as I could before the claw. I think I will be better off for clawing in the long run...just hope brawl has some characters that can take advantage of it.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Yeah, I can shoot SHDL while DIing backwards with double shines in between, which would be almost impossible without clawing
this made me lol. It's not even close to impossible without clawing. Clawing just provides a method to let people press buttons closer together in timing if they can't move their fingers from one button to another fast enough. The drawback is they have to learn to press the buttons with two different finger timings.

IMO it's not worth it to claw because of retraining of fingers involved, and if your fingers are fast enough from one button to another, there's no issue to not clawing. also, instead of retraining your fingers, which could mess up your overall game during your learning of it, training your fingers to move faster just by playing faster won't. That's my opinion, and the arguments that i came up with when i considered learning to claw. I also have nothing against people that do claw. I just think it would be easier for someone (and better for their game in the medium run) to learn to move their fingers faster w/o clawing.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Yeah well you don't really know if it's worth it since you don't claw, now do you?

I haven't seen anyone do the SHDL while DIing the full distance except Hylian and myself. And even if you can do it it's certainly more difficult and you probably wouldn't do it in game, like I do.

And you can't do frame perfect SHFFLs with the C-stick and some other techniques without clawing. Impossible.

It's not that hard to use your index finger unless you have no dexterity at all, in which case you'd probably suck at Smash anyway. I think people just don't like doing new things.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Shai, you're coming off as arrogant and all knowing of fox's abilities and techniques, I'd be abit more open minded about things, especially when talking to scotu, who shows hes got a solid grip on fox's technical game for the most part.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I'm talking about clawing and why it wins. I'm not talking about Fox's abilities and techniques except insofar as they can be used to demonstrate the benefits of clawing.

And Scotu has always come across as anti-clawing whenever I mention it. This is actually a common attitude. Clawing > normal grip. If you become very fast with a normal grip, you can APPROACH the technical limits of clawing but you won't get there. I don't see why this is even contested. If you have two fingers to manipulate face buttons as opposed to one, then you can manipulate the face buttons faster than with one finger. The End.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
See, theres where my arrogance remark comes into play, such as you using "The End" like you're automaticly correct. It doesn't make you look bright and it comes off as annoying.

Talk more civil, this isn't a contest of who can be more of a dic* about agruing or else 5150 would come in here and pwn.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
oh yes, me suggesting we need to be abit more open minded and friendly makes me a bad person.

You're an idiot chicken.

Nevermind, go back to being pricks to each other.

Metà

Smash Master
what? you can JC the shine any time after the 4th frame.
This is a common misconception. You can JC on the 4th frame or any time after, but only if you don't hit anyone. If you hit someone, you will add 3 frames of hitstun, so you won't be able to JC until the 7th frame. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sometimes jumps too fast when hitting an opponent with a shine. I can never go too fast when I'm just doing it by myself, but sometimes there is too much hitstun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom