• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Conservative vs Aggressive playstyle

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Post your playstyle. I find varying success against different characters. Against ROB and Falco, while aggressive forces them to play on your terms, ROB can Nair any aerial approaches and Dsmash your approach. I'm still working on my ROB countering, my wolf does best, so once I find a good way to kill it with wolf, I'll apply that to falcon. So far Conservative does well. Against Metaknight, I've found that Aggressive gets you Dsmashed too much. Against Snake, Aggressive can throw them off... ALOT! I think Falcon vs Snake is a far more even matchup that I previously thought!

I play mostly aggressive, with lots of dash grabs. How about you? And what playstyle do you think works best against some of the more overused characters?

Btw, Aggressive means you approach alot, or at least keep in range for a sudden attack, trying to make them slip up enough to land a solid blow. Conservative means you try to bait your opponent into striking first, or try to psych them out and make a clean approach.

__V

Smash Journeyman
I feint. Against projectile-whores you pretty much need to play aggressively....

splat5

Smash Rookie
it really depends on who i'm playing against, i mean there's no point playing conservative against a camping snake or anyone with ranged attacks and Falcon's lack of projectiles really force you to play aggressive otherwise you can't really get much done. These days, i bet a lot of people play aggressively either out of impatience or just because it's a natural playstyle with characters who have no projectiles - conservative doesn't really help much and in the end, you just get labelled a camper if you win and a n00b if you lose... :S

Lord_erk

Smash Rookie
im a straight up agrresive player except against a metaknight when i play against my pals MK aggresively i usually get destroyed, so ive learned to wait and punish vs a MK. but all in all im 100% with splat5's post

Smash Apprentice
Playing falcon aggressively really limits your possibilites.
f.e. you won't be able to approach with a kick since it has some big delay in the end.
So moves you have to approach would be like this:
Raptor Boost, Nair, Dair, Bair and maybe knee, but I think the lag of the knee mostly is too huge. I'd say in Brawl you have to play him more defensive and wait for some mistake of your opponent to instanly punish it when he's at the right %.
For racking up some damage you should only use Raptor boost, jabs and aerials except the knee, maybe some slided Usmash would be good too.

But all in all falcon isn't made for being the leader of action anymore.

BA-Leif

Smash Cadet
For racking up some damage you should only use Raptor boost, jabs and aerials except the knee, maybe some slided Usmash would be good too.
i dont think that raptorboost is good for %, because it has a quite big ending lag and if the opponent has less % he`ll punish you immediately.

i use it if the opponent has a higher amount of % so ill get him above me for some airials, mosly Uair or Bair ...sometimes a knee works aswell

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Geh bleh. I hate to admit it but after playing C Falcon for some time now I still am way to aggressive. Trying to break the habit and work on my timing though.

Hopefully by the end of it I have more of a defensive play style. C Falcon is NOT meant to play aggressively from my experience.

wangston

Smash Lord
I'm mostly defensive and I keep my spacing when playing Falcon. But once there is an opening for more than just an utilt, maybe a dashattack, to uairx2, or my fave set up dashattack, weak knee, double jump, full knee :D. But most of the time I stay with in range of the Utilt and Uair, then when people get close I jab a few and run.

Top Bottom