• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
so weve got spring, ribbon, chains, bandages, robot arms and now noodles wonder what these others will have, rope? elastic? wires?
Lasers/energy!!
Some steampunk cyborg or something for those who like that style.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
The robot ones could have arms made out of those multi coloured ribbon cables you find in computers? Also red and black jumper cables?
Ooooh what if one of them had arms made out of this:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The robot ones could have arms made out of those multi coloured ribbon cables you find in computers? Also red and black jumper cables?
Ooooh what if one of them had arms made out of this:
Looking closely at the green robot, he's likely made of a gelatinous substance as you can tell from the visor sinking in his face.

Chances are that he could be based on one of these.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Looking closely at the green robot, he's likely made of a gelatinous substance as you can tell from the visor sinking in his face.

Chances are that he could be based on one of these.
Finally, the dream of smacking people to death with those elastic sticky hands will be a reality.

Have we decided on any movesets for these guys yet? It's clear they could either have an arm switch special or simply switch them on the go (side tilt uses the boomerang arms, up smash uses the dragon one, grab pummel uses the slapping one etc) but is there anything that really jumps out for anyone?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Finally, the dream of smacking people to death with those elastic sticky hands will be a reality.

Have we decided on any movesets for these guys yet? It's clear they could either have an arm switch special or simply switch them on the go (side tilt uses the boomerang arms, up smash uses the dragon one, grab pummel uses the slapping one etc) but is there anything that really jumps out for anyone?
With what little we know of the game, it's going to be difficult, especially when we know that you can mix and match the Arms on different well.... Arms.

They can probably stick with the Marth route by having them stick with the weapons they are advertised with or give them some of the additional Arms, especially when it's likely for us to get one character instead of multiple reps.

An Arms character can already standout with the extremely ranged attacks from their punches, grabs, and blocks. The question remains if they should be an all punching character (no kicks, etc) to stay true to the gameplay of Arms like Little Mac with Punch Out. There's definitely a lot of potential with them.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Idk. If they mix the weapons on the go it won't look like how they do in the game.
If they do that, there would never be a point in having a second character for the series.

I guess maybe have Springman be limited to certain weapons and then if they add a second character e.g MinMin she would use her own set of weapons...

Lol this is why I struggle to imagine Inklings and Arms characters in Smash.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I would say give Spring Man his standard red gloves and maybe a few others (like that sexy Slappamander).

Don't give him the whole game's Arms, save those for other characters (playable or AT) or even items.

And making the characters all punching (with the exception of MinMin) makes the most sense. I just can't imagine Ribbon Girl kicking or Spring Man doing headbutts. Have them stay grounded to the Arms gameplay as possible like what Sakurai did with Mac. Except, Spring Man shouldn't be just as bad as Mac in air (I'd imagine Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, MinMin, and Mechanica would have a better air game given their gimmicks in Arms).

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Of course, full length extendable Arms is a huge risk-reward, since they would have crazy endlag and insane range, almost like projectile disjoints. It would probably be toned down to a little over ZSS's plasma whip range, and made a little faster. And in terms of moveset potential, Spring Man has the counter attack and Comeback Spring mode, while Ribbon Girl gets extra jumps and movement. Maybe Spring Man is taught different techniques by the rest of the cast, similar to Ness? So he'd get a Ninjara-like dodge, aerials that resemble Mechanica, the movement of Ribbon Girl, and the dragon charge attacks of Min Min?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Although I feel indifferent towards it I will still offer support for them.

I don't know how high our chances are at getting an ARMS character; however I guess it depends on just how hard Nintendo wants to advertise and push the game. I will say an ARMS character would certainly fit in Smash due to both the style, and most obviously the fighting aspect. Although I don't have much interest in the game itself it really wouldn't bother me if we get someone from it.

In short, it's one of those "I can see it and be fine with it, but wouldn't be upset over if it didn't happen" kinda things with me.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So yeah, I'm kinda all about Minmin right now. No doubt Spring Man will be the choice, but yeah I'd like Minmin.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
It'd probably be Spring Man with Ribbon Girl as an alt with the other characters' moves blended in for variety.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And now it seems that the Japanese Twitter page is starting official art and its looking good.

They sure are hyping Ribbon Girl and Mechanica as rivals. At worst, this could fuel more ships.

Also, Biff has a body. That's cool.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
And now it seems that the Japanese Twitter page is starting official art and its looking good.

They sure are hyping Ribbon Girl and Mechanica as rivals. At worst, this could fuel more ships.

Also, Biff has a body. That's cool.
I want playable Biff

Freduardo

Smash Champion
But what would his special Arms be, yellow Claymation?

Or he can be one of the few contestants that sue their real arms?
Look at the arms in that art, they got all those lines in them, giving them the illusion of animated extendability... and giant fists.

And headbutts!

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Biff ends up being a secret character you can unlock. I kind of hope that ends up being the case.

Astra_

Smash Cadet
tbh Sakurai could just make them all skins

In my opinion I find Arms bland and boring (just me)

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
tbh Sakurai could just make them all skins

In my opinion I find Arms bland and boring (just me)
I get what you're trying to say, but you should probably specify instead of saying all of them. Master Mummy and Mechanica would not work as skins. Everyone else we know of so far maybe.

Last edited:

CrossDispatcher

Smash Cadet
ARMS looks like a fun new game that I would like to get into! Having a character from this game in Smash seems pretty likely to me. SUPPORT!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
New character and it's not a robot but some kinda DNA blob monster

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The reveal of Helix makes me think that instead of just adding the "mascot" of Arms as a playable character they should hold a poll with all of the Arms characters in it.

I think it would be interesting to see who would win. It would make room for a breakout character to make it into Smash Bros, instead of just adding a character because they're the figure head of the franchise. I mean it makes sense to add Ryu from Street Fighter because he's so iconic, but Arms is a brand new fighting game with a brand new cast of characters.

As it stands now I'd definitely vote for Helix.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The reveal of Helix makes me think that instead of just adding the "mascot" of Arms as a playable character they should hold a poll with all of the Arms characters in it.

I think it would be interesting to see who would win. It would make room for a breakout character to make it into Smash Bros, instead of just adding a character because they're the figure head of the franchise. I mean it makes sense to add Ryu from Street Fighter because he's so iconic, but Arms is a brand new fighting game with a brand new cast of characters.

As it stands now I'd definitely vote for Helix.
I'd like them to do something like this. In a large cast of characters where the main characteristic is the same, any one of them could accomplish the same idea in Smash (long reach, Dhalism type character), so the spot shouldnt just be given to Spring Man, or Ribbon Girl right off the bat. Let the people say who makes it in Smash.

I'd probably go Minmin at this point. I'm just a man who loves his ramen.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I remembered to add Helix to the poll, eventually.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Trying to decide on a favorite is going to get harder and harder with each new reveal it seems. Loving Helix's design, the stage, and the new music as well.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I really love Helix. He's got the groooove vibe. Plus he's basically the cool dodge character.

But MinMin still my number 1, tho he is my 3rd fav. Second is Ninjara atm.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Too bad none of the interesting Arms fighters are going to be in Smash and the slot is for Generic Vanilla Protagonist or Energetic Mary Sue.

Bummer, especially since the rest of the cast is so cool

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
How the heck is Ribbon Girl a Mary Sue?
I had to look up 'Mary sue' and on tv tropes on the very beginning it mentions that the definition of a 'Mary Sue' is very different from person to person.

Guess what I'm saying is this exchange shows that Tv tropes is still on point as ever lol.

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever isn't that how it always is though when it comes to fighting game guest spots? The only character(s) that I've ever seen eclipse the 'main' character of their series is Morrigan and some of the other girls (Felicia, Hsien Ko) over the main dude (Dmitri?) from Darkstalkers.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had to look up 'Mary sue' and on tv tropes on the very beginning it mentions that the definition of a 'Mary Sue' is very different from person to person.

Guess what I'm saying is this exchange shows that Tv tropes is still on point as ever lol.

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever isn't that how it always is though when it comes to fighting game guest spots? The only character(s) that I've ever seen eclipse the 'main' character of their series is Morrigan and some of the other girls (Felicia, Hsien Ko) over the main dude (Dmitri?) from Darkstalkers.
Don't forget Mai from the KOF series.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
How well do you guys think ARMS will do? I think it will most likely do around Pikmin 1 level (somewhere around 1.5 million) and thus successful enough to be a staple franchise for Nintendo. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it ends up a multi-million selling game.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
How well do you guys think ARMS will do? I think it will most likely do around Pikmin 1 level (somewhere around 1.5 million) and thus successful enough to be a staple franchise for Nintendo. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it ends up a multi-million selling game.
I'm worried it's gonna bomb. I really, REALLY don't want it to, but it's been a long-lingering fear of mine.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They should try and invite as many Wii Boxing comparisons as possible to grab the casual market.

Mrrgle

Smash Cadet
Master Mummy, for the sake of more heavyweights AND a hero who can regenerate health while shielding. Spring Man is still the most likely though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Given this game was on the face of EGDE magazine and had its own spotlight in the direct, it will probably do decent. But definitely not Splatoon levels of big. That should be acceptable.

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
I'd love to see an ARMS character make it in. It just seems so obvious, come on Nintendo. I honestly think either Spring Man or Ribbon Girl will make it in from a more realistic standpoint, but I'd love to see a poll with all of the characters in it. My top three choices would be Min Min, Helix, and Ribbon Girl. There's so much they could do with an ARMS character in smash just from looking at the trailers alone. I could probably make my own moveset if given the space. I support wholeheartedly, and will pick up ARMS as soon as I get a Switch xD I'm actually excited for the game.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm worried it's gonna bomb. I really, REALLY don't want it to, but it's been a long-lingering fear of mine.
It will likely break a few million. Impressions are positive and the Switch is going to boost software sales. It will do alright.

Top Bottom