• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congrats Doc!

CaptainFalco30

Smash Cadet
Doc is now my main. I've converted from Jigglypuff because I can actually WD with him ^___^.

So as to make this post actually relevant, I wanted to ask how many people here use the C-stick for aerials with Doc? The main reason I even thought about it was the Uair, which is waaaay too hard to do any other way, for me at least. It was kinda weird at first, but its not terribly different from the analog stick + A.

In fact, it may be better for letting me DI one way and attack in another.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Gea

Smash Master
I control stick out of habit and pwnage, but its generally easier and more effective to c stick.

Roman.

Smash Champion
I only c-stick d-airs. I've had some trouble with the u-air but the c-stick seemed to difficult. Maybe it just takes some time to getting used to.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
funny, me and Gea had this convo a couple days ago at a tourney. IMHO, c stick, though it takes time to learn, is probably the best way to go. Landing backwards Fairs is too sexy.

Gea

Smash Master
You can do backwards fairs without the Cstick. It just takes a LOT more practice. The problem, honestly, is uairs, because they are so **** hard to space with the control stick.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Both ways are effective. The C-Stick takes time to learn and more time to master as you have to be FAST with it, as fast as you can move your fingers. The control stick is cool too, but you must listen to master Yoda, and learn control.

Drills:
C-Stick
SHFFL each aerial as fast as you can around in a circle continuously with the C-stick (don't forget to finish with nair, because it makes you switch from the A button). You want the aerials to come out as fast as possible and never pick the wrong aerial. If you can't do it, slow down, then speed up again later. Later, practice moving and c-sticking in the same manner (shffl backwards bair, forwards uair, backwards fair, forwards dair, backwards nair then forwards bair, backwards uair, forwards fair, backwards dair, forwards nair).

Analog stick
Air control is clutch.

Practice full-hopping up-airs using X and Y, as many as you can in one jump, resetting the stick EVERY TIME in between. The motion is the same as a tilt.
Practice running Uair shffls, again, without jumping.
Practice forward moving back-airs, and back moving forward airs, without turning around.
Same as above, but practice fastfalling and returning the stick to the direction you would like to air control. So for retreating Fairs, hold back and press X, hold forward press A, quickly jam backward on the stick, then fastfall and L-cancel as appropriate.

You also need to practice fullhop double upairs against heavyweights with the stick so you can comborz

Duel Screen

Smash Rookie
I use c-stick only when CC:ing and it's hard to use d-smash during crouch. Any other way I use control stick. What's so hard about using uair with the control stick? o_O

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
I use c-stick only when CC:ing and it's hard to use d-smash during crouch. Any other way I use control stick. What's so hard about using uair with the control stick? o_O

It seams really hard to shffl uairs without using the c stick because you have to try and not dj but still uair...\

i am just getting used to using the c stick for uairs myself and it is really hard for me to get used to because i use y to jump so i mash up on the stick after i hit y...so i cant do it very fast at all...

Duel Screen

Smash Rookie
DaBRÜM said:
It seams really hard to shffl uairs without using the c stick because you have to try and not dj but still uair...\
Well...it isn't to me...

DaBRÜM said:
i am just getting used to using the c stick for uairs myself and it is really hard for me to get used to because i use y to jump so i mash up on the stick after i hit y...so i cant do it very fast at all...
That can be a reason, why to use the control stick. I also use Y to jump, but that isn't the reason for me.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
lol, i doubt it i am a pretty good doc but my reflexes are slow...my doc tornado still isnt very effective for me...i use it to slow my fall not to gain anything...

Duel Screen

Smash Rookie
lol, i doubt it i am a pretty good doc but my reflexes are slow...my doc tornado still isnt very effective for me...i use it to slow my fall not to gain anything...
Okay, I can use Tornado properly, but it isn't as good as in the pro-vids. You've played in tournaments? And if you have, how did you do there?

Marty

Smash Apprentice
Really the only reason you should use the Control stick for Air moves is for chain B-airs. It really helps you to get them off quickly given the simultaneity of the motion of travel and the input command.

Duel Screen

Smash Rookie
Really the only reason you should use the Control stick for Air moves is for chain B-airs. It really helps you to get them off quickly given the simultaneity of the motion of travel and the input command.
Everyone's got their own style to play. And yeah, chaining bairs is easier (atleast to me) with the control stick.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
I have played in i think 3 tournaments and got to the semi finals in teams in a tournament but i have faired ok in the few tournaments i have been in...

Duel Screen

Smash Rookie
I have played in i think 3 tournaments and got to the semi finals in teams in a tournament but i have faired ok in the few tournaments i have been in...
I should go to a tournament some day to test my skills against others. I don't think I'll do good, but gotta atleast try once.

Top Bottom