• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concerning m2's air dodge animation

mobilisq

Smash Ace
Remember how we all lamented the removal of the rapidly oscillating item animation when he phases out of existence during an air dodge?

I was messing around in training mode with a smoke ball, and noticed that, when activated, it still goes through the animation! This means that it wasn't some kind of technical oversight, but a deliberate callback to the melee version which was then, for some strange reason, purposefully removed.

Anybody have any speculation as to why the hell they would tease us like that?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
No idea, but I, for one, disliked how items rapidly spun around whenever Mewtwo airdodged. I thought it looked really choppy and buggy. I was slightly upset that it returned in Smash 4, so you can imagine by surprise and gladness when it was removed in the 1.1.0 patch. Anyways, on topic, I highly doubt it was deliberate. Rather, it was probably an oversight in Melee, and the devs patched it out of Smash 4 when they realized they forget to fix it. It's just way too choppy-looking to be intentional, in my opinion. As for why an activated Smoke Ball oscillates where an inactive one doesn't, it probably has something to do with the way the Smoke Ball files are stored. Perhaps the dev team overlooked the active Smoke Ball and only fixed the inactive Smoke Ball?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Cool find! i think that while it looked really cool, i think it was for the best that they removed that animation since both Mewtwo and the item goes invisible now and that makes it slightly harder for the opponent to localize you when you airdodge.

Last edited:

mobilisq

Smash Ace
Btw uthrow I have a hard time believing an identical glitch cropped up in two different game engines, palutena never had this happen!

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Btw uthrow I have a hard time believing an identical glitch cropped up in two different game engines, palutena never had this happen!
Huh... Honestly, I didn't think of that. In light of this, I've reconsidered my stance. I guess it was intentional. Now, that said, I have no idea why the devs would deliberately bring such a feature back in Smash 4 and then just remove it in a later patch. Even stranger, I have no idea why they would leave the feature intact on an active Smoke Ball. I'm utterly stumped there.

Top Bottom