• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complimentary secondary character to fox

All4G0dsGl0ry

Smash Cadet
hey guys. just wondering if you guys had any preferences or thoughts on a good secondary character to have as a back up to fox. kind of hard to think about for me since fox has (at worst) an even match-up with all the characters in the game. wanted to know all your guys' thoughts. thanks

.toasty

Smash Cadet
Well due to Fox's amazing MUs you mostly don't need a secondary, however, you might consider Falcon to counter Samus. Samus is one of Fox's most neutral MUs, and Falcon techchases Samus to hell and back due to her slow rolls, has an amazing punish game for missed grabs, can block her missiles with a quick nair, and kills her at a low percentage.

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
There isn't really a complementary character to Fox, as Fox doesn't have any major weaknesses that he can't compensate for by himself. HE is fine by himself. However, you might be looking for a complementary character for you specifically, to compensate for YOUR weaknesses when playing as Fox. As a result, the answer to your question entirely depends on what you as a Fox player are having trouble with. If there isn't anything in particular, then you probably don't need a secondary at all for now. Where there isn't (yet) a problem, there isn't a solution. Chances are your time would be better spent just learning new tricks as Fox. (If orange Fox is your main, why not make green Fox your secondary? :p)

Common secondaries to Fox among top players are Falco, Captain Falcon, Marth and Sheik, but that doesn't mean they'll be good secondaries for you as well.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
In general, what Fox dislikes most are: (1) characters who outrange him with huge, good moves & death touch him (eg. Marth) and (2) characters his up throw doesn't utterly obliterate by itself because it encourages him to use his flawed attacks more and try to win with them (eg. Samus, Luigi).

So if we are speaking from a strictly competitive standpoint, you basically want someone who can beat up Marth on FD, Falco (debatable, but I still feel Falco beats Fox), and weird middle tiers like Samus, Doc, and Luigi. So your best choices are probably something like: Sheik, Marth, Falco (although Marth on FD is bleh), and maybe Peach (but probably not recommended because you'd have Peach and Fox to fight Marth on FD). You could also just solo Fox; leffen does well with it and there are many benefits from not second-guessing your character choice by being confident in your one character. And Fox is good enough to be able to overcome his weaknesses too. That said, the weaknesses of a single character can be limiting at times and for this reason most top players have a secondary.

Last edited:

AprilShaw

aka Logan
You just need to think about what your worst matchups, personally, are. So for a lot of Foxes, this means matchups like Marth on FD/Yoshi's, Peach on Yoshi's/FoD, Falco, or Sheik on DL64. Those matchups are just examples, and Fox arguably wins all of them, but they're ones I've seen a lot of people have trouble with. You need to find the ones you have trouble with, though.

So for example, I usually go to Fox as my default character. I have trouble against spacies who are faster than me though (which is most spacies around my level or better lol), and if I lose, I will take campy spacies to Yoshi's and go Peach, and aggressive spacies to FD and go Peach or Marth. Peach and Samus also give me trouble, so I will usually go Marth or Sheik against them instead.

It also helps to sort of have a go-to character for each stage, if some of them give you trouble. There is absolutely no matchup I dislike for Fox on DL64 or BF, so if those get counterpicked, I'm fairly comfortable going Fox always. The same goes for Yoshi's/FoD with Peach, and FD/Stadium with Marth. So if I'm not sure who to pick, I like to default to those characters.

Finally, some days a certain character just feels really on or off. I've had days where I've gone all Marth or all Peach just because it felt right, and days where I've completely ignored them both. This is one of the biggest advantages of having multiple characters imo, it can help mentally if you just don't feel it with one of them.

Hope this helps :)

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
i think whichever secondary character you think you can play the best and enjoy playing as. It's true Fox doesn't need a secondary character but i think it can be beneficial to have a secondary character for the specific match ups you struggle with. I personally play Marth when i can't play Fox as cleanly as i should due to fatigue/johns, Marth has a fun MU against spacies and doesn't struggle with too many low tier MU's aside from yoshi but like i said it comes down to preference, follow your heart All4G0dsGl0ry

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Pretty much was gonna post what kk did. Sheik bails you out of getting cheesed by marth, samus, luigi etc. and she requires a lot less effort to execute with. Learning how to slow down is a beautiful thing

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Good secondary character to fox
=
homo fox

just run around and laser camp ppl you cant otherwise beat

Sync8699

Smash Cadet
I only use my secondary when my tech skill with Fox is off. Having said that I go to a character who gets results without being anywhere near as technical (or at least, a very different kind of technical), aka :peachmelee:

Last edited:

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
I would use Sheik as a Fox secondary because there are two matchups that people are starting to debate might not be in Fox's favor (Marth and Pikachu), Sheik soft counters Marth and hard counters Pikachu. Also sheik is fast, edgeguarding abilities, great projectile, etc. Also, Sheik is easy to pick up so you don't have to grind her up just to counterpick other characters. (Though if you're going to fight really good players/ players on your level you may want to grind Sheik a little bit.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom