• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPLETELY VANILLA Mafia | Game Over

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
For those curious, my progression on Chaco was “mechanically town probably, sort in endgame to see if miller claim still holds up”, to “yeah they just sound townie I would’ve townread them even if they weren’t miller”

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
UP trying to emulate early game xivii from midmight ops I see :rolleyes:

Did you gain a restriction, or just oppositely color coordinating your names?
possibility of post restriction came to mind for a second but given that we all seem to have red herring roles I think they reflect current reads as darkpit suggests below

What do you mean by "oppositely color coordinating" though like I legit do not know what you're trying to say
Aight thanks, that makes sense. I wasn't really thinking about how early LyLo would be

I assumed he was coloring by how good a vote on them would be rn? But idrk tbh

Is there some logical gymnasics here that I can't do or is the vote unrelated to the statement preceeding it.
its literally an rvs vote...

I think Somi’s view is scum indicative from lack of town info. Their statement while in a normal game would presumably be town, here is not due to the type of game we see from our roles. So far I’ve managed to see that parallel from the small amount of information that’s been put forward.

I don’t think UPs pursuit was genuinely scummy, I feel it comes from the mindset that I’ve said Somi genuinely lacked.
definitely see what you're getting at here

I'm sorry, can you explain what you mean by this? I don't think I really understand lol
this is also suss for the same reason chaco is hinting at

imagine winning this game for free on D1 because of meta slips lmao

Btw #62 feels like omega distancing
who specifically do you think Xivii is trying to distance in that post?
this probably scum
i got a lot of pings through these posts
care to give even a single example?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I take that back, I wasn’t the only TPR. Anyway, that was absolutely, undeniably, my towniest game and I was putting in excess of 6 hours a day towards it. I was tryharding soooo much. Anyway, even though we had two misyeets at the beginning, I ended up solving the scumteam but because I established myself as the town leader, I was blamed and got yeeted, even though I was the cop.

Still my towniest game though.

Chaco

Never Logs In

possibility of post restriction came to mind for a second but given that we all seem to have red herring roles I think they reflect current reads as darkpit suggests below

What do you mean by "oppositely color coordinating" though like I legit do not know what you're trying to say

its literally an rvs vote...

definitely see what you're getting at here

this is also suss for the same reason chaco is hinting at

imagine winning this game for free on D1 because of meta slips lmao

who specifically do you think Xivii is trying to distance in that post?
care to give even a single example?
He used red for town indication and yellow as null/scum it seemed

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
It’s more “for later”, checking to see if anybody claims the same type of role and makes sure that scum can’t go back on their claimed abilities later on.
Hmmm. I think the best way to go about this is by looking back at people's soft claims once they actually claim, such as Frozen's "red herring" comment

Might could see this being a neap game with like... one or two actual VTs

Chaco

Never Logs In
idk how I feel about claiming role type here, when you say flavor you mean like how mine is “self doubting”? If that’s what you mean, I’d have to see what we think en masse. It could tip off roles entirely on some types maybe, idk. If there was no danger to that, I’d be cool with it.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I’m going to clarify my role even further, I can show to investigation as town or mafia, that’s where self doubting comes in, I’m not sure of which. Which is why I immediately claimed.

based from my role I could see the existence of a paranoid cop 100%

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
idk how I feel about claiming role type here, when you say flavor you mean like how mine is “self doubting”? If that’s what you mean, I’d have to see what we think en masse. It could tip off roles entirely on some types maybe, idk. If there was no danger to that, I’d be cool with it.
That wasn’t what I was thinking. The “self-doubting” prefixes for people’s roles could imply the power behind somebody’s actions, potentially.

Chaco

Never Logs In
That wasn’t what I was thinking. The “self-doubting” prefixes for people’s roles could imply the power behind somebody’s actions, potentially.
That’s what I was thinking, action modifiers per se?

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
It’s more “for later”, checking to see if anybody claims the same type of role and makes sure that scum can’t go back on their claimed abilities later on.
That doesn't really answer any of my questions:
1) What exact piece of information do you think we should all claim? (It seems like I'm not the only one, who's unclear on this)
2) How would this information be more beneficial to town than to scum?
I agree with this, but he went back on it before anyone actually answered so... eh? I won't really make much of it yet lol
Me neither, but then there's not much to go on D1.
I wasn't really claiming it was necessarily correct, it was more to build conversation, though I am convinced it isn't completely vanilla. No one has disputed this and said that they are just vanilla, but if someone is they honestly probably shouldn't. I don't really see the risk in what I said though
To be fair, everyone is special (so noone is), but in a scenario where the rest of us were mostly vanilla, I think this would've been a PR slip.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
To be fair, everyone is special (so noone is), but in a scenario where the rest of us were mostly vanilla, I think this would've been a PR slip.
UP pretty much explained this lol, but at the point I posted my role had already been confirmed to town, so I had nothing to lose by saying that I wasn't vanilla lol

Nope, it’s just you. Chaco gets it.
I was also confused, though Frozen said I was scummy for saying so lmao. I just don't really understand the plan for claiming, since it seems to not be claiming the full role. I think we're probably better off not for now in case we have any legitimate power roles.

Scum probably has PRs of some kind too, right? Hopefully those are as weak as ours lol

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I was also confused, though Frozen said I was scummy for saying so lmao. I just don't really understand the plan for claiming, since it seems to not be claiming the full role. I think we're probably better off not for now in case we have any legitimate power roles.
Who really knows which roles have power?

I digress, I’d like to drop the topic for now.

Chaco

Never Logs In
What I meant to say is that you’re going to show up as innocent to investigations. I wish you said that sooner tbh
I’m not confirmed either way, so truthfully I have no idea which way I would show up. If it were to be random, or just always innocent, or always mafia. Leaves to much room for doubt, hence self doubting

Chaco

Never Logs In
I can’t tell if it’s scummy due to his role or dense to the others. But it seems most understand so I wanna day scum slip.

Trains in the stations boys, all aboard.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I’m not confirmed either way, so truthfully I have no idea which way I would show up. If it were to be random, or just always innocent, or always mafia. Leaves to much room for doubt, hence self doubting
You will only show up innocent. Your role pm was written as such to garner paranoia, but I suppose it’s useful to keep in mind

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I can’t tell if it’s scummy due to his role or dense to the others. But it seems most understand so I wanna day scum slip.

Trains in the stations boys, all aboard.
Could you rephrase this post? Didn’t get the first bit
I’d like to wagon mercuri but I’ll help a brother out

##Unvote
##Vote: Somitomi

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeah. I’m saying that I cant for sure tell if it’s scummy how he’s not seeing the correlations to roles, or if he genuinely is just dense to it due to his own role. Regardless, I think everyone else so far seems to be in the same page, so I wanna say he’s not working with the same information, therefore scum slip.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Votecount 1-2

[2] somitomi: Chaco, UtopianPoyzin
[1] Mercuri: FrozenFlame
[1] 3DSNinja: Xivii

[5] Not Voting: 3DSNinja, mercuri, Darkpit54, somitomi, BoomFrog

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to eliminate.

Day 1 Deadline is: 11 PM UTC on Saturday August 8th

NB if you are spectating this game there is now a spoilers spectator chat; message me if you are interested.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
imagine trying to pocket the guy who claimed miller in his first post
What would be the issue?
UP is literally a better-put-together version of me 10 years ago.

So what’s mercuris experience? Vet or newer? I would tag them to ask but I can’t figure out how they spelled it.
You can copy and paste it. Is there a reason you haven't followed up on this? It's kind of strange that he hasn't pinged you.
but yeah it definitely looks like watered down roles like someone said before.
Did you really not know who said it? This is strange.
Did you gain a restriction, or just oppositely color coordinating your names?
I don't have a restriction. I am just embellishing my posts by coloring names and other words I would like to stick out. What was the purpose of asking me this question and would you really have believed me if I said it was a restriction?
He used red for town indication and yellow as null/scum it seemed
What gave you the impression that red were town reads?

Okay cool, you can be unyeetable until endgame.
Why is that exactly? Are you informed scum or just jumping to unjustified conclusions?
Btw I’m going to take control of the game if y’all don’t mind.

Everybody’s flavor should be based on a role. If everybody claimed what type of role they had, that seems like it would work out alright. We obviously shouldn’t say whether we’re real or fake, but it could probably help narrow down the mafia by which town roles are active or not.

Thoughts on this?
Looking back on this, I actually don't understand what you are getting at. What do you mean by flavor? And what do you mean by real or fake? I don't have any flavor separate from my role. The role is the flavor.

What I do propose, however, is that we mass claim. I think doing so would be beneficial in this setup because of all the red herrings. It would be good to know what we are actually dealing with and it would make it harder for scum to pseudo clear themselves in the larger scheme of things. For example, you are clearing Chaco and DP for their roles, but I suspect once we have a bigger picture of the game, we will see that we cannot clear anyone from their roles. Additionally, considering that the title of the game is completely vanilla, I doubt any of us are actual power roles. Furthermore, I think it would be a good idea for us to get this sorted so that we can move on with scumhunting.
You’re off the hook. I was making some notes in my role PM where I attempted to read the mod to see whether the Child role was truly innocent and I decided that it would wholeheartedly suck butt if you turned out to be scum, so you can join Chaco and party like it’s N1.
Could you explain how you came to this conclusion. What about the name of his role implies that he is town? To me, the words 'innocent' and 'noisy' look entirely different.
Xivii’s cool, they’re good for now.
For what reason?
We’re probably dealing with a godfather and a rolecop maybe, problem is that godfathers aren’t typically normal and I’m doing that on the premise that Chaco is truly the miller so that would be antithesized by a godfather.

Of course I have more confidence in a rolecop due to the way this game is set up but the godfather is give or take, be cautious with cop results because I’m pretty sure that our cop is probably active, given it’s not me (or is it?)
What makes you think that this game is a mafiascum normal game?
For those curious, my progression on Chaco was “mechanically town probably, sort in endgame to see if miller claim still holds up”, to “yeah they just sound townie I would’ve townread them even if they weren’t miller”
I don't see what is townie about his content. This conclusion is far-fetched.
I didn't get it either.

The existence of a Miller suggests some form of investigative role though, right? So that's good for us, even if it's a weaker one
Not necessarily. It would be within Kary's MO and the flavor of the game for the role to be a red herring. In fact, I highly suspect there is no real investigative and that if there is, there is a good chance they are actually mafia. Here are the roles from one of Kary's previous games. One of the roles contained a 1-shot firefighter ability but there was no arsonist in the game. One of the mafia roles also had a universal backup safe claim, but they were actually just a scum role that absorbed a dead townie's power. I suspect that Kary shares my ideal as a host that no player should be able to be cleared or condemned from their role, and that town should not be able to succeed by attempting to metagame the setup.
Not really much more to tell tbh. No abilities or anything. All of my google searches couldn't find it, so I'm assuming Kary just renamed it to where I'm not technically innocent. I don't really see the point of that? But ig it just makes it weaker lol
Could you explain what your role is though? All we know is the name, what does it do?
I think if this was *******, my role would probably be Innocent Child with me being scum. Because neither of those are true, I'm going to assume this is not a ******* game for now, and agree with Chaco that the roles are probably just weak lol

I feel like I probably shouldn't be treated as an Innocent Child, as I'm technically not one. Last game I was so universally townread that hopefully it won't really matter anyway lol.
I think this is suspicious and an attempt at a fake town innocence/perspective. Basically it's a backward form of reasoning, concluding that this isn't a b-game because you are town. When reality you should already know this isn't a b-game from the fact that it isn't a b-game. The whole way this is structured just doesn't gel with me, especially considering how logical of a player you are. You are my top suspect.
How many scum do we think we have in this size of a game? Three? Do we think there's a potential 3rd party?

Closed setups scare me :scared:
Aight thanks, that makes sense. I wasn't really thinking about how early LyLo would be

I assumed he was coloring by how good a vote on them would be rn? But idrk tbh
I believe this is another attempt at faking a townie perspective. Again, you have shown to be quite logical. In Midnight Ops you were aware that we would potentially be in lylo D4 before any of the rest of us considered it. It's not believable to me that you'd suspect there would be 3 scum in a 9 person game.
I agree with this, but he went back on it before anyone actually answered so... eh? I won't really make much of it yet lol
This is unnecessary commentary. It's the type of content scum puts out in an attempt to look like they are engaged and sorting, but does not actually do anything to move town closer to solving the game.

_________

I don't have any read on somitomi, Frozen, or Mercuri.

I'm ambivalent regarding Chaco. He seems to be saying the right things, but something feels off. I'm not exactly sure what to make of it yet.

UP is saying and doing a lot of scummy things—his unjustified and strong reads on Chaco and DP, his assertion that there is a rolecop and godfather, and his assertion that there is a functioning cop. His motives are hard to decipher though, so I'm not willing to call it scum just yet. I suspect that he is either mistakingly assuming there is more power to the setup than there actually is, has a faulty cop role and is trying to draw the night kill, or is scum attempting to establish himself as a functioning cop. I think the middle is probably the most likely, but his unjustified reads are the primary source of my apprehension.

I believe Darkpit is scum for the points I listed above.

Vote: Darkpit

Chaco

Never Logs In
Xivii Xivii I don’t look back a lot when posting because it’s a pain in the ass so I go based off of memory a lot if you can’t tell, and small details sortve blend at times. And yay, a different Xivii to try and figure out. But I thought red based off my and DP roles being named essentially, but I see that was wrong now. Lol.

Interesting points about DP though, I will say. I kind’ve gave him just a null pass for now due to being named.

UPs read on me isn’t enough for me to have any basis on him other than what I said that he appears to have the same insight I do regarding roles, which is why as of the moment am comfortable there.

I haven’t asked about mercuri again because I honestly just didn’t think about it again yet, but as to why he hasn’t pinged me? Not much content to do that from other than saying UP pinged him.

Top Bottom