• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitively, 2v2 is so much better than 1v1.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
i don't see how this is so over looked. 2v2 is how smash should be played competitively. It adds so much depth to the game, with team strategies, character combinations, combos, etc.
Also, it removes janky stratigies that make this game less viewer friendly. There is no super slow defensive play in teams, yet there is still a huge defensive and offensive aspect to it.
At local tourneys i see/hear way more hype during teams, yet it's always the side event. What are people's reasons for not finding a static teammate. My teammate and I take 2v2 more seriously than 1v1, and it really shows in our gameplay. As we dominate teams much more so than 1v1s.
#rageisreal.

Edit: just another thought to add. Smash is such a unique fighter. Not many fighting games can put 4+ players on the map. Team smash really sets it in its own category.

Last edited:

Dope_Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DeBoe4sho
Couldn't agree more, people can't say teams is campy or boring to watch and it's super fun. It sucks seeing events where they just run 1v1 sm4sh. Opens up so much more competitive stratigies IMO teams is the way to go !

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
love 2v2, wish there was more focus on it competitively in my area

Pyr

Smash Lord
I find 1v1 much more enjoyable to play and watch. I think it's better.

But then, that's my opinion, just like your statement is: an opinion. Your statement is extremely subjective and it's silly of you to attempt to present it as fact.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I played 2v2 with my brother for the first time earlier, as he intends to enter competitive 2v2 and needed a sparring partner.

It was quite a breath of fresh air. The depth of strategy and requisite coordination was very interesting, and we got a lot of mileage out of characters we otherwise wouldn't have in that respect - definitely going to be more open-minded about it in future!

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
That's technically an opinion.

See, what makes something competitive isn't what it is. It's what the players find it to be. You make any kind of Player Vs. Player kind of thing competitive. Just because Smash uses 4 players doesn't exactly make your rant correct.

Even if you intend it to be something the entire Smash community should go for, I wouldn't be so hopeful. Because 1v1 has always been the type of set that gets the most attention for over 10 years.

Djent

Smash Champion
If this was Brawl, I'd agree with you.

Now, I'm not so sure. It's really just the way characters synergize together rather than any global changes. Brawl allowed mid- and low-tiers to combine in really unique ways that brought out their potential (:lucario:+ tank, healer +:ness2:/:lucas:, energy + :gw:). Plus :popo: sucked thank goodness. The only truly oppressive team was :metaknight:x2, and even that pairing wasn't as invulnerable as the US scene believed it was.

Smash 4's top tier teams probably involve a much greater degree BS, since a lot of the characters who synergize well this time just happen to be amazing already. We have seen some cool mid-tier synergy combos (:4jigglypuff: + :4littlemac:, for instance). But we've also seen some legitimately broken stuff due to the larger cast + different special pool. Some of this has been patched out (:4pikachu: + :4gaw: and :4olimar: + :4fox:) while some has yet to be truly abused (:4villager: + :4villagerf:). It's no longer a case of the normally-stifled mid-tier heroes getting a chance to shine, but of the rich getting richer.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I think one huge advantage of 2v2 over 1v1 is tournaments finishing faster since entrants are essentially cut in half.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Doubles is something I have yet to really dive into and I know I need to do it soon. From just messing around and doing 2v2 online with my friends - it's a blast.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
2v2 has more jank even in default, :4gaw:+:4sheik: dominate doubles in both metas custom :4villager:+:4lucario: come close.

If seeing dumb combinations destroy other teams is considered 'better than singles', then yes doubles is better.

The only game breaking team would be villager + lucario, and only with customs.
The gnw tactic is not game breaking. And sheik + gnw? That's funny
The team has clashed before and G&W and Sheik won, so your last sentence is hilarious.

Last edited:

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
The only game breaking team would be villager + lucario, and only with customs.
The gnw tactic is not game breaking. And sheik + gnw? That's funny

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
It's funny, but it's not terribly exciting to watch when one team is just clearing stocks from 0%, in my opinion.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
it's not a glitch, that's just the mechanics of the moves. but the 420% was obviously an edit.
It's a glitch to some degree since the Pocketed Snaring Aura Sphere does the same damage regardless of Lucario's Aura when he uses the move (and AFAIK it never does massive damage like that point-blank when Lucario uses it).

Still a silly strategy.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Devil's Advocate question: Is there anything as degenerate as Villager/G&W stuff in doubles when team attack is off?
Standing behind your ally and launching arrows/shadow balls/aura spheres/etc. constantly without ceasing.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Standing behind your ally and launching arrows/shadow balls/aura spheres/etc. constantly without ceasing.
That's always what I've heard, but I wonder realistically how effective that is, especially in comparison to throwing 1-hit frame-5 death balls. It might be worth another look if team strats get out of hand (although I do think team attack "feels right.")

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
If OHKO moves with Villager, Game & Watch, or whoever else you could find really became a problem, then you could probably make a rule that bans them. Something like this

All strategies that quickly produce an OHKO move are banned. This includes, but is not limited to, Vanish + Oil Panic and Snaring Aura Sphere + Pocket.

Obviously it would need some work as Judge 9 would probably fall under that category, as well as possible other moves like Oil Panic + PK Flash, which takes to long to be reasonable considered broken.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
One of the reasons I prefer Smash to any other eSport is because it's focuses on 1v1s so I don't have to constantly rely on other players to play at the same time I do, have the same mindset, and relative skill level. I'm not a fan of other fighting games or StarCraft, and while I like games like CSGO, I simply don't have enough tolerance to deal with anyone else. Been there, done that, and it's always been a disaster. Especially when I spend 90% of my time just trying to find a good teammate instead of practicing.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
I feel I am alone in preferring singles but oh well I still love doubles.
* Raises hand *

You are definitely not alone on that.

2v2 is good too, but one being "better" than the other is an opinion... and personally I much prefer 1v1 both as a spectator and as a player.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
2v2 is the best! I definitely have the most fun on teams. Its fun to watch and more fun to play ^^

Its super weird to not see many 2v2 exclusive tournements on here, maybe sometime i can get one going. I never thought of that xD

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
2v2 has potential to be a million times more cheesy when people start taking it seriously and uncovering the jank, Like the old pika G&W strat. or this nonsense https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-7IZrN6bs
First of all, that video actually used equipment to make an effect. That technique is still VERY powerful, yes, but I don't believe it's a OHKO.

EDIT: It's an OHKO at start-up only, afterwards it's not all too powerful. However even the non-custom version kills extremely early, without needing to hit it at the start.

Something that I like about 2v2s is that it gives a lot more depth to matchups. With more to think about when counterpicking a character and teams that synchronize perfectly, there is a lot of thought to be put into teams and matchups.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Doubles can be cool but they can also be pretty lame with the levels of unknown "strategies" that rear their heads a lot. It always seems like some pair finds some lame cheese strategy that spoils it. I think most people prefer 1v1 because people who play fighting games are interested in testing their own personal skill vs someone else's personal skill, no variables like teammates involved.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I think the idea is that 2v2 kind of evens out some of the weaker mechanical design decisions in smash 4 and makes the game a bit more interesting to play/watch. At least, thats why i'm partial to it. Characters that wouldn't stand a chance in 1v1 can possibly become quite decent (Zelda).

Of course it's an unexplored avenue, so it may just be even more silly at its best. It being team-based means it would take even longer to discover whatever true cheese it's hiding.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
This makes me think of competitive Pokemon. Occasionally an argument will arise on whether Singles or Doubles is the better battle format. For some people doubles is more appealing, and for others it's singles. Singles is still the more popular format overall partly because that was the one and only battle format originally and that's what people are most used to (not to mention Triples and Rotations is gimmicky ****). Some of the things here said about 2v2 Smash have also been said about doubles in Pokemon like "there's more depth to it", "it's more balanced", and "things that aren't viable in singles/1v1 are viable in doubles 2v2".

Fact of the matter is that they're simply just 2 different metas, neither one being better than the other really. And I think that the same applies here.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Forgive my ignorance, but how does the vanish bucket combo work? I can't seem to find any video footage of it.

For the topic at hand, I'll pretty much always prefer 1v1 because it's easier to prep for. 2v2 is interesting but unless I can find a dedicated partner to train with I really have no interest in it.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I love 2v2 just for the sheer amount of hilarity that ensues when an opponent is stuck 1v2 and gets grabbed.

Top Bottom